PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 4: Nothing Will Ever Be Epic Again

Prende
July 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I just finished MGS4.

Words cannot describe how amazing it was....

The closest I can come to is this: I cried. It was a transcendent experience. It left me in a state of awe, and now I'm nothing but a void. I was a witness to something amazing. Something EPIC. And now it's over.

And no, nothing will ever be epic again.

The entire game was amazing. The graphics were stunning - I've never played anything else on PS3 before, or even seen other games being played ON it. I'm so glad this was my first exposure. And of course, the gameplay itself was awesome.

There were so many MOMENTS. You know, those parts where you're like, "This is the best part!" "No, THIS is the best part!" "No, wait!" and moments that made me laugh...several that made me misty eyed and by the end of it all, as the credits rolled, I sat there in tears.

I played through the series again before starting this one, which was a really good decision...not only did it really get me in the mood, but all of the things that happened in MGS4 that related to the previous games was made even better by the fact that I could remember them clearly.

The story happens to be my favourite part...story probably should be your favourite part if you're a MGS fan anyway, but specially for playing MGS4, which brings everything full circle and ties together all of the games in an amazing package....

As far as the story goes, the weakest part of that was the dialogue, I think. Raiden delivers the most emo line EVER, but given his state of mind, and the awesome response it prompted, I let it slide. But I'm still laughing over it.

But there were only like, five minutes in over twenty two hours of gameplay where I was jarred somehow. Most of them were Otacon's emotional reactions. But that might just be me being cruel and insensitive to other people's sadness.

To me though, the best part was the ending. The game was already amazing before the last fight. The game was already amazing before the epilogue. The game was already amazing before the voice credits rolled.

But what happened after that...and all of those things together...just took it to a new level.

MGS4 is what the series has been building up to. This is where it's all been going. It's been a long wait. It was worth it.

I probably should have waited longer to make this post, so I could get some sleep and come down off the high, and the crash, so that I could make this more coherent. But I have to capture this feeling!

Has anyone else played this? Experienced the LEGEND? Spent $500 on a PS3 and this game JUST to play this? (If you haven't, don't worry, it's worth it.)

TygerTyger
July 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
Wow!

That was quite prosaic for a game review.

I've never played MGS but if the latest installment is that good I might give it a try!

:thumbsup:

HetHert
July 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
My husband's mistress is Metal Gear 4. I always croon to him when he's playing...."Snaaaaaake its a snaaaaaaaake."" Oh Snnaaaaaaaake."

He's going back through the game trying to play it in different ways. Minimizing kills, or killings everything. He hasn't gotten online with it yet. I fear that day.

:hehehehe:

ETA: we just got our PS3 a month ago and hubby started right in on MGS4. I started Folklore. I'm a slower game player than he is.

Shameless PS3 plug: You can play some PS/PS2 games on it. I'm playing NO2 currently and loving it!!!

TygerTyger
July 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
My wife can't play anything but arcade games on our PS2!

Prende
July 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
After dying about fifty thousand times, all weekend, in several different MGS games, the words "Snake? Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAKE!!" are something that I've now found MYSELF saying, just at random moments in the day.

I'm so glad PS3 plays older games though, because even though it's worth what I paid for it JUST for MGS4, even if I never play it again (but I'm totally starting back in on it tonight), I don't really know about a lot of other PS3 titles, and I don't really care for the ones I do know.

I'm still kind of in awe of it. My brother and I both described it the same way, even though we didn't talk to each other afterward. We called it something we "witnessed". And talked about the awe and epicness and the void it has left behind....

I know I sound like I'm describing something spiritual. But it just FELT that way....*tears up a little*

I'm off to watch my favourite cutscenes on Youtube.

CoolJ
July 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I just picked up my copy of MGS4 a few days ago, though I haven't had time to sit down with the story mode... I've fooled around a little in the virtual range and online... The graphics are very impressive, of course, but I'm equally impressed with how well the game handles and plays. I can't wait to get into the story mode!

CoolJ
July 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I just sampled some of the story today - WOW. Just, wow.

Prende
July 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I just sampled some of the story today - WOW. Just, wow.

Honestly, I don't even remember the gameplay, because everything that stands out for me is the story (a lot of people had a problem with that, but I figure, if you're not use to the long cut scenes by now, you're just never going to "get it"), especially with regards to things from the other games being resolved.

I keep watching the cut scenes on Youtube, and reliving it all over again. I can't wait until I'm done playing through MGS2 and 3 again so I can head back in on Guns of the Patriots again.

(I'm giddy just thinking about it...)

