PDA

View Full Version : Improvised ritual?

BenSt
June 17th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Hey all,

So my question for discussion is: as people not always being born into eastern religions and traditions and not always having the ability to gather materials for rituals... how do we improvise with what we have??

What ways have you all individually found to be appropriate for you or that you have done in the past when improvising around say Pujas or other forms of ritual or worship?

I'll start:

In the past I've found that when dealing with Hinduism, I havn't had the ability to perform a full out Puja, and circumstances as they are I am unable to light candles or flame. I find that I mostly improvise by singing mantras and playing music and still offering my Deities food and water, as well as washing. I try as much as possible where, in not being able to perform ritual, I focus on the altar layout and symbols.

Garm
June 17th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Sometimes, you just gotta yank the battery out of the smoke alarm

BenSt
June 17th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Sometimes, you just gotta yank the battery out of the smoke alarm

LOL, if my boss found out he'd kill me... and York University wouldn't be too happy if I burned the residence down

Amber
June 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
When I don't have time to do Puja, I simply say a few mantras and pray. I think (and hope!) that the Gods care more about our words than offerings and washing, etc.