PDA

View Full Version : Writing your own mythology?

Agaliha
July 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Has anyone attempted or succeeded in writing their own myths or adaption of common myths and/or the archetypal themes within them?

I've been thinking of trying this again. I had some stuff I did in the past, but lost the text :( I was working on a little something about the seasons, then.

Also, related, has anyone thought of writing new myths about their gods, maybe based off personal gnosis, interactions and whatnot?

ETA: There's an site, with a category for mythology (http://www.fictionpress.com/fiction/Mythology/10/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/) where many people are doing just that. I'm more curious about those that do it for spiritual reasons, though.

Just curious!

Louisvillian
July 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I'm written my own adaptation of the Wiccan mythological cycle, i.e the mythic events traced by the Wheel of the Year. While not classical mythology of course, it is the primary myth of my religion, so I guess that counts writing one's own adaptation of a myth.

BenSt
July 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Its a great question and yes I have attempted at times.

I'm trying right now to best answer your question and describe what goes through my head when I've attempted to do this. See, as a kind of tribute or perhaps memory exercise... I've seriously sat down and designed a somewhat mythical universe based around the structures of the workplaces I've been in.

For example, I've always worked in very structured, closed off environments with a hiararchy and landscape (whether it was a department store or an office.)

When I first started working at Walmart when I was a mere lad, based on the functions of different people in the store, it was easy to sit down and design a cosmos around the store's departments... and create a pantheon based on certain characters working with me. Inspired by, not exactly the same... as my coworkers.

I remember that I designed a God based on my personality and becasue I worked in fashion and all the clothing racks could look like trees in some ways... I made myself and the four or five others forest Gods. There were ofcourse all the cashiers who I recreated to be Heavenly nymphs of wealth (see, cashiers take money and give it to the Managers.) and ofcourse the four or five Managers and assistant managers were the Highest Gods in the pantheon. Then, after studying a bit of world mythology... I decided that the enemies of these Gods of walmart would be shoplifters...who would sporadically come into the Universe to steal and cause mayhem...but be finally destroyed by the Managers.

It was all really very much an exercise in creative imagination.

But I came to realize that if you take any group... and their dynamics.. one could easily create a mythology out of it.

Even among my group of friends right now, I could easily take our interactions and create a mythology around it.

Windsmith
August 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I got frustrated with Wheel of the Year myths that involved the Sun "going away from" the Earth and tried to rewrite it based on the Earth orbiting the Sun. Except that after I finished it, I smacked my forehead and said, "But the Earth's tilt creates the seasonal patterns, not its orbit!" And then nothing I'd written made sense.

So, yes. I am a failed mythologist.

BlackLili
August 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
I tend to write my own versions of Aesop's fables. I've developed one for Crow, and one for Sheep, and am currently working on one for Bear.

They aren't Aesop's fables in the sense that I'm just "updating" the old myths, it's my own mythological-style stories using animals to explain things to humans.

I'm basically trying to think of questions I asked as a child and didn't get a satisfactory answer to; Why do people die? Why do we sleep? etc

At least, if nothing else, this way I have a ready answer when my kids ask me these things!

David19
August 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
I got frustrated with Wheel of the Year myths that involved the Sun "going away from" the Earth and tried to rewrite it based on the Earth orbiting the Sun. Except that after I finished it, I smacked my forehead and said, "But the Earth's tilt creates the seasonal patterns, not its orbit!" And then nothing I'd written made sense.

Yet, you're good at plenty of other things :).

David19
August 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I tend to write my own versions of Aesop's fables. I've developed one for Crow, and one for Sheep, and am currently working on one for Bear.

They aren't Aesop's fables in the sense that I'm just "updating" the old myths, it's my own mythological-style stories using animals to explain things to humans.

I'm basically trying to think of questions I asked as a child and didn't get a satisfactory answer to; Why do people die? Why do we sleep? etc

At least, if nothing else, this way I have a ready answer when my kids ask me these things!

Those sound pretty cool, and, I'm sure it'll help with your kids, it also explained something new to me too, as I hadn't heard of Aesop's fables before.

SilverClaw
August 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
When it comes to writing mythologies for my novels yes I have ( or I am in the process of) , but when it comes to my actual spiritual path I would have to say no..

It was all really very much an exercise in creative imagination.

But I came to realize that if you take any group... and their dynamics.. one could easily create a mythology out of it.

Even among my group of friends right now, I could easily take our interactions and create a mythology around it. I now feel so challenged :D Hmm wonder if we could get something going in the P&L forum?

SilverClaw
August 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM

I think that is awesome :D

Louisvillian
September 19th, 2008, 12:28 AM
On the subject, quite recently I have been writing an elaborate combined mythology based on the various core Wiccan myths floating around. I've combined the story of the cycle of the seasons, i.e. the main events of the Sabbats, with a simplified version of the Descent of the Goddess tale (e.g., it acts as an interquel between when The God dies on Samhain and when he is reborn at Yule), as well an ad-hoc genesis tale involving The All spontaneously forming and then creating the Goddess and God, in addition to a few minor myths, like the Holly/Oak King dichotomy.

It's turning out to be very interesting. ^^ :boing:

skilly-nilly
September 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM

But the Earth 'goes away' from the Sun by means of its tilt, neh?

On the subject, quite recently I have been writing an elaborate combined mythology based on the various core Wiccan myths floating around. I've combined the story of the cycle of the seasons, i.e. the main events of the Sabbats, with a simplified version of the Descent of the Goddess tale (e.g., it acts as an interquel between when The God dies on Samhain and when he is reborn at Yule), as well an ad-hoc genesis tale involving The All spontaneously forming and then creating the Goddess and God, in addition to a few minor myths, like the Holly/Oak King dichotomy.

It's turning out to be very interesting. ^^ :boing:

I've done that! And enjoyed it a lot. It's very tricky to make it work out consistently and without logic flaws, though.

As well, I've 're-written'... well, actually re-interpreted is a better word... some classic children's 'fairy' tales:
http://www.crowjudith.com/category/fairy-tales/

Louisvillian
September 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah. Logical consistency is a bitch when writing it. That's why I simplified it, to keep heavy details out so they don't garble it. I figured out a way to solve the icky situation of the god and goddess being a hyper-incestuous couple, though... in the myth version I wrote, she bathes in a magical spring, like Hera in Greek myth, which restores her virginity, youth, and maidenhood. So she becomes like a different person, so it's not necessarily the God banging his own mom. :lol:

skilly-nilly
September 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I figured out a way to solve the icky situation of the god and goddess being a hyper-incestuous couple, though... in the myth version I wrote, she bathes in a magical spring, like Hera in Greek myth, which restores her virginity, youth, and maidenhood. So she becomes like a different person, so it's not necessarily the God banging his own mom. :lol:

I think of the Winter Hag as the Cailleach Beara.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/268026
She becomes a stone at Samhain and then 'thaws' as a young, beautiful woman (perhaps Bride, the old personification of Bridget), which is basically the same as your bathing transformation.

Where do you put in the gestating and baby-having? I have a problem with the before She bathes/melts She's old, and after She's virginal loop. What do you do about this?

Louisvillian
September 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Well, for the spring turning her into a virgin again, I don't give a whole lot of detail. I just state simply that it does. It's a myth, after all, not a literal depiction, so it doesn't have to be 100% logical. I try to be around 75-80%.

And as for the periodisation where she's pregnant, I have that the God and Goddess' relationship is consummated on Beltaine, which is conveniently about nine months before Yule. As far as I'm aware, that's actually fairly conventional.

Windsmith
September 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM
But the Earth 'goes away' from the Sun by means of its tilt, neh?Quite true! But in the context of what I'd actually written, that just didn't cut it. Le sigh.

raistlin
October 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
My friend, Max, and I have been thinking about writing our own version of the Iliad.....twisting it around a bit to be more humorous. xP

C. Iulia Regilia
March 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
I've kinda messed with this in the past -- mostly putting a pagan twist on historical myths. Libertas as the mother of America named as such by argueing that humans were capable of self rule, and Iove basicly telling her to put her money where her mouth is. Thus she and her consort Mithras found America as an experiment in human self-rule. The dust bowl and depression were punishment for indian removal and contract breaking (Mithras is really down on that).

I want to try to do the same with Louis and Clark, and maybe space exploration (who knows what lies in space).

Corvis Canis Latrans
March 3rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
I've toyed with the myths of the Sybil who was cursed to live forever by Apollo but continue aging. Hera (who wasn't much pleased about Apollo's birth to start with) hears of it and changes the blessing turned curse yet again (she's unable to break it, but can change it), and Sybil becomes a kind of archetype for the notion of reincarnation.

David19
March 3rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
I've kinda messed with this in the past -- mostly putting a pagan twist on historical myths. Libertas as the mother of America named as such by argueing that humans were capable of self rule, and Iove basicly telling her to put her money where her mouth is. Thus she and her consort Mithras found America as an experiment in human self-rule. The dust bowl and depression were punishment for indian removal and contract breaking (Mithras is really down on that).

I want to try to do the same with Louis and Clark, and maybe space exploration (who knows what lies in space).

That actually sounds quite cool, if you ever put it down in writing, I'd definitely love to read it :).

ninurta2008
March 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM
At one point I wanted to connect the greek and babylonian pantheons by adapting the enuma elish at the beginning. The way I was going to do it was by fusing Tiamat with Thalassa, and Pontus with Apsu. Partly because I liked some of the greek beliefs and philosophies. Then I decided not to.

SacredNight
March 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
But the Earth 'goes away' from the Sun by means of its tilt, neh?

no orbit is an exact circle either, it is an oval :D.
So the sun does goes away a bit sometimes