PDA

View Full Version : Do crystal skulls hold key to world salvation?

Laisrean
June 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Link (http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1213607739237880.xml&coll=1)

According to folklore, 13 crystal skulls were created in a dimension other than this world up to 30,000 years ago and hidden in Central and South America. On Dec. 21, 2012, the skulls will reunite, activate and save the Earth from doom.

Eight of the skulls have already been discovered. Five to go.

During the New Earth Festival here Sunday in a college conference room, paranormal enthusiast Walter Rice, 37, discussed the legend of the crystal skulls - which have gone mainstream with the new "Indiana Jones" movie - and what it could mean for mankind.

"If there's anything to it, the world will be changed in 2012," said Rice, a waiter who came to Huntsville 18 years ago as a young soldier. "Some people believe the skulls will save the Earth from Armageddon or some horrible natural disaster. Others think it will signal a new spiritual awakening.

Valnorran
June 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I thought that was the day the world was supposed to end?

What, exactly, do we know about the crystal skulls? Have they been dated?

FWIW, I don't believe the skulls - or anything else - will suddenly arrive and save us. Everything that has a beginning has an end. I see no reason why humanity would be an exception to this.

Laisrean
June 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM

FWIW, I don't believe the skulls - or anything else - will suddenly arrive and save us. Everything that has a beginning has an end. I see no reason why humanity would be an exception to this.

Nothing really ends, though. There is some law about how matter and energy cannot be destroyed; only transformed into something different. The same with humans, perhaps. I think its a given that our species won't exist in its current form forever, but that doesn't necessarily mean we're a dead end on the evolutionary chain.

SacredWithin
June 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
About the 2012 prophecy thing... I think that just means that it would be the end of the world as we know it. Not a literal destruction of the earth.

I don't think the skulls themselves would save the earth. I suppose legend has it that within these skulls is information stored from a higher intelligence either from outside beings or ancient civilizations or whatever. I suppose if certain crystals have the ability to store information then it could be true that whoever can access it will be knowledgeable and may wish to share that knowledge. But seriously, what happens when revelations are brought forth? People generally fight over it and/or embrace it or it divides people or whatever else. But I personally don't worry too much about it. Whoever wishes to find the skulls can do so. I'm just gonna wait and see what happens in 2012, if anything noticeably special.

Thunder
June 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
No... Crystal Meth does.

Infinite Grey
June 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
You know what will happen in the year 2012? I get to point and laugh. :thumbsup:

Laisrean
June 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
You know what will happen in the year 2012? I get to point and laugh. :thumbsup:

That assumes you survive.

Thunder
June 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM

FWIW, I don't believe the skulls - or anything else - will suddenly arrive and save us. Everything that has a beginning has an end. I see no reason why humanity would be an exception to this.That is not exactly true... there is no end to stupidity... at least not according to my lifelong study of the subject.

Infinite Grey
June 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
That assumes you survive.

Well obviously! :smileroll

When nothing happens when the clock ticks over to the Mayan 2012, what will all the people pushing an event idea say?

Chaos Hawk
June 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
That is not exactly true... there is no end to stupidity... at least not according to my lifelong study of the subject.

Agreed :hehehehe:

punxzen
June 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM

When nothing happens when the clock ticks over to the Mayan 2012, what will all the people pushing an event idea say?

They will switch from pushing an event idea to some sort of mental transformation idea or some other such unprovable BS.

SacredWithin
June 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM

This kinda reminds me of the Y2K incident back in 2000. People are probably going to start collecting canned foods and such things. :hehehe:

patch
June 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
-_-
2012 conspiracies annoy me. Especiall when they get more and more farfetched and less mayan-calander-ish.

A crystal skull was handed into a museum anonymously once. As technology advanced it became apparant that it was fake.

Trithemius
June 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM

They'll forget all about it and move on to the next end-of-the-world doomsday scenario. I guess all these Chicken Littles just have to be freaked out about something.

Hunger
June 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Who needs a 2012 prophecy? We're pretty screwed without it anyway, unless things take a dramatic turn.

Edit: not end-of-the-world screwed, but looking into the onrushing headlights of another dark age screwed.

bellamandu
June 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
i saw a documentary about this a few days ago. apparently the current skulls have been carbon dated and everything seems to check out when it comes to that part. the thing that baffles scientists is that during the time period in which these skulls were "made", it would have been pretty much impossible to make them with such detail and accuracy. even comparing them to the accuracy of computers and lasers, it still rivals todays technologies.

i havent heard anything about a specific date with the skulls. all i've heard about any sort of time period is that once the skulls are reunited the world will come to be a place of perfect peace and that it will unite us in such a way that we will solve all of humanities problems.

Sequoia
June 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Crystal Skulls? Let's ask Indiana Jones!

2012 is just the newest Y2K. People will get excited over anything.

Infinite Grey
June 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
i saw a documentary about this a few days ago. apparently the current skulls have been carbon dated and everything seems to check out when it comes to that part. the thing that baffles scientists is that during the time period in which these skulls were "made", it would have been pretty much impossible to make them with such detail and accuracy. even comparing them to the accuracy of computers and lasers, it still rivals todays technologies.

i havent heard anything about a specific date with the skulls. all i've heard about any sort of time period is that once the skulls are reunited the world will come to be a place of perfect peace and that it will unite us in such a way that we will solve all of humanities problems.

1> The carbon date of the actual stone is irrelevant; for example if one were to carbon date Michelangelo's David, you would undoubtedly find that the age of the stone to be much older than when it was sculpted. Odd that huh? It's a deceptive tactic used to fool the uneducated.

2> There are a great number of crystal skulls, some were made in Europe during the 19th century (example, the one in the British Museum - thought to have originated in Germany), others (the more crudely made ones) are from south America.

3> The only mystery really surrounding the crystal skulls is why people try to make a mystery out of them.

Sequoia
June 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Okay, you guys. Now you have that scene from Indian Jones stuck in my head where the guy is all like, "KALI-MAAAAAAAAAH. KALI-MAAAAAAAAH!!!" and rips out the dude's heart and it's like "thump-thump" in his hand and then they drop him into a pit of lava. And Indiana's like :foh:

:lol:

thought_on_a_wind
June 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
I don't believe humans for as much as I can... have a hard time trusting others (including myself at times), and think the newest in safety demeans the human experience... If I don't like investing my mind in humans, I'll definitely say that chunks of stone that aren't used in ritual are not going to get a credence of trust from me. Esp... some dam skulls.

Valnorran
June 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
People tend to underestimate the skills and craftsmanship ancient people were capable of. Just because we can't imagine putting forth the enormous effort making a skull with ancient technology doesn't mean it's impossible. Assuming, of course, the skulls really are that old.

all i've heard about any sort of time period is that once the skulls are reunited the world will come to be a place of perfect peace and that it will unite us in such a way that we will solve all of humanities problems.
The adult version of Santa Claus.

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM

No, we get to 2012, and everyone will be too drunk to point and laugh, after a load of kick ass parties.

That is the truth about 2012, I can see it now! (and I know that'll I'll be doing at 2012, although pretty much every New Year, or any time I go to a party!).

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Probably, that we didn't "visualize enough white light", it's funny, but all these people who say the Mayans predicted the End of the World, don't seem to know much about what the Mayans believed (they weren't aliens, they didn't ascend or vibrate to another dimesnion or higher plane of existence), I think their civilization simply crumbled, due to a wide range of social, military, etc issues.

I'm not going to pretend to know what caused it (although I'd like to learn, so if anyone has any info, good links, good (i.e. academic) books on the Mayans, etc, please share :)).

Although, I still say you'll be too drunk to know when it's 12 (or maybe I'm just predicting myself onto you!).

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
They'll forget all about it and move on to the next end-of-the-world doomsday scenario. I guess all these Chicken Littles just have to be freaked out about something.

QFT, like what happened with every other Apocalypse that was supposed to happen. I'm sure another one will be around the corner, like they always are, once 2012 comes.

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Who needs a 2012 prophecy? We're pretty screwed without it anyway, unless things take a dramatic turn.

Edit: not end-of-the-world screwed, but looking into the onrushing headlights of another dark age screwed.

QFT, although, I think we could probably cause the End of the World, so who knows, maybe 2012 will be the End of the World, especially with the current policies of the U.S. government, the UK government, and other governments, etc.

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Human civilizations can create, and have created, many amazing things, it doesn't mean they were "created" by aliens, or whatever, etc. Stonehenge, the Egyptian Pyramids, the Sumerian and/or Mesopotamian Ziggurat's, Mesoamerican Pyramids, etc are all great things, and were all created by humans, I've heard that, scientists and archaeologists, and others tried to create a version of Stonehenge, and the Egyptian Pyramids, with ancient materials, using the tools they thought were used, etc, and they couldn't do it. That doesn't mean, though, that they were built by aliens, or whatever, it just means ancient people were a lot more intelligent than we think.

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Crystal Skulls? Let's ask Indiana Jones!

2012 is just the newest Y2K. People will get excited over anything.

1> The carbon date of the actual stone is irrelevant; for example if one were to carbon date Michelangelo's David, you would undoubtedly find that the age of the stone to be much older than when it was sculpted. Odd that huh? It's a deceptive tactic used to fool the uneducated.

2> There are a great number of crystal skulls, some were made in Europe during the 19th century (example, the one in the British Museum - thought to have originated in Germany), others (the more crudely made ones) are from south America.

3> The only mystery really surrounding the crystal skulls is why people try to make a mystery out of them.

QFT, and great posts :).

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I don't believe humans for as much as I can... have a hard time trusting others (including myself at times), and think the newest in safety demeans the human experience... If I don't like investing my mind in humans, I'll definitely say that chunks of stone that aren't used in ritual are not going to get a credence of trust from me. Esp... some dam skulls.

Good post, and I agree.

David19
June 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
People tend to underestimate the skills and craftsmanship ancient people were capable of. Just because we can't imagine putting forth the enormous effort making a skull with ancient technology doesn't mean it's impossible. Assuming, of course, the skulls really are that old.

The adult version of Santa Claus.

QFT, and great post, I definitely agree with you.

SacredWithin
June 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Human civilizations can create, and have created, many amazing things, it doesn't mean they were "created" by aliens, or whatever, etc. Stonehenge, the Egyptian Pyramids, the Sumerian and/or Mesopotamian Ziggurat's, Mesoamerican Pyramids, etc are all great things, and were all created by humans, I've heard that, scientists and archaeologists, and others tried to create a version of Stonehenge, and the Egyptian Pyramids, with ancient materials, using the tools they thought were used, etc, and they couldn't do it. That doesn't mean, though, that they were built by aliens, or whatever, it just means ancient people were a lot more intelligent than we think.

I agree. Besides, back in the day, it seems there was more time and determination. It wasn't always about quick fixes and therefore, taking a half a century to complete a project was nothing to them.

erika
June 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
you can't carbon date a stone.

carbon dating is used to date matter that was once LIVING.. as in bones and plant remains.

"Radiocarbon dating is a reliable method for dating remains up to 50 000 years old. It is based on the principle that all living matter possesses a certain amount of a radioactive form of carbon... This material is absorbed from the air by plants and then ingested by animals that eat the plants. After the organism dies, it no longer takes in any of the radioactive carbon: carbon 14 has a half-life of 5730 years. In other words, half of the original amount of carbon 14 in organic matter will have disintegrated 5730 years after the organisms death; half of the remaining carbon 14 will have disintegrated after another 5730 years; and so on."

From: "Physical Anthropology and Archaeology", Carol R. Ember, 2nd Canadian Edition, Pearson Education Canada, Inc. Toronto Ontario

(as in my University textbook for archaeology)

A few methods of dating minerals are the following, and none of these could be effectively applied to crystal skulls in order to tell us when they were carved. They simply tell us when the rock was formed or when a major heat-event happened to it such as volcanic eruptions or baking (in the case of ceramics)

Potassium-Argon/Argon-Argon Dating - which can only be used on potassium rich rock,

Fission Track Dating - dates when a high-heat event happened to a mineral, such as a volcanic eruption,

and

Thermoluminesence Dating - which measures electrons in the rock that dissipate at a known rate, thereby allowing us to calculate the date at which it was fired or baked (used mostly with ceramics).

I also watched a documentary on these a couple months ago and they basically traced all of them back to a fraud of an antiquities dealer working out of South America in the early 1900's.

It's all a big urban myth that these skulls have anything to do with any Mayan prophecies regarding the "end of the world".

omar
September 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I think the skulls contain importan info, IF anyone ever figures out how to got to it.

BlackLili
September 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
They aren't even close to genuine. A dude in South America created them, mere generations ago.

Mayans never saw those skulls.

omar
September 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
They aren't even close to genuine. A dude in South America created them, mere generations ago.

Mayans never saw those skulls.

Ther are 13 of them from around the world. They are made from REAL crystal. They have been examined in laboratories in America & Europe & there are NO chisel marks on them. They cannot be copied by any present earth technology.

Trithemius
September 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ther are 13 of them from around the world. They are made from REAL crystal. They have been examined in laboratories in America & Europe & there are NO chisel marks on them. They cannot be copied by any present earth technology.

Completely, totally, utterly wrong. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skulls)

Many crystal skulls are claimed to be pre-Columbian, usually attributed to the Aztec or Maya civilizations. Mesoamerican art has numerous representations of skulls, but none of the skulls in museum collections come from documented excavations.[7] Research carried out on several crystal skulls at the British Museum in 1996 and again in 2004 has shown that the indented lines marking the teeth (for these skulls had no separate jawbone, unlike the Mitchell-Hedges skull) were carved using jeweler's equipment (rotary tools) developed in the 19th century, making a supposed pre-Columbian origin even more dubious. The type of (rather poor quality) crystal is Brazilian, and unknown within the Aztec or Maya territories. The study concluded that the skulls were crafted in the 19th century in Germany.

It has been established that both the British Museum and Paris's Musée de l'Homme[8] crystal skulls were originally sold by the French antiquities dealer Eugène Boban, who was operating in Mexico City between 1860 and 1880.[9] The British Museum crystal skull transited through New York's Tiffany's, whilst the Musée de l'Homme's crystal skull was donated by Alphonse Pinart, an ethnographer who had bought it from Boban.

An investigation carried out by the Smithsonian Institution in 1992 on a crystal skull provided by an anonymous source who claimed to have purchased it in Mexico City in 1960 and that it was of Aztec origin concluded that it, too, was made in recent years. According to the Smithsonian, Boban acquired the crystal skulls he sold from sources in Germany; findings that are in keeping with those of the British Museum.[10]

A detailed study of the British Museum and Smithsonian crystal skulls was accepted for publication by the Journal of Archaeological Science in May 2008.[11] Using electron microscopy and X-ray crystallography, a team of British and American researchers found that the British Museum skull was worked with a harsh abrasive substance such as corundum or diamond, and shaped using a rotary disc tool made from some suitable metal. The Smithsonian specimen had been worked with a different abrasive, namely the silicon-carbon compound carborundum which is a synthetic substance manufactured using modern industrial techniques.[12] Since the synthesis of carborundum dates only to the 1890s and its wider availability to the 20th century, the researchers concluded "[t]he suggestion is that it was made in the 1950s or later"

BlackLili
September 30th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Completely, totally, utterly wrong. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skulls)

"Since the synthesis of carborundum dates only to the 1890s and its wider availability to the 20th century, the researchers concluded "[t]he suggestion is that it was made in the 1950s or later"

My Dad has socks older than that.

Akkadian
October 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The exoteric science angles quoted above are - in my opinion, quite correct. I have however a different angle to include here; that of the crystal skulls (be they a 1,000 years old - or a few years old) - human thoughtforms. Being made from (on the whole) Quartz - this mineral is extremely susceptible to thoughtform attachment. If you take a prime example - the skull in the Museum of Mankind in London - where it is surrounded with distasteful objects of blood letting and human sacrifice from the Aztec world... People going into that room might often be appalled and sickened by the sights - they then might focus their thoughts on the skull but for a few seconds - but that can be sufficient. These thoughts become accumulated and remain perpetually in contact with the skull. Sometimes resulting in experiences with more sensitive folk visiting the skull- having read or heard about it.
I personally know three such folk that went to see the skull one afternoon about 15 yrs ago and all three suffered a simultaneous, tremendous headache to such an extent they had to leave the place, fast.
I also know from someone that worked on the UK TV BBC2 'Horizon' documentary about the skulls back in the late 90s - his boss had made it clear from the beginning - they would not end the programme with any doubt about these skulls not being anything other than recent, man made objects. That said - they did not publish or broadcast any comment on the electron microscope results of the MH skull... I have often wondered why.

A.

hikarilove
October 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM
A few semesters ago, I took a class on Mayan Languages & Cultures. My professor described the 2012 issue this way: The Mayans created a calendar for the current "age" (whatever that means). They believed that many had already passed and many more would come. It wasn't the end of the world - just the end of a massive calendar cycle. Anyone who knows about the Mayan calendar can tell you that they had multiple cycles going on at once. They were complex and some lasted quite a long time.

Besides... if I was supposedly as wise as all the ancient people were (in their matrilineal, egalitarian, pagan societies of happiness, glitter, and dandelions), wouldn't the Mayans have seen 1492? Columbus?

Maybe they got to 2012 and said, "You know, we won't even be here to use this... Let's get some coffee instead." ;)

Avanti
October 10th, 2008, 01:53 AM

I agree with Trithemius that you're wrong. ....unless you're being sarcastic....I can't detect sarcasm anymore these days sigh.

British Museum scientist Margaret Sax and I examined the British Museum and Smithsonian skulls under light and scanning electron microscope and conclusively determined that they were carved with relatively modern lapidary equipment, which were unavailable to pre-Columbian Mesoamerican carvers.

From here--->http://www.archaeology.org/0805/etc/indy.html

This article gives a good background to the origins of the hype and the facts for the creation of the fraud. Honestly though, I thought everyone would have known by now they're fake.

They're only a potential funky paperweight to me if I can get my hands on one.

Akkadian
October 13th, 2008, 04:40 AM
, wouldn't the Mayans have seen 1492? Columbus?

;)

I believe I read somewhere that they did time a moment when the Spanish landed - the conquistadors... Bringing smallpox and horses and the end of their reign as they knew it.
The calendar due to end in 2012 is the end of their great cycle of 26 thousand and something years (was it 126 ?) - seems a very, very long time to get your head around! It's beginning predates the last Atlantean epoch... Then again the Ica stones are maybe even from an earlier time... So perhaps its all about our perception of time itself?

Phoenix Blue
October 13th, 2008, 07:17 AM
According to folklore, 13 crystal skulls were created in a dimension other than this world up to 30,000 years ago and hidden in Central and South America. On Dec. 21, 2012, the skulls will reunite, activate and save the Earth from doom.
Wasn't that the plot to the last Indiana Jones movie?

Trithemius
October 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Wasn't that the plot to the last Indiana Jones movie?

Pretty much.

pathwalkerUK
March 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
i've had a look on youtube at various vidoes about 2012, the apocalypse,etc

there was a documentary on BBC1 or 2 about crystal skulls and it seems one was made as a hoax, if some one is a skilled enough craftsman or craftswoman, they can make anything out of crystal

there was some myth some one posted on a website about a tomb in egypt being found empty (mad/paranoid person alert) they made up this load of rubbish that the contents of the empty sarcophagus was burried in the desert outside of the pyramid and said "once the remains were put back inside the sarcophagus, a barrier/shield would be raised covering the earth saving it from disaster"

many people posted messages saying this claim was bogus and had no factual evidence to back it up, to shield a planet of this size would take an enormus about of energy that todays technology just couldnt generate and isnt sophisticated enough

likewise, there was a weird video by what looked like a cult saying that...i think its this year, an alien space craft will come to earth and hover (guess where,yes, thats right, America) for 3 days with its shields/security screen raised, they wont attempt to make any form of communication as the worlds governments wouldnt be prepeared or ready to communicate just yet, they claim "they come to earth in the name of love" (a woman is narrating the video) and at 3 points pre 2012 (9/9/2009,etc 7/7/2007,etc) you can ask for something called "the jesus energy" -

What exactly is "the jesus energy", and is it real?

