PDA

View Full Version : I hate snakes...

scorpiochick77
July 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Okay I'm tempted to pack up my stuff and move away from here! Last summer we ended up killing two BIG rattlesnakes right in my backyard. The worst part of it is the fact that both times they were in my dogs pen. They were barking hysterically so I went out to see and sure enough (both times) there were a rattlesnake in there coiled up ready to strike. This was within two months apart and the only difference was that the first time it was a diamondback and the other time it was a timber rattler.

So today- same exact thing except it was near the freakin back doorsteps! All i can think about now is the fact that someone could have stepped on it. Another thing (back to last year) is that there was a snake in my attic and I could hear it up there a few times slithering around. *shudders just thinking of it*

Anyway- I HATE SNAKES!! Any of you MW'ers that like them are welcome to come here and capture them to take back wiv you!:lol:

Glowy
July 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Okay I'm tempted to pack up my stuff and move away from here! Last summer we ended up killing two BIG rattlesnakes right in my backyard. The worst part of it is the fact that both times they were in my dogs pen. They were barking hysterically so I went out to see and sure enough (both times) there were a rattlesnake in there coiled up ready to strike. This was within two months apart and the only difference was that the first time it was a diamondback and the other time it was a timber rattler.

So today- same exact thing except it was near the freakin back doorsteps! All i can think about now is the fact that someone could have stepped on it. Another thing (back to last year) is that there was a snake in my attic and I could hear it up there a few times slithering around. *shudders just thinking of it*

Anyway- I HATE SNAKES!! Any of you MW'ers that like them are welcome to come here and capture them to take back wiv you!:lol:

EWWW I do too. You need Pandora Healer to help. She likes snakes.. too bad she is sooo far away:mmm:

I would not leave the house

mephistopheles
July 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Step 1: Place snake in box
Step 2: Mail to Mephi :toofless:

WickedBttrfly
July 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Well I like snakes, but I prefer the non-poisonous kind. :uhhuhuh:

sarabethv
July 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
rattlers do NOT make good pets.

Check with the experts in your area - there may be a reason you got so many, and something you can do to scare them away (other than importing a mongoose).

LyraDragonStar
July 18th, 2008, 12:00 AM
no!! don't kill it! snakes are neat! :) well when they're in cages, or the harmless kind.

i guess it's not good to have them sitting around your home. good luck.

halfwaynowhere
July 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
venemoids are not fun.

Last year, Zeus, a dog that we had found and eventually adopted out, was on a walk with his new owner, an elderly woman who lived out in the desert. A rattler was about to strike his owner, and he jumped in the way. That snake bit him right on his jugular. The venom didn't get to him as much as the bite did. He bled immensely, and died before they could get him anywhere for help.

I do know that in rattlesnake areas, there are sometimes places that offer training for your dog to teach them to avoid rattle snakes. My sister discussed doing that with her dogs, and I saw a flier about it at my vet's office... It might be something to look into.

BenSt
July 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
thats so scary. Thats one reason I don't think Id like to travel to australia... too many snakes.

It must be so worrying especially when the dogs are in danger :(.

Oh scorpio... it'll be fine.

On the bright side though, where would you move to>??:bow:

TygerTyger
July 18th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I think snakes are amazing - all kinds of snakes.

We recently had a confirmed sighting of Adders here at work but they are such shy creatures that the chances of going out and finding one in my lunch break is so remote I'd have more chance of seeing a four-leaf clover!

Ratttlesnakes are not generally considered to be aggressive, their rattle is a warning device and they'd much rather slither away from a confrontation than actually get into a fight. However, that said, I can understand your concern when they start turning up in and around your home.

I agree with Sarabethv, contact a local expert and see if they are aware of any reasons as to why these snakes are finding your palce so attractive; it could be your home cooking?!

sarabethv
July 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Funny Story

When I was a younger and more agile female, my Mom and I were picking some fox grapes (a wild variety) up in Northern Arizona. While you cannot eat these tiny little suckers they make the BEST jelly.

I leaned out to get a particularly large bunch and the ledge I was on gave way. Yep the entire thing collapsed with me on it.

I came down on my butt with my legs spread - so it kinda looked like I was just sitting there resting a bit. Still had the small knife in my hand I had been using.

