PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice

David Brider
July 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Firstly - hi! Newbie here.

I come seeking a bit of advice and information.

I've been a Christian for twelve years now, and am very happy with being a Christian. I'm a member of The Oasis Church (http://www.theoasischurch.org.uk), which is part of the newfrontiers family of churches, whose theology is best described as reformed charismatic and whose style of worship is best described as cheerful and exuberant and making much use of modern music.

And I'm happy there (although quite often when everyone around me is singing cheerfully I'm sometimes wanting to just kneel down and quietly connect with God in my own way)...

...but recently, for some reason, I've found myself intrigued by what little I know of Paganism, and wondering if some sort of syncretism between Paganism and Christianity may be the right path for me - whether Christo-Paganism, Christian Wicca, or something else. That being the case, I just wondered if those who identify as Christian Witches, Christian Pagans, or anything similar, could give me some insight into what their path means for them, and what it involves at a practical level (rituals? Meetings with other Christian Wiccans?), so that I can maybe get some idea of what it might look like for me. All help would be gratefully received.

LostSheep
July 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Greetings.

I think I'd say that it just seems to me as if it fits the gaps in what i find unsatisfying about mainstream Christianity: i.e. the idea of 'no God but me', the 'big man upstairs' kind of idea, the one who will decide who is and isn't chosen for salvation, and will quite cheerfully smite anyone he wants to on a quite arbitrary basis. That kind of God neither appealed, nor made much sense, to me (in view of the simple definition given by John that "God is love"), but I couldn't reject the idea of some kind of deity completely, so I came round to looking at God in a panentheistic kind of way (God is everywhere but is also a separate, guiding force behind the Universe, is I think how I'd see it). And then, i was mildly surprised to find, on reading around the subject, that not only that didn't seem incompatible with what Jesus taught, but he may have even thought along the same lines himself. So the two elements kind of fit together for me: God is here and now, in nature, around us, but that doesn't, i think, invalidate the idea of God presented in the New Testament.

Merely my personal way of looking at it, of course; I wouldn't expect that anyone would agree in every single detail.

Aethelflaed
July 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm no longer a Christian, but that actually sounds very much like what I believe. :)

Cloaked Raven
July 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hi David, and welcome to the Christian Witchcraft Forum for starters. You can call me Cloaky if it's any easier for you to.

OK, about my path. I class myself as a Christian Witch. I pray to the Christian Holy Trinity yet a lot of my rituals are based in Paganism. I cast spells and such, and believe that whatever I send out, it comes back to me threefold.

I have a few spell books that I use. One is for Christians specifically to cast spells, to set up altars, etc., one is specifically for Witchcraft and two are designed to be for either Christians or non-Christians, you just adapt the spell to whatever God/ess/s you worship. I even have a book on Shamanism, which is adapted from the Native North Americans because I'm part Native Canadian and their rituals have always been an interest of mine.

I haven't been lucky enough to meet up with others on my path yet. I'm the only Christian Witch in my area that I know of, if not my entire province and it's hard for me to travel right now, due to lack of money and having a child with Autism. I'm a lone CW right now.

Before I cast a spell or do any ritual, I always light some purifying incense to clear the room of any negative energy (or people!). Then I sit or stand quietly for a few minutes, to collect my thoughts, drive any negativity I have away and to start off the ritual/spell in the gentlest manner possible. Then I perform it, focusing my energy into the spell/ritual to give it the maximum amount of power I can and send it off into the universe. After I'm finished, I say a prayer of thanks to the Trinity, clean up anything that needs to be and then relax with a glass of pop or some apple cinnamon tea. I'm generally exhausted mentally and physically from my rituals since I put so much of myself into them that I have to rest afterwards.

I do read cards, not Tarot cards but regular playing cards. I never had the ability to learn Tarot but reading regular cards came very easily. I do Numerology. I am trying to learn how to read palms but that is an ability I do not possess by the looks of the way things are going with that.

There is a thread here if you're interested on how some of us went from Christian to our current path. Some of the anecdotes are very sad by times. However, it is interesting to read how one went from straight Christian to Pagan or even a Christian/Pagan hybrid like myself.

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=172436

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me anytime and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Best of luck!

LacyRoze
July 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hello David and welcome to MW!!

I consider myself as a Christian with some pagan leanings. I don't believe God sits in the clouds passing judgement on us. I believe God is in each of us and in all things around us. He's in the whisper of the evening breeze, the roll of the surf, the rustling of the leaves. I don't need a pastor or a book to tell me what is right or wrong, God does that himself if I only listen. I don't feel I have the right to condemn those who have beliefs that are different from mine. I believe we all have to follow the path that is right for us as individuals and that ultimately, we're all striving for the same thing, a personal connection with the divine.

As for rituals and practices? I start my morning with a prayer of thanks and often light a candle to carry my prayers on their way. I often cleanse myself and my home of negativity. I try to bring my spirituality into all aspects of my life from cleaning to cooking, from gardening to quietly meditating in my favorite spot. I send out prayers and energy to those in need. Before bed I spend time in meditation and then say prayers of thanks for all that happened during my day, for all the blessings in my life.

This probably only scratches the surface of my beliefs and I'll be happy to answer any questions..

LostSheep
July 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hello David and welcome to MW!!

I consider myself as a Christian with some pagan leanings. I don't believe God sits in the clouds passing judgement on us. I believe God is in each of us and in all things around us. He's in the whisper of the evening breeze, the roll of the surf, the rustling of the leaves. ..

I like that.

LacyRoze
July 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I like that.

Thank you sheepy!!

Evinmeer
July 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hello David, and welcome to both MW and the strange twists of the CW path. My own story (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=172436) is still a work in progress, but to answer your questions....

Rituals - Yes, I perform rituals. Some I have researched and adapted for my personal use from pagan books and websites; others I have created on my own.

Other CW - Only those I have met on MW, unfortunately. However, my fellowship continues in the Christian community as well; my beliefs have not changed at the core, so I haven't been isolated as others might have been or may be. But then, that possibility depends greatly on the people you currently worship with.

The best advice I can offer is to spend plenty of time in prayer and to make your decisions according to the answers you receive. You'll get no straighter answers than from our God. :-)

MariThorn
July 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Greetings David,
Welcome to the Christian Witch forum and Mystic Wicks in general! I was raised in a Christian family, read fundamentalist there, but I always had questions that their branch of Christianity couldn't answer. (I've posted it elsewhere here on the site.) When I hit 27 or 28 I was introduced to paganism and witchcraft by a fellow college friend. It meshed with my life, and I didn't really have many problems walking away from the fights and hate in fundamentalist Christianity. I kept my beliefs to myself, aside from internet chat sites and one coven I joined for a short timespan, and after 2 years I started looking at Catholicism. (I never quit believing in the trinity or Jesus. I just found that they fit into witchcraft, which has a trinitarian basis at points itself.) I converted to Catholicism 1.5 yrs ago and since have learned that the things I do at home fit hand and glove into tradition of the Church.

It is acceptable to have an altar in your home, Catholic santuaries are blessed and protected on all four walls with holy chrism just like I protect and bless my own home, the way I consecrate my witch things is similar to how my Priest consecrates any Christian item I bring him, they follow the Wheel of the Year in their liturgical calendar as I follow it at home, they believe as I do that God is neither male or female, that it is Love manifest to humans, and that at the end of one's search it is Truth, and that any path that leads you to Truth is correct. I could continue, but people would probably get tired of reading :P.

I hope you find your own path :)

Pneumatikos
August 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I am kind of a spiritual mutt. I have real ADHD about my spiritual walk up to about a year ago. I am a christian who believes that the worship of a person is the most important thing in his/her life.
I started out in the churches of christ, went to foursquare gospel, Methodist to a charismatic church and threw in a very short stint with Satan Worshipers; then spent a year and a half in Bible College. I was one messed up dude

Now I attend aa Baptist Church (Yeah, that's what I said) and I incorporate
spiritual truths from all walks including Wicca. That is how I ended up here.
As you see, It takes a long time to develop one's path. Hang in and you will feelit out. God is not the author of confusion
:bigredgri

zionwood
August 4th, 2008, 05:08 PM
well, i'm a Christian witch (beginner novice in the Norvicensian path), and how i practice witchery is: i meditate (centering prayer) and ground, i have an altar and a sacred space in nature, i do some solitary rituals, i write in my book of lights (same as book of shadows, really), i spend time with God (Whom i also call Goddess) in nature, i learn about nature, i celebrate nature's cycles ( i LOVE the witches' sabbats, that's kinda how i got into witchery)...i sometimes go to an interfaith (mostly pagan) group for women who believe in the divine feminine.
I still go to church--i officially joined my denomination last year--and i try to be active, both there and (now) a college-age Christian group i started going to this summer (i just graduated from college.)