finally theres a several part video collection, again, on youtube, describing how aliens came to earth thousands of years ago, genertically altered homo-erectus into what we considder "the modern human" (homosapian)

they claim that atlantis was a city with gold pyramids,etc and that the aliens shared their knowledge with us, but after several millena passed, the powers the be saw that greed, corruption,etc took over and the aliens wee forced to leave/they left, Atlantis was desotryed and the human race was "plunged" into chaos and we've been left to fend for ourselves

a lot of the evidence from the videos doesnt seem to make any sense as there are lots of under-water sites for where "Atlantis" could have been,

so far there have been claims: off shore of france, maybe off the coast of spain, America, the mediterainian, the most recent off the coast of affrica

a few years ago, some french guy cliamed he found it at the sea floor of the mediteranian sea between cypress and syria

I've had a look at some pictures of the ocean floor, and theres a long what looks like a "road" of some description, its "smooth" in appearence that runs on the ocean floor from africa to i think south america, from the appearence, its too neat to be naturally occuring

also, there is one bit of scientific evidence i can offer this community that would explain "the apocalypse" some scientists across the world seem to suggest that in 2012, earth will align with the black hole in the centre of the galaxy, and the north and south poles will litterally "switch" im not a major science buff as i only have high school grade science to work with here, but im guessing that, due to the weight of the earth, combined with the planets core being a mix of solid and liquid metal and the planets gravity field, as the poles switch, the planet will/could litterally "move" or "turn" its position i.e like when you turn over in your sleep so the world map will look a little different,

side effects of this event will mean:

.tidal waves and possibly tsunami's,
.possibly volcano's erupting due to the movement of magma pockets,etc
.forest fires,
.migrating birds will leave and arrive later or early in a state of confusion,etc

and some of my own guesses and i stress, THESE ARE PURE GUESSES the moon might change is position or even change its orbit which could result more eclipses and maybe the aurora borialis/ aurora astralais (spell check)

all giving the impression of "the apocalypse" is coming due to chaos

By all means im not a paranoid head-case who believes "everything" i read about aliens,etc

for the purposes of reasuring you all have some (degree of) sanity and common sense, logic and statistics state, the in this galaxy, there are millions and billions of stars, in turn, each of them has atleast one planet, be it air-less rock, a gass giant,etc

if you think about it carefully, the combined area of everything inside this galaxy has something inside it, be it gassious nebulae, asteroid, ice,etc eventually you will find life somewhere, be it bacterial, microbial,etc the problem is, there are no proper set rules for "the criteria of life" the human race and everything on earth is just one unique set of variables (oxygen/nitrogen atmopshere, gravity,etc) in a scientific magazine i saw last year, scitentists theorise that life doesnt necesissaraly (spell check) need to stick to the same rules us we do in order to have dna or any form of life, it helps, but it doesnt allways need them

the final factor in all this is, "the milkyway" galaxy is just one of many, the universe is something like..several hundred billion years old? ish? give or take, its possible life could have formed and evolved else ware in the universe long before the first microbe appeared on earth, they would have had time to evolve and develop culturally and technologically, its both reasonal and sound to considder that THERE IS almost definately intellagent life out in the universe somewhere, its just impossible to know exactly where it is, and what it is, dont automatically think "grey skin, big black eyes" for all we know, vulcan's truely are out there spredding the ways of logic amungst the people of the milkway lol

but in all seriousness (and after much delay) is there any truth to the Maya prediction of "the earth ends in 2012" Planet X/Niburu passes over and the earth gets desimated/the religious stuff kicks off and the cities of God and babylon clash,etc? or is it just some load of rubbish some religious nut thought of to make people behave?

ignescentphoenix
March 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM
What if we get hit by a gamma ray burst on 2012?

That would suck. How deep in the earth would one have to go to survive the initial blast?

pathwalkerUK
March 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM
gamma ray burst? the earths magnetic field wont "shut off" of just stop working, it'll move with the planets core, in a simple term, it's the equivalent of a bed sheet or fabric moving around in the wind, in order for the earths magnetic field to "stop" or "go down" the earth's core would have to keep still

ignescentphoenix
March 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
gamma ray burst? the earths magnetic field wont "shut off" of just stop working, it'll move with the planets core, in a simple term, it's the equivalent of a bed sheet or fabric moving around in the wind, in order for the earths magnetic field to "stop" or "go down" the earth's core would have to keep still

I was talking about the kind that blasts away the atmosphere.