However, between my legs - at knee level - was one of the biggest diamond back rattlesnakes I have ever seen.

He reared up, like they do when they are about to strike, and I knew I was gonna get bit. There was no way I could move because he was right there and I had the breath knocked out of me.

Strangely, all I could think of was; "How the hell am I going to explain to the doctor how I got bit THERE?"

My Mom had come running over when the ledge collapsed to see if I was okay - and saw the situation. She yelled down, "I'm going to get the truck." Because she thought she would have to carry me to it and get me to the hospital.

All this took place in maybe a minute or two.

Then, and yes I DO know that snakes don't make verbal type sounds, but I swear the snake said; "EEEEEPPPP," fell over backwards and slithered away as fast as he could.......... all 5-6 feet of him.

I didn't move for a minute or two or even take a deep breath. Then, my mom who saw this happen said; "Well don't just sit there." So I got up, climbed back up to where she was, we looked at each other and started to laugh.

All the way back home, we were laughing about this snake going back to his wife and kids and telling them about the near miss he had.

"Seriously hon, this entire cliff came down and on top of it was this HUMAN. She must have weighed 100 pounds or more and she missed me by THIS MUCH. I thought I was a goner."

Nitefalle
July 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM
SC, consider getting a cat. When my parents moved out to the country about six or seven years ago, one of the dogs got bit by a rattler that was in the yard. At that point, since they had just moved, they were keeping our two cats inside. The dog was fine, but a couple of months after that, they let the cats out to live under the front shed and they've never had a snake problem since. Apart from mongeese, cats are very nimble and good at killing snakes, as well.

materra
July 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Funny Story

When I was a younger and more agile female, my Mom and I were picking some fox grapes (a wild variety) up in Northern Arizona. While you cannot eat these tiny little suckers they make the BEST jelly.

I leaned out to get a particularly large bunch and the ledge I was on gave way. Yep the entire thing collapsed with me on it.

I came down on my butt with my legs spread - so it kinda looked like I was just sitting there resting a bit. Still had the small knife in my hand I had been using.

However, between my legs - at knee level - was one of the biggest diamond back rattlesnakes I have ever seen.

He reared up, like they do when they are about to strike, and I knew I was gonna get bit. There was no way I could move because he was right there and I had the breath knocked out of me.

Strangely, all I could think of was; "How the hell am I going to explain to the doctor how I got bit THERE?"

My Mom had come running over when the ledge collapsed to see if I was okay - and saw the situation. She yelled down, "I'm going to get the truck." Because she thought she would have to carry me to it and get me to the hospital.

All this took place in maybe a minute or two.

Then, and yes I DO know that snakes don't make verbal type sounds, but I swear the snake said; "EEEEEPPPP," fell over backwards and slithered away as fast as he could.......... all 5-6 feet of him.

I didn't move for a minute or two or even take a deep breath. Then, my mom who saw this happen said; "Well don't just sit there." So I got up, climbed back up to where she was, we looked at each other and started to laugh.

All the way back home, we were laughing about this snake going back to his wife and kids and telling them about the near miss he had.

"Seriously hon, this entire cliff came down and on top of it was this HUMAN. She must have weighed 100 pounds or more and she missed me by THIS MUCH. I thought I was a goner."

Too funny...and such a close (!) call.

Bettie
July 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
thats so scary. Thats one reason I don't think Id like to travel to australia... too many snakes.

You've got to really watch out for the Great Aussie Trouser Snake. Some of those can be a bit tricky to handle....:hehehehe:

Raxeph
July 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
You've got to really watch out for the Great Aussie Trouser Snake. Some of those can be a bit tricky to handle....:hehehehe:

Oh I dunno, one solid kick can take them down fairly nicely, I've found. :smileroll

Now Drop Bears, they're a REAL menace. One day you're just minding your own business, camping under a tree, when WHAM! They're on ya'. :lol:

Bettie
July 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Oh I dunno, one solid kick can take them down fairly nicely, I've found. :smileroll

Now Drop Bears, they're a REAL menace. One day you're just minding your own business, camping under a tree, when WHAM! They're on ya'. :lol:

Shit yeah, snakes'd be the least of your worries if you ran into a Drop Bear. Nasty buggers.

scorpiochick77
July 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all of your replies.

Sarabeth- I would have prolly died of a heart attack if that were to have happened to me. Sounds like you're a very lucky lady to still be here!

Nitefall- I do have cats, six of them. As bad as I hate to say it these cats wouldn't have a chance with these rattlers I've seen around here. What I think I really need is to go catch a bunch of king snakes and let them all go roam the property because they kill other snakes!:thumbsup:

Mephi- The ONLY way I'll put a snake (especially a poisonous one) in a box to ship to you is after I shoot and kill it!:lol: I love you dearly, just not enough to catch a live snake for you....lol

Rudas Starblaze
July 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
i like snakes. i just caught a copperhead at work in the bathroom a couple weeks ago and took it home and let it go in my back yard. :toofless:

scorpiochick77
July 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
i like snakes. i just caught a copperhead at work in the bathroom a couple weeks ago and took it home and let it go in my back yard. :toofless:

Well you've have a field day here on this land I live on. It's waaaay out in the boonies and has snakes a plenty. not to mention all the other critters. Speaking of- the other night I heard something on the back porch and went out and there was a raccoon on the deck!:hehehehe:

Rudas Starblaze
July 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well you've have a field day here on this land I live on. It's waaaay out in the boonies and has snakes a plenty. not to mention all the other critters. Speaking of- the other night I heard something on the back porch and went out and there was a raccoon on the deck!:hehehehe:

did ye catch it and bring it in?
i used to catch all sorts of furry little woodsland creatures and bring em into the house when i still lived with my parents out at the farm. we had a pet deer in the house for about 2 months, we had a pet squirrel for a couple years, oh, and i caught a bat once and kept it in my bedroom! :weirdsmil )

scorpiochick77
July 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
did ye catch it and bring it in?
i used to catch all sorts of furry little woodsland creatures and bring em into the house when i still lived with my parents out at the farm. we had a pet deer in the house for about 2 months, we had a pet squirrel for a couple years, oh, and i caught a bat once and kept it in my bedroom! :weirdsmil )

LOL- When I opened the back door my chihuhuas went running out and yapping at it and it ran off in the woods.:hehehe:

About a month ago late one night (4 AM) I heard this loud screeching noise. Well when I went out there there was a bob cat sitting on the tree limb right above me on the other side of the deck. He was looking down at me and needless to say, I got my a$$ in the house quick like!8O This house I live in is literally surrounded by woods, especially the back yard.

Rudas Starblaze
July 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
LOL- When I opened the back door my chihuhuas went running out and yapping at it and it ran off in the woods.:hehehe:

About a month ago late one night (4 AM) I heard this loud screeching noise. Well when I went out there there was a bob cat sitting on the tree limb right above me on the other side of the deck. He was looking down at me and needless to say, I got my a$$ in the house quick like!8O This house I live in is literally surrounded by woods, especially the back yard.

i think ye need to invest in a tranq gun! just think of all the neat pets you could have!! :lol:

scorpiochick77
July 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
i think ye need to invest in a tranq gun! just think of all the neat pets you could have!! :lol:
I know, right? Well that's until they become 'un-tranquilized' I suppose. After that I may have a problem!:weirdsmil

Rudas Starblaze
July 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I know, right? Well that's until they become 'un-tranquilized' I suppose. After that I may have a problem!:weirdsmil

nah! just cuddle em and feed em, theyll learn to like ye! :thumbsup:
of course the few scratches and bites ye get here and there might hurt alot, but itll be well worth it!
just think of the reaction i woulda got from everyone if i coulda caught the mountain lion i was "hanging out with" one day while deer hunting a few years ago! (but we all know it woulda torn me to shreds if i tried..... he was HUGE! :bug: )

DreamSpell333
July 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I hate snakes too. Deathly afraid of them. I managed to hold a python before but thats about it.
When I was 5 or 6 my brother let me watch a movie where a HUGE python came out of a womans toilet and tryed attacking her. (her husband shot its head off :D)
and since then i've hated them.
Every now and then I will have dreams about them . A few weeks ago I dreamt we had rattlesnakes everywhere.
Thankfully NH isnt known to have any poisonous snakes (atleast I havent seen any)

I hope you find a solution. That would totally freak me out. I would pack the kids and I up and go stay with relatives or a friend until i could feel safe in my own home again. :hugz: to you

