PDA

View Full Version : What material do you use?

Agaliha
July 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I'm curious, what materials did you use for your decks?

Like, for the actual cards-- cardstock, index cards (blank), something else?

Did you color/paint/paste/etc the image straight onto the cards or do it some other way?

And how sturdy are your homemade decks?

WynterWynd
July 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I would use these and my printer

http://www.plaincards.com/Tarot.html

Agaliha
July 29th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Wow. I didn't know they made those! That's cleaver.

Only if I ever did decide to make my own deck of some sort, I don't think I could count on my printer for quality (not that it's that bad, just not the best) and that'd take a lot of ink :2G:

I'll check that site out, though.

Has anyone tried cardstock or anything like that?

Zephyrstorm
July 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM
This podcast (http://tarotconnection.net/episode-85/) discusses making your own and the pros and cons of cardstock and other methods. :)

Agaliha
July 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM

I'm also curious, just because, what other people used-- markers, printer, cut/paste, crayons, paint, etc.

Things like that.

Zephyrstorm
July 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I haven't tried to make any myself, yet. I've got folks who want me to, but that's a major undertaking.

Perhaps one of our creators will come by and see this?

SilverClaw
August 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'm curious, what materials did you use for your decks?

Like, for the actual cards-- cardstock, index cards (blank), something else?

Did you color/paint/paste/etc the image straight onto the cards or do it some other way?

And how sturdy are your homemade decks?

Well for me one deck I am working on is made out of heavy watercolor paper. Then the other ones I am working at either will be made on heavy duty photo paper, and card stock....

Now since I am still in the early stages of my decks I use digital photos, Ink and watercolor paint for the second one, and the other ones various types of paint... which could range from Acrylic, water color or oils not 100 percent sure yet and depending on my kids I may use Pencil crayons to. ( will let you know more when I do :D

SilverClaw
August 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I haven't tried to make any myself, yet. I've got folks who want me to, but that's a major undertaking.

Perhaps one of our creators will come by and see this?
Ya an undertaking I have been working off and on with my one deck since 2004. I feel though with each deck after wards it is getting easier to make the cards and know what symbolism to use.

Astara Seague
August 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
my first deck I made by myself was with poster board..I measured and cut them all and used pen and ink to draw and color the pictures
the next one I was able to use the 5 x 7 unlined recipe cards
they both took a very long time to create!

gwynwas
October 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
So, for those of you who have made your own decks, what were the pros and cons of the materials you used? How did it work out?

LisaT4P
October 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I used colored pencils on one of those pads of drawing paper. I quartered the paper & drew one card in each quarter. Then, I scanned them in to my computer. Then printed them out on a color printer onto laminated card stock. Then had them cut and collated.

I managed 4 copies of the deck this way. One for me, one for the friend who helped me create it and one for a really good friend who lives in Italy and is a collector (he was thrilled to have a copy of a deck that no one else would ever have). The last copy had some flaws and was missing a card or two because of cutting issues. I'm not sure where that one went. :)

I never use the deck, it is just too fragile to shuffle. But I like having it around and the process was educational.

meowmeow
December 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I would LOVE to make my own deck, but don't have the materials or time.