PDA

View Full Version : Outbreak of Salmonella Poisioning Reported in Nine States.

Xander67
June 4th, 2008, 02:11 AM
ATLANTA - An outbreak of salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has now been reported in nine states, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

Lab tests have confirmed 40 illnesses in Texas and New Mexico as the same type of salmonella, right down to the genetic fingerprint. An investigation by Texas and New Mexico health authorities and the Indian Health Service tied those cases to uncooked, raw, large tomatoes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_he_me/med_salmonella_tomatoes

AutumnWitchie
June 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I knew raw tomatoes were evil! That's why I only eat cooked tomatoes. Bad, bad, evil raw tomatoes!

Fairywolf
June 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Everything is bad for you anymore. I think our resistance to germys is down and that we are slowly killing ourselves with all the antibacteria stuff. But that is just my opinion and you know how they go.....:)

Xander67
June 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM
well I certainly am going to avoid having tomatoes on my sub next time.

Caitlin.ann
June 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I don't like tomatoes anyways.

Meadhbh
June 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I heard about that. I agree that it seems like anything is bad for you any more. Besides its only salmonella its not pleasent but you probaly won't die from it.

Xander67
June 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
ok, now this has hit home. I went to wawa to get a turkey sub for my lunch later and NO TOMATOES... :(

BlackLili
June 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Same things happened last year with the e coli in the spinach. From time to time, with the way our food is grown in far-off regions and shipped in or across the country, its no surprise that an outbreak of a disease can quickly and easily cross state lines and infect many people all at once.

This should be a rousing endorsement for knowing where your food comes from. I'm willing to bet that I can do down to my local farmer's market across the street from the big corporate grocery store and get a huge locally-grown roma tomato and bite into it right then and there and I'll be just fine. Because it wasn't grown in California or Chile and shipped to where I live - it was grown 20 miles up the road out in the big farmlands just south of town.

All the same, I'll be telling restaurants to hold the tomatoes for a few weeks methinks.

WitchJezebel
June 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thankfully I'm growing my own heirloom tomatoes this year.

Fairywolf
June 13th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I haven't had time to plant any this year.

Bsides I think that my hospital is feeding the patient tomatoes so that we can have a rest and have a low censes. :D

Tabby
June 13th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I have my first little Roma tomato in the garden. I can't wait until it is ripe! Around here, most of the restaurants aren't offering tomatoes.

sunny.spoone
June 13th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I got very sad when I went to Chipotle today and they didn't have their tomato salsa.

Lylian
June 13th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I found this link to the FDA. www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html#retailers (http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html#retailers)

earthtide
June 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Taco Bell had a little sign that said they weren't serving tomatoes. The dude at the drive-in wasn't very informative, and even though I was a bit hesitant, I still had strawberry tomatoes the next day. Salmonella schmalmonella.. tomatoes are good!

la tortuga
June 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
working in the restaurant business, let's just say the tomato recall is KILLING us.

LostSheep
June 13th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I've only ever, on the infrequent occasions I eat tomatoes, eaten raw ones. Well, i might fry them occasionally, I suppose.

the answer is, of course, to grow your own.