Old Witch
July 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
When Dax was alive he would bring me snakes in various stages of ill repair. One day while in the back yard he was bitten by a rattler, lucky we got him to the vets quickly.. And I've found Copperheads to be remarkably laid back snakes, Many, many, many, moons ago we had one that would hang out on the back porch. Summer two years ago we had a helluva time with black snakes coming into the house, but none since then...I see snakes all the time in the back yard, the real good pest eating kind...:thumbsup:

Terra Mater
July 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM
When I used to live in the Texas Hill Country, I used to scatter a mulch made from nettles, horseradish, and marigolds around the perimeter of our property. It was very effective at "marking my territory" against a variety of intruders including snakes.

Glowy
July 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
ok, OT but in topic with SC and Rudas

My family has a summer home in N. Wi

I have a beagle who is crippled and fat as a keg.

He always has to potty at crazy hours, there is no fence so I leash him and stand in the yard and sleep. 2:00am last year.. we are in the middle of the yard, I hear all sorts of noise in the bushes, and yipping... a my beagle lets his anal glands go ( from fear) and runs around me in a circle... I shine myflashlight and see 5 cyotes(sp)

I can't move, my dog is baying like crazy in fear and I am certain I am going to get eaten

Nobody hears me... so I HOP back to the cabin, up huge stairs and get inside.

The beagle will not ask to go out at night anymore:hehehehe:

Halstrom
July 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I hate snakes! They give me the creeps like no other!

Old Witch
July 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
We have coyotes in the county but none in the city yet, what we do have are alligators in the small lakes in the city near the river, I live 3 blocks from the Savannah river, deer roaming around and for goddess sake, armadillos!! People have been taking pictures of a bear in the general area, but on the Augusta side of the River...By the way, the wildlife people and the city say do not molest the alligators, armadillos and deer. And the GA DNR is saying stay the hell away from the bear, it's just passing through...Of course we have the odd resident 'coons and 'possums... We are wildlife central...

scorpiochick77
July 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
We have coyotes in the county but none in the city yet, what we do have are alligators in the small lakes in the city near the river, I live 3 blocks from the Savannah river, deer roaming around and for goddess sake, armadillos!! People have been taking pictures of a bear in the general area, but on the Augusta side of the River...By the way, the wildlife people and the city say do not molest the alligators, armadillos and deer. And the GA DNR is saying stay the hell away from the bear, it's just passing through...Of course we have the odd resident 'coons and 'possums... We are wildlife central...

Ahh I'm in Georgia so I know exactly what you're sayin! All these wild animals love it here in the south....:lol:

Xander67
July 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
lol,
My mother is so afraid of them that she hides her face if one comes on the tv.. Years ago, when her and my stepfather were living in Georgia, My mother had a friend that she used to talk to all the time on the CB at night.. Lady Night Owl I think her handle was.

One day she invited my mother to come over to her home to meet and have tea, etc... so I drove her over... ok,

we were sitting in this lady's living room for an hour, or so... my mother and I were having a great little chit chat.. then the lady got up and went to a fish tank and fed her gerbils..

My mother said, "oh they are cute" and her friend said , yeah, I breed them as food for Rosie. My mother said Rosie? lol

the lady said , yeah, my pet Boa in the fishtank beside you.... My mother turned WHITE as a ghost... looked and to her horror, was a beautiful Boa in the fishtank right beside her, where she had been sitting for the past hour or so... and had not even noticed it...

My mother FLEW out of the house and into the car.. I explained to the lady that my mother had a bad fear of snakes. The lady was quite understanding and told me that it was ok, then the lady came out to the car and Appologized to my mother for not having mentioning to her that she had a pet snake before she invited my mother over.

They still talk now and then still... I honestly feel bad for both of them.

Glowy
July 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
lol,
My mother is so afraid of them that she hides her face if one comes on the tv.. Years ago, when her and my stepfather were living in Georgia, My mother had a friend that she used to talk to all the time on the CB at night.. Lady Night Owl I think her handle was.

One day she invited my mother to come over to her home to meet and have tea, etc... so I drove her over... ok,

we were sitting in this lady's living room for an hour, or so... my mother and I were having a great little chit chat.. then the lady got up and went to a fish tank and fed her gerbils..

