PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

TygerTyger
July 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Quite a lot apparently, especially when you have parents this selfish:

A judge in New Zealand made a young girl a ward of court so that she could change the name she hated - Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. Judge Rob Murfitt said that the name embarrassed the nine-year-old and could expose her to teasing.

Read it all: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

And I thought having 'Charles' for a middle name was embarressing!

:boing:

Lessarey
July 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
and i thought my name was bad, but then i went to HS with a girl named Sunny Winters. her parents thought it would be cute, she hated it.

Raxeph
July 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
That actually reminds me of a random person in the video game Baldurs Gate (1 or 2, I forget which), and their greeting went something like...

"Hi, my name's Maple Willow Aspen!... YES MY PARENTS LIKED TREES! :("

Faeawyn
July 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
They blocked Cinderella Beauty Blossom, but they allowed "Number 16 Bus Shelter"?? :wtf:
What is wrong with these parents....???? One of those parents named their twins after cigarettes...WTF??

Jezibaba
July 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Ahem. Sex Fruit? Disturbing....:2G:

BlackLili
July 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I knew a pair of brothers named Hunter Green and Wynter Green. You didn't really think about it until you sat down and saw their names together (at least I didn't - we were all introduced separately.)

They didn't seem to mind, but they were odd ducks anyway...

Cloaked Raven
July 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Sometimes you have to wonder what goes through parents' minds when they name their children.

Apple? Who names their child Apple? That poor girl!

Nitefalle
July 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
These people are acting like they're naming their pets, not their CHILDREN who will have to go through life being called this ****ing ridiculous name. Why are these people allowed to breed??

Jezibaba
July 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I remember watching a show years ago on VH1 that said some celebrity named their kid Pilot Inspektor. I'm still laughing.

Shawn Blackwolf
July 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
One of my friends was Shalom Compost...

Yah shoulda been on communes with me in the 70's...:uhhuhuh:...:lol:...:thumbsup:

TygerTyger
July 25th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Some names are just unfortunate, such as Rosie Fields or Paul Smelt (people I've known) but to actually call you children by these ridiculous names?

There should be a rule under child protection laws to stop this idiocy from happening - because kids need protection from idiot parents!

I wanted to name my son Oliver Stanley after my two favourite comedy film stars but my wife thought that he would get teased for it - what does she know eh?!

Clair de la Lune
July 25th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I have heard of a girl being named Vagina, but it was pronounced Va-jee-na. I have also heard of girl twins with the last name of Pigg. Their names were Ima and Ura Pigg. What were ANY of these parents thinking? I have also heard of a girl being named Placenta. WHY?:giggle:

Bettie
July 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM
A friend of mine recently became an auntie, when her brother and sister-in-law had a baby boy. They named him Jack.

Not so bad, really - except their last name is Mycock...

TygerTyger
July 25th, 2008, 05:10 AM
a Friend Of Mine Recently Became An Auntie, When Her Brother And Sister-in-law Had A Baby Boy. They Named Him Jack.

Not So Bad, Really - Except Their Last Name Is Mycock...

lol!

LostSheep
July 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
most of my relatives just have numbers. Saves a lot of bother.

la tortuga
July 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
most of my relatives just have numbers. Saves a lot of bother.

:P

When my mother worked in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, she once came upon a little girl named "Female" pronounced "fe-mah-lay"

The poor mother didn't speak any English and, having received her baby girl for the very first time, read her little ankle bracelet which read "Female LASTNAME" and thought that her baby had been named for her already. :(

She also knew of a girl named "ABCDE" pronounced "ab-sa-dee". Poor child.

I thought MY name was ridiculous because no one could ever spell it. "Caitlin Elizabeth Colbert" I was always made fun of in school because:
1. I have the same initials as Chuck. E. Cheese
2. My last name, being quite French and leaving the T off at the end with the pronunciation, sounds a bit like "cold beer" or "cold bear" and I was often called horrible things like "klondike bar" because of the polar bear logo.

Actually, while traveling through Europe for the first time, and getting very tired of my tour guide, who was Austrian and ridiculously good looking, never being able to pronounce my name with all of its mixed heritage... so I aspired to be called by the sound my initials make "Keck".

Unfortunately this happened right after the move My Big Fat Greek Wedding came out and, if you've seen the movie, the Greek family pronounces the word "cake" similarly so I ended up being called silly things such as "Bunty" like the bundt cake they get in the movie. :(

Point being, no matter the seemingly innocent sound of a name, children are cruel creatures and will figure SOMETHING out. It isn't right that parents would willingly create an atmosphere where their child would be made fun of.

... My sister, on the other hand, took a perfectly normal name and made it terribly embarassing. The name Sarah? So perfect and innocent and sweet?

Turn it around and it spells "Haras". -_- She figured this out in kindergarten and would write her name backwards just for the sheer joy of knowing that little secret...

Shawn Blackwolf
July 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
[quote=la tortuga;3627333]
Point being, no matter the seemingly innocent sound of a name, children are cruel creatures and will figure SOMETHING out. [ end quote ]

Who would guess ?

Years ago , as a young boy , I was teased , mercilessly...

"Shawn , Shawn , the Leprechaun"

Until the day I starting pointing my index finger at my
attackers , glaring with great malice , and declaring , with
force :

"Poof ! You are a Faery !"

Boys left me alone after that...just in case...:lol:...:thumbsup:...:uhhuhuh:...

Deb13b
July 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I know a Wendy House & a Maxwell House. I kid you not.
Also a little girl named Beardsley. FFS

Corvus
July 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I assure you all I am not one of these parents. My son's name is Alexander Raven.

I agree that there oughta be a law protecting children against stupid names. I'll keep my ideas for the consequences of breaking this law to myself, as they're a bit harsh. :hehehe:

Aoibheal
July 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Beardsley

Awesome, she's going to grow up to be one hell of a dwarf.

Serendipity
July 28th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I remember watching a show years ago on VH1 that said some celebrity named their kid Pilot Inspektor. I'm still laughing.

That would be Jason Lee's son

Serendipity
July 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
There should be a rule under child protection laws to stop this idiocy from happening - because kids need protection from idiot parents!
!

So we can all be named Suzie and Daniel. No thanks.

Crysiira
July 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM
So we can all be named Suzie and Daniel. No thanks.

I agree that names should not all be boring, and most parents should be allowed the creativity of naming their kids whatever they want. But I think what TygerTyger was saying is about these crazy parents who name their kids truly cringe-inducing names. I plan on naming my son Sebastian, if I ever have one. On the one hand, that could possibly set him up for teasing, as kids can be so cruel to each other. On the other hand, it's certainly better than the aforementioned Vagina.

Parents who name their kids Vagina and Sex Fruit should really in some way be punished... at least with mandatory parenting classes and such.

Invidosa
August 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think it's interesting when people take things crazy far. It's one thing to be creative when naming your child, in my humble opinion this is to be applauded, it's entirely a different thing to name your child "bus shelter" for crackers sake! With that said, I think there is something to be said for interesting names, I’m personally sick of meeting people with my name and have several times given serious thought to asking to be called something else.

I used to work at a grocery store, one day a customer came in and paid by check, I asked for his ID, and did a double take, I asked the guy "really?" He said, "yeah, really. My parents are Chinese immigrants, and I was born right after they came to America. They wanted to give me a very American name, and are big Spider Man fans.” Totally accidentally this poor guy ended up named Peter Pan!

Ariste
August 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM

Pretty sure it's the guy from My Name is Earl

Ariste
August 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM
I have heard of a girl being named Vagina, but it was pronounced Va-jee-na. I have also heard of girl twins with the last name of Pigg. Their names were Ima and Ura Pigg. What were ANY of these parents thinking? I have also heard of a girl being named Placenta. WHY?:giggle:

It was Ima and Ura Hogg, and i think their dad was the govenor of Texas or something.

Ariste
August 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
well Tana Ariste and Kitiara Delphine don't sound so bad now do they? LOL I know they are unusual names but hubby and I atleast tried to pick pretty ones.

Know Your Rights
August 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
I think parents who choose unusual, yet nice sounding names to have the right of it.
I, for one, like the name Shiloh, or Zahara, they're unique, but don't sound stupid.