PDA

View Full Version : 40-year-old suspect held in gruesome Manitoba bus killing

Caitlin.ann
July 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM
A 40-year-old man is in custody in Manitoba after a young man was stabbed and, witnesses said, decapitated aboard a Greyhound bus travelling through the province overnight.

The RCMP would not confirm the reports of beheading, saying only that a stabbing took place around 8:30 p.m. CT on an eastbound Greyhound bus on the Trans-Canada Highway about 20 kilometres west of Portage la Prairie.

The suspect, believed to be from outside Manitoba, was arrested early Thursday morning after a standoff lasting several hours and remains in RCMP custody .

(...)

Garnet Caton, who was sitting in the seat in front of the victim, said he saw the attacker stab his seatmate, a young man sleeping with his headphones on.

Caton said he heard a "blood-curdling scream" and turned around to see the attacker holding a large "Rambo" hunting knife above the victim, "continually stabbing him in the chest area."

"He must have stabbed him 50 times or 60 times," said Caton.

"Like, just everywhere, arms, legs, neck, chest, guts, wherever he could swing it, he got it," said Olmstead.

"It looked kind of like a scuffle or an argument, you know, and then somebody's, like, 'Knife! Knife! Run!' so I was running up the alleyway, slapping people telling them to get going, move, get off the bus. I got pushed over, some lady got pushed over, I was just making sure everybody was OK, and we all got off the bus," said Olmstead

As panicked passengers fled the bus, "the attacker was over top of the victim continually cutting him. I think the victim was gone at that point," Caton said.
(...)

Link (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html)

How horrible. :(

Shawn Blackwolf
July 31st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Link (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html)

How horrible. :(

Agreed...truly horrible...

Some people just need stabbing pain , to get a head in life...:uhhuhuh:

Xander67
July 31st, 2008, 05:13 PM

:confused:

brymble
July 31st, 2008, 05:18 PM

dude that was in really poor taste. not funny, man.

Caitlin.ann
July 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM
dude that was in really poor taste. not funny, man.

That and I didn't quite get it...

Shawn Blackwolf
July 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
One...we all have a different way of veiwing life and death ,
and that which is in between...I laugh about my wife poisoning
me...with my friends , associates , and random strangers...

I do not take any of this world as seriously as most...

Some of us are not drama addicts...

Two...just use your heads...you shall see the humor...

Head...stabbing pain...connect the dots...:thumbsup:

Caitlin.ann
July 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Shawn..plese grow up a bit. This is a horrible tragedy. A young man was brutally murdered and other lives were put in danger and all you can do is joke and be a smart-alek?

I got your joke but it wasn't funny and this isn't the time nor place thats why I said "I didn't quite get it". I find that what you have said is in very poor taste indeed.

Shawn Blackwolf
July 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Shawn..plese grow up a bit. This is a horrible tragedy. A young man was brutally murdered and other lives were put in danger and all you can do is joke and be a smart-alek?

I got your joke but it wasn't funny and this isn't the time nor place thats why I said "I didn't quite get it". I find that what you have said is in very poor taste indeed.

Opinion...I am quite grown up...and Irish...and I do not see this as
any worse than many of the things going on each day...all of which
we can freak out about , or laugh about , and do our best to create
our daily world to not do these things ourselves , or let them happen
around us...

Were I there...I would have done my best to stop it...but I was not
and I do not see the lack of humor amusing...

Lighten up , and see the absurdity of this dimension...:giggle:

If I went that way...I would want people to have a good laugh...

Best thing my dead body could bring them...:thumbsup:

I celebrate life , death , and the in between...do not think others
shall think like any other of you...that is growing up...:uhhuhuh:

Against The Tide
July 31st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Poor bastards both of them. I've only heard little bits and bobs of this story but am willing to wager the attacker has mental illness because of gut feeling/case profile similar to sword attacks in the UK - this is going to make all the mildly loony people look like monsters for a bit.

I do feel sorry for victim and close ones, my heart goes out to them. I heard that the victim died pretty much on the first stab but its all rumour at the moment. The eye witness saying he must have been stabbed 60-70 times is a bit off - a) thats a heck of a lot of stabbing, stabbing the air that many times is very tiring and thats without resistance of flesh, bone, suction body will have on the knife. (EDIT to add the b) And b) who watches someone stab a person that many times without coming to that persons aid? I spit on the eye witness.

I also feel very sorry for the victim. Was this a cry for help, does he remember it at all? At least he has the proper people surrounding him before he can bring any more harm to himself or others.

RainInanna
July 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM

That is exactly the pun my dad would make about the subject - groan!

(I bet if your nick were, say, Rudas, or Stormbeard, people would've laughed at your joke :P )

Shawn Blackwolf
July 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
That is exactly the pun my dad would make about the subject - groan!

(I bet if your nick were, say, Rudas, or Stormbeard, people would've laughed at your joke :P )

Agreed...as my dad would say to me...

"You are a pain , but I can't see through you"...

( I am jest a pun star , from Punjab , N'yuck , N'yuck...)

Agaliha
July 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM

I pretty much agree.

Shawn has his right to his POV and opinion, but after just reading the whole story and imagining what that must have been like to be stabbed up to 50 times, then slowly and methodically decapitated, gutted and whatever else is too horrific for me to joke about!

Caton said the bus stopped and the passengers scrambled to disembark while the suspect allegedly began methodically carving up the man's body.
"When he was attacking him, he was calm ... like he was at the beach," Caton said. "There was no rage or, or anything. He was just like a robot stabbing the guy."
Caton said he, the bus driver and a trucker at the scene re-boarded to see what was happening.
Caton said he saw the suspect had the victim on the floor of the bus and "was cutting his head off and pretty much gutting him."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-07-31-canada_N.htm?csp=34

Poor victim. Seriously. Hopefully he was dead by them.
And all those people. They must be having massive PTSD right now. My mom said she heard a kid (kids) where there too.
It creeps me out just hearing about it!

ETA:

:wtf: Uh, no. I wouldn't have. It's not funny to me on matter who says it, not with this case.

Caitlin.ann
July 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM
I pretty much agree.

Shawn has is right to his POV and opinion, but after just reading the whole story and imagining what that must have been like to be stabbed up to 50 times, then slowly and methodically decapitated, gutted and whatever else is too horrific for me to joke about!

Poor victim. Seriously. Hopefully he was dead by them.
And all those people. They must be having massive PTSD right not. My mom said she heard a kid (kids) where there too.
It creeps me out just hearing about it!

ETA:

:wtf: Uh, no. I wouldn't have. It's not funny to me on matter who says it, not with this case.

You're right and I felt bad and began to edit what I had said but at that point Shawn had quoted me and already replied so I figured "why bother"? This stuff really does bother me as I imagine how it must have played out. That poor kid. :(

Shawn Blackwolf
July 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
You're right and I felt bad and began to edit what I had said but at that point Shawn had quoted me and already replied so I figured "why bother"? This stuff really does bother me as I imagine how it must have played out. That poor kid. :(

And I have no weird feelings , SacredSin...

We all experience these things differently...I can not get upset
about this , when so many people support soldiers going to war
every day , and killing people...or the other horrors perpetuated
by corporations , or individuals...

I would spend every day crying...like I did as a child , until I
went bananas at 18...

Now...I would rather see through the lens of the absurdity of
life on this plane of existence ( only one of many )...

And...please...if anything like this ever happens to me...

Have a good laugh...then party on for me !

Do this...in memory of me...:uhhuhuh:...:lol:...:thumbsup:

Garm
July 31st, 2008, 07:44 PM
After the puzzlement of the depedicated feet turning up on beaches this seems almost rational, at least in comparison

They are still speculating on the motive, unnecessarily IMO

A witness says the younger male was just reclining obliviously back with his headphones on when it all went down

Headphones?

Well that explains it. And I am using the word explain in a cause and effect sense here, not as a rationalization.

I'm not saying this was justified. I would have to know just what musician the assailant was being forced to listen to at second hand before I venture an opinion on that.

"There but for the grace of the almighty gods...."

Agaliha
July 31st, 2008, 08:13 PM
OMG! I missed this, I don't think it was mentioned in the articles here:

"We have word from people on the scene . . . that when the killer was alone with the body . . . that there may have been some small acts of cannibalism on the body," Oliver said.
Oliver said that police have not confirmed that, but have not denied it either.http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/Manitoba_bus_080731/20080731?hub=TopStories

Geez. It's like horror movie _inabox_

And another article:
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=7886faf4-e8e9-4217-ac1d-66563d16ec9f

ETA:

The passengers were later taken to Brandon, Man., to be interviewed by police and to stay overnight at a hotel there.
Crisis counsellors were also at the hotel to provide support to the passengers, and counsellors could be seen chatting with them outside the hotel as groups went out to local stores for snacks or to smoke cigarettes.
One small boy, who was with an adult man and woman, was given a plush teddy bear by a crisis health worker.
Another young man from Nova Scotia sat outside the Brandon hotel smoking around 3 a.m. Visibly shaken, he said RCMP had taken 36 witnesses in for questioning into a detachment approximately 100 kilometres east.
"I felt bad that all the young people and old people had to see that," he said.

Good that they're getting counseling, they're going to need it. A lot. That's not something you forget or get over. That's the sort of thing that haunts you.

brymble
July 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM
I read in one of the articles that there were children as young as 6 aboard. I have a 6-year old. I know what it is like for children having flashbacks and nightmares from lesser traumas. I also know that the Red Cross is cracker jack for immediate help in a trauma, but will pretty much drop you after a brief period, whether you've been able to have your needs met or not. I hope that these people, especially the kids, can get the help they need long-term, and that it won't be expected to just "go away" after the media hype dies down.

Struggling with the physical tiredness and emotionality of lyme disease, I'm already wiped out and laid wide open. Reading this story affected me a bit more than it ordinarily would have. I was forced to recall my children's flashbacks from the fire, and also how even in the midst of my own PTSD I had to draw upon my skills to help them. That's one thing that can be done with NLP that I never dreamed of needing or using when I took my training. Although I cannot, practically or ethically, remove or change my kids' memories of the fire, I could ease the burdens of how they experienced those memories. It's easy to read stories like this, and feel completely powerless, especially when you know that, if only with this one thing, there is something, however small, you might be able to do, but it seems beyond your reach to do so. Sometimes kids see or experience horrible things. I'm not a psychologist or clinician, but I can help kids with trauma flashbacks and nightmares - it just breaks my heart that I can't help these kids.:(

Sequoia
July 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
What a horrific act. I can't even fathom what it must have been like... let alone what the witnesses are going through.

And Shawn, buddy... poor taste. Not the right time or place. Seriously.

Rainnhawk
July 31st, 2008, 09:11 PM
What a truly shocking story... I just cannot imagine. My heart goes out to the young victim and all affected by this. :sadeyes:

Ravens_Tears
August 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
One...we all have a different way of veiwing life and death ,
and that which is in between...I laugh about my wife poisoning
me...with my friends , associates , and random strangers...

I do not take any of this world as seriously as most...

Some of us are not drama addicts...

Two...just use your heads...you shall see the humor...

Head...stabbing pain...connect the dots...:thumbsup:

Perhaps the problem with your comprehension is the amount of distance between you and this situation. You are beyond crass and inappropriate. A young man who was only starting his life, minding his own business, less than two hours from home after a more than 14 hr bus ride is BUTCHERED by a total stranger. THERE IS NO HUMOUR HERE IN WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. There is absolutely nothing funny about it. Children were witness to this, they will be emotionally scarred. Anyone with any conscience would be... And it appears that the only drama addict is you, as you were the only one compelled to pointedly bring attention to yourself by making a joke of something utterably tragic and senseless. Please have some respect for someone else even if you have none for yourself.

Phoenix Blue
August 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Were I there...I would have done my best to stop it...but I was not
and I do not see the lack of humor amusing...

Lighten up , and see the absurdity of this dimension...
ADMIN MODE

What's absurd is joking about someone's brutal murder. Show some respect to the members of this community, the dead and those who had to witness the deed -- if you must make tasteless jokes, make them on some other Web site.

Thread closed.

GEBS
August 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I feel the need to add my post from the admin forum to this thread.

ADMIN MODE

What's absurd is joking about someone's brutal murder. Show some respect to the members of this community, the dead and those who had to witness the deed -- if you must make tasteless jokes, make them on some other Web site.

Thread closed.

I read it as poking fun at the situation - since that's his was of dealing with painful or uncomfortable situations. I don't see it any different than what medics say about some of their patients as the leave the ER. People handle things differently. I don't believe he wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I don't feel he deserved to be adminned. I don't think the thread should have been closed. I think there should have been a general admin mode to remind people to discuss the story and not Shawn.

After discussion with mol I am reversing the infraction and issuing an infraction against Ravens Tears.

I realize this is probably not going to go over well with you guys but we have to stop letting our personal feelings dictate how we admin. It was tasteless, yes. But it didn't break our rule in our interpretation.

Perhaps the problem with your comprehension is the amount of distance between you and this situation. You are beyond crass and inappropriate. A young man who was only starting his life, minding his own business, less than two hours from home after a more than 14 hr bus ride is BUTCHERED by a total stranger. THERE IS NO HUMOUR HERE IN WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. There is absolutely nothing funny about it. Children were witness to this, they will be emotionally scarred. Anyone with any conscience would be... And it appears that the only drama addict is you, as you were the only one compelled to pointedly bring attention to yourself by making a joke of something utterably tragic and senseless. Please have some respect for someone else even if you have none for yourself.

I understand that you are upset but that doesn't excuse you from obeying our Rule.