PDA

View Full Version : Ewww! Big Bug!

Amethyst Rose
September 15th, 2002, 02:49 PM
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Green Room, but I just went outside and saw a HUGE centipede on the leaves of a tree.

I've never seen a centipede outside of a petstore before, and this thing was about 6 inches long and as thick as my finger.

EWWWW!!! Gives me the major hebejebe's!

That's one thing about this country....the bugs are huge and absolutely disgusting.

Is there anyone out there that actually likes centepedes?? I mean, there must be, otherwise they wouldn't sell them, right? Eww..... :sick:

So, does love of nature include bugs? If so, I'm a bad pagan... hehe :)

Nina
September 15th, 2002, 02:55 PM
HATE bugs... absolutely HATE bugs. The thought of a centipede that big makes me want to scream!!!! In the UK, the centipedes only get to around an inch long at most, and they still freak me out!!

Ewwww..... got the shudders now.....

Radocs
September 15th, 2002, 05:22 PM
I don't have a problem with them unless they touch me. I hate it when bugs crawl on me.

Old Witch
September 15th, 2002, 05:24 PM
People SELL centipedes????????:eek: :blushake:

Flaire-FireStar
September 15th, 2002, 05:34 PM
:blushake: Eugh....Bugs.. That's one thing I could do without...

Tammy Sullivan
September 15th, 2002, 06:29 PM
While they give me the creeps as well they do have thier place in the world......

Old Witch
September 15th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I am fond of Praying Mantis' and Ladybugs and all manner of caterpillars and Moths and Butterflys, excepting the Saddleback Caterpillar (those suckers hurt!!!), but don't some of the big Centipedes bite and aren't some of them poisonous???:eek:

flar7
September 15th, 2002, 07:15 PM
yes, some centipedes are poisenous.......

Caelin
September 15th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Those little centipedes are sweet :) But only when they're not touching me.

Ladybirds are fun too - though have you ever looked at their mouth/faces? They look a little less harmless if you do that. Still, they eat aphids and are pretty :D

However, if every daddy-long-legs in the world suddenly died, I can't say I would be extremely sorrowful, as I hate those things. But, as with most creepy-crawlies, so long as they're outside, I don't have a problem with them, its only if they're in my room that I hate them!

So, does love of nature include bugs? If so, I'm a bad pagan... hehe

Same here :) And there are certain animals I can't stand too - I hate sloths, for example. They're just disgusting. But that's not their fault, but mine, I suppose, as they didn't ask to look like grossly deformed humans.

*shudders*

-Caelin

MammaStar
September 15th, 2002, 10:25 PM
I like centipedes. WHEN I'M SHOOTING THEM IN MY COMPUTER GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Ick, I'm not a big bug fan myself. Just ask Mithrea. She witnessed a freak out by me when a GIANT SPIDER tried to eat me one nite.

Seriously you guys, it was HUGE!!!!

:lol: :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Rubi Waters
September 15th, 2002, 11:18 PM
ok not a big fan of bugs..usually don't mind them too much BUT
centipedes are the exception.....ew ew ew my spine turns to jello when i see those. A giant one ...ick...don't even want to think about it!!!!

posted by Old Witch
People SELL centipedes????????
EEEEEEEWWWWWWW

SerenityMoon
September 16th, 2002, 02:02 PM
*shudder* i cannot stand bugs, except for ladybugs and butterflies. and spiders only bother me if they're ON me.
in texas, or really most of the south, we have these HUGE roach like bugs called palmetto roaches (some people call them waterbugs) and they fly and they comes out mostly during the summer in moist places. they're the grossest thing...*shudder*

Old Witch
September 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
OH Goddess!!!! They actually fly at you!!!!!!!!And they love palmettos.......SC is called the "Palmetto State"...........:blushake: They also have this fondness for Pine trees:eek:

Sequoia
September 16th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Okay Tiffu that's it, I'm NEVER staying with you in the summer. Ever. Period. *SHUDDERS*

we get lots of spiders here. Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head. . . no, seriously, I held this tarantula in the pet store, big as my hand. It was really sweet though. The ones that you get at the pet stores are rather harmless. . think of them as small, personality-less cats with extra legs. I wanted one :lol:

but other than those ones and butterflies. . . uhg. No bugs around me, thank you. I freak out with moths and those little compact hairy Spiders of Doom. Evil. hehe

Nina
September 16th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Small, personality-less cats with more legs? You crack me up, Puma, you really do!!!!!:rotfl: :crylaugh: 8O :lol:

SpikesPet5150
September 16th, 2002, 06:26 PM
I hate bugs that cling to you. Like crickets, grasshoppers, spiders, praying mantises.... cause they cling and you have to actually *touch* them to get them off of you. EWWW! And I hate how Praying Mantises turn their heads to look at your. It's creepy. And I had a centipede crawl over my hand one night while I was on the computer. It was teeeeeny tiny... but I flipped out!! I screamed and ran downstairs and made Sean come up and find it and kill it. I hate any bug that can fly at my face, too. I really dislike that. I like ladybugs, though.. they're cute. And I think caterpillars are pretty cute, too. We had a huge Elm tree when I was growing up and there were TONS of caterpillars on it, and I would go out there and try to name them all and play with them. :) I think rollypolly's are kinda cute, too. I used to bowl with them when I was a kid. Make em roll up into a ball and then bowl them down the sidwalk into some sticks. Probably not very fun for the bug, but I thought it was a laugh riot.
~Bree

Old Witch
September 16th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Heard something on the news last night about the Arctic or Antarctic melting and how it could be bad for native spiders as big as a plate!!!!..... :eek: BIG AS A PLATE!!!!

MzNeko
September 16th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Hmm... the bug that most makes me want to flee screaming into the night?

BEES! (also wasps, yellowjackets, and all their striped stinging ilk!)

I swear the little bastards used to be attracted to me when I was a kid - I was always getting stung because one would land on me without my knowledge, and then I would move, which would scare them, which meant pain for me... I used to have nightmares about them.

You can imagine how thrilled I am to hear that africanized honeybees have made their way to the part of southern California where I live... :eek:

I know that bees serve an important role in nature, pollination, etc. That's dandy, but that role is best served far away from me!

I'm also not really fond of spiders, though I can handle it as long as they're not ON me. I actually kind of like daddy longlegs - they're so fragile looking that they don't really scare me, and better yet, they EAT roaches! House roaches, anyway, I don't think they could handle palmetto bugs. We've had some trouble with roaches in spite of much effort, so whenever I see a daddy longlegs in the house, eating one, I think "Yessss, my pretties, eat and grow numerous. Muwahahahahah!"

Butterflies don't even count as bugs to me - they're flowers that fly.

Cinnamon Girl
September 16th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Well, I really don't like bugs, especially ones that can move faster than I can!

Let's see, I don't like spiders but don't mind them so much since I figure they eat other bugs! As long as I don't touch them, I'm fine.

The bugs I hate the most are cockroaches! *shudder*

Before I moved to the South, I'd never seen a cockroach ~ my only experience of them was seeing them on movies like Seven or something. Consequently, I associated them with dirty, gross surroundings. Well, they are EVERYWHERE down here ~ and yes, some people call them waterbugs like that somehow makes them less gross! Oh, the stories I could tell you, would make your skin crawl! And when I first found out (by seeing one come at me) that they FLEW I just about freaked out. :shaker:

MzNeko, I'm with you on the daddylonglegs (but I didn't know they ate roaches ~ makes them even better!)
so whenever I see a daddy longlegs in the house, eating one, I think "Yessss, my pretties, eat and grow numerous. Muwahahahahah!":rotfl:

SerenityMoon
September 16th, 2002, 10:32 PM
OldWitch and MoonOwl: i know!! don't they gross you out, those damn palmettos/water bugs!!! *SHUDDER* they're the nastiest bug i've ever seen.
Puma Hime: LMAO befu!! come during the winter or spring. =P i could just see me and you trapped in some room with a palmetto flying around. LOL
with i lived with my parents, they live out in the woods, and i would come home late at night, and i used to hvae to make a mad dash from my car to their house or the daddy long legs would fall on you from the porch's roof. it was sickening. they'd get in your hair..*shudder*

Armitage
September 17th, 2002, 12:05 AM
EW. Palmetto bugs. My mom told me about them from her trip to Florida, giant flying roaches. Worst we get here are huge silverfish because my basement is so damp, and large wasps my cat likes to disembowel.
And I've seen huge millipedes in pet stores too, ten inches long and about the diameter of a quarter. :blushake:

Rubi Waters
September 17th, 2002, 12:10 AM
ok use to like ladybugs till a swarm of them landed on me ...ok thought that was cute......till they bit me....yes some bite.....eeeewwwww

Leafstar
September 17th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Whew! then no one would like it where I am originally from, Upstate NY, we get Eastern Dobson Flies! They're about three inches long with inch long pinchers on their mouthes. They look like dragonflies on steroids!

Amemphis
September 17th, 2002, 12:25 AM
I don't mind many bugs, I'll even try and help the few that wander into houses. Except if they get into my bedroo, then I go kung-fu fly swatter on them! We have this god awful bug that comes out at night. No one in our house knows what it is. Its like a spider did the funky with a centipede. Its long and has spidery legs and is brown and even when your squash it with a shoe it just stands back up! Help! What is it?

Caelin
September 17th, 2002, 01:01 AM
I once saw a really scary beetle...

Well, it didn't look scary, I thought it was just a beetle. So I called my cat, because she liked eating beetles and spiders and things (ick). She walked up to the beetle, the beetle reared up on its legs and showed a flash of white down its underside...I've never seen my cat run away so fast before! We decided it must be poisonous or something, so we got rid of it with a broom :)

Amemphis,
Are you sure its not one of those brown spiders? I got one in my room once, and tried to drown it in contact lens solution, but it just looked appreciative, and hid under my bed. I felt like a fool, but I had to call my dad to come and get rid of it!

You could always just trap it under a box and chuck it out the window to get rid of it?

-Caelin

earthcat
September 17th, 2002, 01:43 AM
Some bugs I like, ('zebra' spiders, rolly-pollies, crickets, etc.) some bugs I don't mind, (katy did's, grasshoppers, cicadas, etc.) some bugs give me the willies, (walking sticks and centipedes.) and some I kill every chance I get, (biting flies, fleas, mosquitos, and anything else that drinks my blood. It's mine, and they can't have it!!!)

earthcat
September 17th, 2002, 01:43 AM
Sugarplum?

Amemphis
September 17th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Its got like dozens of legs and theres a whole little colony. Big ones, little ones. And they come out one at a time. Then squash! We kill that one and a few nights later theres another. Its like bug reincarnation or possesion. They look like centipedes only spidery and flat bodied.

Armitage
September 17th, 2002, 02:29 AM
I love dragonflies and mantids, and of course moths and butterflies. I'll let a mantis sit on my hand, no problem, but if the things have way too many legs or buzz, I freak. Spiders are rad, but I don't like touching them, too afraid of poisonous ones. And swarms of anything are just...creepy. Hive mind-type-deals give me the heebie jeebies.

Emerald Oak
September 17th, 2002, 05:28 AM
I don't mind bugs. In fact, I have an unconscious fascination towards them. When I see one (especially ones I rarely or never see), I can't help but watch it to see where it goes, what does, etc. This is why I can't decide whether or not I like Summer. Lots of bugs to study, lots of ant bites to combat :bug::wah:

SerenityMoon
September 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
in the teaching building where my classes are here on campus, rollie pollies get in and as you walk down the hall, you can see them scattered on the floor. i try not to squish them.

Cinnamon Girl
September 17th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Okay, this thread is giving me a case of the willies, :blushake: but I can't stop reading! And I have to ask, what are rollie-pollies?

Old Witch
September 17th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Amemphis!! sounds like you've got an alien life form!!!! I'd have to leave the house!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

earthcat
September 17th, 2002, 02:20 PM
rollie-pollies--otherwise known as armadillo bugs.:bigredgri
does that help?

SpikesPet5150
September 17th, 2002, 02:21 PM
They're Isopods. They're also known as pill bugs, potato bugs and sow bugs. They're little grey insects and they look like tiny armadillo's to me. LOL And they roll themselves up into a ball when they're scared and you can roll them. They're fun.
~Bree

Old Witch
September 17th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Rollie polies are annoying, thats what they are!!

Rubi Waters
September 17th, 2002, 02:58 PM
I'm not a big spider fan but the other day Me & my SO were at a resturant and down comes this spider from the ceiling. (ick) It sat next to Ken and we watched it crawl it's way down to the floor. ( I was sending go away vibes to it :) well we watched it walk almost all the way across to the next booth and just as it was about safe, someone walked by and squished him :( I felt bad because i was the one who wished him away.

earthcat
September 17th, 2002, 03:02 PM
awwww, poor spider....

I like it when the teeny tiny ones suddenly appear in front of you on their invisible web-threads. I like to (gently) play with em....

Nina
September 17th, 2002, 03:06 PM
You like 'em? Have all the ones in my basement then..... EWWWWWWW!!!!

earthcat
September 17th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks Nina; but just the ones that are smaller than the head of a pin....

Nina
September 17th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Oh dear.... Mine are bigger than that. They've taken to knocking on the basement door. In morse code. Loudly.

Rubi Waters
September 17th, 2002, 11:31 PM
it's starting to get cooler outside so many are coming into the house EEEWWWW but the ones left outside love to make thier webs across the walkway so i walk into them in the morning. EEEEWWWWWWWWWW
every morning for the last week....i can't stand it.......

earthcat
September 18th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah, walking thru webs is not fun.... Especially when you don't know where the spider is! I do not like them on me at all!!!

Caelin
September 18th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Spiders' webs are useful though...if they're hanging off a thread, you can just pick up the thread and put the spider elsewhere, without either hurting it or having to touch it :D The only worry is when they scoot back up the thread as you're holding it...

Sora
September 18th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Sheesh. That happened to a freind of mine as we were boarding her boat, she picked this huge web up and tossed it over the side. It took her a while to realise that the big bugger that came with it was on her sleeve. Nearly fell overboard, when she did!

Myself, I have no issues with any bugs that leave me and my garden alone. Except for ants. Fire ants. Them little devils will make your foot swell up twice its size if you step in a nest!

Caelin
September 18th, 2002, 08:52 PM
are those the red ants? I know I was always told to keep away from red ants, and red spiders. As I always have, I don't know what they do :) Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen a red ant. I've seen loads of those tiny red spiders though!

Old Witch
September 18th, 2002, 10:38 PM
For Fire ants, take red ants and multiply pain and venom by 100.......... Fire ants have been known to kill horses................ and people..........

Altheia
September 18th, 2002, 11:07 PM
yeppers....they sure enough have...that's why i wear big boots...to stomp them critters with..hee hee

Sora
September 18th, 2002, 11:35 PM
I was barefoot on a beach in Flordia when my foot found a nice little hill swarming with the buggers. I didn't know they were that poisonous, just that they were that painful. I couldn't wear a proper shoe until school started up again. Now I watch where I go. Very carefully. Though I never knew they could kill... *shudder*

SerenityMoon
September 20th, 2002, 01:48 AM
ooh yes. fire ants. those damn things run rampant here in texas!!

Old Witch
September 20th, 2002, 12:24 PM
shudders....South Carolina too!!

Sora
September 20th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Well, I live in Alberta and if them ants followed me home that summer, they're all dead now. Either that or lost in a chunk of ice somewhere. There's a plus to the cold.

Amethyst Rose
September 21st, 2002, 02:35 PM
I'm phobic about spiders.... can't stand them. I try to be logical about them, but I can't. The problems is that they always have to run towards me, and that makes me scream and run away. Apparently there are tarantulas all over this island, and someone saw a spider so big, it was trying to chase down a chicken (they beat the spider with a shovel to kill it.) Luckily I haven't seen any of those yet, or I'd have to leave the country. Gives me the shudders just thinking about it.
I'm originally from Alberta, and my home town was in the middle of a June Bug migration path, and they are disgusting, huge beetles. I remember people running over them with they're bikes, when I was a kid, just to hear the satisfying "crunch" they made. *shudder*

starfire
July 14th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Is there anyone out there that actually likes centepedes?? I mean, there must be, otherwise they wouldn't sell them, right? Eww..... :sick:

So, does love of nature include bugs? If so, I'm a bad People... hehe :)

Yumm, taste like chicken.....just kidding....must be used to feed other animal types.

IrishDancer
July 14th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Damn it! I keep misreading thread titles today, and this time I thought it said "Awwww! Big hug!" and thought I'd be getting in on some mass cuddling here. But no, instead, I get to read about disgusting bugs. Pfft.

But hey Ame, were you the person that posted about waking up with pain in your eye, and realizing you'd had a centipede curled up on your eyelid? That gave me a major phobia right there, I can't remember who posted that....

starfire
July 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Damn it! I keep misreading thread titles today, and this time I thought it said "Awwww! Big hug!" and thought I'd be getting in on some mass cuddling here. But no, instead, I get to read about disgusting bugs. Pfft.

But hey Ame, were you the person that posted about waking up with pain in your eye, and realizing you'd had a centipede curled up on your eyelid? That gave me a major phobia right there, I can't remember who posted that....

Aw, thats OK we can still cuddle can't we....hugs to you

IrishDancer
July 14th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Aw, thats OK we can still cuddle can't we....hugs to you

Aww _pounce_ Maybe if we all huddle together, we can fend off any insects :huddle:

starfire
July 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Aww _pounce_ Maybe if we all huddle together, we can fend off any insects :huddle:

Thanks, especially spiders OK, I will get the rest no problem, but spiders AHHHHH <hides head in shoulder>

Amethyst Rose
July 15th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Wow....old thread. And no, that wasn't me that has stung by the centipede, thank the gods.