PDA

View Full Version : F.E.A.R. - I'm afraid!

TygerTyger
July 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Well, after reading people's welcomed suggestions on a previous thread, looking at how many pennies I had in my (ex)piggy-bank and the maximum spec of my tired old steamdriven PC I plumbed for F.E.A.R. as a means of releasing my stress at the end of a working day!

I picked up a new copy, still sealed, for 5.80p, including p&p, on Amazon! It loaded fine and after a few minutes trying to sort out the mouse-pointer movement on the screen (too much lag one minute, too quick the next), I was up and running - literally! This game had me ducking in the first five minutes after well timed smack in the face with a plank!!

It's early days but my initial impression is favourable. The atmosphere is created with relish, lots of dark areas and shadows where it looks like something might be lurking. Sound is put to good effect and the character voices are very good. There's swearing in the dialogue, something that I'm non-plussed about, I can get to hear all that at work I don't really need it on my PC too when I'm trying to relax!

The graphics look good and movement is pretty smooth, although my son reckons they look dated but then he's playing Halo 3 on an X-box 360!

I love the sloMo feature! This is so much fun. Creep up to a bad guy, hit Ctrl and then kick him into next week and he can only respond with the speed of a slug! Brilliant!

I am sure that the gameplay is linear but the design is so good that it doesn't feel like it! This is probably helped by the fact that there are no maps or guidance devices available so you never which direction you are facing in. Several times I've wondered if I am just wandering around aimlessly only to reach the next checkpoint without even realising it.

Combat is good. The machine-guns wander off target as a recoil effect so you have to pay attention and the enemy uses everything you do; except the sloMo because that would be unfair! The AI is not as good as they made it out to be, but then neither was S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s

It's early days yet but F.E.A.R is proving very entertaining. It may not be the latest in gaming experience but it still does the job, and I find it very easy to make those clone soldiers look like people from work!

:uzi:

Philosophia
July 31st, 2008, 08:01 AM
I love F.E.A.R.! It's one of my favorite games.

Against The Tide
July 31st, 2008, 08:22 AM
The missions are pretty linear but multiplayer was cool :D

TygerTyger
August 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I have finished F.E.A.R. but I have to admit that I played it on an easy setting first. I enjoyed it but did not quite follow the story, which seemed to lose something after I killed the chief nutter and then get haunted by the little girl!

I've now gone back to the beginning and selected a much harder setting. First impressions are that this was the right thing to do. The combat is superior and the SloMo is not quite the advantage it was. I am afraid that when engaging the enemy I have to also engage the brain a bit too!

Because I know the locations now I don't get so confused when spinning around trying to kill and not be killed and the cut-scenes are actually more of a welcome break whereas previously they seemed a bit annoying.

This is a very good game. It has its' faults but then what game doesn't. Even on my elderly PC it runs smoothly, sounds good and looks impressive (unless you play Halo 3 on the X-Box). There's a need to be sneaky and plan ahead when dealing with some situations and particular enemies, this is more apparent on the harder settings and more rewarding as a result.

I hope they have a F.E.A.R 2 in the pipeline as I'd be keen to try it.

CoolJ
August 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
If you ask me, FEAR's visuals are pretty outstanding. ;) Excellent game, glad you enjoyed it! My friends would always be terrified while playing it :D

Shawn Cameron
August 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
one of my faves! and the two expantions are purty good to in their own ways.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! and the AI gets much better the harder the settings.

Garm
August 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I hope they have a F.E.A.R 2 in the pipeline as I'd be keen to try it.

Fear 2

as in Extraction Point? [Expansion]

Or as in the stand alone expansion called Perseus Mandate

I don't think next installment is going to be called F.E.A.R because of copy right issues

Extraction was even darker and scarier than the original, I was actually playing with the lights turned on by the time I got to the hospital sequence

That's pretty bad

Perseus Mandate is much more up beat, emphasizing the shooter rather than the scarer aspects

And the plot line gets really complicated and I am wondering if they're going to be able to tie it all up in to a consistent package

Really liked the voice acting for Fettel

have to pay attention and the enemy uses everything you do; except the sloMo because that would be unfair!

At the end of Perseus Mandate you are pitted against some mercenaries who have been given the same enhancements.

I'm sure you can imagine what that's like

I enjoyed it but did not quite follow the story, which seemed to lose something after I killed the chief nutter and then get haunted by the little girl!

I had to pay close attention to computer files being downloaded from the Arkham facilities to make any sense of it

Alma's spirit generally appeared as a little girl because she lost her childhood when inducted as a guinea pig for weapons research. She was in her mid to late teens when she was finally killed. Most of the time she was kept in a coma except when they wanted to use her for breeding purposes[Paxton Fettel is her son]. So basically you have
1/ A powerful psychic
2/being horrible abused
3/kept in a region in between worlds of the living and the dead
4/and then finally murdered

Which all opens up this vortex of very bad vibes, which is locked up for years untill that obnoxious female CEO decides to re purpose the facility

Near the end Alma's father in a fit of guilt releases the revenant of Alma, from the cold storage in which she was kept, allowing her to become even more powerful

Does that make any sense?

Garm
August 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I enjoyed it but did not quite follow the story, which seemed to lose something after I killed the chief nutter and then get haunted by the little girl!

I had to pay close attention to computer files being downloaded from the Arkham facilities to make any sense of it

Alma's spirit generally appeared as a little girl because she lost her childhood when inducted as a guinea pig for weapons research. She was in her mid to late teens when she was finally killed. Most of the time she was kept in a coma except when they wanted to use her for breeding purposes[Paxton Fettel is her son]. So basically you have
1/ A powerful psychic
2/being horrible abused
3/kept in a region in between worlds of the living and the dead
4/and then finally murdered

Which all opens up this vortex of very bad vibes, which is locked up for years untill that obnoxious female CEO decides to re purpose the facility

Near the end Alma's father in a fit of guilt releases the revenant of Alma, from the cold storage in which she was kept, allowing her to become even more powerful

TygerTyger
August 15th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks Garm,

your little synopsis did help. I gathered that she was used and abused and that Fettel was her son but there are suggestions that the F.E.A.R operative is also a product of this program too.

I'll take a look at the other two games as I am really enjoying this one. I am progressing on the harder setting much better than I expected but that might be because I am thinking more about the combat situations and using slomo and all the weapons more.

Getting these games at 5.80p is budget buying at its' best!