PDA

View Full Version : The Obama Sock Monkey

sunny.spoone
June 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The Obama Sock Monkey (http://www.thesockobama.com/index.html)

http://www.thesockobama.com/images/Pinnacle-large.jpg

Racist political paraphernalia or harmless stuffed animal?

I can't decide. The product description on the website is entirely benign. Perhaps its a racially insensitive product with an innocent conception?

Phoenix Blue
June 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Cue the indignant response from Al Sharpton in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Seriously, I'd vote for racially insensitive but not a conscious attempt to be derogatory. I'd like to think that people of this day and age are beyond consciously representing a black man as a monkey.

David19
June 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Seriously, I'd vote for racially insensitive but not a conscious attempt to be derogatory. I'd like to think that people of this day and age are beyond consciously representing a black man as a monkey.

I'd like to think so too, but, sadly, I'm sure there are still people like that.

That said, I'm not sure if this product is "racist", racially insensitive, probably, but I don't think the company meant any harm, I hope not anyway. There will probably be some people who see it as "racist", though (BTW, again I might be OT, but who's Al Sharpton?).

Xander67
June 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM
That is actually a toy monkey that has been around for generations. Curious George I think is the name of it... sadly now it is forever tarnished.

Garm
June 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
It might be racially insensitive but there is precedent for the POTUS being depicted as a chimpanzee

Sequoia
June 13th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Gotta agree with you. I doubt they actually intended anything harmful by it. It's just a cute little toy.

I thought it was really cute. It didn't even occur to me what was wrong with it until I read the comments - I've personally never heard of a black person being called a monkey.

I mean, there's a President Bush teddy bear, isn't there? What's wrong with an Obama sock monkey?

Dark_Tezcatlipoca
June 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I think you all that thought it was a racist doll are the true racists here.

I think about things... I mean some people argue something is racist because certain racial associations are present within themselves. Like when someone says an individual black man looks like a monkey. Couldn't it be that the person just looks like a monkey, without it being assumed they are being called that because they're black? Assuming something like that seems to me a racist thought. Even with good intentions attached.

sunny.spoone
June 13th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I thought it was really cute. It didn't even occur to me what was wrong with it until I read the comments - I've personally never heard of a black person being called a monkey.

I mean, there's a President Bush teddy bear, isn't there? What's wrong with an Obama sock monkey?

That was my initial reaction. I didn't understand why it was, like, a thing until it started getting some comments in blogger land. Granted, I have been privy to a lot of racial slurs and have heard the "monkey-man negro" thing before. However, that association has always seemed absurd to me. We're all 99.8% chimpanzee.

The Sock Monkey is such an iconic, classic toy. I love them. When I see that Sock Monkey body and that big red heel-mouth, I just get all warm and fuzzy inside.

I wouldn't mind curling up with a Barack Obama Sock Monkey. The thing is damn cute, insensitive or not.