PDA

View Full Version : Witch names

Emy
May 7th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Sooo what about these witchnames, really are there any rules to follow when it comes to picking a name?
Should you keep the name to yourself or can you tell others what name you've picked?

I hear different things about name picking all the time... help?!

bluecat
May 7th, 2001, 10:37 AM
:cool: Welcome, Emy :cool:

Have a chair in one of Kaylara's comfy couch/chair thingies and help yourself to some lemonade.

I think You will enjoy it here, there are a lot of fine folks and the discussions range from mild to wild! :cool:

As far as the Witch names go, I think that is between you and your deities. In the end you must decide. There are many, I think who will say it should be kept secret.

I do not have a Witch name it is not part of my path.

Blue :cool:

Emy
May 7th, 2001, 10:41 AM
=)

It might seem funny, but choosing not to have a witchname never even crossed my mind. But of course that too is an alternative... maybe I don't need one, and then again perhaps I do... well actually I got one... but not one for "ritual use" so to speak...

Kaylara
May 7th, 2001, 12:05 PM
There was a point when only the people in my coven knew my pagan name. After a while, I started using it in public (ie. the internet, meeting other pagans, etc.). So I guess that it's really up to the individual. So, my pagan name is Kaylara Nightshade, while my real name is Jessi. It's up to you and your dieties to decide.

Kaylara

PS. Merry Meet Emy!

Lilu
May 7th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Welcome to MysticWicks Emy!

I've heard so many different opinions on the topic that it just makes my head hurt.

There are some people who have three names - as in one they only share with the divine, another they only share with their coven (if they're in one), and another that is commonly used anywhere - and not to mention that they have their own birth-given name too!

I personally think it's up to you. If you feel comfortable sharing it, that's cool, if you don't, then don't worry about it. I have several names that are special to me, but I don't feel the need to hide them, in fact I go by several of them on the net. So really it's up to you, imho.

Bright Blessings
Lilu

Sephiroth
May 7th, 2001, 12:27 PM
my magickal name is Wolfsprite, because i feel like i have a connection with wolves and the sprite is for my innerself and because its one of my favorite mystical creatures

moonmagick4
May 7th, 2001, 01:29 PM
I think some people choose to have a "public"witch name and a private "witch name".

Mairwen
May 7th, 2001, 06:58 PM
In our Tradition, we have a public Craft Name (mine is Mairwen y Gwydd), as well as a Secret Name. The Secret Name is known only to the Gwyddon and his Gods ~ it is never written down.

Vinga
May 7th, 2001, 07:22 PM
I don't have one...unless you count Vinga which is my 'public' (or online) pagan name. I don't use it in rituals and such though, I use my real given name. I know some people say their craft names makes them feel more confident in their work and more 'magical', but personally I feel more sincere to use my own every day 'boring' name. After all that is who I am (and I'm one of the lucky few that don't actually find my name all that boring).

Fawn
May 8th, 2001, 01:28 AM
My magickal name is left to me and my pantheons.
I have a coven name-it is "High One". Yes, I am my coven's High Priestess and that is all they now address me as.
I know that through the years my name has changed just as my magickal name has also.

ruthie
May 8th, 2001, 02:15 AM
When I moved to Nottingham I saw it as a chance to dump my given name, which I never liked. A while back I actually researched what both of my names meant. My given name (Tracey), apparently means "path" in ancient French, and Ruth means "satisfied" in Hebrew. (Well, that's what my short research told me). It seems fitting that I chose that name above others when you realise that I have been in a secure loving relationship ever since I went through the name change. (Sorry a little off topic, but I love telling that story).

Mariposa De La Luna
May 8th, 2001, 10:08 AM
The choice of a craft name is a personal one. In the beginning of the Numerology thread it was said that different names can have an effect on your chart/self. The topic is on hold right now but you can search on the net. Choosing a name also makes you acknowledge you are on a path of your choosing. A craft name can aid you in getting more in that ritual mode like putting on a ritual robe. And ultimately can hide your identity.

Emy
May 10th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Thank you!

Well I have at least decided that I do actually want a craft/witch name... now I only need to find out what it shall be =) I am guessing I'll probably choose to have two names, one public and one that is "secret"...

Blessed Be

Bittersweet
May 11th, 2001, 11:16 PM
well.. i dont have one... i think it would be a good thing to have tho... but if u dont want one, then thats up to you... not having one didnt cross my mind either, but i guess i always knew there were a bunch of wiccans out there without one. im kinda in the looking phase.. i dont know what exactly would suit me.. i like welsh and gaelic and irish, from my british roots... its just that some names seen so self confident, and i was never the one to sit down and tell myself how great i am... but then again, i wasnt one for telling myself i wasnt worthy...and i HATE my given name... Hannah, which co-incedentally means god has favoured, i was allways a sucker for those name booths in the shopping centers, that told me all about.. well, me! i have no idea what Karwatowska means, but i tell you, as soon as some reasonable guy comes along with a two sylable last name, im going to go for him....but yeah, craft names... i just think that theyre real purdy, and they are sort of something between you and the craft.. you can have one if you want to, or not, your choice.. its just a nice name that makes you feel good about yourself and think of the Lord and Lady... i think...

Vinga
May 14th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bittersweet
...and i HATE my given name... Hannah, which co-incedentally means god has favoured

LOL, it's funny how we all associate names differently. Hannah is one of the witchiest names I could ever imagine. I read this series of books (fiction but amazing) years ago where the most skilled and powerful witch was called Hannah.
BTW the name Vinga comes from the same series of books although Vinga was not a witch (neither am I though).

Emy
May 15th, 2001, 12:34 AM
Let me guess, you've read "sagan om isfolket" =)
aaaah its a great series of books =)
well, I've already guessed you might have heard of the series when I saw your name was Vinga ;)

I've read the series once too, and also the following series "Häxmästaren" and now I am reading the third series, "Legenden om ljusets rike".... I have no idea what they might be called in english...

Anyways, Hannah is the name of a very powerful witch in that book, of course there are many others like Sol, Halkatla, Ingrid, Tula and then there are of course Villemo, Saga, Benedikte, Tova, Shira, etc not all of them witches though, some are more like "chosen ones".... well its rather complicated, and not really the subject of this thread =)

Blessings

Vinga
May 16th, 2001, 12:43 AM
Let me guess, you've read "sagan om isfolket" =)

Hasn't everyone? ;), at least in Scandinavia. You'd think a series of 47 books would seem slightly intimidating, but I don't know anyone back home who hasn't read them. I've read some of the books as many as 5 times! Don't think they've been translated to English yet though :(.

Sorry for getting side tracked...back to the original topic...

Bittersweet
May 16th, 2001, 06:32 PM
how cool!
are the books in english, or likely to be translated soon? they sound cool. and id love to read them.. allways been a bit partial to reading books about moi!... they actually sound great.. with me being in it, and good.. well... do u know what i mean?.. but yes.. cool!

Catey
May 16th, 2001, 07:29 PM
MM Emy :-)

In my family for many generations we have had our witch names . They can be public or private as we choose but on reaching third degree we pick a magikal name and only one other person knows what it is. It is between me and my God and Godess. It is only spoken when I cross over to the other side. It is the name I use in private rituals.

You must do that which feels right to you :-)

May the Lord and Lady always smile on you as you walk your path

Catey ( Lady Cassandra Hecate)

Emy
May 17th, 2001, 12:32 AM
Bittersweet... I have no idea if the books will be translated to english, however, I guess you could try to contact the publisher and ask. I am afraid I don't have any phone number or e-mail address to them but if you search on the net you might find it... you might try som swedish search sites like www.altavista.se and www.spray.se or the swedish phonecatalog www.gulasidorna.se the book series are called "sagan om isfolket", "häxmästaren", and "legenden om de ljusets rike". The author is Margit Sandemo. The first book is entitled "trollbunden" in swedish and is published by Boknöje AB, the ISBN is 91-7710-246-0. Well good luck!

Catey... that sounds really interesting. So you've all had witch names for generations? =) So the first name, witch name you choose if you want to share with others, but later when you pick the other name it is a secret... so how do you pick that other magickal name? the secret one? or perhaps it is a secret... just being a bit curious =)

Blessed be

Emy
May 17th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Me again...

Well I thought if anyone is interested we can move the "sagan om isfolket" discussion to the books forum... I'll start a thread there =) And this thread can remain on its topic witch names =)

Blessed be

Jazzmine
May 18th, 2001, 05:43 PM
I am using the name I chose with numerology right now. Jazzmine is my Witch name. My husband and I have always loved this name and were going to use it for a girl's name if I were to ever accidentally:D get pregnant. That didn't happen, so I now use it. The spelling of it is from numerology, though.

Emy
May 19th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Jazzmine, that's a beutiful name. You said that the spelling has to do with numerology, why did you feel that was important? Well, as for myself my given name is corresponding with numerology, and I sometimes feel that it is important... but also I sometimes feel that maybe I shouldn't let it be that important... know what I mean?

Blessings

little witchlet
May 19th, 2001, 12:30 PM
You can have more than one Pagan/Craft name. One for general everyday use, one for use in your own Coven or Circle, and another for use just between you and the Goddess!
Pick names that appeal to you, ones that really pull on your heart strings, and symbolise what your faith means to you.
Have fun!!
Blessed Be,
Little Witchlet

Jazzmine
May 19th, 2001, 04:42 PM
I wanted the spelling of the name to have a little more meaning to me than just a pretty name. And thank you, by the way. I felt that it would make it more magickal also. To me anyway, and that's all that counts, right? I believe that Mother Earth likes it also, since it is the name of one of her most beautiful flowers. It just appealed to me so much. That is why I chose it.

Semele
May 30th, 2001, 03:54 AM
I don't have a special, witchy name. My Gods know who I am as i do them. I think this is purely up to the inividual and the path they choose.

I only use Semele here so I guess this is kind of my Mysticwicks coven name. HEE-HEE!!! Now we are a coven. Woo-Hoo... let the magik begin!!!

Semele

raevyncigany
June 1st, 2001, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Bittersweet
i HATE my given name... Hannah, which co-incedentally means god has favoured

Oh but Bittersweet, I LOVE the name Hannah....if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted to name my daughter after a family member, she WOULD have been Hannah....I hear that name and funny enough, I think the same thing as Vinga...I picture the old lady from The Scarlet Letter (I think her name was Hannah....) Um...okay, that's not to say that I think you're old...sorry...it was the witch reference and...ok, I'm taking the foot out of my mouth now :rolleyes:

:crazy:

Rae )0(

magicbabs
June 1st, 2001, 02:07 PM
Well - I have been given SO many names in the past by my teachers. One of them I use is Laughing Spirit - I like this name, but it still is not ME.
I was given so many HOKEY names on my Native path.... She who dances on water (I kayak), She who can find lost things (Yuck) and the list goes on.

I prefer the name Babs. It works for me. The spirits know who I am and where I reside....I guess that is what counts.

My friend who is a Voodoo priestess calls me Magick Babs. Changed it to magicbabs....Comes close to my name....

I guess my point is - call yourself anything that resonates as your essence...

Good LucK.

Babs

Mairwen
June 1st, 2001, 04:43 PM
I think She who dances on water is a beautiful name!

magicbabs
June 1st, 2001, 05:55 PM
I like that name too, but my kayaking buddies teased me quite a bit. I use that one for water ceremonies and water purification rituals.

Most of the other names I was given were really cheezy.

I like the name "water dancer" a lot of my friends refer to me as "water dancer".

I guess it all depends on my mood at the time. Right now - I am not in the "Laughing Spirit" mood. I will be kayaking tomorrow ---so "water dancer" would be the name of the day.

HA!! I love this stuff.

Have a wonderful weekend - Babs

widukind
June 3rd, 2001, 06:32 PM
The name I chose for myself was Widukind (= child of the forest, old Germanic name) Silverwolf, silver being my favourite metal and wolves being the kind of animal I have a special bond with. Usually I go by Widukind, unless there's more of us, in which case I add the last name, too.

But about ritual names, I guess I'll ask one of the Gods to pick me a name, or to agree on a name I picked myself, which will probably not be Widukind, which I will from then on only use to converse with the Gods and/or to perform rituals under.

Brightest Blessings!

Widukind

clef0628
June 5th, 2001, 06:20 PM
My name is Lighting Cloud. I like this name because I was born during a thunderstorm!

Steven, Lighting Cloud, Clef (Given, Magick, Nickname)

Dria El
June 6th, 2001, 05:51 PM
I have a name that my coven uses. I also have my online name. But for everyday pagan stuff, I'm just me. No fancy names. No fancy titles. I was named after a song (which I love) and I love my name too. If I add my last name, it becomes quite a mouthful but I like my first and middle name. :)

All in all.... whatever you think you should do is good. It is, after all, between you and your gods.

Lucidia
June 12th, 2001, 06:59 PM
hmmm

i'm not following a wiccan path.. though i have found a spiritual name.. which i share with people who i feel may actually understand what i'm talking about....

Walach
June 17th, 2001, 08:01 AM
It all depends on how you feel about people knowing your true identity. I use another name when I'm on the internet so people can't track me as easily. I give my true name of forums and stuff, but when talking to any old person I use Walach Draconis, (Black Dragon).

Shadow Stalker
July 5th, 2001, 08:24 PM
My Craft Name

I found my craft name during a meditation, Lady Shadow Stalker, and I use it online and in my witchy community.

I have gotten a lot of comments about the 'Lady' part, from;
"If your not a High Priestess you shouldn't use Lady infront of your name" and "Take the Lady part off."

I'm sorry but this is the name I was given and I am using it proudly.....hehehe...:)......

I mainly use Shadow Stalker now though, as I am sick of the emails I get..LOL..some people?!

Well it doesnt really bother me....just clogs up my email...:)

anyway...nice to be here.

Lady Shadow Stalker

SS

raevyncigany
July 5th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Dria El

I was named after a song (which I love) and I love my name too. If I add my last name, it becomes quite a mouthful but I like my first and middle name. :)

*Rae toddles off humming Dria's real-name song... (cuz I can!) :D*

Hm hm hmmmm....Hm hm hmmmm.....hmmmm hm hm hmmm hmmmmmm...... ;) Name that tune!!!

BB

Rae )0(

Dria El
July 6th, 2001, 01:54 AM
hehe :D

luana
July 6th, 2001, 03:05 AM
My craft name is Luana, it means female Warrior. I found it while surfing the net. I believe it applied to myself in more ways then one so i picked it.
I believe that it's personal choice whether or not you tell others, i believe that the link to my gods and goddesses doesn't lack because others know it my craft name. But again as i said its a personal choice :)

Mairwen
July 6th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Stalker
I have gotten a lot of comments about the 'Lady' part, from;
"If your not a High Priestess you shouldn't use Lady infront of your name" and "Take the Lady part off."

Each to his own. However. I come from a Tradition which doesn't use the Lord and Lady titles for our Priests. IMHO, someone wandering around calling himself or herself Lord or Lady thisnthat seemed not only rude but pretentious. And I probably just ticked a lot of people off ~ but htat's my opinion, and I know a lot of people do agree with me.

Myst
July 6th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Some people have a public Witch name (everyone can know it, or all Pagans can at least), or a coven one (where just people in your coven know your special name), or a private one between them and the Gods, or all three!

It's up to you! :)

P.S. Some people think you shouldn't name yourself after a deity, some people think you can. Some people think you can't use "Lord" or "Lady" or use more then a word or two in your name. Everyone has their own ideas so decide for yourself :)

P.P.S. I picked Willow for my name along time ago because it conveys a sense of spirituality and femininity in my opinion. Recently I decided to tack the Raven part on - Ravens are messengers and also very popular familiars as depicted with Goddesses like Morrigan and Hecate. :)

Danustouch
July 6th, 2001, 01:27 PM
I think that the subject of Magickal names is an individual choice...how we choose them, how private we keep them, is entirely up to us.

For myself, I chose my magickal name, because of a vision, and an experience that I had within 24 hours of eachother.
I choose not to use it to be refferred to, except when it is for a Magickal reason. I have used it when I write a poem, or a chant, with spiritual meaning. I have used it when I write an article of spiritual importance. I have used it in Spiritual discussions, And during circle. But..I do not use it as a computer ID, or in the general public. My reasons for this are pretty strong, I believe. Names hold power. Having a secret name
gives me a "shelter in the storm" so to speak...a secret reserve. I will not use it in a place where I would feel unsafe. The internet is not always a safe place. There are many people on the internet who are mentally ill, and who fixate on people, and stalk them. Either through physical means, or magickal. Do I believe Internet Curses have any validity? No more than real life ones...as I believe, curses manifest themselves only if we allow them to. By our fear. However...having this secret name, allows me to safegaurd myself spiritually. Whatever curse a person might throw at me...It doesn't effect me. Because, they do not know my spiritual name, they are not addressing me, in spiritual terms.
If they are not speaking to my spiritual self, then how can they harm me? In other words, my magickal name, is a reminder to my subconcious, that all is well, and that within the Goddess' hand, I am perfectly safe. However..I don't hide my name from those dear to me. I don't hide my name in ritual, etc. It is for ME to decide who knows it, and who does not. And I choose, to choose wisely.

In the end, do what you feel is right, and good for yourself :)

feywytch
August 4th, 2001, 12:10 AM
MY name craft wise is the same as my given. Rain.

It is short for the longer full name. I myself wondered about craft names but I guess I just coul dnever pick one as I kinda like my own:)

.....yet my son on his rite of passage chose one....he liked the idea.

loopy
August 4th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by feywytch
MY name craft wise is the same as my given. Rain.

It is short for the longer full name. I myself wondered about craft names but I guess I just coul dnever pick one as I kinda like my own:)

.....yet my son on his rite of passage chose one....he liked the idea.

Your real name is Rain? That's too cool! :D:D I would kill to be named something nifty like that. :D:D

Mairwen
August 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
I used to know a set of twins named Sunshine and Rain ... last name Storms ... And I'm not kidding.

LadyHorse
August 4th, 2001, 03:53 PM
I myself do share my witch name with others. But I believe that it is up to the individual wether or not you share your name. Mine is LadyHorse and my real name is Heather. So as you can see it is up to you to make that decision for yourself and if it is right then I think yes but if you brlieve no then keep it to yourself.

Blessed Be

LadyHorse

Dolphin's Eye
August 5th, 2001, 02:25 PM
My public Wiccan name started as a character in a D&D game... now it's my internet name, I do have a few others, especially when it disturbes me that I can't write Dolphin's Eye and have to settle for DolphinEye or Dolphin_Eye which both annoy me and then I use Satai Shayra...

Dolphin's Eye is a meanigful name to me, and so is Satai Shayra' although again, Shayra is another D&D character I happened to play :-).

Names are always hard for me and require alot of reasurch and thinking.

My real name is Efrat, it is in Hebrew, from the bible, and means abosolutly NOTHING in modern hebrew :-), it is said the older meaning is "wise woman" but that have not being proven, nor by the way, have I EVER heard about the meaning you've mentioned to the name Ruth, it isn't an original Jewish name as well, coz the original Ruth wasn't Jewish, but I guess it has an even earlier meaning not in Hebrew! :-)

Swanspirit
August 10th, 2001, 01:18 AM
My grandmother gave me..... and an Italian name , my other grandmother gave me......My mother gave me "Swan" and a purely spirit name , that is not a word , but music..... :> and yet another that is a dance :>..... sound travels as a wave at a certain speed , but light travels faster ......and so my name is a color as well......
if you would know your name listen in the wind and watch your dreams and visions ....and learn to hear the sound of truth. It rings clear like a bell and will sound your name ....
I have a set of Tibetan bells to sound my name :>..........
We all come from the Goddess.. She of many names :>
Love and Light
Swannie

Tarot Collector
August 13th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Very beautiful thought Swanspirit. ie; the Tibetan bells... I love that concept.

There are a great variety of ideas in this thread. I especially like the idea of having new names, or additional names chosen by or given to you as you progress in the degrees of your tradition.

As to whether to reveal a 'Witch' name or not, I too tend to think it is entirely an individual preference, unless of course you are bound by an oath or covenant to keep it secret and only write or utter it under very specific circumstances.

Just as another point of view, I offer that I do not have a 'Witch' name. My sisters' family all have Native American Names given to them as they became involved in Native American traditions, and they are not kept secret, but held somewhat sacred, I believe.

As for myself, I do have a name that I am bound by oath to not reveal except under certain circumstances in a Temple ( in mortal life anyway). I only offer this to posit that there seems to be no definitive answer yea or nay, unless you have been bound by an oath to keep your chosen or given name a secret.

-Jesse-

vivitory
August 15th, 2001, 07:27 PM
hi

Dria El
August 15th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Welcome to Mystic Wicks vivitory! Glad to see you could join us!

:)

wichy1692
August 28th, 2001, 02:58 PM
I have a birth name, a family nick name, a nick name my friends call me, and a nick name used at work. I have internet id's, an names used by only those with whom I am intimate. So of course I discovered my "witch name"... what was one more identitiy, right? I discovered my name through meditation. I went to my favorite thinking spot, lit a white candle and meditated until I received my "witch name." I never really thought about it as a secret, but ironically I haven't told it to anyone either. I use it in incantations and other spellcraft, but I also have it worked into artwork throughout my home. I don't come out and tell people.."Hey that is my witch name!" And oddly enough, no one ever asked...maybe they think it is a brand name or something! Hahahaha! Well, whatever you choose... good luck!

IOLO
August 28th, 2001, 04:52 PM
OH MA' GAWD&DESS....hehehe wicca is developing more rules and regulations than all of the canons of the Roman Catholic Church, or the rules of the Emperor's court in ancient China......zeesh...glad I'm witch and don't have to contend with that....

Couldn't answer the poll because none of the choices apply. ( especially the goddess one)...

I think if you use a "secret name" for any reason.. magickal or otherwise....then it remains secret. (Wouldn't be secret anymore now, would it??..hehehe).

Freemasonry uses name only mentionable in certain circumstances....were they generally revealed...they would lose their meaning or significance....

So I guess that's my answer...as tortured as it is...hehehe

AngelsBratt
August 29th, 2001, 07:07 AM
if your magical name is suppose to be secret or now, I have one that just sticks to me, meaning, I like it, I don't have a clue where I got it, (It came to me while online) and I haven't wanted to share it. Not saying I won't just haven't felt the need to :)

Blessings, Angel

SILVER MYST
September 4th, 2001, 03:13 PM
I'M NEW TO THE RELIGION AND I WAS ALSO WONDERING ABOUT THAT. HOWEVER, MY BOYFRIEND, WHO IS ALSO WICCAN TOLD ME THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SECRET OR ANYTHING AND THAT IT, FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER, SHOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT WHO YOU ARE AS A PERSON. MAYBE A DESCRIPTION FOR ONE ASPECT OF YOUR PERSONALITY, AND NOT JUST BECCAUSE IT SOUNDS COOL.

Earth Walker
September 4th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Merry Meet and Welcome to the MW family :sunny:

let's all go to M & W...................:D

Dria El
September 5th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by SILVER MYST
I'M NEW TO THE RELIGION AND I WAS ALSO WONDERING ABOUT THAT. HOWEVER, MY BOYFRIEND, WHO IS ALSO WICCAN TOLD ME THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SECRET OR ANYTHING AND THAT IT, FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER, SHOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT WHO YOU ARE AS A PERSON. MAYBE A DESCRIPTION FOR ONE ASPECT OF YOUR PERSONALITY, AND NOT JUST BECCAUSE IT SOUNDS COOL.

Welcome to Mystic Wicks SILVER MYST!!!

:)

Sequoia
September 10th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Welcome!!

Personally, I'm not sure what my magickal name is. I would probably say Puma. . .. but again, I'm really not sure. There's a few others that it could be, very special nicknames. . . but I just don't know. ^_^ ah, I'll figure it out someday.

Twilight Garden
September 10th, 2001, 03:22 PM
I personally love having a magickal name. It helps remind me of the frame of mind I should be in when woking magick. My name has changed through the years. My first was Aurora. I chose it for a number of reasons. It balanced with my numerology. As the Goddess of Light and mornings, the name symbolised (to me) a new begining and enlightenment; both of which I was wanting.

loopy
September 10th, 2001, 04:42 PM
I went through a whole bunch of magical names, but none I really felt were me, I guess.

Actually, I think that's the problem with names for me in general-- I don't really connect so much to them. Even when someone calls my given name, I feel like they're talking about someone else. *shrug* Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.

Anyway, for that reason, I really don't address myself in ritual. I feel kind of silly when I do-- I don't really identify all that much with names, and the Gods know who I am, so it feels like someone else is doing the ritual, not me. Anyone else have that problem?

Anyway, nonetheless, I've chosen a bunch over the years. Whenever I heard one I liked, I pounced on it, I guess hoping it would bring a connection. My most recent, that I use online a lot, is beetle. It was chosen because all my other names were very floaty and mystical-like, and I don't know, I wanted something to keep me a little more grounded. Beetles have wings, come in all different colors, and are beautiful in their own way, even if people don't always recognize it. Besides that, well... bluntly, they feast on dung of other animals, and thinking of it like that is sure to bring me down to earth whenever I get on an ego trip--"I am great and powerful mystical Witch Beetle... whose name means... er... eater of dung... *insert wrinkled nose here* " :D

But like I said, I don't really use names in rituals. When I do, I feel fake. I suppose my name could be, "She Who Has No Name," but that in itself is a name after all...

loopy
September 13th, 2001, 07:53 PM
*bump*

Shadowulfe
October 13th, 2001, 01:52 PM
I tell my witchname to Pagans or Pagan friendly people...heck im using it right now. so does my fiancee...she uses her witchname about as much as I use mine

Saeryn
October 15th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Fun thread! :)

I have two Craft names. Saeryn is what I use publicly and on the 'Net. Basically, it's a variation of the name "Serin" which means "star"--I have a thing for anything celestial, particularly moons and stars. I spelled it the way I did to to correspond with me numerologically.

The name also appeals to my rather twisted sense of humor since another variation of my name, if it were spelled as"sarin", is the name for the poison nerve-gas.

I kinda prefer the "star" meaning myself.

My other Craft name, however, is only known to myself and my Dieties. I'm still deciding whether or not I might still keep it a secret in the future, but for now...

BB,
~Saeryn

kuja14
October 17th, 2001, 06:47 PM
my real wiccan name is firewolf! i have a love for fire, and a connection to wolfs! plus i chose a wolf as my power animal!

Pheonix
October 19th, 2001, 03:17 AM
I think it is up to the individual, pheonix is my chosen name in practice or when speaking to other pagans, my real name is Felicia and i used that at the beginning and i don't really think it made a difference. Pheonix is just such a better name. :lol:

Avena
October 19th, 2001, 08:05 AM
I have three different names:

1. My real name
2. The one I use online
3. And the top secret name I use during rituals and only know myself (and sometimes forget :rolleyes: )

Lily Mai
October 25th, 2001, 05:12 AM
I think that its good to have magickal name. Sadly, most of us have to keep this secret, we can't go around telling people like you can if your christian or whatever. People that don't really know me, use the name Jessica, or Jess which is my real name, and one I love. But people involved in wicca/witchcraft have a much deeper insight into me than most of my friends, even if I don't know them. So I only tell wiccans and witches my magickal name. Its Lily Moon. Lily because they are the most beautiful flowers. They look fragile, but if you feel their petals they are very tough. They are also very feminine, but not in a "fluffy" way. Which reflects me. Moon because it is the symbol of the Goddess, and because I love the night. I'm much more comftable in it than the day, which can look grey and unvititing, they night never looks like that to me. My public name is Lily Mai, the username I have here. Mai because it is my birth month and my middle name (but its spelt May, I just prefer to spell it the other way).

Hekatte13
October 26th, 2001, 10:53 AM
My belief is that wiccans should have two names, well three really, one for the use of rites that no one should know except you and the Goddess, one you use with your networking or coven use, and your given name.
My networking name is of course Hekatte I use it to meet new pagans/wiccans, and my given name is Erica.

Erica

Kaylara
October 26th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Well, as a Pagan, I look at the Craft name as just that. I use it in ritual, and online, but most people who know me call me by my real name. (Jessi)

As for having a secret name, I'm sure that in the future I will have one, but at this point, Kaylara Nightshade is what I answer to in Craft related issues, and I don't need to use my name when speaking to the gods because the essence of my being shows to them who I am.

Kaylara

NeoPhoenix
November 1st, 2001, 10:51 PM
Personally I feel that it's a good Idea to have two which names. the first you pick when you start out down the magickal path, and the second one you pick out when you become spiritually reborn in your faith. The second one I feel should hold a special significance to you, and complement the closeness you feel with your Gods/Goddesses. Whether you want to share the second name with others is up to you though. :loveduv:

NeoPhoenix
November 1st, 2001, 10:57 PM
Crap pardon my spelling I'm sick :sick: and didn't read through my post soooo imbarrassing :o :uzi: :shot: I know Witch is spelled as such sooo very embarrassing :o 8O

Dria El
November 2nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
Don't worry about it. We've all been there.

;)

Epona44
January 30th, 2002, 11:15 AM
I use two online names, Epona44 and Redwolfhawk.

Epona, as I'm sure everyone knows, is the Irish goddess of horses, also the Great Mother, often depicted as a white mare. That is a public name I chose.

My great-grandmother and great-grandfather were both 1/2 Native American, one was Scottish and Iroquois, the other was French and Blackfoot.

Redwolfhawk was given to me when I was too young to remember my great-grandmother's face. I'm not sure it really fits me, but there you go.

I have another name I use that no one knows, and no one will.

A name has a vibration, people respond to you and you to them according the perceptions surrounding a name.

"Heather" is an example. So is "Billy-Bob," and "Wilhelmina." What pictures come to mind for you?

MidnightSun
February 1st, 2002, 07:47 AM
I put I Don't Know because I only tell my magick name to people of like mind...or people who are super close to me. I've dont see the harm in telling a few people who u are close with.

NeoPhoenix
February 10th, 2002, 08:54 PM
My SS Name is great, it fit's me perfectly, but my Public Witch Name didn't feel right, so I changed that one. My question is is it ok to do that with your Public Witch Name (PWN)? My PWN use to be Sandor, but didn't feel right so I changed it to Draconis.

WynnJera
February 13th, 2002, 07:13 AM
My Craft Name is WynnJera and I go by it for everything that is not legal ~ have thought long and hard about making it legal ~ to me the more you use it the mare comfortable you are with it the more power you gain from it ~ that can not be bad can it ~ mine is a rune combo for those that have some knowledge with the stones ~ I got my name durring a past life regression reading and the reader kept refering to me as such and 10 years later it kinda stuck ~ BB ~ WynnJera ~

Myst
February 14th, 2002, 03:33 PM
I totally forget if I posted here already, so I'm going to do it again.

Some people have a name they share with anyone, a name they share with Pagans everywhere, a name they share only with people in their Circle, a name they share only with God and Goddess, or any combination thereof. Some say the name you get from God and Goddess at initiation is a secret name to bond you that should never be shared. Some say if you share your magic name it will be used against you (which I don't agree with, being as if someone's going to harm you they can find other ways then your secret name).

So it's up to you!

I've been known as Orb, Willow, Myst, and Raevyn.

Ganga
February 18th, 2002, 05:34 PM
I have often given only my legal name if I feel a bit unsure of the person I'm talking to, but generally I prefer to use my spiritual name. Anyhow, I've been considering the option of choosing a secret witchname for the purpose of protection. (That would make a total of three names - I wonder if that is overdoing it?) Both my children have secret names known only by them, myself and my husband. Others call them by their legal names. It is an ancient custom in many cultures, and I've been happy about it.

Now I'm going to go back and read the rest of the opinions in this thread, since I was too eager to write before reading through all of them.

shnen
February 28th, 2002, 10:22 AM
are there any 'rules' when choosing a name? I read how someone who used 'Lady' got a lot of hype from it. A name I fell in love with is Megami, which means Goddess in japanese.

I wanted to encorporate it, but is it wrong to do so?

thanks!

savian
March 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Up to the person. I use mine alot. Savian:)

airmist
March 3rd, 2002, 08:57 PM
Fun thread to read.

Not being a member of any coven or even any tradition, I have no given or secret name. The name I use here I adopted years ago. It was to provide some anonymity online, and I also felt it was fairly descriptive of my personality at all levels. It has come to be very meaningful to me in understanding myself and my spirituality. However, I use no name in my conscious contact with my spiritual source.

Because of my solitary practice and because of where I live, what I do and so forth, very few people know me by both this name and my given name. It is one or the other. I wish that weren't so, and I feel somewhat less than honest doing that, but it is where I am for now.

Jazzmine
March 7th, 2002, 06:29 PM
I know you feel less than honest, but you don't need to. It's a shame we still live in a country that still has religous bigotry. Oh well. For now, most of us have to be a little secretive. For me, I use my Craft name Jazzmine online and when I play games and so forth, so even my husbands friends know me by that name. But they don't know the real meaning of it. And really, I don't think that they need to know.;)

maya
March 9th, 2002, 05:06 PM
I have a name that I took for myself that I don't mind sharing with people, but I don't offer it freely. I think , if I were in a circle of people I trusted or in a coven that I'd rather them use my magickal name. It has been believed by many cultures that if you can name something by it's true name then you have power over that thing (or perhaps the ability to access the power of that thing as in the jewish beliefs concerning the true name of their god). Some christians believe that this is the way to gain power over demons, because they cannot refuse to give their name and once given it can be used to command them. I'm not sure if I believe that but I do believe that names have a power of their own.

~Maya

Nina
March 9th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Both magicakally and mundanely. You can search through telephone directories online by name (I'm ex-directory, thanks to a nasty ex-partner!!) and because you connect who you are with your name, I'm sure that people could use your name magickally.

I have my alias on here, my craft name, which is also one I use if I write anything on the Craft (the occasional article on a friend's site, and one on Witchvox once!!) and my normal name. I don't use my normal name on here, or anywhere on the net - mainly because I really don't like it, but also because I'm not a very trusting person - I think it pays to be cautious.

My Goddess has a habit of calling me by my mundane name if she thinks I'm not taking any notice of anything she's trying to tell me. I hear it, wide awake, as though someone has just called across a room to me. I've learned to listen to her when she does that!!!

PhoenixTwilight
March 28th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Well, I do have a witch name, but it is also the name of a soul that dwells within myself... so some people know the name by knowing her... (Before ANYONE calls me crazy, yes, there are seperate souls within me... including a fae chyld...lol)

Most people call me Phoenix or Twilight, though...

Twilight Garden
March 28th, 2002, 10:42 PM
I posted on here before, I'm sure. My response is just a bit different, now. I now have tons of names all over the place. Obviously here I'm LunarMist, same at Mother's Magic. At my deadjournal I'm Sorceress Spirit. Another is a public circle name. Then there's my *real* magickal name. My husband and step-daughter have a nick name for me. And then there's my birth/married name.

My *real* magickal name just helps to remind me of the frame of mind I should be in when working magick. It helps to further me from my mundane world.

I think that anyone adept to work magick on me could do so with or without my name. I don't feel that they need my name to do it. I just have to make sure I'm able to shield myself. Names are powerful, I'll give you that. But I think that they would have to know more about me than just my name.

moongazer
March 28th, 2002, 11:40 PM
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/tollington/149/magnam.html I found this reading about your issue of names and numerology lets see if you can pull it up . its pretty interesting

Yes it does work ....check it out

Flaire-FireStar
April 2nd, 2002, 01:31 AM
I voted no.. But that's only part of it~ I do share part of my name..When I post myself on other boards, I use Canyon....The last third of my name and I don't mind doing that...The rest of it I keep to myself though. :)

blindsight
April 27th, 2002, 12:21 PM
My given name is seth, meaning either appointed or the egyptian god of chaos.My craft name is blindsight(self explanitory). My circle name known only to me and the gods i cannot tell but what it means. it means "good fortress" "fortress withstanding time" "good hill" "lasting hill" "good dark"

Myst
April 30th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by moongazer
I found this reading about your issue of names and numerology lets see if you can pull it up

Some will match it up to their birth # (like on this page), their mundane name, a number they want to manifest in their life, a special #, etc.

violetrose
May 1st, 2002, 09:58 AM
I guess mine would be Big Mouth, just for the simple fact that I can't learn (or Won't)to keep it shut.All this has gotten plum confusing.How do you remember what name you used where?And why would you have 3-4 to begin with??????I am American Indian, Cherokee to be exact, and yes, we have a"spiritual" name I guess you would say, but its only one.And is it just a matter of picking one out for yourself?I don't understand the logic in that one. I always thought your magical name had to be a part of who you are, not who you want to be...Am I wrong in thinking this????????All these names are names you have given yourselves.What happen to "the given" name...Not your birth name, but your EARTH name.

Myst
May 1st, 2002, 02:06 PM
Hm, I've never heard of an "earth name". While I don't have 3-4 magical names, I do have several nicknames. Believe me, I remember who calls me which one (whether it be gnome, ea, cg, squeaker, myst, etc.)

Some say if the name is revealed to us, that's because it *is* a part of us, and it's just making itself known.

How did you find your "earth" name?

Phoenix Blue
May 6th, 2002, 02:37 PM
"Squeaker"? :eyebrow:

Myst
May 6th, 2002, 02:47 PM
that's what I thought I said. :eyebrow:

Meadowsweet
May 6th, 2002, 04:16 PM
MM all

Well, I was given a name when I was baptised a Christian at six months old. To me, that really nagates it as a name I can use in any spiritual way.

I tend to think of meadowsweet as my Pagan name.

I don't have any other name at the moment but I imagine that when I become more familiar with my gods and goddesses one will come to to me.

BB

Meadowsweet

Sequoia
May 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
~~*bumpity*~~

PeleRising
May 10th, 2002, 01:02 PM
the name rainnhawk is a special one to me...i chose it soon after i discovered that the red-tailed hawk was one of my spirit guides. For me rain is a glorious thing... in college i used to go for long walks in the rain... even after dark(not exactly safe).... i added the extra n to make the name like raining... rain-n... rainn... a name of action. And like i said Hawk after my spirit guide who announced her presence in my life with a bang.. pushing the then unhappy christian... into and onto the path she always was meant to be on. It will always be a special name as it represented my first step... As to having a secret name... i dont have one at the present.. and havent felt the need... but we will see... who knows what the future holds.... and isnt that glorious....

Phoenix Blue
May 28th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Quoth Myst:
that's what I thought I said. :eyebrow:
Yeah, that's what you said all right. . . but is there a story behind that, or did you just throw it out there to throw it out there? :p

Myst
May 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Ah ha you think I'm going to tell :p

Phoenix Blue
May 28th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Think? No, I don't think on the first working day of any given week. :nyah:

Hope? Possibly. Bribe? :bigredgri If I know the price!

Myst
May 28th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Oh I forgot yesterday was a holiday for you folks

Unfortunately for you tho it wasn't for me, mwa ha ha!

pitchafit
June 18th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Well it's been 5 years and I still don't have one. Maybe someday if I can ever find one that suits me. For now, the one my parents gave me is just fine.

Did I mention I procrastinate a lot?

Raynewitch
June 18th, 2002, 10:15 AM
I use mine for everything Internetty - it is easily identifiable as me I think :)

Grey
June 21st, 2002, 06:37 PM
I think it depends.... If its an Alias (ie otherwise known as...) then fine. But if its your souls name then I'd keep it close and keep it safe. Names have alot of power (have your mom yell at you in your full name if you don't believe me) and Ive heard everything from binding a person against there will to curses to blessings, even stealin away there power or souls! but then again these are folklore so don't swet it.:boing:

wicca3000200020
August 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
i do not have witch name so it really does not matter to me. If it matters to you I am all for it

PhoenixFire
August 31st, 2002, 03:28 PM
I dont know much about this yet, but I rearly post my real name anywhere online. I dont have a "Witch Name" yet, but when I get one it will be cool and you will likely know it. Dont be shy. I cant speek for the others, but I dont bite unless provoked.

Alaiyo
September 1st, 2002, 03:32 AM
I never considered adopting a craft name in that I didn't go, "Okay, go the altar clothe--check, carved my wand from a fallen maple branch--check, need to get craft name today..." I felt that if I had one I had one and if I didn't it wasn't the only thing that defined me as a 'practioner.'

Mine which is the same as my username here came to me one day. I was reading "Raisin in the Sun" and there was a part where Beneatha, Walter lee's sister asks this African student whom she befriended about a name he keeps calling her which is Alaiyo. Beneatha's mother Lena also asked about the meaning because it 'sounded nice.' He told them that in Yoruba it meant "one for who food is never enough..." That stayed with me for a while and I identified with that. And so decided that this would be my craft name because it represented why I set upon this path. And it describes me to a T.

In terms of sharing one's witch/craftname, I'm comfortable either way. I never shared my name with anyone who didn't know of my spiritual path because it never came up. A tad "don't ask don't tell" but I have no qualms telling if asked. Those who do know and other pagans know of my name and generally ask me how I'd like to be called and I answer accordingly and they call me accordingly. People who are hateful will use your given name in evil awful ways, I've found.

I must confess that until recently my given name was rarely used here and had "old maid" overtones so I still feel strongly that I should use it at every opportunity because it's a beautiful name.

I do also admit though when I'm "Alaiyo" it's like changing from Prince Adam to He-Man. I'm still me but I think a little differently and different talents are needed.

I've always gone with what's comfortable and what makes sense and what the voice within tells me.

I think this is probably the most "deep" I've been here which surprises me--I have expected that I would say Drink Pepsi Blue or something.

I hope that everyone finds the knowledge that they seek and hopefully for all of you as it is for food will never be enough.

JACKIE
September 7th, 2002, 07:51 PM
I THINK IF YOU WAIT FOR THE GODDESS TO LET YOU KNOW WHO IT IS SAFE TO GIVE YOU MAGIC NAME TO, IT WOULD BE OKAY. ALL OF YOU HAVE GREAT POINTS!
JACKIE

Sequoia
September 9th, 2002, 04:32 AM
hmm. . . I probably posted earlier, but. . .^^;; I've forgotton, and being lazy about posts as I am, I am not going to go back and search for it. . . *winks*

For me, I have had a lot of different names. I don't know if some would be considered "witch" names or not. . . I have some names that mean very special things to me, for different reasons. Perhaps because only certain people use them. . . or I only identify with them in certain cercomstances. . . things like that. If someone called me "Befu" it'd be the same as calling me "Puma" or "Beth."

Then again, there's the ever-fun experience of having your full name yelled! ("Elizabeth Reneé Adams!!!!" *shudder!*)

some do have more power. . . but perhaps only as much power as you give them, or because of their usage.

For example, though. . . there's one nickname I only let two people use, for me. It's very sweet and special to me, but if someone walking down the street called me by that name, I would be shocked and I suppose that would give them a measure of power over me! They knew something about me, and I didn't know why! The same as if someone called me one of my very old names, that I heard called one night, between sleep and awake. Only two people (not the same as above) have ever recognized that name as being me, and only one ever regularly called me it. She doesn't even use it today. So it would be very, very unnerving to be called by it.

I suppose it's the surprise factor, of someone knowing something about you that they shouldn't have, that gives them power over you. Or the fact that they have a stronger tie than others might, through that name.

but who is to say what one's "true" name is? How can you be sure? *smiles* and if you don't share it every once in while, even just with your journal or something. . . you might lose it!

Then again, some belive to write your true name is to bind that thing to you! Or to know someone or something's true name, to speak it or know it is to bind that person or thing to you! If they know yours, they can have that bond.

There are lots of ideas about 'true' names. . . or 'witch' names maybe. . . but I think it depends on the cercomstance, or if that name really is your 'true' name, who says it, what they're trying to do, etc. . . . :) did that make sense?

Flaire-FireStar
September 16th, 2002, 09:15 PM
For example, though. . . there's one nickname I only let two people use, for me. It's very sweet and special to me, but if someone walking down the street called me by that name, I would be shocked

I, too, have one of those names. However, someone found out what it was and posted it on a message board a while back and I was really taken off guard. I went straight to the person who calls me by that name and demanded how the other person knew about the name. It happens that it was just coincidence, but I was still really shaken up. :dis:

Willow_Raindancer
October 1st, 2002, 05:12 PM
My magikal name is sort of self explanitory.
I like to be in the rain,
I love all kinds of Willows.
I have a Weeping Willow (10 ft tall)
and Pink Pussy Willow (30 ft tall, Yeah, it.s big!)
in my back yard.
I'm currently looking for a standard
Willow for my side yard.
Willows are flexable. They bend rather than break
in a storm, where an ordinary tree would fall!
Sort of a metaphor for my personality!
:D

CerridwynM
October 1st, 2002, 08:34 PM
might as well add my thoughts :) as a relative newbie I usually just read but what the heck :P I cant even explain why I chose the name Cerridwyn Morgana...it just came to me out of the blue...partly because I need a name for online and partly because I think for my case, a new name is a way of celebrating a new path......so for now I have a public witch name.....maybe I will be *given* a secret one in time to come.....but for now, it works!

Tala17
November 9th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Can anyone tell me how to chose a name because i have looked at this one site and it told me how to dicide if a name that i have chose was right for me but i didnt give me any rules about what was right for me ? Are there even any rules?

but anyways I was just wondering if there was one name right for one peson or if it could be anything i liked?

i'm confused
help please! thanks
Tala

Eurocat
November 9th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Tala,

I got my name from an elder person who helped me learn about the religion, and I know a few people who also got their names this way.

If there is an elder who is guiding you, I suggest you ask them for help. I feel it is a great honour to be named by the person who has been guiding you.

Blessings!

Tala17
November 10th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Thank you for the suggestion! i actually had a name recamended by my high priestess. it is a very powerful name and she said it fit me very well, so i think i should go with what she says because she has been a high priestess for some time now and she knows a lot more than i do! what do you think?

thanks again,
bb!
Tala

wunjo
November 11th, 2002, 04:01 AM
What a fun thread! I wanted a craft name, and spent a lot of time reading trying to find one that fit me and that I liked. Being solitary and a newbie, I didn't have much help in this. When I first found this site, I needed a user name, and the same day, I had read a page on runes that described Wunjo as meaning peace and joy. Two things that I treasure! So it just felt right. I have used it on line since then. I have no other craft name, and have never felt the need to use one when conversing with my Devine. Only one of my daughters, and one friend knows this name, probably because I've not shared this part of my life with anyone else!

Tala17
November 11th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Good news i found the perfect name!!
it works so well for me!!
I can also help people in the search to find there's if im needed

BB
Tala

Eurocat
November 11th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Tala,

What name did you decide on?

Originally posted by wunjo
What a fun thread! I wanted a craft name, and spent a lot of time reading trying to find one that fit me and that I liked. Being solitary and a newbie, I didn't have much help in this. When I first found this site, I needed a user name, and the same day, I had read a page on runes that described Wunjo as meaning peace and joy. Two things that I treasure! So it just felt right. I have used it on line since then. I have no other craft name, and have never felt the need to use one when conversing with my Devine. Only one of my daughters, and one friend knows this name, probably because I've not shared this part of my life with anyone else!

Tala17
November 11th, 2002, 06:27 PM
I think im going to go with Amber Wolf Because Amber was the name the high priestess gave me and the wite wolf is my totem guide
what do you think? i like it a lot

thanks for asking
BB!
Tala-

Eurocat
November 11th, 2002, 07:16 PM
VERY nice and very powerful. Your HP is wise.

Originally posted by Tala17
I think im going to go with Amber Wolf Because Amber was the name the high priestess gave me and the wite wolf is my totem guide
what do you think? i like it a lot

thanks for asking
BB!
Tala-

Konstantine
November 11th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Hey, I'm a newbie who's just starting down the Wiccan path and this thread really helped me see other people's opinions and ideas on choosing a craft name. Thanx! :-)

Autumn Wolf
November 21st, 2002, 04:00 AM
I read up on how to choose a magickal name, made list after list of the things I related to, wanted to relate to, etc. I kept thinking that I'd figure it out before my self-dedication ritual, no problem! I seemed to add more and more choices, but still thought "I'll decide when I find the perfect one." Well, I had planned my ritual for my 46th birthday, and was so nervous about doing it just right. I went over everything several times, until I knew just what to do at just the right time. And everytime I practiced, when I got to the part where I announced my magickal name, I said "I'll know it by then." The big day came, and I started my ritual. I got to the new naming part, and realized that I'd never chosen one from my long, long list! I just popped out "Autumn Wolf" in my ceremony, and it felt so right! I think that all my thinking was for ME. The actual naming was for the Lady. I feel very comfortable with my name, and I feel comfortable sharing it with others who walk the Path.

Kilia
November 21st, 2002, 03:16 PM
Autumn Wolf, thanks for the inspiring post.

I too got my name that way...I kept going over and over and saying outloud many names, but always seemed to come back to "Kilia"as it just felt right for me. :)

Amber Ravenstar
December 1st, 2002, 05:14 PM
I have two magickal names. One is public, the other not. I have used Amber Ravenstar as my Pagan name in the community for more than 10 yrs now, and some people only know me as Amber, not as Sue! :)

But there is another name which is between the Gods and myself, and no one else. That is the name to which my sould resonates, and to give this name to another person would be to give them free access to my soul. Not something I am willing to share with anyone but my Gods.

Mareth
December 3rd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Amber Ravenstar
I have two magickal names. One is public, the other not. I have used Amber Ravenstar as my Pagan name in the community for more than 10 yrs now, and some people only know me as Amber, not as Sue! :)

But there is another name which is between the Gods and myself, and no one else. That is the name to which my sould resonates, and to give this name to another person would be to give them free access to my soul. Not something I am willing to share with anyone but my Gods.

I am in complete agreement here! My public Craft name is Mareth SummerWind and even my "mundane" friends know it. I like the name so much that I had my first name legally changed to Mareth last March.

My other name, however, is so private that it won't be found in any of my writings, even those not intended for the eyes of others. That is the name that only my Gods and I know. Knowing someone's true name gives a person a certain power, something which you'll find said in various myths from around the world.

B*B,

-Mareth

Stacy
December 27th, 2002, 12:38 PM
I have none.. Not a private nor public..

I never thought of it as too much important.. I think of myself as having my own (given) name as a form of destiny without me having to edit it..

Plus, even if I chose some name, my mood changes so often that I don't think I would stuck to it 8O

Lainyle
December 30th, 2002, 12:01 PM
The name I use publicly is "Lainyle", but I consider that more of my spirit name than a witch name. Before I was a pagan, I found it in a dream in which many people were calling me it. Then when I found my Path I made myself a witch name- which I keep to myself. I use Lainyle so much, though, that even if I wanted to keep that name a secret I couldn't. Everyone close to me calls me "Lai", but not many know what the name actually is!

This newbie has a question! :) I read somewhere that if you reveal your witch name to others, they can use it against you or do magick in your name. Is this true?

finnbheara3
January 23rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
I havent read all the posted replies to this topic...so forgive me for my laziness. If my reply is redundant...please forgive me for that as well. I would just like to point out that Ann Moura, the author of the Green Witchcraft series of books, recommends quite simply that one following the GREEN path should have a craft name, which can be more or less "public"(as the follower decides), and a "working" name that is known only to the follower and the Goddess. Seems like a lot of decision making to a neurotic person such as myself....LOL.

Blessings!
Finn

AnakeRose
January 24th, 2003, 06:01 PM
My magick name is AnakeRose.

Anake: The name of Anake has given you sensitivity and appreciation for the finer and deeper things in life. You can enjoy reading, study, and contemplation about many different subjects. When your interests or curiosity are aroused, you work intensely at new undertakings, but your interests often wane when you encounter drudgery and monotony, with the result that you leave many things unfinished.

Rose: has given you a quick-minded, sensitive nature. It gives you a creative ability in art, music, singing, or fancywork and an appreciation for refined surroundings. Your sociable nature expresses affection, kindness, and thoughtfulness to the extent that it is difficult for you not to be affected by others and governed by your emotions, rather than by logic and reason. As you respond to love and encouragement from others, your romantic and dreamy nature can easily lead you into love affairs. Your desire for peace at any price can result in going out of your way to avoid arguments and confrontation or hurting the feelings of others. Also, budgeting can be a problem as you enjoy spending money and can easily ignore being practical. The rose is also my birth flower.

So this totally describes me :D

AnakeRose

Rani Drummond
January 29th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Goodness, I can't believe I haven't been through this thread before!
My mother has a secret name which even I don't know (and there's not much she doesn't tell me) but she made up a symbol to stand for it so that she can write it down.
I'm not sure if I exactly have a craft name. I suppose if it's anything it's Rani. My given name is Donna Green, which until very recently I thought was dead boring. But last summer it struck me that it's actually a very Pagan name, so I'm growing fond of it. But I've been using Rani for a long time. Donna is the Italian word for Lady, so I feel justified in using Lady in my name! Rani is means the same in Romany.
Hannah, I know you posted a long time ago, but I'm slow! In my town's history the most famous witch was called Hannah, and we all love her!
I like the idea of a secret name for your child. I think when I have one I'll do that.
And finally, Lily Mai!! I live in Sussex, and it's so rare to find anyone on the boards who is so close! Whereabouts in Kent, if you don't mind my asking?
Donna

BrigitCayenne
January 31st, 2003, 10:28 PM
my Craft name is Brigit Cayenne. i have no reservations about sharing my name with others who walk the path and with my best friends. i only have one Magickal name, and that is it.
Brigit is a more uncommon spelling of the deity Brid or Brigid. Cayenne felt exotic, individual and earthy.

finnbheara3
January 31st, 2003, 11:07 PM
I have a real "soft spot" for that particular Goddess...she is my patron. The spelling is not THAT uncommon. Just let me say...please...I think you have chosen a beautiful name.

Blessings!
Finn

Duir
January 31st, 2003, 11:11 PM
I said Yes. My religious name is Duir. I use it in my coven, and a lot of people who aren't related to my religious life know it, too. I guess it's just because I'm so comfortable with the name.

Weeping Willow
February 2nd, 2003, 03:27 AM
I know I'm new here but I thought I would put in my thoughts. I had trouble picking a name for myself. I spent a lot of time looking up how to pick it. Then I saw the word willow and it caught my eye and something stuck. I realized that in the last year my life has had a lot of problems in it and that I've had trouble dealing with it. Hence I came up with the name Weeping Willow. When I learn to deal with the things happening in my life, perhaps I will move past this name and desire a new one. But for now, my public name is Weeping Willow. My private name is between me and the deities.

Zander770
February 2nd, 2003, 07:35 AM
Ya mean, The One So Very Closest and (Truly) The One Most Nearest and Dearest to The Bone?!? WAAAAYYY Down There, Deep, By The Marrow?!?

That's Easy:

Soror Charity Marie Henderson-son.

~z~770

redheadwitch
February 2nd, 2003, 08:01 PM
My public Craft name is Mareth SummerWind
Amber Ravenstar

** whatever! you two sound like novel characters, and i'm almost in love with you just from your names! where did you find mareth? that is so gorgeous!!!

boy, i don't even have a last name for my first name!

i have two names...one i use on sites like this ~ napaea ~ and i consider it my pagan name. i use it in pagan writing as well.
but i don't have a last name for it. :(

the other name is sort of my 'goddess' name...not really one i use in connection to the goddess, but one that is connected to a past life. but - ooops - i've told a couple people about it, so it probably isn't my "private" name.

how did you all choose your private names? i've wondered about whether or not to do that, and it just hasn't really happened. i suppose i'll know what and when if i need one. but did you all decide you wanted one first, and then it came? or did it just come?

but i love my goddess name so much, i want to hear it all the time.
that will have to be one i share with someone! my ears love to hear it!

Lacykitten
February 5th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Wow, lots of information and opinions here!! I will now share mine.

First of all, to me, a Pagan/Wiccan/Spiritual name is not necessarily something you need to be given. It can be given, by a teacher, a guide, or a deity.. or by yourself. It can represent who you are, or qualities that you feel you should develop, or are developing.

That said.. yes, you can have public, craft, and private ones, or any combination.

My public name is Mau Concolor. Mau means Cat in Egyptian, which I chose because I am in love with the Egyptian gods. Concolor comes from Felis Concolor, the Puma/Couger/Mountain Lion's scientific name, "cat of one color". So my name means "Cat of one color," but combines my Egyptian beliefs as well as my totem, the Puma. I chose this name.

