PDA

View Full Version : Reconnected

TygerTyger
June 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Something happened to me and my Pantheism. I went off searching for the meaning of Existence and lost contact with it!

Weird!

Then something else happened. I had to get the bus home from work yesterday, which was no big deal. Okay, the bus is noisy, slow and the journeyís three times longer but the sun was shining and I had my MP3 player; not to mention a window seat.

So, as the charabanc heads through the green fields of East Yorkshire an Iím nodding along to my music I look out into a gorgeous blue sky decorated with not too many white clouds and bang!

Connexion restored.

Just like that.

Iím bobbing along on this bus full of old people who have been to the seaside for the day and college kids who probably havenít learnt anything new, grinning like an idiot because I can feel Existence all around me. I can see it in the leaves of the tree we stop close to. I can watch it in the crops moving sensuously under a gentle breeze. I feel it at a most human level watching two young people, oblivious to the world because they have each other, walking through the market town holding hands. He raises his arm, his eyes never leaving her, and she spins around with the brightest
smile ever; an impromptu dance of life and love.

Even when we reach the city itís still there.

Thereís a vibration running through the city and itís very positive for a change. I can see it in the fabulous attention to detail and genius of the master builderís execution that is our new shopping centre. Shapes, the angles, the play of light. Sometimes human creativity really does reflect the glory of the natural world.

It should have been a mundane one and a half hours commuting but it turned out to be another voyage of discovery.

I asked to be connected to my God again and that was the answer I received!

Heart of All
June 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
That's so beautiful! I'm happy for you.

I've been living in a city for the last week or so for the first time in my life, and I've been feeling I'm losing my connection. You've just inspired me to go out and look at things differently. Thanks.

Poledra
June 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I agree with Heart of Moon, this is an inspiration. This is exactly the sort of modern mythology that my heart was crying out for. Thank you!

Your description of the city is particularly gorgeous. Too often I think people idealize the country and the ancient, wearing blinders to what is around us.

I find it interesting that your search for a connection has led to a connection with others searching for connections, inspiring them to be aware of their connections. The web that is pantheism - fantastic!

Poledra

cheddarsox
June 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I sometimes receive that gift as well, a wonderful "BONK!". What a rich and varied world we live in, how precious when we are able to 'see' that.

Sionnach le Fey
June 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you for sharing that. I know exactly how you feel. Every now and then, I stop and look around me, and I'm completely in awe of the beauty of this planet. Such a comforting feeling :)

Windsmith
June 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thank you, TygerTyger. I'm going to bookmark this post, or put a little ribbon on it, or...something.

As some of you have noticed, I haven't been around here much of late. My workload suddenly went explodey, and I'm barely keeping my head above water. I'm hopeful that things will calm down soon, but in the meantime it's runrunrun with hardly any time to breathe, let alone connect.

I treasure reminders like yours that connecting to What Is doesn't have to be a big production number, doesn't have to be a big ritual I have an hour for every day. Just a breath, just a gentle reminder to myself that everything is connected, that I am connected, is sometimes all it takes.

-Windsmith

TygerTyger
June 12th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I treasure reminders like yours that connecting to What Is doesn't have to be a big production number, doesn't have to be a big ritual I have an hour for every day. Just a breath, just a gentle reminder to myself that everything is connected, that I am connected, is sometimes all it takes.

-Windsmith

That's what struck me when I spent sometime reflecting later that evening. I don't usually travel by bus but when I do it's nothing special, very mundane in fact. I was not even consciously looking for anything; it just occurred with no real effort on my part.

I think that sitting on the bus and just letting the world go by, enjoying my music and probably relaxing a bit more than I would in a car, just put me in the right frame of mind.

I was looking at the sky this morning, full of rain and lowering grey clouds, someone said it was a miserable day, I thought that it was beautiful!

RavenStars
June 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience! I think there's asking and there's being ready and there's the experience just happening.

I had a friend that was sustained by his contact with the Goddess for many years. It was a touchstone for him. I had my own version. But these moments when brain chemistry, psychology, and circumstance just line up with the universe... they are so important to me and help keep a spiritual perspective.

Novembers River
June 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Most excellent to find that connection again.

Every year I tend to go into a "spiritual hibernation." I don't like that I do, but it's just the way I work apparently.

I tend to "wake up" in the late summer and become aware through the fall and winter.

It seems I've awakened early this year and I'm glad for it. Like you I suddenly had that moment that was like a blast of wind to my face. "Return to yourself. Breathe. Live." it says to me. And I do, and I feel much more at peace during this time.

It is a great moment, eh?

Glowy
June 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Every year I tend to go into a "spiritual hibernation." I don't like that I do, but it's just the way I work apparently.

I tend to "wake up" in the late summer and become aware through the fall and winter.

It seems I've awakened early this year and I'm glad for it. Like you I suddenly had that moment that was like a blast of wind to my face. "Return to yourself. Breathe. Live." it says to me. And I do, and I feel much more at peace during this time.

This is very much how it works with me too only I wake in the mid Spring and hibernate in December.

TygerTyger
July 1st, 2008, 02:58 AM

It is indeed a great moment.

I don't hibernate so much as allow my attention to wander off as I look at other things. I'm interested in too much stuff and I'm not disciplined enough to concentrate on the world around me all the time, plus I have all the distractions of work and a family life to deal with too!

It is reasurring to know, though, that a connexion can be fixed so simply.

Altheea
July 19th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I am often so frustrated by the repeated experience of loosing my spiritual connection, and then finding it again, and then loosing it again, but reading these posts made me realize that I treasure those sudden moments of waking up. I now wonder if the loosing or forgetting is kind of worth it, because without them you wouldn't get the waking up part.

Eleisawolf
July 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Absolutely, Altheea! Without dark, light would be hard to recognize. Without grief, happiness can't be as profound. And without doubt, belief is less poignant.

And vice versa. I enjoy recognizing dark in terms of the light, plumbing the depths of grief in relation to happiness, and experiencing doubt as a counterpoint to belief. They're all valuable to our understanding of existence.

Peace

Novembers River
July 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
I am often so frustrated by the repeated experience of loosing my spiritual connection, and then finding it again, and then loosing it again, but reading these posts made me realize that I treasure those sudden moments of waking up. I now wonder if the loosing or forgetting is kind of worth it, because without them you wouldn't get the waking up part.

Yes, I think you definitely have more of an appreciation when you wake up.

Someone once said to me that they thought our bodies and minds needed rest at times from our spiritual endeavors and thus the "hibernation" period. Seems there might be something to that.

Windsmith
July 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have been writing so much over the past couple of weeks. I'm devoting a lot of time to it that would ordinarly go to my daily practice (as daily as any of it is). Sometimes, after I write for an hour, I feel like I'm snapping out of a haze, and I look around guiltily and think, My practice!

But then I look at the hundreds of words I've just poured onto the page, and I think, Well, duh. What do you think you've been doing for the past hour?

I can try like sixty (as everyone keeps saying in the book I'm reading now) to "connect," but sometimes I find that when I'm most connected, I'm so connected that I don't even realize how strong the tie is until I come out of it.

curiousfae
July 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
every once in awhile (usually in the spring- something about flowering fruit trees) i am reminded or should i say reconnected in this way as well.

for instance, someone was commenting how beautiful some old house was. that it was a hundred years old or something and wasn't that just awesome. AWESOME?!! what's awesome is the earth you are standing on right now! it's billions of years old. or the stars? - the sun for crying out loud! a huge gaseous ball that has been burning forever!!! or the fact that we can create a human being in our bodies! whoa! brings me to my knees in awe.

now if we could only revere the earth and nature with the awe that it deserves. if we could put some of the energy that we do into constructing and reconstructing buildings and infrastructures into taking care of the one true thing that sustains our life - now that would be AWESOME!

Eleisawolf
July 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
every once in awhile (usually in the spring- something about flowering fruit trees) i am reminded or should i say reconnected in this way as well.

for instance, someone was commenting how beautiful some old house was. that it was a hundred years old or something and wasn't that just awesome. AWESOME?!! what's awesome is the earth you are standing on right now! it's billions of years old. or the stars? - the sun for crying out loud! a huge gaseous ball that has been burning forever!!! or the fact that we can create a human being in our bodies! whoa! brings me to my knees in awe.

now if we could only revere the earth and nature with the awe that it deserves. if we could put some of the energy that we do into constructing and reconstructing buildings and infrastructures into taking care of the one true thing that sustains our life - now that would be AWESOME!

I agree--that would be awesome.

I do keep in mind, though, that what we build really is amazing. Nature, the universe, What Is has somehow come up with a critter that can build supercolliders and skyscrapers and, can you believe it, space ships, to reach the sky and study just how this universe works.

We are as natural as the world around us, in all our building and technological glory. Our ability to build cities and traverse oceans and create the machines we do is truly a glorious feat of nature!

Yes, nature!

As much as I love my hands buried in the soil of my garden and biting into a fresh tomato and reveling in the emotional complexity of my cat and staring at the sunset, I also love that someone, some human who extended thought beyond just sustenance and the feel of ground beneath his feet, figured out how to make a violin.

Isn't that amazing?

Peace

curiousfae
July 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
I agree--that would be awesome.

I do keep in mind, though, that what we build really is amazing. Nature, the universe, What Is has somehow come up with a critter that can build supercolliders and skyscrapers and, can you believe it, space ships, to reach the sky and study just how this universe works.

We are as natural as the world around us, in all our building and technological glory. Our ability to build cities and traverse oceans and create the machines we do is truly a glorious feat of nature!

Yes, nature!

As much as I love my hands buried in the soil of my garden and biting into a fresh tomato and reveling in the emotional complexity of my cat and staring at the sunset, I also love that someone, some human who extended thought beyond just sustenance and the feel of ground beneath his feet, figured out how to make a violin.

Isn't that amazing?

Peace

absolutely! just the fact that we can get into an airplane and be over on the other side of the world in the matter of hours amazes me! you're right technology is awesome as well! it's just that i seem take the earth and nature more for granted so at times when i reconnect with it, it stuns me!

TygerTyger
July 24th, 2008, 03:02 AM
This is an interesting development. I know a few people who would never think of technology as an extension of nature, more of an enemy actually!

However, this is a valid line of thinking, after all humans are a product of nature as is all the resources that we use to create buildings, vehicles, machinery etc.

There is nothing unnatural about technology

mystic_zoe
July 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
after all humans are a product of nature as is all the resources that we use to create buildings, vehicles, machinery etc.

my thoughts exactly!
it makes sense too...i mean technology was created by humans who are a part of nature so everthing we create, in my opinion, could also be part of nature.

Eleisawolf
July 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
my thoughts exactly!
it makes sense too...i mean technology was created by humans who are a part of nature so everthing we create, in my opinion, could also be part of nature.

So nice to have you all agreeing... I've had many arguments with people on that front. Not many people who ache for nature also adore technology. But the source is the same.

Curiousfae, I agree with you. The shock of returning to nature after being immersed in technology is indeed awakening. In a lovely way! :)

Peace