PDA

View Full Version : The earth may have acquired another moon.

Yvonne Belisle
September 11th, 2002, 01:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2251386.stm

We may have another moon.

Danustouch
September 11th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Hmmmmmm.. i wonder if that will effect gravity in any way. Or if it will effect Astrology, if it IS a new moon.

Illuminatus
September 12th, 2002, 11:37 AM
If we do, it's tiny. I read on Slashdot that the new moon (the 3rd) was determined to be some Apollo space-junk left in orbit. Though there is actually a second moon orbiting earth, though it's very tiny, a stray piece of the asteroid belt or mars that got lost.

- Ill

Altheia
September 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
definentley wierd...never thought of having another moon...would that mean that there would be two nights to our one day?

mato
September 12th, 2002, 12:46 PM
huh, well cool now we dont have to go so far to test out some space/astroid mining tech. Neat!

Illuminatus
September 13th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Altheia
definentley wierd...never thought of having another moon...would that mean that there would be two nights to our one day?

By that logic, Saturn would have 4 nights to every 1 day, and Neptune would have 2:1. Mars wouldn't even HAVE nights, since it has no moon!

Day and night are related to the rotational inertia of the planetary body, the moons don't come into it. Except for the occational total eclipse, when the moon blots out the sun, and darkness encompasses the earth, and vampires may walk abroad during the daylight hours. Thankfully, such a horrifying thing has not happened for centuries.

Phoenix Blue
September 13th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Huh? **Blinks** Mars has two moons: Phobos and Deimos. Granted, they're probably just captured asteroids, but they're still natural satellites nonetheless. . .

Illuminatus
September 13th, 2002, 05:53 PM
No, I just played Star Control II, and I visited Mars not three days ago, and there were no moons. Maybe they didn't come up on the scanner because they were too small or there were no energy/mineral/life readings from the sensors. I think you need to check your facts buddy!

Yvonne Belisle
September 15th, 2002, 11:29 AM
If it turns out to be space junk from us will it still count as a moon since it is caught in our gravitational field? Does anyone think it will be salvaged if junk or do you think we will polute the area around our planet too?

mol
September 18th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Illuminatus
No, I just played Star Control II, and I visited Mars not three days ago, and there were no moons. Maybe they didn't come up on the scanner because they were too small or there were no energy/mineral/life readings from the sensors. I think you need to check your facts buddy!

LOL.

Xentor
April 24th, 2003, 06:30 PM
It would certainly start to be interesting once the summed mass of the acquired moons reach, say, one-twentieth of the original moon. By that time, Earths gravitational field would have changed noticably.

I believe I saw a Discovery Channel documentary last year, entitled "If there was no moon". Earths axis would keep rolling, thus the polar ice caps would travel all over, creating enormously chaotic climates. It would certainly be interesting to see if and how humans could adept to that.

Chibi-Fallon
April 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Isn't the one we got slowly going away? Like 3 inches a year (or maybe less) or something? I thought I heard that somewhere. So we need a few spares anyway. ;)

Illuminatus
April 25th, 2003, 05:11 PM
We still have ice ages, every 26,000 years or so on and off

Xentor
April 27th, 2003, 07:29 PM

We still have ice ages, every 26,000 years or so on and off

Yes, but without a moon, the period would be a lot smaller, say 300 years. Now with a couple of moons massing up, the climate wouldn't go eratic, instead it would become quite a dull experience, except for the increase in volcano eruptions.

But Chibi Fallon, I wouldn't worry about our moon travelling away from us. It actually is, but the rate at which our Sun is growing is a lot faster. So by the time our moon leaves our planet, our planet may be no longer.

Ahautenites
April 27th, 2003, 07:37 PM
**jaw drops** So this is what I missed while I was in the process of moving. Two whole moons I didn't know we even had.

Xander67
April 27th, 2003, 08:08 PM
stupid movers :T

Erincelt
April 28th, 2003, 02:59 PM
I've been wondering about this, so last night I hunkered down in a tree down the road and asked Luna about these two young'uns. And her answer made perfectly good sense to me.

It seems that with all the attention she's been getting lately, she's getting a bit tired and thinly spread, so she's training up a couple of freshmen to take over. Then she's going to go into an early retirement, having hasked a couple of friendly asteroids to give her a shove once her two students are up to their task.

Rather reasonable I suppose. She's had a good run.

Psyche Ague
April 28th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Erincelt

I've been wondering about this, so last night I hunkered down in a tree down the road and asked Luna about these two young'uns. And her answer made perfectly good sense to me.

It seems that with all the attention she's been getting lately, she's getting a bit tired and thinly spread, so she's training up a couple of freshmen to take over. Then she's going to go into an early retirement, having hasked a couple of friendly asteroids to give her a shove once her two students are up to their task.

Rather reasonable I suppose. She's had a good run.
Oh my god, that's beautiful! :lol: I love it!

If there were no moon, I'd be very sad indeed. :(

Chibi, the plate under the Pacific ocean is moving at about the same rate as the Moon. But in our lifetimes, we'll never notice any change. In several million years, Los Angeles will become a suburb of San Francisco because of the moving Juan de Fuca plate along the San Andreas fault. But we also won't see that. So no worries, love. We'll burn up before Luna gets away. ;)

Gently Gazing Eyes
May 17th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Hmm.

And then several thousand years from now, instead of a Tripple Goddess of the Moon, we'll be worshiping a Goddess of the Tripple Moon. Of course by then, we will be giant quadrapedal cockroaches with detachable antennae, and will flit about randomly. :)

cydira
May 17th, 2003, 09:46 PM
I wonder why there was nothing about this in Sky and Telescope this month...?