Before this, I had been Maharet. The name just came to me, but the description on the kabalarians site fit me to a T.. and so it seemed to suit me.. but it didn't last long.

To me, my current name is very fitting. I am a cat. I am so much of a cat *laugh*.. and the Puma is very strong and wise, with many of the qualities that I long for. In fact, when I found/chose my name, I found that I had started developing these.. as if under the tutelidge of a Puma guide.

I don't have a coven name, as I'm not in a coven.. however I was briefly and we all used our "public" Pagan names in that. I also don't have a private name, I don't feel as if I need one.. or more aptly, I feel that I'll be given a private name when the time comes. :)

As far as real names.. I like mine enough. Lacy Jae.. it's nice enough.. but doesn't strike me as spiritual. I got LACY done at a numerology thingie once and it talked a LOT about being a healer - which I feel strongly about.. so that's cool and fitting..

Nicknames, I have a few.. but I use Lacykitten all the time, as I'm like a kitten! *laugh* When I don't use Lacykitten I usually use Mau Concolor.. though lately I have become obsessed with frogs.. and snakes.. I found that I am a Snake, in the Clan of the Frog (after my obsession) so I'll hopefully find a name related to that.. I was told I have many guides around me, and I am sure some are related to the Native Medicine Wheel or whatsit (brain not working! lmao!) and have some name for me..

There's another thing. I myself have no problem having a bunch of names. Mau Concolor/Mau/Maumau is my public pagan name.. but I might also have a fully Egyptian name.. and a Native name.. and this, and that.. I have not contacted guides so I have no idea.. but I am sure many might have names to call you: like a nickname in their own tongue or system so to speak.. which is a neat idea..

anyway. I've blahblahblahed too much..

WynterWynd
February 5th, 2003, 05:21 AM
My public online name is the one I use here, and most every place online.

My private one, is one that came to me in a dream, as I have never been told someones name in any of my dreams, I have always recognized people, this seemed to me like I was being given my name.;)

AstraSkye
February 5th, 2003, 12:32 PM
On the subject of names, I think one is entirely free to choose their own craft name, and free to choose whom to tell it to. Also - and I'm sure some people are going to disagree with me on this - I think one can change craft names whenever they want. Say you use one name while learning about your future path - when you lateron decides to walk it, maybe you want a new name, to symbolize this big change. To leave behind your old self, in a way.

Myself, I go by five (!!!) names...

1. The name my parents gave me when I was born. These days, they are the only ones using it, too.

2. The nickname that became a name - I changed names in junior high school because I hated my given name, and everybody called my by this nickname. So, number two is my actual first name nowadays.

3. An English - IMO - translation of my first name, used when speaking to non-Swedes. Mainly used because my first name is a mess with a lot of Swedish characters. ;)

4. A nickname I got at age 14. Used almost everywhere online, and also used by some people offline.

5. AstraSkye - my "craft name" (even though I'm still not following a path). This name is used online in forums such as this one, while studying paths, and when writing in my "BoS" (since I don't follow a path, I hesitate calling it BoS... There aren't many rituals or spells written in it, just lots and lots of notes from books I've read on the subject). Anyway - this name is not known by any of my friends or school mates, and I doubt my boyfriend knows about it.

Lacykitten
February 5th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Ooo, I also wanted to say..

I don't think calling oneself "Lady blahblah" is disrespectful, rude, or presumptuous. I am a woman, I am a lady.. if I want to call myself Lady SilverPuma - why not?

I don't see how it is disrespectful, just because some people refer to the God and Goddess as "Lord" and "Lady" - not everyone does.. and those are just titles, not official names, to some. I mean if I wanted to call myself Goddess SilverPuma I could see how it would be presumptuous.. but not Lady or Lord. *shrug* To each their own but if my name ends up having Lady infront of it, anyone who doesn't like it can just deal with it. :>

AstraSkye
February 5th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Yes, I agree with Lacykitten... :thumbsup:

Rani Drummond
February 10th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Weeping Willow, I would say if you manage to deal with your problems then Weeping Willow is still the perfect name, because if you tell all your troubles to the Weeping Willow tree, she knows how to use them. I have a willow outside my window which is very good for crying under when I'm stressed.
But of course, it's up to you!!

Eirwen Hartsock
February 12th, 2003, 11:43 PM
I think if you want to tell you name it is ok, although I would check with my deity first. Mine is Eirwen Hartsock, obviously.

If you want to know how I got my name I'll tell you...if you don't wish to know, you can stop reading now.

I was going threw a list of names and saw Eirwen, I didn't read the meaning, but for the next two to three days I kept thinking about it. I think it was because I asked my deity if she wished to call me something other than my given name. I went back and read the meanings of the name. Eirwen means "blessed snow" or "white as snow" depending on which interpretation you wish to go by. Which I have to say I was grinning at the translation, you see, the day my parents brought me home from the hospital it was snowing and Mum said she remembered carrying me into the house and I had snowflakes on my eyelashes. So I thought it was very appropriate for my deity to choose the name for me. I thank her for it too.

Hartsock is a family name, it was my great-great-grandmother's maiden name, and I owe much to her I'm sure. She was a healer and herbalist, and probably even a witch. I thought, and my deity agreed, that Hartsock worked quiet well with Eirwen. My deity gave me this name as a soul purpose to share with others.

My friend Maren also liked the sound of Eirwen Hartsock, so it became my MW name.

BrigidMoon
December 10th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Question is, how do you get a witch or spirit name?

Celestial Violet
December 11th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Hello,

I have an online Priestess name, and a private ritual name. So it's the best of both worlds--one public, one secret.

_wiz_

Celestial Violet
December 11th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Our mystical names can come in many different ways. Sometimes a name will appear when you're reading, sometimes it will come intuitively. Or you'll be drawn to something in particular, which will suggest a name. My name, Celestial Violet, is somewhat derivative of my given name, while reflecting cosmic qualities, and of course my favorite color. I use this name online, and I have a secret, private name that no one knows but the goddess--which I use in ritual. It is a quiet, unspoken name.

You will find your name or names in your own way, and I don't believe there's a right or wrong way to do it--as long as it really resonates with you!

_wiz_

BrigidMoon
December 11th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Our mystical names can come in many different ways. Sometimes a name will appear when you're reading, sometimes it will come intuitively. Or you'll be drawn to something in particular, which will suggest a name. My name, Celestial Violet, is somewhat derivative of my given name, while reflecting cosmic qualities, and of course my favorite color. I use this name online, and I have a secret, private name that no one knows but the goddess--which I use in ritual. It is a quiet, unspoken name.

You will find your name or names in your own way, and I don't believe there's a right or wrong way to do it--as long as it really resonates with you!

_wiz_

Oh.
Well, this name came to me one night. And later, I found out it's meaning and it fit! Does that count?

Celestial Violet
December 11th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Yes--if it fits, then I think it would be a keeper! It's a lovely name.

I've only just come back to Mystic Wicks after several months absence. It's great to be back. And it's very nice to meet you.

_wiz_

Karma Chameleon
December 11th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Well I have alot of names that people call me by. I have never really liked giving people my name because well call me supertious but I feel like they have some kind of power by knowing my name. I hardly ever go by my legal name (even my credit cards have a nick name on them). Most people call me by some various mundane nick names.

The two closest people in my life know my craft name and call me by that. The only reason I told them is because I know that they can be trusted completely and would never use the knowlege of my name against me.

And then I have a name which I have had since I was 4 and that I have shared with no one, so only the Gods know it. It's just between me and the Gods!

audi
December 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
um if i am willing to tell people that i am wiccan that im ok with telling them my name. whereas, if i am not comfortable enough to be open about my beliefs thatn obviously they dont get to know my name. for me it is a way to show my trust in someone that i know cares about me. plus i like to tell it to other fellow pagans as a way for us all to bond together more. ::shruggs:: only my thoughts. *hugs*

wakywitch
December 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I voted yes.
Your witchy/magical name is a personal choice.

kissesree
December 13th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Question is, how do you get a witch or spirit name?my "witch name" is a goddess that I relate to.

Nacken
December 14th, 2004, 04:34 AM
We normally choose craftnames ourselves and they are known publicly rather than being secret. But there are some names that are more newbyish or fluffy than others. I don't know how many people I have met named Jade. And if going the route of choosing the name of a deity, do research before you make the choice. It isnt uncommon to hear someone naming themselves after a deity who isn't very pleasant. I also have a peeve concerning people who are self initiated and who have read half a dozen books but call themselves Lord Silver toilet flusher or Lady Bright Shiny Thing. You are only a Lord or Lady after receiving your second degree, and in any case few of us use the title anymore. It is considered somewhat too showy.

Silver_FireStar
December 14th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Well y'all know my magickal name and Damnyana's most people call me Silver on the streets, this other person I used to know legally changed their name to it. But someone else I know won't tellme hers. I didn't push I simply asked if she had one and she replied yeah, but it's private. Go with the flow hun. Whatever you deciede you do. One thing I was taught:
Your magickal name is who you are, it holds all your power, those who know your name can feel your power and know it's you, those who don't feel a power and can't locate it.
Another thing someone told me
'Your name is your magick if they know your name they know you, and knowing that gives them power over it.'
I voted for go ahead and tell, but don't shout it from the rooftops. Tell those you like and leave those you don't guessing.

Crow Laylancer
December 14th, 2004, 08:09 AM
mine is Syrus WindFox(Syrus i just liked and Wind is my favorite element,and finally fox is my totem) and i generally tell people i go by Sy when meeting them nowadays but my real names Casey

Luminessence
December 16th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I think it depends on what feels right to you. Personally, I wouldn't tell anybody mine, but I don't have a problem with others doing so.

Fireheathen
January 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I voted yes. My witch name i Fireheathen, and I use it as an alias. I feel that it helps to sort draw other witches closer and push "witch haters" away. But how you use your own name must be decided by yourself.

:devil:

LoriSage
January 4th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I voted no since I like to keep some things private. The time I spend in my witchy space is between me and the God/dess. I haven't even told my boyfriend yet - and he's Wiccan! :gagged:

-Lori

Rhianna813
January 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I voted yes. My personal belief is the Gods or Powers that Be do not need a special name to reconize me. They can see me by my spirit. Therefore having a Pagan name is for my enjoyment and I do enjoy them! I have over the years enjoyed having "special" names for SCA events, role playing games, and Pagan groups. I think everyone has the right to call themselves whatever they like and change their birth name if they want to.

Because Paganism is spiritually related having a special name for Covens, ritual, and magic can help focus you, put you in a spiritual mindset, and leave your everyday struggles behind if needed. I am not partial to my mundane name (Christina Marie) and really love Rhianna. I started going by Rhianna a few years ago in my Pagan community. Soon more friends knew me by that name then Tina. When I got married in 2002 I changed my name from Christina Marie to Tina Rhianna. I am very happy with this decision. So I guess I no longer have a Pagan name... I have new middle name.

Rhianna

Arie
February 8th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Blessed Be.
I am new to this board.....I am a solitary wiccan. I am starting over so to speak. I was practicing and then all...well my life went down the well. So i am starting over in a new town.
I voted no. I am a very private person. I use my craft name for spells etc I do not use it in public etc.
I'm sure there will be a time when i will have to share my name but i will deal with that when i get to it.
Goddess bless.

StarSpiral
February 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I didn't reply because I have both yes and no as answers.
I have a craft name which I use in circle with other pagans and online and I have another one that I received in a vision and is strictly between me and the Goddess.

Zhr Morgana
February 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Well my real name is Sara, and my craft name is Zhr Morgana...it took me a long time to decide to reveal my craft name, but once I did, I didn't experience any "weakening" or otherwise negative effects. Go with what's in your heart...because the Goddess is in there too, don't you know.

Elfa Wylde
February 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM
If you're to have a majikal/witchy name, it'll either come to you (ie: a nickname etc) or you will have a "craving" to find one.

If you choose to use it only for ritual or within a certain circle that's up to you... perhaps at some point you will find a different name to use in a different circle... or you will choose to keep using your majikal name for all events and gatherings etc.

but always, it's a choice. I have heard that by some traditions a witch is given a new name when she enters a coven. This is said to be for the purpose of helping keep the members safe by no one knowing the person's real name. Of course these particual covens also used masks so that no face could be recognised either. In other traditions, the name may be given by a diety, usually the person's matron goddess or patron god, or perhaps they might "come across" a name that just seems to fit.

Myself, for example, I usually go by Elfa. Elfa Wylde is a name i took for general pagan/majikal purposes (screen names, large gatherings, general correspondence etc). It's taken from a family story about my grand father's grandmother being an elf. the Wylde is just what it says. I love the wilderness. Hence: Elfa Wylde.

But in Elvish circles I am called Shosha Amonithil. and in still another I might be known as Kotsotsumpa Yaha, or "StarWolf."

I do ask that everyone either call me Elfa or Sarah (my given name) or at least ASK before using one of my other names.

Well.. that's my two bit's worth. (musta been on sale huh? LOL)

Dragon_Lady_of_Air
February 16th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Eh really late onthis one lol. I would only reveal mine to people I really trust at first. but if you feel comfortable it is up to you. You can have many different names. SOme guides tend to give you their own name foryou.

Dark Phoenix
February 17th, 2005, 12:30 AM
I give my own to people I trust or trust enough not to go round repeating it but it's up to you if you want to give it out at all.

Cylver
February 18th, 2005, 08:59 PM
i think your witch name has always been inside you. its the name you refer to yourself when writting or thinking or praying.

Atropos
February 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM
By what I've read it seems to me that I've had another name all along. Online as long as I can remember I've gone by Atropos or Atropos4. I have always had a strong interest in greek mythology.

blindfaith^_^
March 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hello, thought I'd throw in my own two cents here, in the form of a story. When I was little, I used to change my name all the time, and they weren't reasonable names either, I mean one day I would be Sun Star, and the next week I would be Willow Leaf, and other silly things. The point I'm making here is that a name is just a name, and that the title is meaningless. It is the feeling or the idea behind the name that is important, whether or not you decide to have a Witch Name, you will be the same person and believing the same beliefs.

Long story short, don't worry so much about a name, if you are to have one, or many Witch names it will come to you in time, and when you get one, if you get one, you will know whether or not you are to keep it to yourself or not.

Prudence Rose
March 6th, 2005, 11:25 PM
i didn't check either. my opinion wasn't listed. I think you should be able to tell people who you trust such as fellow witches but i wouldn't recomend going around and telling everyone.

Felis Sorror
March 7th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I go by three names.

One is a nickname that was given to me by a person very close to me, and it evolved into a much larger thing. Most of my friends now call me by it. I use this name, sometimes, when I'm casting a healing spell on their behalf, because it is the name that binds us. That name is Xaverri, or Xae for short.

My Craft name which I only share with people I trust. Some I mind knowing, others I don't.

I was given a name by my Familiar, as well, and it is the name I use on this forum: Felis Sorror... Cat Sister. My Familiar is a little calico cat I've had for almost three years, and she and I are very close. I know... somehow, that she calls me CatSister. I just translated the name into Latin.

As for sharing your name, I think it's up to you.... and the gods.

rottencandy7
March 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
i've found my name. i wonder...if u talk with someone and refer yourself as your craft name, and they don't know the better...is that ok? couldn't u say its a nickname to avoid any uncomfortableness? if thats wat u want to do anyway...

the name doesn't hafta rule up to the numerology method, does it?

Dawa Lhamo
April 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM
My thoughts are that it's fine if you want to and if it's something you can reveal. I use my real name in most exchanges, but I predominantly use my Buddhist name (Dawa Lhamo) in online exchanges, which are either pagan or 'kin in nature. To me, it's a public magical name. I'll take another, secret, magical name when I'm initiated, and I'll keep that one in reserve for me, my gods, and my coven. I also use Tethys Morveren (Tethys the Gk. Goddess, and Morveren 'out of the sea') as an alias. But that really doesn't have the power of a magical name. I'm all in favor of taking on many names. lol. Take it for superstition if you like, but names have power. If you have many, then it's less concentrated in one. ^_^

Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

sahee
April 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
hey, i duno coz ive found my name but only 1 or 2 ppl no it
and thats coz their wiccan
my otha frends dont rly undastand and wud probably take the rip so i dont tell them
i think its up 2 u bout whether u tell ne1 or not
buut i mite be rong
neva no :D

gypsy0108
April 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I use a public witch name and a privite one as well my public one is silverdragonfly my privite one stays that way i found help picking mine out through numerology

BlairTheWarlock
April 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM
My witch name... Well, my religious name, I'm not actually a witch yet, I haven't had the option of going into witchcraft yet... But I plan too, my religious (wiccan) name is Blair...

:kooky:
Blair

Silverwolfthorn
April 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
i think that you should have 3 extra names one between you and dieties only, one for normal like around witchy people with warts (lol) and one you dont know yet but will do before you die. Banda bing bada boom!

BlairTheWarlock
April 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM
i think that you should have 3 extra names one between you and dieties only, one for normal like around witchy people with warts (lol) and one you dont know yet but will do before you die. Banda bing bada boom!

Love the idea... I think I'm going to try to "discover" the name between me and the deities!

:kooky:
Blair

Luminessence
May 9th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I guess it depends on what feels best to you, but what makes most sense to me is keeping your magical name between you and God. I like the idea of having two - one for private use and one for public use - if you don't feel connected to your birth name. I like my birth name, though (at least my first name), so I don't have a need for that.

RubyRose
May 9th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I didn't tell anybody.

Meadhbh
May 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I have more than one. There's the one I use in public and I really have no problem giving it out if people want to know. Then theres the other one that has only been spoken once, and of course won't be again. I think of it has a bit of an back up if I really need a name that no one would think of. Because lets face it, not everyone is a wonderful person.

Fyre_Nymph
May 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm just a confused,nieve per-teen!

SamTheBlob
May 13th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I still don't have a name. I personaly don't think I've done enough research to get a witch/wicca/pagenism name.

Shooting Starr
May 13th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I do have a witch name and a public name... but the one good thing is that no one knows it is a witch name,,,,, mainly because it was given to me by someone else in a ritual....as far as telling of your name I think it is up to the individual and how comfortable they are with it... I am new here and am a returning practioner.... my name is Shooting Starr and I am from Portland Maine..... I would love to chat with anyone who can help guide me home again or just to be friends.. bb..starr

Teresa
May 14th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I do have a witch name and a public name... but the one good thing is that no one knows it is a witch name,,,,, mainly because it was given to me by someone else in a ritual....as far as telling of your name I think it is up to the individual and how comfortable they are with it... I am new here and am a returning practioner.... my name is Shooting Starr and I am from Portland Maine..... I would love to chat with anyone who can help guide me home again or just to be friends.. bb..starr
:welcome: Shooting Starr ! Nice to meet you.I would suggest ya looking into the circle of teaching, the paths section,the new pagan section,and in Magic and Ritual section there are some stickies at the top.One is our online BOS. If you check the top of the just pagan and also new pagan you will find more stickies with info.Read as much as you can and make your own decisions as to what feels right to You ! BB,Shalaye

Myrica
May 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
since deity already knows who I am I don't need a name that deity can call me. Deity doesn't uses words like people do...
So I have Myrica as a wiccan name that I use online, I also use the name Dito online, like for online gaming. My official name is long so since I was little I had a shortend version of my official name as "real name". All these names are my "real names" and they can all be used.
I don't see the point having a name that no human being uses, since in my opinion deity doesn't use your name.
hope it makes sense

Willow Rosemerta
June 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I don't believe that others should know you're witch name. I've been taught that You should have like 5 names and that you can say like the first two but the other three are for good measures so that noone can psychically attack/harm you. Whether this is right or not, I think it works. And as long as it works for you, whatever you choose then it shouldn't matter whether you tell someone your witch name or not. It's your choice :)

Fallen Angel
June 18th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Everyone knew my name, but now it has gathered a lot of power and those who know it have that power over me, so I'm doing my best to keep it hidden now.

fangedeshana
June 18th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I've never really found a name that felt that important to me to keep hidden...

I chose my name for it's meaning, it didn't "find me".

Eshana is of hindi orgin, and the eastern ideas and cultures interest me. It also means Searcher, which I am, have been and probably will still be for a long time. If not eternally.

Shadowfang. The "Shadow" half comes because a lot of myself I keep in the shadows, hidden from people. I think a lot of the time I hide things from myself, also. 'Fang' comes from my zodiac signs. I am a Leo, and Tiger, and to me I instantly think 'fang' when it comes to large cats, and I really identify with my feline zodiac signs.

fangedeshana
June 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM
This thought came to me in bed last night. Your thoughts?

If the purpose (or one of ther purposes) of a private name is to prevent anyone from cursing/attacking you... whats stopping then using any other name you identify with? Those names are still YOU, so why would it matter if you had a private name? I would think they could connect to you with any name you use... perhaps even an email address, or text on a message board.

I've had ppl in chat rooms on yahoo try to 'psy vamp' me... all they needed was to see my sn to connect with me.

CleftOfLight
June 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Well I have actually a lot of different names,some giving to me by teachers,friends,etc.etc.And some I picked out myself.But I don't see anything wrong with telling someone if you really really wanted.Also just because you start with a magickal name today doesn't mean you can't change it someday at another point in your life.
I just counted I have 110 names,wow thats a lot.Too many to ever fit on my tomb stone.lol.

Fallen Angel
June 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM
This thought came to me in bed last night. Your thoughts?

If the purpose (or one of ther purposes) of a private name is to prevent anyone from cursing/attacking you... whats stopping then using any other name you identify with? Those names are still YOU, so why would it matter if you had a private name? I would think they could connect to you with any name you use... perhaps even an email address, or text on a message board.

I've had ppl in chat rooms on yahoo try to 'psy vamp' me... all they needed was to see my sn to connect with me.

Well in my case I only connect with my magickal name, which is why I chose it. It is me, but the other names I use are other peoples thoughts of me. So trying to use those against me wouldn't work.

fangedeshana
June 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM
But do you not answer to you other names if related people call you by it? Isn't that in ITSELF a connection of sorts?

Fallen Angel
June 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I answer to them just as I answer to hun and cock. But everyone in Barnsley is addressed as cock so I no more relate to that than I do suzette (random name that I am not)

Dawa Lhamo
July 10th, 2005, 11:32 PM
But do you not answer to you other names if related people call you by it? Isn't that in ITSELF a connection of sorts?It is, as far as I can see. The thing is, the connection is different. I think if there's a name that I connect intimately with my magickal self, with my soul and with my connection to deities, then I can keep that hidden and protect (by some measure) that part of myself. My name I use with everyone else is indeed connected with myself rather strongly, and were someone to attack me with that name, I would definitely feel it, but I would feel as if the other part of me was preserved from attack.

I have my secret name, as well as my general use Dawa Lhamo and then my given name. (Also Tethys Morveren which I use publicly on occasion). I like having lots of names. Each, I feel, describes a part of me, but my secret name, I think, describes the heart of me. ^_^

Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

fangedeshana
July 11th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, Dawa Lhamo. You actually explained your reasoning well, and I see your point.

Each, I feel, describes a part of me, but my secret name, I think, describes the heart of me. ^_^

StarCraftLia
July 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM
"Craft names," or so they're called, where to originally protect the real identity of the magician. The craft name was only used when in the presence of other crafters.

starry8847
July 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I'm such a newbie ( especially to this forum...#2 post) but witch's names are given from someone (Higher ranking) in a Coven, aren't they? I don't want to belong to a coven so then what??? I really feel guidence but don't know which Gods or Goddesses ...Is there a starting point for an old 57 yr. old "crone"?????who doesn't really know where I fit in either.

FateDancer
July 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Nope.
My name as a witch is personal between me and my gods, the only exptions could be my sisters in Art (not a coven, but sisters).

Dawa Lhamo
July 11th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I'm such a newbie ( especially to this forum...#2 post) but witch's names are given from someone (Higher ranking) in a Coven, aren't they? I don't want to belong to a coven so then what??? I really feel guidence but don't know which Gods or Goddesses ...Is there a starting point for an old 57 yr. old "crone"?????who doesn't really know where I fit in either.Perhaps in some covens that is true, but in my coven I was told to come up with one and have it ready for my initiation. ^_^ Starting point? Well, think of the kinds of animals/plants/things that you feel some kind of affinity with (not just what you like but what has similar personality to you) and look in all different languages. You can look at baby names books and see if there's any names that have a meaning that really strikes a chord with you... You'll stumble upon it eventually. ^_^

Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

sednuh
August 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Merry Meet Emy,
Choosing a goddess or god name for yourself is not something to be taking lightly. You should research the diferent goddess and gods and find the one that suits your personality best. But remember all have two sides. So when choosing a name you might what to find another to call on at times to maintain balance. For example I have taken th e name of sedna, she is the inuit goddes of the ocean who is known for taking care of all the northern sea creatures. She is also Known for being the Goddess of abundance and infinite supply which could lead to greed. So I call on Oonagh, a celtic goddess, who helps you to slow down and take your time. Becuase you take on the personality of yhe deity you choose I would not recomend changing your goddess name. As far as not telling anyone your name that I believe is a personal choice. Many years ago upon giving birth mothers would name there babies telling everyone but in a secret ceremony they would give the baby a name only known to the mother. This was believed to protect the child from any curses and incantations that may be placed upon him or her.
Hope this helps
Blessed Be
Sednuh

aluokaloo
August 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I believe its up to the discretion of the individual, I do have a witch name, finally, and it is strictly between my Gods and myself.

actingfreak
September 4th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Sooo what about these witchnames, really are there any rules to follow when it comes to picking a name?
Should you keep the name to yourself or can you tell others what name you've picked?

I hear different things about name picking all the time... help?!
okay well i have made the same thread about this! and everyone has told me to stick to my own name because i like it to much... you can do w\e you want with it. you can tell people or keep it privite...but i have decided to stick to my regular name. Teagan :hehehehe:

Gypsy flower
November 3rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
I think it is up to you, I only tell people I really trust. :uhhuhuh:

Angelick_Butterfly
November 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM
The thing with witches in my experience is that we all seem to have several identities.

The first name you have is your given name, the one your parents gave you the day you were born.

Then we have a chosen name, what I call my witch's name, and that name is known to me as well as people that are in my coven.

But strangely enough, I also have another name that is known only to the deities, it is the name that my spirit guide calls me, and it is completely different from the name that my fellow witches know me by...

Obviously it is up to you, and I also only give out my witches name to people I trust implicitly. Just thought I would put my two cents in. _twohorns_

:ringaroun

MerlynHerne
November 4th, 2005, 04:45 AM
I don't go about yelling my witch name to all and sundry, but if for some reason it comes up, I don't feel a need to hide it. Silence is what those who persecute us depend upon. If they don't hear about it, it isn't there sort of thing I guess. Also the more of us speak up, the more familiar our faith becomes and the more that others out there realise that much of what has been said about us is nothing but lies...

I realised that I was very attached to both Merlyn and the Lord Herne...so that is how I got this name.

LordHelmet
November 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I never saw a reason for a wich name, I like Eric, but I'm not part of any covens or theme groups or anything anyway. If I were to pick a wich name it would be something goth like that fit me somehow, like crimson twist or Lord Helmet or something.

star_belfire
November 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I used to keep mine secret untill I had to change my e-mail address, damn hackers, I could think of anything and I was trying a more spirtual approach so I used my Magickal name,which happens to be my screen name actually I don't know if I should have said that or not. Its really up to you I think.

I'm a witch and I know I'm a witch so I have 2 names and I use them both. Sure in a ritual I'm not going to go by Kate but I don't want to put Star on a job application. But as I said its totally up to you.

serenarian
November 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Well as far as I'm concerned, my only contact with other Pagans is through this forum, so I'm perfectly happy for you all to know my pagan name. I don't have a coven, and it makes me happy to share it with other Pagans as well as the Goddess and God. My pagan name is basically my screenname - Serenarian - although I'm on my second one now due to a change last year. I felt as though I had moved on from my first magical name.

Ameya
November 10th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I often refer to myself as 'she of many names' in a jesting manner when i get questioned (AL THE TIME) about my name.

My legal name, and the name that my family and co-workers call me, is Lindsay Elaine (i like the elaine because of the avalon reference and the connection to women in my family).

The name I go by with friends, online, at school (when i went), and most everyplace else is Ameya (uh-may-uh). It is Sanskrit for Limitless and i renamed myself when i was 14.

Lately i've started thinking of myself as Sanjana Devi as well. This one started out as the name that doesn't distinguish between me, my higherself & the goddess. I've only told a couple people (i'm horrible at keeping such things a secret - i love the name so much i want to tell everybody - but at the same time i know that would suck all the sacredness out of it) and i put it on here as well (feels safe enough!) but i mainly use it for prayers and rituals and visualizations and the like. oh, and both names i first heard from bollywood movies i love (Main Hoon Na & Ashoka, respectively) but also chosen because of the meaning - Sanjana, according to my internet findings, means gentle (and i know sanjan means love or darling from the k3g soundtrack!) and Devi means goddess of course. I really like that because i've never been particularly feminine and i've been trying to imbrace and embody the goddess as much as i can.

Shayla
November 13th, 2005, 04:15 AM
After my mother died and I had to go through her things, I discovered that she altered her name with each different phase in her life.

I am a new pagan and have much to learn. The name I use here came to me in a meditative state and I was not guided to hold it close. It feels rght to use it and to share it here. For me it repersents a formal declaration of my path, something to be proud of, and yet it is not a name I would use in my business or with people who would see my path as "wrong". I guess what I am trying to say is that I am using my name only where it feels right and leave it to t Great Mother to guide me as to where and when I should use it.

dragonprincess
November 26th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I have tried a few times to acheive a witchname,but I have nver "recieved" one, maybe someday I'll get one, but for now, my communication with my dieties and my spirit guide(s) uses my given name, Kristene Leigh.

SilverNightShade
November 27th, 2005, 01:08 AM
i didn't pick any of these coz there was no other option

i have a standard wiccan name i chose fit my personality that i use and tell people.
i am also currently looking for a name to share between the goddess and myself.

almost like i go by my full name in school but only my mom calls me my short name.

Lady Windspirit
November 27th, 2005, 02:45 AM
With my With Name, I chose it as Lady Ravenelf Windspirit, to signify both my connection to my element (Air), part of my middle name (Raven), and my high interest in elves. I only tell it to those also studying in int craft.

DaughterofIsis
December 3rd, 2005, 03:55 AM
If you want to tell others you should be able to do that. Personally I've never felt the need for another name. The Goddess knows me, no names needed.

Ninjakitten
December 3rd, 2005, 04:22 AM
I want one. I feel as though I'm incomplete, and I don't know if it's because I'm lacking a name that is helping me define my direction, or if my direction is making it difficult for me to summarize it in a name. I feel that if your spirit allows you to share your name, though, that you should feel okay to share it.

chrestomancie
December 3rd, 2005, 04:25 AM
I love names and have acquired a few names and titles over the years. The mose used ones of course are:My legal name and luckily one I don't mind in the least which my mundane friends and acquaintences call me. My screen name which is my MW name, It is what everone calls me online. Then I have my magic name that I use for the "sacred" times in my life that inclue rituals etc... It is a relatively new name compared to chrestomancie which I have used since I was 15. I havn't spoken the name to anyone yet other than my deities as I am still in search of a coven.

I have also had many "pen" names that I went through when I was younger and was insistant that I was going to be a writer and an artist. One of which included Presley Aaron O'Mally. I still LOVE that name (especially the O'Mally). My mother worked at a dog collar company here in Greenfield at that point in my life, and at the time they had a lot of malfunctioned dogtags come in. So I acquired a tag that has that pen name on it. It's one of my treasures....

LyraDragonStar
December 17th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I say, why not...if you want to tell them, then tell them. I do..I don't mind telling people my witches name is Lyra. They can think what they want to.. :tongueout

And I use a different...er...add more onto my name when using it for activities and such. So it's no big deal to me.

Arie
January 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM
There is a book Trilogy I have read and one of the characters was named Arie and her soul mate was named Neall. I really connected with the character and loved her name as well as his so i combined the two together ARIE NEALL.

Rowana
January 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
my magickal name describes me and my relation to the Mother (my first name is me, and the second in realted to my element and my feelings). I do not share it with others because I am still in the broom closet and am unable to practice openly. When this changes, I will probably share my name.

Morrigan_Wolfwind
January 17th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I personally think you shouldn't tell other people, especially if they don't know or care why you have another name. My sister knows that I've chosen a name for myself, and that's fine with me because she knows a fair bit about Wicca herself. It also helps that we're twins and therefore quite tolerant of each other :). I am also using this as my online pagan name because I want to get used to being called Morrigan Wolfwind. Just because I like this name doesn't mean I'll answer to it right away, you know. And I am also still in the broom closet, mostly due to inconvenience.

My classmates would probably think it's another bit of weirdness involving me, because although they are openminded most of them really don't know about Wicca or the pantheon my name comes from. One of my friends is Wiccan, but I'm not sure if she follows the same path I'm planning to follow.

But when it all boils down, I think your Wiccan name is your own business and you should keep quiet about it unless someone really wants to know. Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens, as they say. If too many people knew about my Wiccan name, it would just become too used for me to keep using it. And I prefer keeping silent to risk being questioned incessantly by people who still think witches say magic words.

Acid09
January 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
The purpose of a magick name is to dedicate and empower a magick identy for the self. Not for others. That identity is of one who is magickal and the name would only be used for magick or ritual purposes. To share the magick name is share its power. Which shared with the wrong people, ie those who don't understand or belong to your practices, would be magick wasted. But that is really only if you use that name with others in a magickal sense. If you walk around calling yourself "Silver RavenWolf" the only negative would be the attention you might draw. A name in and of it self has no power. Its just a set of characters that represent sounds that put to together forms something you identify with - magick. But it is you, the self, who identifies with magick using that set of sounds that form your magick name. The utterance of that sound is really nothing but a marker, a key so to speak, to pick up where one left off in their magick lives.