PDA

View Full Version : Incense or Oils for meditation?

~Belladonna~
July 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Which do you prefer? Personally I like to use incense sticks when meditating as they're quick and easy and great for the job of meditation. However, I sometimes use oils in a burner but not as often as I don't think the smell lasts long enough and oils don't seem to be as strong as incense.
I also anoint certain parts of my body with oils before some meditations as this helps my subconscious travels immensely :uhhuhuh: When doing this I will burn incense sticks as well :thumbsup:

So, which do you prefer to use? Or maybe you don't use any scents at all, maybe you burn herbs instead?

Astara Seague
July 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Usually incense
but there are times I do annoint with oils for certain purposes

LadyWillow
July 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I just use incense. It's quick, some brands last for quite awhile and it's very relaxing.

raistlin
July 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I always use incense, and different flavors for different types of meditation.

If I'm doing something just quick and simple to relieve stress, then I usually just use the cheap incense I get at my favorite store up the road.

If it's something really important, I use rose, since I don't have very much of rose and the smell is very special to me.

~Belladonna~
August 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I always use incense, and different flavors for different types of meditation.

If I'm doing something just quick and simple to relieve stress, then I usually just use the cheap incense I get at my favorite store up the road.

If it's something really important, I use rose, since I don't have very much of rose and the smell is very special to me.

HeHe, "flavours" you say :smile: I love it!!! Do they taste good? Sorry, I couldn't resist hun.

You made me smile for the day, so thanks for that :thumbsup:

Polypseudonymous Rex
January 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have some favorite "flavors" :mmm: based on certain needs.

In general (and particularly for astral meditation), I really like to use jasmine and lavender for meditation.

For cleansing meditations, I love to use lemongrass or sage.

Otherwise, I often choose an incense based on the task at hand (or based on the time - usually by season or moon). One of my favorite things to do is choose the incense based on the dominant element(s) of a meditation or ritual.

I also like to try mixing incense types, but I've found it rarely works unless I use the same brands. Incense sticks that would normally smell great together often smell nasty when the brands are incompatible.

Just my opinion. I know this will be different for everyone.

Blessings,
Scott

Polypseudonymous Rex
January 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot to answer the question.

Obviously, I prefer incense. But, then, I'm a fire/air person. Besides this elemental preference, I also like the idea that our thoughts are carried outward and upward with the smoke (I think of it more as outward because, to me, certain spirits and deities reside in the earth).

Also, though I have certain magical objects that I anoint, I never know if it's safe to put oils on my skin or in my bath water. Is there any way to know for sure before I run out of the bathroom yelling, "It burns!" :)

Blessings,
Scott

iceskater12
February 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
For meditating I generally use Nag Champa, as it has meditating properties and we have about a year supply that fills up an entire closet. Sandalwood is my favorite incense, I consider it general purpose and use it sometimes. I also have Frankincense, which is good for cleansing meditations

I'm interested in using oils, but I'm not sure what kind of oil I should purchase for meditating. Does anyone have any ideas? The only oil I have right now is for cleansing and consecrating tools, and sometimes used on my candles.

iceskater12
February 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Scott, to test oils before bathing or trying on your face:

You wouldn't know this unless you wear makeup, but you try a small dab of it on the thicker skin of your wrist, and if it burns then don't bathe in it! haha.

MoonMystSpirit
March 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
i like using resin incense when i'm meditating in front of my altar. usually this is for a specific reason and not just my general, need to calm myself and clear my head meditating.

for me it's the ritual of lighting the charcoal, starting the incense, watching it start to bubble and smoke...

i usually start my focus as to what what i'm about to meditate on while i start the incense.

right now i use mostly forest blend - good for calming and centering

:broomride

Against The Tide
March 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Oils are fun and great for anointing, but incense gives of so much more atmosphere. I love the soft streams of smoke batting against my skin, I love the smoky thick air and the dim red ashes of a burning stick/cone.

Godgifu
March 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Anna Riva makes some Meditation incense and oil; I've used the incense and didn't find it helpful for meditative purpose.

I like to burn plain Jasmine incense in these situations, and I've also hearb burning tobacco as an incense can help (it had spiritual associations to the native Americans.)

Otherwise, I sometimes am known to anoint my head with some kind of oil like Calming, Solomon's Wisdom, or Tobacco in these cases.

sleepycat
March 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Frankencense, Myrh, and Copal, ground fine, mixed, and sprinkled and a charcoal block