CoolJ
July 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Honestly, I don't even remember the gameplay, because everything that stands out for me is the story (a lot of people had a problem with that, but I figure, if you're not use to the long cut scenes by now, you're just never going to "get it"), especially with regards to things from the other games being resolved.

I keep watching the cut scenes on Youtube, and reliving it all over again. I can't wait until I'm done playing through MGS2 and 3 again so I can head back in on Guns of the Patriots again.

(I'm giddy just thinking about it...)

Yes, the story is what makes this more of an "experience" than a game... but what I mean is just how well it ties into the gameplay. I have no problem with the beautiful cut scenes, but what impresses me is the way you jump right into the game seamlessly between each scene, you really feel like you're in it.

Prende
July 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Yes, the story is what makes this more of an "experience" than a game... but what I mean is just how well it ties into the gameplay. I have no problem with the beautiful cut scenes, but what impresses me is the way you jump right into the game seamlessly between each scene, you really feel like you're in it.

You're so right! I loved that too. I'm totally confused by people who complain about how you'll be doing something, and then it'll go into a scene and come right back out and you keep going. I'm like, "But...isn't that COOL?"

But I guess it all depends on if you see the scenes as getting in the way of playing, or if you view them as an integral part of the experience of playing.

MGS has always been a pretty story driven game. I find it hard to believe that there are people who have been playing the series longer than I have who played MGS4 and said, "WHY SO MANY CUT SCENES?" I would have given up by MGS2 if I couldn't get over that...

CoolJ
July 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM
You're so right! I loved that too. I'm totally confused by people who complain about how you'll be doing something, and then it'll go into a scene and come right back out and you keep going. I'm like, "But...isn't that COOL?"

But I guess it all depends on if you see the scenes as getting in the way of playing, or if you view them as an integral part of the experience of playing.

MGS has always been a pretty story driven game. I find it hard to believe that there are people who have been playing the series longer than I have who played MGS4 and said, "WHY SO MANY CUT SCENES?" I would have given up by MGS2 if I couldn't get over that...

Seriously.

And it sure beats the long periods of staring at those pale-green codec faces in the first game...

Prende
July 25th, 2008, 10:33 PM
And it sure beats the long periods of staring at those pale-green codec faces in the first game...

Hear hear! Seriously though, I've been playing through MGS2 (up until my PS3 was like, "DO NOT WANT.") and it's amazing just how much better everything's gotten.

I've been having dreams about MGS4 ever since I finished it. My brother is so proud of me. :lol:

CoolJ
July 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hear hear! Seriously though, I've been playing through MGS2 (up until my PS3 was like, "DO NOT WANT.") and it's amazing just how much better everything's gotten.

I've been having dreams about MGS4 ever since I finished it. My brother is so proud of me. :lol:

:lol: I also played through MGS2 on my PS3 before getting 4. I've never played the third one though _inabox_

Prende
July 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Oh, you've gotta play the third one! I really liked the second one, but up until MGS3, the first Metal Gear Solid was my favourite. then I played MGS3 and got eaten up.

Of course, this could be because I loved seeing the younger Ocelot. (He's my favourite character in the series...well, he was before I played MGS4 and fell in love with Johnny!)

Unfortunately, I didn't get enough time to enjoy it on its own, because I played it for the first time right before I got the fourth one....but still, it's pretty good...And "Snake Eater" is officially my favourite MGS song ever.

CoolJ
July 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've always meant to! I'm sure I could get it pretty dirt cheap now

Prende
July 27th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I got mine from GameStop for $10 I was so happy they had it. I'd already been in there earlier that day to buy the PS3/MGS4 bundle. And then I came back for a copy of MGS2 (I hadn't played it since it had come out). And then MGS3.

Ha, I felt like I was in some weird time loop. (I can only imagine what the workers thought...seeing as the same ones were in there each time...)

CoolJ
July 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
:lol: I'll have to check the ones around here!

I've been playing this mainly online since I don't have enough spare to fully enjoy the story... I'm Foofles on it, though.

As far as I'm concerned, the multiplayer is just gravy... but it's so good! It could've been something just tacked on, but it really plays better than most multiplayer shooters out there. There's just nothing wrong with MGS4 :lol:.

Prende
July 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I haven't tried the online part yet myself. I don't even know how it works....

Actually, I didn't even notice it at first and my brother had to point it out to me. I don't know if he's tried it or not though..

CoolJ
July 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
:lol: Well, it has barely anything to do with the storyline... unless you're into multiplayer shooter games, you won't get much out of it.

There are a few stealth-based gameplay modes including one where you play as Snake with the octocamo, those are more unique to this.

It's pretty fun, but I just consider it a bonus.

CoolJ
July 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM
This game is amazing.

I'm also loving Johnny now more than ever :lol: