PDA

View Full Version : The Most Powerful Man in the City

Little Billy
July 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I met the Most Powerful Man In Town a few days back. He looks like a Powerful Man...his suit costs more than most people make in two months, and he has about him not the look of a hungry young predator, but that of a self-satisfied lion at the height of his strength. Well, that’s how he looks when you first meet him, anyway.

Here is a man who has political and economic clout over close to a half-million people. At a word from him, bars can gain or lose a liquor license. With the flick of his hand, he can rezone you right out of business, or do the same to your competitors. He is not of the city, he is the city.

We chatted at a black-tie party I had managed to finagle an invitation to, and I gather he didn’t get out much. The punch was making him talkative, and I’ve never met an actual autocrat before, so I was happy to listen.

“There’s always so much to do”, he said, “There’s never time to DO anything”.

“Don’t you have people for that?”

“Yes, but if they knew what they were doing, they’d be me.”

Har har! How’s THAT for arrogance? Here is the guy who is, arguably, the man that makes The City work, and he can’t trust his underlings.

But is it really arrogance? I mean, looking around at The City, it’s fairly easy to believe that the garbage won’t get picked up on its own (because that contract isn’t going to negotiate itself), the water may or may not show up when you turn on the tap...because our civil infrastructure is made up of people who have made an entire career out of not making decisions.

And that’s where The Most Powerful Man comes in. Ever city’s got one...sometimes you know who they are (Hello, Mayor Daley of Chicago), and sometimes they’re not so visible (Our Most Powerful Man isn’t even an official member of the city government).

“So, what do you do to relax?”

“Well, after work, I sit in my office on the top floor of the _____ building, and I gaze out over The City, and I take comfort in the fact that it is MY city, and it makes me richer every time I draw a breath. Sometimes I do that.”

“Doesn’t the bible say, ‘What profits a man to gain the whole world, if he loses his soul’?”

“It profits you The World. And that’s enough for me.”

“You say sometimes. What else do you do?”

“Sometimes I walk over to the window of my office, and I look down 50 stories onto The City. And I dream about crashing through that window, and being free for the four and a half seconds it takes to reach the ground. Then I go back to my desk and take the next call from some whimpering alderman who can’t get any results out of the sanitation department.”

I left a short while later, when people started asking questions about how the punch tasted, but I couldn’t get the guy out of my mind. I mean, here’s a guy that has what most people can only dream of...immense wealth and power, and the will to use it.

And his fondest wish, his most cherished fantasy, is to splatter himself all over the sidewalk on Congress St.

Ain’t that a bitch?

Or kill me.

Thunder
July 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Well done my friend... will there be more.

Little Billy
July 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well done my friend... will there be more.

Lots more.

My rant gland is active. Some is repost from the archives, some will be new.

Cassie
July 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Interesting edits.

Little Billy
July 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Interesting edits.

Thanks. Thunder didn't know who I was. He assumed someone was stealing from Little Billy over at EB&G, you see.

But thanks for the kind words. Always a pleasure to find people so friendly.

Lessarey
July 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
And his fondest wish, his most cherished fantasy, is to splatter himself all over the sidewalk on Congress St.

Ain’t that a bitch?

Or kill me.

my husband and i thought we had issues :( i hope he never does it

Little Billy
July 27th, 2008, 10:49 PM
my husband and i thought we had issues :( i hope he never does it

Don't think he will. He is convinced The City can't get along without him.

He might be right.

Thunder
July 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks. Thunder didn't know who I was. He assumed someone was stealing from Little Billy over at EB&G, you see.

But thanks for the kind words. Always a pleasure to find people so friendly.
I suspected from the start but A) My mind is elsewhere these days and B) You were so .... what is the word... restrained, perhaps?... that I doubted my intuition.

I gotta do some actual work right now.... shit. See ya later.

Little Billy
July 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I suspected from the start but A) My mind is elsewhere these days and B) You were so .... what is the word... restrained, perhaps?... that I doubted my intuition.

I gotta do some actual work right now.... shit. See ya later.

I was restrained at first last time.

I blame the influence of my no-good, trouble-making friends. :hahugh:

Thunder
July 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I was restrained at first last time.

I blame the influence of my no-good, trouble-making friends. :hahugh:god damn friends....

Little Billy
July 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
god damn friends....

That's why I contracted hits on them. :)

Twinkle
July 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I've always enjoyed this particular rant. It gave me food for thought, and made me think.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm quite naive.

Thank you for posting this.