I wonder if it's possible to observe this object (I don't know if it's a moon or space debris, so I'l call it an object right now. :)) with a small telescope. I've got a *small* refractor, maeby I'll catch a glimpse of it. :D

I'm still peeved that I missed the lunar eclipse thursday. It was cloudy and raining in my neck of the woods. <pouts> I probably was working at the time too. LOL

Ahh well, I'll try seeing if I can find the thingy and if I get a glimpse of it, I'll post up here my observations. :D

PS: It's kinda sad that our night vision is so poor that we can't see the colors in nebulae. I can see the Orion nebula in my dinky telescope, but it's kinda fuzzy and black and white-ish. :( Hopefully that won't be a problem with this new and interesting little thing floating out there. :D

Xentor
May 18th, 2003, 07:41 AM
This new satellite is so near, if it does have any colour you should be able to see it.

cydira
May 18th, 2003, 10:58 PM
I'll post the notes of my next observing session up after I get a good night to do some. :D If anything, ya'll may like hearing about what I see in my part of the boonies. :)

mol
May 19th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by NeferSesemet

**jaw drops** So this is what I missed while I was in the process of moving. Two whole moons I didn't know we even had.

:D

They dont seem to be huge news.

Psyche Ague
May 19th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by PaganInkubus

Hmm.

And then several thousand years from now, instead of a Tripple Goddess of the Moon, we'll be worshiping a Goddess of the Tripple Moon. Of course by then, we will be giant quadrapedal cockroaches with detachable antennae, and will flit about randomly. :)
:rotfl:

Myrddyn Emrys
May 19th, 2003, 08:37 PM

I think you need to check your facts buddy!

I think you perhaps are the one who needs to recheck YOUR facts.

PhoenixBlue is correct here. BOTH of Mars' moons appear to be captured asteroids. Try an astronomy book instead of a video game, or even a seventh grade science book from the 1970's where I was taught this.

Myrddyn Emrys

Bryony
May 21st, 2003, 09:12 PM
cydira, there is another lunar eclipse this year on November 9th. A mere second in the general scheme of things.

mol
May 24th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Myrddyn Emrys

I think you perhaps are the one who needs to recheck YOUR facts.

PhoenixBlue is correct here. BOTH of Mars' moons appear to be captured asteroids. Try an astronomy book instead of a video game, or even a seventh grade science book from the 1970's where I was taught this.

:D

All right, guys...calm down.

Myrddyn Emrys
May 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Mol,

It's alright, not mad, not upset.

No problem.

Myrddyn Emrys

Twig
May 24th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Myrddyn Emrys

Mol,

It's alright, not mad, not upset.

No problem.

Myrddyn Emrys

Look.... at.... this! 8O My dearest Brother Emrys put a special post In PaganResponse telling me he is picking up my stress all the way in AZ. and to chill out. :rolleyes: Yes daddy! Hahahah

So...then....I come here....to the second forum....and I see he took the stress with him!!!!! :heartthro 8O THAT is a thing I've not seen in you before Myrrdyn. Since when do I rate clearing on this pattern!?? But thank you. It worked.

Well then! Shall we all go shoot a game of pool or something and keep each other from trouble my friends?? I'm buying!

Keepin the peace,
Twig
:elf:

younghawk
May 25th, 2003, 11:21 AM
I am really enjoying reading all of your post in here, very interesting chats and i thought i would add a little info

This site is very cool to me because it talks of a astological event that is coming up soon with alot of the planets starting to come into alignment

check it out

www.harmonicconcordance.com

Myrddyn Emrys
May 25th, 2003, 06:07 PM
I knew that an alignment was getting close, but I didn't know it was getting that close. I've got two different sky viewer programs on my computer and I guess I need to pay more attention to them.

Myrddyn Emrys

Twig
May 26th, 2003, 12:36 AM
I mentioned not long back that there was something making the hair on my neck stand up after I did a little research into other "prophesey". By that I mean celestial and natural occurances in different forms and locations and statistical probablities blah blah yak yak.

I noticed a increasing in frequancy starting with saturns retrograde and theorised a further increase throught the year. Well, it's happening. The 2012 calender is but one of many other theorys that call for this increase at this general time.

Now MY really really weird experience is enough to take us off topic so I'll start another thread.

Space junk, hmmmmmmm.

What am I going to tell them when they ask WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?"

"Reply.......Something WONDERFUL!
{2001 A Space Odyssey}

Peace,
Twig
:elf:

cydira
May 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Did a little observing as I walked home from work about 2 nights ago. Didn't see all that much, but the moon was quite pretty. It was too cloudy and too many lights for me to really see anything before it started raining. :(

But I'm still hoping to try and see *something*.

BTW: Mars is going to be at *prime* viewing in August. S&T is estimating that it's going to be August 27th for the best viewing.

Just thought that I'd share.

Silver_Alhena
May 31st, 2003, 05:23 PM
Talking about the moon.. did anyone see it? Did ya? Did ya, huh?

I was one of those mad mincieheids that got up at 3:30 a.m. to climb a very steep hill IN THE MIST hoping to see it. (living half way up the hill in question didn't make it less of a gruelling climb as the path is so eroded) There was a lot of cloud cover as well, and although it didn't get dark that we noticed, the birds stopped singing for about a minute and a half before starting up again. As I was about to walk home, having seen noting, the mist suddenly dropped, and we all caught the last 25 minutes of it.
It was Amazing. And unfortunately it's the last solar eclipse in Britain until 2086. Somehow I doubt I'll live until then though! ;)

I thank my lucky stars that for once Scotland was in the the best position to see the eclipse - normally it's Cornwall in the south-west of England.