PDA

View Full Version : How does the term ‘sacred’ apply to my Pantheism?

TygerTyger
July 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Sacred means nothing to me in the usual concept, as in a quality ascribed to an object, such as some Christians consider the Bible to be sacred or the declared artefact of a saint. Just declaring that something is sacred in no way changes the essential attributes of that object for me, it remains just a book or just a bone.

For me something is sacred as the end result of a circular journey beginning with myself. Why am I special? Why am I deserving of any particular treatment that could be considered beneficial. Well, I am a part of this physical world because I exist. I am alive and I have the capacity to feel in various ways. I am very similar to other living things, very few of which go out of their way to hurt me. With all living things I share my DNA through the process of evolution, right back through primitive mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, amoeba, primitive plant cells to the very first living organism. We are all a part of the same life-system. The link is not only genetic, however, my body is built from the same building blocks as all other physical objects; matter. I have atoms, molecules and elementary particles in my body that are found in everything else that exists, that is, everything including the universe! And then, of course, there is the energy of my life-force, which is also shared with every other living thing.

With so many points of connexion, in fact it sometime seems to me that there aren’t any points in existence where we are not connected to everything, then I can only be special if everything else is. The notion of ‘sacred’ is, for me at least, reciprocal, in that I consider no one thing to be sacred but everything to be sacred, including myself.

Tanya
July 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I agree... everything is sacred.... and because of that I DONT feel I deserve.... anything... in paricular...

I don't feel I'm special in paricular...

can one be special in general then?

I think.. "yes" we are all sacred... we (meaning every living and and non-living things) is unique.. and thus 'special' but none of us are 'more special' or 'premenent over another.

I am NOT more special or deserving than a worm..

I am certainly motivated to my own self preservation and advancement.. and thus comes in 'magic/will' the force that we mentally and physically exhert on the universe to make the dice fall in a way that leaves us in a more rather than less adventageous position.. but should we find ourselves in a good (or bad ) spot.. it is NOT because some god does or doesn't love us.. its simply a chance conspiricy of our (in)abilty to exhert oourseves on the forces we needed to... and... chance.

mystic_zoe
July 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
my view...

I honestly did look up to definition for the term sacred.

from answers.com
Dedicated to or set apart for the worship of a deity.
Worthy of religious veneration: the sacred teachings of the Buddha.
Made or declared holy: sacred bread and wine.
Dedicated or devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose, or person: sacred to the memory of her sister; a private office sacred to the President.
Worthy of respect; venerable.
Of or relating to religious objects, rites, or practices.

From that, i do think that everthing is sacred. Everything is worthy of our respect and for people to worship if they wish.
That doesnt necessarily mean we have to respect everything though.

Everything is sacred... i used to see 'everything' as refering to just life i.e. humans, plants, the earth, the universe etc.

and also rivers, the ocean, mountains and such things as being sacred because they are a part of nature.. but from reading another thread i changed my tune (so to speak). Everything really means Everything. Things which are living but also non living too.

Like i said in another thread i think that we as humans are a part of nature, which means so are the things we create.

cheddarsox
July 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I'm with the number 5 definition as well...I look at it like this. Everything is sacred...to something, special because of something that it is associated with.

On a moment to moment basis, I am not tuned into the sacredness of all things, because mostly I am concerned with my own associations to things. But when I allow my pantheism to enlighten me, I am able to tune into the sacredness of all things and places, etc.

So, everything is sacred, and on a remote level I am always aware of this. Part of my practice is to be aware on a more intimate level, to allow myself to really feel the sacredness. I like doing that, I learn things. I feel "connected" when I practice that.

My holidays/holydays aren't any different from other days, except that I have chosen to set those days aside to practice a more expansive awareness, same with ritual, etc.

The items on my altar are "sacred" because they remind me of my best self, my connectedness, important 'aha' moments I have had.