PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield!

Iris
June 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
I just saw this last night, and while opinion on IMDB seems to be divided between people who loved the film and those who hated it, I was very impressed. I have very rarely spent an entire movie literally on the edge of my seat that way!

My only quibbles were twofold:

A) The monster, when you finally got to see it, didn't appear very realistic at all. Yes, yes, I know, it was supposed to be a huge freaky thing from the depths of the ocean, etc...but it simply didn't even look like it could function as a lifeform. Those spindly legs? The backwards forelegs and the weird toes? The head? The fact that the torso was massively out of proportion to its...thorax, I guess you would call it...its back end, in any case...

Just like with the Jeepers Creepers monster, I felt the impact would have been increased if the monster looked like something that may possibly be able to exist and function.

B) Can a camera even DO that thing where it switches between one tape and another?

Other than that, I really enjoyed the film. It was such an intense experience. Sure, some suspension of disbelief was required, but as a seasoned horror movie fan, that's a given for me. I thought the monster was much scarier at the beginning, when we were only getting swift glimpses of it between the skyscrapers, and hearing its chiling roars. The parasites were pretty gruesome too, although I couldn't help thinking the concept was lifted in part from Stargate and in part from Alien (the look of them was similar to Stargate's Replicators and the chest-bursting thing? C'mon!)

Personally I find one of the most terrifying concepts to be the ocean, and what may live in it. ANYTHING could be in there. I almost had a seizure in POTC when Leviathan emerges from the depths. Terrifying!!

Anyone else seen Cloverfield? Loveit/hate it? Why?

And while we're here, are there any other horror films people could recommend? (I know this wasn't strictly a HORROR film, but I do love them!) One of my favourites is the British-made movie 'Creep'.

Ulfurskona
June 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
the camera wasn't switching between tapes. It was cut like that to mimick a standard VHS recorder that when you stop and start the tape it moves forward a bit each time...so the effect was that they were taping over the tape that was originally made, hence the scenes where it was back to the first day in that first scene.

I liked the movie... though it did have some flaws, it was good for what it was.

Glowy
June 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I just saw this last night. I thought the monster was from space? I wished we could get a better view of it. It was exactly what I thought it would be.

Wolf O Volos
June 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
there was a thread about this not too long ago...

But I HAVE to add this:

Watching it on the big screen was mind blowing. I recently purchased the DvD... and well... it is not as brilliant, or exciting when you are watching it from your couch on a 26" screen...

So dissapointed.

I think I will just hope that they decide to release it to the big screen again someday.

Glowy
June 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
there was a thread about this not too long ago...

But I HAVE to add this:

Watching it on the big screen was mind blowing. I recently purchased the DvD... and well... it is not as brilliant, or exciting when you are watching it from your couch on a 26" screen...

So dissapointed.

I think I will just hope that they decide to release it to the big screen again someday.

I chose not to see this on the big screen because of the camera angles. I had heard complaints of motion sickness while watching it, and I did not want to take that chance. I was not at all bothered by them on my TV, so it may have just may have been hype.

Flaire-FireStar
June 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I chose not to see this on the big screen because of the camera angles. I had heard complaints of motion sickness while watching it, and I did not want to take that chance. I was not at all bothered by them on my TV, so it may have just may have been hype.

Re: Bolded part

This is why I'm avoiding it. From the trailers, it looked like a movie I would enjoy...until I heard about the filming.

On a regular TV screen, is it motion-sickness friendly, or will it still make a person ill?

Chibi-Fallon
June 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
If any 3rd party alien ever found this tape I'd say it provides pretty good proof for why we had to be exterminated. Good God were those kids annoying. When they finally died I got up off the couch and cheered.

Glowy
June 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Re: Bolded part

This is why I'm avoiding it. From the trailers, it looked like a movie I would enjoy...until I heard about the filming.

On a regular TV screen, is it motion-sickness friendly, or will it still make a person ill?

small screen is kewl:thumbsup:I get motion- sickness too. Hence I rented it so I could pause and barf if needed... and it was all good- not even that distracting

like Blair Witch- small screen was just fine.

Flaire-FireStar
June 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
small screen is kewl:thumbsup:I get motion- sickness too. Hence I rented it so I could pause and barf if needed... and it was all good- not even that distracting

like Blair Witch- small screen was just fine.

:lol: Well, I'm less inclined to watch a movie if it'll make me barf. That's why I avoided Blair Witch.

Glowy
June 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM
:lol: Well, I'm less inclined to watch a movie if it'll make me barf. That's why I avoided Blair Witch.

exactly- and I was OK with both.

can't sit in the back seat of a car.. but I can watch these:weirdsmil