My mother said, "oh they are cute" and her friend said , yeah, I breed them as food for Rosie. My mother said Rosie? lol

the lady said , yeah, my pet Boa in the fishtank beside you.... My mother turned WHITE as a ghost... looked and to her horror, was a beautiful Boa in the fishtank right beside her, where she had been sitting for the past hour or so... and had not even noticed it...

My mother FLEW out of the house and into the car.. I explained to the lady that my mother had a bad fear of snakes. The lady was quite understanding and told me that it was ok, then the lady came out to the car and Appologized to my mother for not having mentioning to her that she had a pet snake before she invited my mother over.

They still talk now and then still... I honestly feel bad for both of them.

OMFG that is:lol:... your poor mom!! I so luv ya

ILOVEAUTUMNS
July 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking of moving out to Tucson, AZ, area,
are there a lot of rattle snakes or other poisonous snakes out there or not (especially in the neighborhoods) not out in the boonies???

Terra Mater, when you said the following " When I used to live in the Texas Hill Country, I used to scatter a mulch made from nettles, horseradish, and marigolds around the perimeter of our property. It was very effective at "marking my territory" against a variety of intruders including snakes."---

well how exactly did you do this, are there instructions you can tell us all to save us all from rattlers, etc.???

i agree with so many of you here just the thought of a snake sends shivers through me...rruaruaerhaewwwwwwwwww

scorpiochick77
July 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
are there a lot of rattle snakes or other poisonous snakes out there or not (especially in the neighborhoods) not out in the boonies???

Terra Mater, when you said the following " When I used to live in the Texas Hill Country, I used to scatter a mulch made from nettles, horseradish, and marigolds around the perimeter of our property. It was very effective at "marking my territory" against a variety of intruders including snakes."---

well how exactly did you do this, are there instructions you can tell us all to save us all from rattlers, etc.???

i agree with so many of you here just the thought of a snake sends shivers through me...rruaruaerhaewwwwwwwwww

I've heard that lemongrass will do the trick but I don't know how much or whatever. Supposedly snakes hate the smell of it!

It may seem cruel to some but I've also heard that golf balls or ping pong balls will kill them. Oh and then there's moth balls. I can't do this one because of all my animals here- it's like a zoo!:hehehehe:

ILOVEAUTUMNS
July 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I've heard that lemongrass will do the trick but I don't know how much or whatever. Supposedly snakes hate the smell of it!

It may seem cruel to some but I've also heard that golf balls or ping pong balls will kill them. Oh and then there's moth balls. I can't do this one because of all my animals here- it's like a zoo!:hehehehe:

Thanks Scorpiochick, I wrote this down so if I do move I have some protection :)

Does anyone know if Colorado or Montana also has poisonous snakes?

I want to move near the mountains some where, and I already have been and fell in love
with the Tucson area in Arizona (being a Taurus might have something to do with being so
drawn to the mountains as it is earth energy)

sarabethv
July 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM

You do know Tucson is in a valley right? And yes there are lots of snakes there - especially in the West area (which would be the small hilly area toward old Tucson. No more so than usual in town though.

ILOVEAUTUMNS
July 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
You do know Tucson is in a valley right? And yes there are lots of snakes there - especially in the West area (which would be the small hilly area toward old Tucson. No more so than usual in town though.

When I was there from March-May of 2007 I did not see one snake or scorpion or turantula like I had been warned and I stayed in Hereford, AZ.
Do they usually come out after May in the summer and early fall?????

and then usually do they go into hiding during late fall, winter, and most of spring?????

WickedBttrfly
July 19th, 2008, 08:32 PM
One of my first pets growing up was a ball python snake named Clyde. My dad actually took care of him, since I was too little. I just played with him all the time. We had him since he was a baby. He had his own wading pool and was often let loose around the house ( which my mother did NOT appreciate, btw). I would stick him all through my doll house windows and everything. 8O And you always had to be careful when sitting on the couch when he was loose, cause it was nothing to suddenly find him peeking out from the couch cushions, lol. But he never bit me. He was my buddy. :weirdsmil

So that being said, I never really had a chance to learn to be afraid of snakes. Even though I did learn to be wary, thanks to my grandmas evil green snake she kept as a pet.

When I lived in Tennessee, encountering snakes was normal. There are only 4 venomous species though. Copperheads and Cottonmouths (water moccasins) were kinda abundant, and rattlesnakes weren't uncommon. Thanks to Cottonmouths I earned another reason to be wary of creeks, rivers and lakes. :p

Copperheads are more likely to bite you than almost any other snake, I think. Most snakes are more likely to escape from you than attack. Usually when they attack it is because they feel cornered.

If you live in an area that is populated with snakes, just always watch where you step. Avoid potential snake hiding places such as rocks, underbrush, natural water sources, etc when possible.

Chaos Hawk
July 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
There are rattlers where I live too. One got quite irate with me when I tried to sweep it out of my garage. It kept striking my broom. Luckly it was just a baby one. There was a nest outside and for awhile there was babies everywhere.

I love snakes though. I have a Mexican King snake as a pet.

Personally, I prefer to deal with the snakes (even the rattlers) around here then the spiders. We have widows, recluses, wolfs...all kinds. The snakes at least don't crawl on you while you're sleeping or driving and inject you with venom :lol:

ILOVEAUTUMNS
July 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_con_wit_ven_sna_and_liz-mortality-contact-venomous-snakes-lizards

from this data only 12 deaths in the United States from snake bites?
Do they mean just for 2008 or what?????

This kind of puts the fear into perspective , 12 is a very low number

what are your thoughts?

sarabethv
July 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
When I was there from March-May of 2007 I did not see one snake or scorpion or turantula like I had been warned and I stayed in Hereford, AZ.
Do they usually come out after May in the summer and early fall?????

and then usually do they go into hiding during late fall, winter, and most of spring?????

No one actually stays in Hereford. :lol:

http://www.desertusa.com/may96/du_rattle.html

Here is a good website that gives you some basics. They are out in the summer, but you probably won't see them unless you invade their habitat or almost fall on them. They tend to be shy and if you carry a stick or walking stick with you and make plenty of noise (don't go all ninja) they will run away from you. They are even curteous enough to warn you if you are getting too close and they can't get away. Once you hear that sound, you will NEVER forget it. Hear it? Look and step away from the sound.

If you do happen to fall or step on one, and get bit.
DO NOT get all fancy and cut yourself or try to suck the venom out, because then the hospital will have not only a snake bite but a dirty wound to take care of.
DO NOT put ice on it.
DO NOT put a tourniquet on it.
DO NOT panic (seriously, worse thing you can do)
Just immobilize it, keep it below heart level, remove jewelry and constricting clothing and get to the damned hospital.
It would help if you call them ahead of time so they have anti venom handy.

As for scorpions - if you want to see them, buy a black light and turn out the lights - those little suckers are everywhere. They particularly like piles of clothing on the floor, dark places, under stuff and for some strange reason, ceilings.

The bark scorpion (of course the one we have) is the most dangerous; however, not to worry unless you are ill, old, or a baby. Anyone over the age of 5 and under the age of 80 (except for immune disorders etc. ) will be fine - although the sting will hurt like hell.

There is an anti-venom, but most hospitals don't carry it because you can ONLY have the anti-venom ONCE in a life time - plus it really isn't necessary.

When you get stung, it is like; "ow, .......ow..........OOOOWWWWW DAMMIT!" Clean the site, put ice on it, and take advil.

Hospital won't even treat you unless you are one of above groups or allergic to the darned things.

It will hurt for a few days.

Tarantulas are shy. You won't see one if it sees you first. If you do see one - don't worry - it ain't gonna hurt you. The worst you will most likely get is a slight rash from its tiny little hairs. You can use tape to get those little suckers off your skin.

Now, they do bite, but you would really have to rile the little guy up for that, and it will hurt. Wash the bite, take some advil.

Gila Monsters, are really cute and very very poisonous. You will probably never see one. They are really shy and will run from you. If you do see one, leave it alone. If you fall on it and it bites you, you will have to pry its mouth open to get it to let go.
Clean the wound
Ice it
Go to hospital to make sure its teeth didn't break off in you.

Coral snakes are more venomous than rattlesnakes, and we have them here too. It will most likely run away from you.

You can tell the difference between those and the non venemous king snake because the white band is on either side of the black band; however, my best advice is if you see a snake with red, black and white stripes ----- go the other way, because by the time you remember the rhyme (which I can never remember) you could be bitten. If you are: same stuff as the rattlesnake.

One thing they SAY we don't have here is the fiddleback spider, or brown recluse. I beg to differ. Get bit? clean it - go to hospital. It will kill tissue and you will have a dip in your muscle from it but you won't die.

Here in Arizona, especially the desert parts, everything will either bite, sting, or stick you. Those of us who live here are pretty damned tough, cause if the heat don't get you the snakes or bugs will.

Have I scared you away yet? :lol:
P.S. a good web site for AZ is About.com (phoenix or tucson)

PandoraHealer
July 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
rattlers do NOT make good pets.

Check with the experts in your area - there may be a reason you got so many, and something you can do to scare them away (other than importing a mongoose).

People that own rattlers and are responsible- DON'T consider them pets. I have worked with venomous species-- they aren't pets and shouldn't ever be considered pets.

venemoids are not fun.

I think you have your terms mixed up a bit here. "Venomoides" refers to a venomous species of snake, that has had its venom glands removed- and while it is still a copperhead/rattler-- it isn't venomous.... and therefor can't kill you with venom.

I'm not sure if you meant to use this term or..... ?

I hate snakes too. Deathly afraid of them. I managed to hold a python before but thats about it.
When I was 5 or 6 my brother let me watch a movie where a HUGE python came out of a womans toilet and tryed attacking her. (her husband shot its head off :D)
and since then i've hated them.
Every now and then I will have dreams about them . A few weeks ago I dreamt we had rattlesnakes everywhere.
Thankfully NH isnt known to have any poisonous snakes (atleast I havent seen any)

Wow.... haven't heard that one in a while... "Giant" pythons don't fit through toilets.... have you seen how TINY that pipe is? NNNNOOOOTTTT possible dude. and... generally... snakes don't 'attack' people. They would MUCH rather run than fight a loosing battle....

I hate snakes! They give me the creeps like no other!
Have you researched them? tried to learn about them? tried to be with one? tried touching one? tried holding one? .... you'd be suprized at the sheer number of people that come to my booth, and squeel, screech, scream, and everything else-- I can talk them into touching them, and slowly they get more comfortable and will hold the snake-- then they're hooked. really, you might just try them-- give them a chance-- you might suprize even yourself.

erm.... I'm the one that said lemon grass would repel them last year-- look it up! google. I don't know where you live-- but if lemongrass will actually grow there-- plant it. If it won't grow- you can get pounds of it from nearly any online metaphysical shop-- I got 1/2 pound for about 3$
Use it basically like hay-- spread it around your dogs pens, around your house, etc--- might need to do it once a month or so...

As for pingpong or golf balls.... wtf... I have NEVER heard that... are they supposed to eat the balls and die?-- snakes aren't dumb-- a ping pong ball doesn't have a heat signature-- its not warm blooded -- a snake isnt going to see that as food- hell it won't really even see it...

Have you looked for a rescue/removal service? -- If you PM me your city/state-- I WILL LOOK ONE UP FOR YOU.

oy, vey.... *frustration*

~PH

scorpiochick77
July 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
People that own rattlers and are responsible- DON'T consider them pets. I have worked with venomous species-- they aren't pets and shouldn't ever be considered pets.

I think you have your terms mixed up a bit here. "Venomoides" refers to a venomous species of snake, that has had its venom glands removed- and while it is still a copperhead/rattler-- it isn't venomous.... and therefor can't kill you with venom.

I'm not sure if you meant to use this term or..... ?

Wow.... haven't heard that one in a while... "Giant" pythons don't fit through toilets.... have you seen how TINY that pipe is? NNNNOOOOTTTT possible dude. and... generally... snakes don't 'attack' people. They would MUCH rather run than fight a loosing battle....

Have you researched them? tried to learn about them? tried to be with one? tried touching one? tried holding one? .... you'd be suprized at the sheer number of people that come to my booth, and squeel, screech, scream, and everything else-- I can talk them into touching them, and slowly they get more comfortable and will hold the snake-- then they're hooked. really, you might just try them-- give them a chance-- you might suprize even yourself.

erm.... I'm the one that said lemon grass would repel them last year-- look it up! google. I don't know where you live-- but if lemongrass will actually grow there-- plant it. If it won't grow- you can get pounds of it from nearly any online metaphysical shop-- I got 1/2 pound for about 3$
Use it basically like hay-- spread it around your dogs pens, around your house, etc--- might need to do it once a month or so...

