View Full Version : costume ideas please

September 11th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Our group is doing a costume ball and this year the theme is The Elements. So far I have come up with one good idea but have to make 4 more for the family and I am racking my brain and coming up blank. any help would be great.
The only Idea I have is .. Rain.. I have this one already planned out.
Thankyou very much

Yvonne Belisle
September 11th, 2002, 11:35 AM
boys or girls adults or kids.

Old Witch
September 11th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Well, Fire.........I see yellow, red, orange, chiffon, slim, scarf type dress......and maybe a sequinned red, orange, yellow, head dress......not a candle flame type top mind you......a conflaguration type top.....If I can figure out how to get my paint program to work I'll try to draw it for you..........:( When I painted it, it was ugly, but I believe in real life it would be pretty, swirling around the ankles and the colors showing thru the chiffon.............Probably be pricey tho...........

September 11th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Yvonne Thomas
boys or girls adults or kids.

2 boys (Kids)
2 adults 1 male 1 female

Great Idea OW but yes in the town I live it would be very spendy I 'm lookig for more cardboard and paint , scrap materal, and such.I quess I am just realy brain dead. lol

Yvonne Belisle
September 11th, 2002, 06:46 PM
How about on one of the boys water you get a batch of blue balloons and put them all over his clothes which also should be blue he can be water that way. Or take a clear plastic bag a really big one or a blue one cut out his legs and arms and face use some double sided tape to keep it where you want it on his face fill it with balloons to fill out the water drop and twist it up top so it forms a tear drop.

Fire get some poster board and some cellophane. Make a sandwich board that looks like a flame and then put pieces of red and orange cellophane coming up around the face and head you can use bits of poster board to keep some upright.

For air what about a cloud? Dress all in white put a bag on the body filled with balloons and then find something to make it look kind of fluffy use silver to give your cloud a silver lining. :)

Earth go with brown and stick stones not really big ones to yourself an amethist here a jasper there.

Spirit is a hard one for ideas because spirit is all of us it is in all that we do and say and who we are. Perhaps a posterboard sandwich again with a collage of pictures that have meaning to the wearer when they thing of what spirit is?

September 11th, 2002, 07:25 PM
OW - that sounds fabulous! :D

Going along with OW's idea (kinda) you could check out thrift shops and such for coloured scarves, and other light materials that you could cut up. :) Also, sometimes fabric stores have a discount bin. Or if you have some old sheets (with just a basic colour) that you could cut up and make a dress or shirt out of, then sew bits of coloured tissue paper to.. :) I think that would look fabulous too.

For air... How about something with a bunch of cottonballs? I think someone I used to know did that a while back and it looked fabulous.

Yvonne Belisle
September 11th, 2002, 10:40 PM
instead of cotton balls something cheaper and available now is those spider webs they sell and they are gauzey and would work really well

September 11th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Hm...I never thought of using that stuff. :)

September 12th, 2002, 03:11 AM
always, and I say always......remember bathroom breaks!!!

Old Witch
September 12th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Point well made.....make sure you wear something decent under that Sandwich board......and that you have a place to park it..............and the water balloons too.......water could take on a whole new meaning..............

Edited to include water.............

September 12th, 2002, 01:09 PM
ah yes, the toidy break. The great pee pee. The Halloween
disaster of 1978, sure the mummy is a cool idea....but dont actually
just wrap your dumb ass up, because all that punch and cake just
has to go somewhere. Thats when ya find that friends are scarce.

"Would you help me to unwrap my ass so I can go pee?"