PDA

View Full Version : Poking My Head In To Say Hi!

Lupagreenwolf
June 7th, 2008, 02:17 AM
So, hi! Just wanted to check in and see what was up. I'm currently dealing with a nasty case of strep throat--I don't recommend it at all, especially not as party favors. However, it's meant that I haven't got the energy to do much more than mess around online, so lo and behold, here I am!

I s'pose I should say something authorly here, since this is the Author's Circle. So here's a bit of an update.

--I'm just about done with the final draft of <i>DIY Totemism: Your Personal Guide to Animal Totems</i>, which'll be out in August. It's turning out to be a really awesome book, and I'm really excited about it. I've written an entire book on animal totems--and not a single animal totem dictionary to be found in it (though I do have some arguments against the proliferation of ever more dictionaries!). Plus I have a chapter on the Last Totem Card Deck You'll Ever Need (which you'll just have to wait to find out more about!)

--In the anthology end of things, <i>Talking About the Elephant: An Anthology of Neopagan Perspectives on Cultural Appropriation</i> will be out in November. I've got a great collection of essays from some really talented authors who brought up some excellent points about the issue of cultural appropriation in neopaganism. Also, I am still taking essays til the first of August for <i>Engaging With the Spirit World: Shamanism, Totemism and Other Animistic Practices</i>. If anyone reading is interested in contributing, you can find guidelines at http://www.witchvox.com/vn/vn_detail/dt_gno.html?id=15708

In other news, not so book-related, and not strep-related either, my container garden is growing like gangbusters. I live in the upper two floors of a three story old Craftsman house from the very early 1900s, and I use the neighbor's roof (which extends out past our porch) to put my containers. I have lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, broccoli, an onion, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, bush peas, corn and lima beans, as well as zinnias and petunias to attract pollinators. I've already been able to harvest lettuce, broccoli florets and greens (yes, the leaves are edible and very yummy in salad!), and the greens of the onions. It's been a real blessing, and nothing is better than produce fresh out of the garden. I do go out and ask permission of the plants before I take their leaves and other parts, and thank them when I'm done (gotta be my good animistic self ;) ).

And now that the weather is warmer here in Oregon, I've been doing a lot of hiking lately. My favorite place is the trails at Multnomah/Wahkeena falls east of Portland. I've gotten a good relationship with the Land there, and the spirits that live there. It's a wonderful place, with lots of great places to hike and explore.

So that's my life in a nutshell :) How are you?