PDA

View Full Version : Three "Super-Earths" Found Orbiting Sun-Like Star

BlackLili
June 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Three "Super-Earths" Found Orbiting Sun-Like Star (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080616-super-earths.html)

A trio of "super-Earths" have been found near a sun-like star, a team of European astronomers announced today. The planets orbiting the star HD 40307—which is 42 light-years away—were found using an advanced "planet searcher" instrument at the European Southern Observatory in La Silla, Chile, the French and Swiss astronomers said.
The part of the sky being studied contains 45 potential planets that are smaller than 30 times the mass of Earth (http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/solar-system/earth.html?nav=A-Z), the astronomers said. Most of them orbit HD 40307 quickly—every 50 days or less.
"We are convinced that there are plenty of planets everywhere," said Didier Queloz, a member of the research team from the Observatoire de Genève in Switzerland.
The discovery is creating a buzz throughout the astronomy community.

Rudas Starblaze
June 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
neat! :thumbsup:

Cloaked Raven
June 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Cool!! Thanks for sharing, BlackLili!

I wonder if there's life on any of them...it would be really awesome if there was! :thumbsup:

Xentor
June 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Weee! Only 42 light years! Without faster-than-light travel it'd take us only... 15000-ish years to get there?

Amilee
June 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM
(packs her bags) Let`s go!!! Warp 5!!!

Wolf O Volos
June 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Cool!! Thanks for sharing, BlackLili!

I wonder if there's life on any of them...it would be really awesome if there was! :thumbsup:

Unless of course, they were so unimpressed with life on THIS planet, that they decided we would make a better food source than intergalactic allies...

Hells, we cant even get our own planets political and social problems sorted out... try adding another species or race to the mix, and all hell would break loose!

coyoger
June 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Can you image living on a eath that takes a full season within a matter of days? Wow that would be an aventure. I'm surprised it took them this long to discover this. There is other life out there!:thumbsup:

Cloaked Raven
June 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Unless of course, they were so unimpressed with life on THIS planet, that they decided we would make a better food source than intergalactic allies...

Hells, we cant even get our own planets political and social problems sorted out... try adding another species or race to the mix, and all hell would break loose!
Yeah....or something like the Borg in Star Trek. *shudders*

LostSheep
June 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'm excited by this. I like to think we may have found the Tatooine system.

Wolf O Volos
June 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah....or something like the Borg in Star Trek. *shudders*

And could you imagine? We figure out how to get there without it taking 15k years... so we decide, "Hey, our planet is already turning into an eco nightmare... I have an idea! Lets go to ruin the eco system of THAT new planet! Yay!"

Scarier than the Borg for certain...

Cloaked Raven
June 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
And could you imagine? We figure out how to get there without it taking 15k years... so we decide, "Hey, our planet is already turning into an eco nightmare... I have an idea! Lets go to ruin the eco system of THAT new planet! Yay!"

Scarier than the Borg for certain...
Yup.....

Cloaked Raven
June 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM

:lol: Now THAT would be cool!!!

BlackLili
June 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
"Don't trust a Jawa! Get your converters from Tashi Station!" http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/4/46/Movie_star_wars_jawa.gif/50px-Movie_star_wars_jawa.gif

Cloaked Raven
June 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
"Don't trust a Jawa! Get your converters from Tashi Station!" http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/4/46/Movie_star_wars_jawa.gif/50px-Movie_star_wars_jawa.gif

:lol:

enchancea
June 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Very cool

aluokaloo
June 19th, 2008, 01:02 AM
awesome!:thumbsup:

so what are we waitin for? Let's go over there and screw up there planet!:hehehehe: