PDA

View Full Version : Omg!!!!!!!!

bellamandu
July 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
i wasnt paying attention and keira decided to get the staple remover and "pretend" to pierce the dogs ears!!

all i heard was a loud YELP!!!!!! and turned around to see keira holding the staple remover and blood dripping down the dogs ears...

there are no animal emergency rooms and all the vets in the area are closed cuz its almost 9pm here.

WHAT DO I DO???

SilverClaw
July 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
I would treat it as it were a human cut or injury. Make sure it is clean out and stop the bleeding. And then get to the vet asap in the morning if there is no where else to go. Do you have a first Aid kit with gause or anything like that?

bellamandu
July 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
I would treat it as it were a human cut or injury. Make sure it is clean out and stop the bleeding. And then get to the vet asap in the morning if there is no where else to go. Do you have a first Aid kit with gause or anything like that?

i tried wrapping it but nothing i can find in the house will stick to the fur

GEBS
July 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
mol says put an earring in it. :D

Poor little doggy. I hope he (or she) is ok.

PandoraHealer
July 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
er.... kid spankings lol...

remove the staple.

Ears BLEEED a lot!!! Don't freak out-- the dog won't bleed to death or anything like that. Once the staple is out-- use gause or kleenex and just wipe the blood off his ear. It will take a while (hour or 2) for the bleeding to stop.

~Ph

Agaliha
July 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Put pressure on it to stop the bleeding.
Once it's stopped, try to clean it and if possible, bandage it. Then take her (?) to the vet ASAP. It could get infected among other things.

How bad is the wound, can you tell? Stapler removers have sharp teeth like things-- did it cause two punctures only, or did the dog move, causing it to tear?

WolfPup522
July 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
You could also try putting ice on it if the dog will let you. It might help with the bleeding and/or pain. This is just my instinct talking, so feel free to take alternative suggestions!

Caitlin.ann
July 21st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Assuming the bleeding has stopped by now, make sure that the wound won't become infected. I'm not sure what kind of product is safe for dog ears but I assume peroxide is safe if you dab it with a q-tip.

Sequoia
July 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Use something like alcohol or witch hazel (in an alcohol solution) on a cotton ball / paper towel / washcloth / etc. to clean it with. Make sure you REALLY clean it well. Then, so long as the dog can't reach her ear to lick it, apply antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) to it. Let it air - don't try to wrap it so long as it's not bleeding like crazy.

If you can, get her to a vet. But they're going to do exactly what I told you to do - I only know this because I've had some pretty catastrophic-seeming accidents with pets, and the vet assistant told me to do exactly what I told you. (Well, except for the alcohol part, considering this involved an animal's eyelid... long story.)

If you've cleaned it well and applied an antibiotic ointment, you can safely watch it for a day or two to see if it becomes red or swells or becomes hot to the touch... or if your dog runs a fever. If ANY of those things appear, VET TIME!

All of this is assuming that these are small puncture wounds. If your dog has a torn ear, clean and antibiotic her, but get her to a vet ASAP for sutures.

And I hope your kid got the bejeezus scared out of her and never does it again! (Hopefully a screaming, bleeding dog will "scar" her enough that she thinks twice before attempting such a thing again!)

Tanya
July 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
never apply ice directly to skin. it can cause frost bite.

wrap it in a damp towel.

SilverClaw
July 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
i tried wrapping it but nothing i can find in the house will stick to the fur I guess gently tying it would not help either... and what I mean is have a piece of gause over the injured part and cut strips to use as ties.

in any case I do hope that your pet is ok now :hugz:

er.... kid spankings lol...

remove the staple.

Ears BLEEED a lot!!! Don't freak out-- the dog won't bleed to death or anything like that. Once the staple is out-- use gause or kleenex and just wipe the blood off his ear. It will take a while (hour or 2) for the bleeding to stop.

~Ph
Sorry just wanted to clarify something I thought it was just a staple remover the child used.

i wasnt paying attention and keira decided to get the staple remover and "pretend" to pierce the dogs ears!!

bellamandu
July 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
thanks for the help. i finally calmed down and got the bleeding to stop. she wouldnt let me touch her ear for a while but i finally did and upon further inspection there is no puncture, luckily, it just grazed the skin.

phew!

HetHert
July 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
How did the triage go? Did you put an earing in it?:hehehehe:

Depending on the puncture size sutures may not be necessary and neither should a vet visit. IMO if the size of the wound is an 1/8 of an inch or less I'd save myself the $$ of a vet visit and keep the wound clean and apply a layer of antibiotic ointment a couple times a day until it heals up. If it starts to look like its infecting over the next couple days then I'd get to the vet.

Good luck to the dog and you know gold/silver hoops can look good.

bellamandu
July 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
How did the triage go? Did you put an earing in it?:hehehehe:

Depending on the puncture size sutures may not be necessary and neither should a vet visit. IMO if the size of the wound is an 1/8 of an inch or less I'd save myself the $$ of a vet visit and keep the wound clean and apply a layer of antibiotic ointment a couple times a day until it heals up. If it starts to look like its infecting over the next couple days then I'd get to the vet.

Good luck to the dog and you know gold/silver hoops can look good.

like i said, no puncture wound, she just scraped off the stop layer of skin so im assumming the dog jerked away before it was able to go all the way throough.

needless to say, i put some neosporin on it last night and it seems to have scabbed over. unfortunately, the dog is still a little jerky around keira, but hey, it doesnt surprise me.

WolfPup522
July 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
never apply ice directly to skin. it can cause frost bite.

wrap it in a damp towel.

Yeah, that seems like common sense to me so I didn't think to add that (although I can completely understand not knowing that now that I've thought about it).

So glad the dog is ok!

HetHert
July 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Awesome! Yeah I think I started typing before I saw your response. I'm a little ADD in the mornings.

Glad everything went well.

RubyRose
July 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Aww, poor puppy, glad she's doing okay now though.

DreamSpell333
July 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Glad the dog is doing better and that it was only a scrape.

:hugz:

SilverClaw
July 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM
thanks for the help. i finally calmed down and got the bleeding to stop. she wouldnt let me touch her ear for a while but i finally did and upon further inspection there is no puncture, luckily, it just grazed the skin.

phew!
Glad to hear that it was not more serious. :hugz:

Sequoia
July 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I, too, am glad to hear that it's not too serious.

Did your little girl learn her lesson? 8O

Glowy
July 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I, too, am glad to hear that it's not too serious.

Did your little girl learn her lesson? 8O
Agreed.... the dog, no matter how sweet.. may be cautious of her now.