Infinite Grey
March 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I was talking about the kind that blasts away the atmosphere.

Where is this fatal and brutal gamma ray burst coming from pray tell?

ignescentphoenix
March 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM

A star close to us. They are very rare in our type of galaxy, or so I read.

Hey, Im not saying its going to happen but its fun to think of all the things that won't happen in 2012.

Infinite Grey
March 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
A star close to us. They are very rare in our type of galaxy, or so I read.

Hey, Im not saying its going to happen but its fun to think of all the things that won't happen in 2012.

Errr, I do not think there are any stars ready to go supernovae anywhere near us, any time soon.

The only likely thing to happen in 2012 will be pretty much the say shit that happen during 2000, only less.

Laisrean
March 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM

I seen a show about it. I think it has something to do with a pulsar or something about 8,000 light years off that scientists said could go off any time, but even if it did go off it would also have to be aimed at Earth and that may not be likely, but it is possible.

The frightening thing about it is that the Gamma burst would travel at the speed of light, so you'd never see it coming. For all we know, one might be on its way as we speak.

Infinite Grey
March 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM
I seen a show about it. I think it has something to do with a pulsar or something about 8,000 light years off that scientists said could go off any time, but even if it did go off it would also have to be aimed at Earth and that may not be likely, but it is possible.

The frightening thing about it is that the Gamma burst would travel at the speed of light, so you'd never see it coming. For all we know, one might be on its way as we speak.

8,000 light years away... and could go off at any time... I'm not sure what you think a Pulsar Star is, nor am I sure what you mean by "go off"... but even it is were to "go off" the moment I press the reply button, Gamma Burst would take 8,000 years to reach Earth. No, a Star going Supernova is much scarier, but there are none that pose a risk to Earth known

What is a risk to Earth is asteroids.

ignescentphoenix
March 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
8,000 light years away... and could go off at any time... I'm not sure what you think a Pulsar Star is, nor am I sure what you mean by "go off"... but even it is were to "go off" the moment I press the reply button, Gamma Burst would take 8,000 years to reach Earth. No, a Star going Supernova is much scarier, but there are none that pose a risk to Earth known

What is a risk to Earth is asteroids.

Asteroids, gamma ray bursts, and supernovas all seem like they would be dangerous to the earth.

Infinite Grey
March 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Asteroids, gamma ray bursts, and supernovas all seem like they would be dangerous to the earth.

Well it would take one hell of a gamma ray burst as we get them from the sun already... there are no really big star close enough to damage us if they go supernova... that really only leaves a few doomsday options... the most likely, and has happen before, is the asteroids. If we're going down, it'll be to the sound of a huge chunk of rock and ice ripping the Earth's crust apart.

Ruby Heart
March 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
The subject about the crystal skulls has nothing to do with 2012.

Here is a site about the mystery of the skulls http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_6_1.htm
And this one takes another viewpoint http://skepdic.com/crystalskull.html

Laisrean
March 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
Gamma Burst would take 8,000 years to reach Earth.

Didn't I say exactly that? I said it could be on its way here right now and due to the speed of light we won't see it coming. Why don't you pay attention?

Infinite Grey
March 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Didn't I say exactly that? I said it could be on its way here right now and due to the speed of light we won't see it coming. Why don't you pay attention?

Oh I found the star you were talking about, The Wolf-Rayet star WR 104, located 8000 light years from Earth, has been found to have a rotational axis aligned within 16° of the solar system - An asteroid is still a far greater threat.

Louisvillian
March 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Link (http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1213607739237880.xml&coll=1)
offensive picture removed

Laisrean
March 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Oh I found the star you were talking about, The Wolf-Rayet star WR 104, located 8000 light years from Earth, has been found to have a rotational axis aligned within 16° of the solar system - An asteroid is still a far greater threat.

Well yes, just like I said. I admit I'm not Einstein, but I'm not as much of an idiot as you think I am.

Anyways, a Gamma Ray burst scares me more than asteroids even if its less likely. Why? Because at least with an Asteroid you can see it coming, and possibly do something about it. With a gamma ray burst it could happen 1 second from now and there's nothing you can do about it.