As for pingpong or golf balls.... wtf... I have NEVER heard that... are they supposed to eat the balls and die?-- snakes aren't dumb-- a ping pong ball doesn't have a heat signature-- its not warm blooded -- a snake isnt going to see that as food- hell it won't really even see it...

Have you looked for a rescue/removal service? -- If you PM me your city/state-- I WILL LOOK ONE UP FOR YOU.

oy, vey.... *frustration*

~PH
As far as the ping pong/ golf ball thing goes- it was somebody here that was having problems with snakes getting in their chickens' coop and eating the eggs and some chickens were bitten and killed a couple of times. This person said they saw a chicken snake (don't know if this is what everyone calls this particular snake or just a southern term) and also a rattler another time. Anyway they put the pingpong balls in the chickens nest and now their problems are solved...haven't had any problems since. From what I understand this was an ongoing problem but I dunno. Hell it may just be a coincidence- I was merely stating what I had heard from someone else!:thumbsup:

ILOVEAUTUMNS
July 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
No one actually stays in Hereford. :lol:

http://www.desertusa.com/may96/du_rattle.html

sarabethv,

what do you mean no one stays in hereford, my ex bf lives there, of course after the way
he treated me he really is a no one.......

as far as how the scorpions are everywhere , how come i didn't see even one when i was there?????? i left in mid may, do they come out after this???????

thanks for the advice on how to deal with bites if they occur, this is advice that can save my life one day so thanks *hugs*

-----------------

for the lemon grass, does that keep scorpions , etc. away too???????
-----

there is something called

Riddex Plus that you plug in the wall to keep bugs and mice away

www.riddexplus.com

what do you'll think of this product? :)

sarabethv
July 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
sarabethv,

what do you mean no one stays in hereford, my ex bf lives there, of course after the way
he treated me he really is a no one.......

as far as how the scorpions are everywhere , how come i didn't see even one when i was there?????? i left in mid may, do they come out after this???????

thanks for the advice on how to deal with bites if they occur, this is advice that can save my life one day so thanks *hugs*

-----------------

for the lemon grass, does that keep scorpions , etc. away too???????
-----

there is something called

Riddex Plus that you plug in the wall to keep bugs and mice away

www.riddexplus.com

what do you'll think of this product? :)

You won't see them often. They are fairly light colored and easy to miss.

I don't know on the lemon grass - never tried it.

Riddex? Again don't know, I don't tend to use pesticides due to cats, dogs and kids. :)

scorpiochick77
July 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
WTF!! I was just sitting outside in the swing when I noticed one of my cats about ten feet from me acting strange. She was all bowed up pawing at something and kept jumping back. Well I went over and there was a baby timber rattler coiled up striking at her. OMG I panicked because she wouldn't back off. I ran over, found a stick and threw it at the cat and then she ran off and then the snake started heading towards me! I say it was a baby but wasn't really THAT small. It was about one inch big around and maybe twenty inches long. Oh and the snake was heading toward my house so I had to think quick. Luckily for me, there was a shovel propped up beside the house and I put it to use!! One down....alot more snakeys to go!:thumbsup:

Glowy
July 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
WTF!! I was just sitting outside in the swing when I noticed one of my cats about ten feet from me acting strange. She was all bowed up pawing at something and kept jumping back. Well I went over and there was a baby timber rattler coiled up striking at her. OMG I panicked because she wouldn't back off. I ran over, found a stick and threw it at the cat and then she ran off and then the snake started heading towards me! I say it was a baby but wasn't really THAT small. It was about one inch big around and maybe twenty inches long. Oh and the snake was heading toward my house so I had to think quick. Luckily for me, there was a shovel propped up beside the house and I put it to use!! One down....alot more snakeys to go!:thumbsup:

So.. you are the new St Patrick? gonna drive the snakes out of GA?:lol:

Cat
July 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I just wanted to say--EEEK!

I love snakes--in the zoo. In the house and right nearby, not at all.