PDA

View Full Version : Catholic wafer is stolen considered hate crime?

Fluoxetine
July 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Yup. Someone stole a cracker and ended up getting death threats from the Diocese and all catholics. So someone "stole" to body of Christ in a form of a wafer and was nearly beaten up for it, had death threats emailed to him. All this for one cracker....:lol:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/07/its_a_goddamned_cracker.php

Makes you wonder what they think of when they are demanding back something that is really some rice squashed thinly.

Darakash
July 23rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
OK, now certainly, presented in the way it was in the news story that sounds absolutely absurd. Yes, it abounds with the sillyness...(is that a word? no probably not)...but hrrm...if I had my altar set up for instance with some offerings like apple slices or bread or water or honey or whatever and someone came along and put some in his mouth or hand or any other open receptacle and walked away and didn't do honor to the recipient of the offering...I might be pissed...now certainly I wouldnt threaten to kill said pilferer or any other sort of bodily harm, but I would be pissed nonetheless.....

Nox_Mortus
July 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
you have to remember that Catholics consider that the literal flesh of Christ after it has been blessed and whatnot, and in some places that it taken very very seriously. Saying that it's just a cracker is entirely missing the point. Still I think death threats are pretty extreme, same with calling it a hate crime (I think hate crime legislation and whatnot is bullshit anyway)

TygerTyger
July 23rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
In the wise words of Monty Python Esq., "Bloody Catholics!"

The mortal sin is not in failing to respect the Eucharist, it is breaking the chief tenets of a religion supposedly based upon love and forgiveness; all of which appear to be missing from the consideration of those claiming to be offended!

It was a cracker. It might represent something else to those attending the ceremony but its' symbolic representation in no way alters its' physical attributes. Even if it were a spiritual representation of the body of Christ I think that the behaviour demonstrated by members of this community goes against everything that Jesus Christ stood for, you know, lover and forgiveness!

So much hate is perpetuated in the name of a man who fought against hate!

LostSheep
July 23rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Sorry, but it does sound as if the writer has a very big axe to grind, doesn't it.
Petty and stupid. Hateful and stupid. Just plain stupid. And nothing makes them stupider than religion.

And every single catholic in the world is calling for the culprit's torture and execution?

Nox_Mortus
July 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
It was a cracker. It might represent something else to those attending the ceremony but its' symbolic representation in no way alters its' physical attributes. Even if it were a spiritual representation of the body of Christ I think that the behaviour demonstrated by members of this community goes against everything that Jesus Christ stood for, you know, lover and forgiveness!

Well according to Catholic doctrine, it is a physical representation of the body of Christ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsubstantiation, that's why it pisses people off so much, I can't say I wouldn't be extremely pissed myself if I where Catholic, but I think they are going too far.

TygerTyger
July 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Well according to Catholic doctrine, it is a physical representation of the body of Christ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsubstantiation, that's why it pisses people off so much, I can't say I wouldn't be extremely pissed myself if I where Catholic, but I think they are going too far.

The key word there being representation!

The cracker retains the physical attributes of a cracker irrespective of how it is represented.

None of which qualifies people who are supposed to follow the main Christian tenets of love and forgiveness from reacting in such an un-christian manner.

To err is human, to forgive divine.

As the Pope said!

(Alexander that is!)

Infinite Grey
July 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM

I thought they dropped the miracle of communion about the same time as they dropped the Latin services.

Nox_Mortus
July 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I thought they dropped the miracle of communion about the same time as they dropped the Latin services.

I don't think so, I ment to catholic grade school for a month and I had to learn about transubstantiation in catholic indoctrination class.

Shawn Blackwolf
July 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
There is a "missing link"...

Says "page not found"...Vatican get to the link ?

I am a born again Pagan , raised Catholic...

( Love those girls in short plaid skirts )

I have no problem with someone having a snack...

So what happened , anyway ?

Garm
July 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
To be fair, there might be other reasons why they take this matter as seriously as they do

http://www.saint-mike.org/apologetics/qa/Answers/Spiritual_Warfare/s0401130002.html

TygerTyger
July 24th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Interesting, but again, it does not justify why the central themse of love and forgiveness are abandoned so quickly for hate and retribution.

Infinite Grey
July 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I don't think so, I ment to catholic grade school for a month and I had to learn about transubstantiation in catholic indoctrination class.

I did a six year sentence as a Catholic Highscool... they referred to transubstantiation as metaphoric, not literal.

Sesen
July 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I gotta side with the catholics on this one..If someone stole my Jesus cracker I know I would be pissed...You can't just be walking around with the body of christ in your pocket..you'll get lint all over it...then later on your gonna say, man I think I'll have me some flesh o' christ and down this bottle of jesus juice before I go dance naked on the neighbors lawn........and guess what....Theres lint all over the lords body...way to go guy.....way to go...you can't eat that...it's got lint on it....It's gonna taste funny.......Whats wrong with people?...

aluokaloo
July 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
saw this awhile back on another thread. totally ridiculous. it was gonna go with him anyways. besides how can you steal what has been freely given to you?

Silverfire Darkmoon
July 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Pharyngula is an atheist blog. As the writer is an atheist, and on the Internet, it clearly follows that s/he is an Angry Internet Atheist.

Seriously though, of course there's an insane amount of exaggeration on the writer's part, because he has an axe to grind.

In reading about this elsewhere, I read that four people sent this dingus death threats. Considering that Catholicism is arguably the largest religious group in the world, that's a very small drop in a very large bucket.

The man stole the Body of Christ. I'm not a Catholic, but hell, I recognize his for-want-of-a-better-word 'crime'. He was not a Catholic and as such shouldn't have gone to take Communion anyway, and after doing so when he ought not have, he took the Host home to show to his friends. That's why he did it - to show his friends a cracker.

Of course, now everyone's screaming that the Catholic Church sent this idiot death threats, moreso on the Angry Internet Atheist circuit.

God, I hate Angry Internet Atheists. I'm surprised they can find the time to be angry, you know, what with all the time spent fellating Richard Dawkins and all.

Aoibheal
July 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Dude must have been really, really hungry or had some really strange munchies to be fiending that bad for some body o' christ.

Theres lint all over the lords body

That made me laugh so hard!

Whitewolf
July 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I gotta side with the catholics on this one..If someone stole my Jesus cracker I know I would be pissed...You can't just be walking around with the body of christ in your pocket..you'll get lint all over it...then later on your gonna say, man I think I'll have me some flesh o' christ and down this bottle of jesus juice before I go dance naked on the neighbors lawn........and guess what....Theres lint all over the lords body...way to go guy.....way to go...you can't eat that...it's got lint on it....It's gonna taste funny.......Whats wrong with people?...
:lol: