PDA

View Full Version : ur view on the blair witch movies

Sephiroth
May 9th, 2001, 12:48 PM
what is ur view on the blair witcvh movies. i think that the second movie was better. because it had a wiccan in it. :D 8O but thats me. so i would like to know how others felt about the movie.

Kaylara
May 9th, 2001, 12:56 PM
The wiccan in that movie was a completly flaky moron, who they eventually blamed the crimes on any ways. I think that they first movie was good to watch in the movie theatre, but not at home, and not if you are not used to watching documentaries.
I really hated the second movie. It just sucked, the goth and the wiccan were made to be sterotypical, and the wiccan like I said before, was a complete flake...

Kaylara

gunner
May 9th, 2001, 01:12 PM
thanks kaylara, you confirmed my thoughts and saved me $12.00

("you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $6.00 goodbye)

Xois
May 9th, 2001, 01:19 PM
I LOVED the first one

but i think it is one of those movies you have to see in a theatre. 1 woman actually vomited she was so frightened and someone else got up and left in hysterics.

You get really involved with the general tension of other people in the movie theatre so it depended on (for me) what others were thinking about it

I saw it when it opened, and many people still throught it was "for real"

Cheers
Xois

Amethyst Rose
May 9th, 2001, 02:35 PM
I never saw the second one, so my vote was for the first movie only....
I thought is was a really good movie, and very creepy. It left my hubby and me scared of the dark for a while. :)
It really bugs me when people say that it sucked because of the camera work..... that's what made the movie! Anyway, I'm rambling :).

Earth Walker
May 9th, 2001, 02:52 PM
I've heard good things about the 1st movie(from them what
knows), but that the 2nd movie sucked big time.

Why fear ye the Dark Queen, oh men?
She is your renewer?
--Dion Fortune

bluecat
May 9th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Both of them were a waste of my money ... like gunner sez:
[quote] ("you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $6.00 goodbye) [\quote]

What got me was the audacity to make the thing and then all of the games and BS that came afterwards. On thing though, you've gotta hand it to the guys who made it, they made a bundle!

The tattoo artist I use actually had someone come in after the movie and get a tattoo of the little stick guys and some script she told him it was "Wiccan Language" ....

Blue

Amethyst Rose
May 9th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Well, that's theban script in the tatoo..... I guess you could call it "wiccan language" but that's a bit of a blanket statement....

gunner
May 9th, 2001, 03:26 PM
interesting, somewhere around i've got a novel that gives another version of a "witches alphabet" i'll try to dig it out and make a scannable copy.

(did i ever mention something over 2,000 sci-fi and fantasty titles around the house?)

Amethyst Rose
May 9th, 2001, 03:38 PM
In case anyone is interested....

I tried to figure out what that tatoo said, but I couldn't make out the last symbol....
This is what I came up with:

NOCTICU ...... I'm guessing it could have been NOCTICUM????

bluecat
May 9th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Amethyst Rose
In case anyone is interested....

I tried to figure out what that tatoo said, but I couldn't make out the last symbol....
This is what I came up with:

NOCTICU ...... I'm guessing it could have been NOCTICUM????

Interesting, what does it mean?

Blue

Kaylara
May 9th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Noctum means night in Latin...(Or is that greek... no, I think it is Latin.)
Carpe Noctum= Seize the Night...
Hee hee hee....

Kaylara

bluecat
May 9th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Kaylara
Noctum means night in Latin...(Or is that greek... no, I think it is Latin.)
Carpe Noctum= Seize the Night...
Hee hee hee....

Kaylara

I know that part ... was wondering about the variant she had there ... If it had a meaning about something in the night, etc . ;)

Blue

Rick
May 9th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Didn't waste my money on #2... all I remember about #1 was HoneyGirl & I chanting over & over "Kill the whiny b!+(# next! Kill the whiny b!+(# next!"...

Mairwen
May 9th, 2001, 05:14 PM
FWIW, I had no desire to see the second film ~ felt it a waste of time and celluloid. The first movie was a good make-out movie, and that's about it. :D

8O It just wasn't plausible. Anybody who grew up in a foresty-area, such as myself, could watch the movie and see "state road breaks" in those woods, and other marks that a person could follow in the event of getting lost. Give me a break.

Earth Walker
May 9th, 2001, 06:56 PM
I borrowed the 1st movie from a neighbor, and was very
disappointed.
I should learn not to take first opinions at face value.

Why fear ye the Dark Queen, oh men?
She is your renewer.
--Dion Fortune

random
May 9th, 2001, 07:40 PM
The first one sucked!
its not because of the camera work, it just sucked.
I don't even want to see the second one, I heard there was a goth portrayed in it, and when the movies try to obtain that view, it just dosen't work..

a "friend" of mine is trying to get me to see "book of shadows", i might rent it, but im not gonna go to the theatre. besides, the next time i go to the theatre will be for star wars, not some BS. i might see it just to get her to shutt up.. anyway, yea.

christy

Elaine
May 9th, 2001, 11:40 PM
You may all hate me...but I have to say that I liked both of them...I saw the first one in the theater 3 times and was scared to go to the bathroom by myself afterwards!! (even after the 3rd time!!) I saw the 2nd one in the theater once....I own #1 on Vhs and #2 on dvd (although I must add that I did not pay for it...it was a freeby I got from work!!)....I agree that the goth and the wiccan were both stereotypical flakes.....and I didn't think #2 was very scary...I don't know...I think I'm just hard to dissapoint when it comes to movies!! I enjoyed them both....they just entertain me for some reason...I think #1 did because I heard that they had no script....I heard that they were just told a basic outline of what was going to happen and what they were supposed to do and specific lines they were supposed to say were left in baskets along the way....I don't know how true that is...but it was interesting to me...anyways, now I'm babbling!!!:rolleyes:

bluecat
May 9th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Elaine
You may all hate me...but I have to say that I liked both of them...I saw the first one in the theater 3 times and was scared to go to the bathroom by myself afterwards!! (even after the 3rd time!!) I saw the 2nd one in the theater once....I own #1 on Vhs and #2 on dvd (although I must add that I did not pay for it...it was a freeby I got from work!!)....I agree that the goth and the wiccan were both stereotypical flakes.....and I didn't think #2 was very scary...I don't know...I think I'm just hard to dissapoint when it comes to movies!! I enjoyed them both....they just entertain me for some reason...I think #1 did because I heard that they had no script....I heard that they were just told a basic outline of what was going to happen and what they were supposed to do and specific lines they were supposed to say were left in baskets along the way....I don't know how true that is...but it was interesting to me...anyways, now I'm babbling!!!:rolleyes:

I'm not going to hate you because you liked what I thought was a crappy movie, we just don't agree on it, that's all. :)

Blue :cool:

Elaine
May 10th, 2001, 12:19 AM
I'm glad you don't hate me:D

gunner
May 10th, 2001, 12:25 AM
around here you have to really work at it to be hated, i've seen nobody so far that has earned it, nor do i expect to any time soon.

Elaine
May 10th, 2001, 12:32 AM
I've never seen anyone be hated around here either....I just don't want to be the first!!!!!:):)

gunner
May 10th, 2001, 12:47 AM
elaine luv, you're not even close to being a candidate for "hated person" nor is anyone else i know of.

Armitage
May 10th, 2001, 12:52 AM
Okay, I give. I loved the first one. It scared the snot out of me. ^_^
The second one was crappy, but it could've been good if they'd tried harder to attain quality. It was weird which was ok, the characters sucked mostly, though I liked the paranoid guy, and it had some interesting imagery which redeemed it slightly.

Acie
May 10th, 2001, 01:10 AM
I personally thought the movie stunk. It took all I had not to get up and leave, had I been alone I would have. Others may have liked it because as we all know, we all have different tastes. I would say if you haven't seen it, go see it, then you can make an informed decision on wether or not it is worth seeing. Or you can go along with the popular verdict wich is that it wasn't any good... :)

Elaine
May 10th, 2001, 04:15 AM
ahhhh thanks gunner...I think I'm gonna cry now8O
:D
I liked the 2nd one cuz they didn't try to copy the first one just using new people...I liked .....hmmmm I don't know what I liked...I think I'm just hard to disappoint!!:D I didn't think it was at all scary though....just strange!! In my opinion....if there are movies out there that you don't like, you probably won't like this one....but if you tend to like everything...like me...you should like it!!;)

reanna
May 11th, 2001, 01:59 AM
I havn't seen either one and don't really have much interest in seeing them at all.

:) :) :)

Lavender
May 11th, 2001, 02:12 AM
There wasn't an option for haven't seen the movie...so here's another vote for haven't seen it & not planning to. I am planning to see the Craft, though, after all the talk here about it.

Elaine
May 11th, 2001, 02:47 AM
as far as Wicca and Witchcraft is concerned it is a joke as far as I'm concerned.....imo anyways!! I liked the movie for entertainment value though.....I own that on dvd also...:)

sherry
May 11th, 2001, 09:06 AM
I saw the first one and hated it!! the scariest part was all the screaming !! They would scream like that and I would jump !!

Then again I guess I am a sis because I dont care for those kind of movies!! anything with cult lies, hacking killings and death is not entertainment to me!! I guess I would rather get into the comedy, and mushy movies and go home with a good feeling instead of someone making me throw the popcorn in the air

And 15 minutes of watching her nose run was disgusting !!
I also thought at first the boy in the basemant was going to the bathroom ! LOL

idusty88
May 11th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Haven't seen 'em and no plans to anytime soon. Although I may pick up the tape of The Blair Bitch Project (http://www.blairbitch.com/) with Linda Blair. It looks funny and she is cool.

Faery-Wings
May 11th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Then again I guess I am a sis because I dont care for those kind of movies!! anything with cult lies, hacking killings and death is not entertainment to me!! I guess I would rather get into the comedy, and mushy movies and go home with a good feeling instead of someone making me throw the popcorn in the air

I totally agree! I feel that there is so much bad stuff in real life, who needs to go to the movies to see some more? I like things that make me laugh.

Hey, has anyone heard much about A Knight's Tale? Looks great from the commercials and I heard it was very lighthearted yet intense (eg. playing We Will Rock You before a medieval joust). And Heath Ledger......YUM!

Chris
:sunny:

Elaine
May 12th, 2001, 08:34 AM
my husband also bought something on dvd called the "Erotic Witch Project"....I haven't seen it, but he tells me it's good:crazy: :D

Heath Ledger......YUM!

Heath Ledger is like #2 on my list....(#1 is Jeff Hardy from the WWF) mmmmmm...."I own Ten Things I Hate About You" on dvd and vhs and watch it at least 2 or 3 times a week.....I feel like a 12 year old girl when I watch it....looking at Heath makes me so happy....I can't wait to see Knights Tale:):D ;) :p :cool: :crazy: :D :elf:

Amora
May 14th, 2001, 09:56 AM
I loved the first movie and although I am ashamed I believed it was real for a little while(wince:eek:). I haven't seen the second one but the first one was pretty ingenious if you ask me. It looked pretty believable. I mean the footage was so terrible only a rookie could have shot it...great idea.

Earth Walker
May 14th, 2001, 04:17 PM
my husband also bought something on dvd called the "Erotic Witch Project"....I haven't seen it, but he tells me it's good:crazy: :D

Heath Ledger is like #2 on my list....(#1 is Jeff Hardy from the WWF) mmmmmm...."I own Ten Things I Hate About You" on dvd and vhs and watch it at least 2 or 3 times a week.....I feel like a 12 year old girl when I watch it....looking at Heath makes me so happy....I can't wait to see Knights Tale:):D ;) :p :cool: :crazy: :D :elf:

A movie to see.

The Bare Wench Project :eek:
On DVD
At amazon.com
$21.49 Used price, $14.79
Not for sale to those under 18

eaglewolf
May 14th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Mystique

A movie to see.

The Bare Wench Project :eek:
On DVD
At amazon.com
$21.49 Used price, $14.79
Not for sale to those under 18

Now we're talkin'!

~ew

Elaine
May 15th, 2001, 01:42 AM
I didn't mean to start something here:) hehehe....I'm sure my husband will be happy to hear about that one:)

Jazzmine
May 18th, 2001, 05:35 PM
My son bought the movie on the assumption that it was good. He watched it and told me not to even bother watching it that it was a waste of 2 hours of his life. :D So far we've had the same opinion about most things so I took his word for it and didn't watch it.

gunner
May 18th, 2001, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sherry

" I guess I am a sis because I dont care for those kind of movies!! anything with cult lies, hacking killings and death is not entertainment to me!!"

then i guess i'm one too sherry, standing here with a gun on my belt saying i don't like movies that exploit and glorify violence, murder and butchery. making "heroes" out of nasty little psychotics and sociopaths. the same for "war movies" whose sole purpose seems to be portraying soldiers as hapless boobs who only win because the enemy is even dumber, or borderline psychotics enjoying a chance to kill legally. hollywood's guns shoot blanks, mine don't and i'm not any kind of eager to use them. unlike the hollywood types i know what a bullet or knife can do. oops, sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant. enough to say i agree with sherry.

Earth Walker
May 18th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by idusty88
Haven't seen 'em and no plans to anytime soon. Although I may pick up the tape of The Blair Bitch Project (http://www.blairbitch.com/) with Linda Blair. It looks funny and she is cool.

...where I could pick up a copy of The Blair Bitch Project?
I have looked around and I am unable to find it. :(

For those who love, time is eternity....

MammaStar
May 19th, 2001, 12:25 AM
I saw the first one. I kind of didn't like it until the very end. My problem was, that "MIKE" was actually a guy named Mike that me and my sister-in-law hung out with when we were kids. So, it was hard for me to watch him up there acting goofy. Not that he didn't act goofy back then :D

So, after the first one, I haven't wasted my time on the second. Maybe when it comes on HBO or something I'll watch it.

Armitage
May 19th, 2001, 02:40 AM
The girl in it graduated with some friends of mine from a HS I've been to. Small world, huh? ^_^

idusty88
May 23rd, 2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Mystique

...where I could pick up a copy of The Blair Bitch Project?
I have looked around and I am unable to find it. :(

For those who love, time is eternity....

Click on the link or try amazon.com

Dria El
May 25th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jazzmine
My son bought the movie on the assumption that it was good. He watched it and told me not to even bother watching it that it was a waste of 2 hours of his life. :D

With all the hype it got I rented the first one for Halloween that year. I totally agree with your son. It was the absolute worst movie I've ever seen. It was in NO WAY believable to anyone who's spent ANY time in the woods camping. It was so bad I refuse to waste another $3 (and 2 hours) to watch the second. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion of course... :D

Dria El

idusty88
May 25th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Heath Ledger is like #2 on my list....looking at Heath makes me so happy....I can't wait to see Knights Tale:):D ;) :p :cool: :crazy: :D :elf:
He is a cutie!
I first noticed him in "Roar", which was a mini series over the summer a few years back on Fox or WB or UPN (?). A very good show too. It was set in druidic Ireland. I'm glad to see him get more work.

Elaine
May 25th, 2001, 04:35 PM
idusty88- I completely missed Roar...I didn't know about it until I visited a website about Heath....boy was I upset when I found out he was on a series!! I guess he was on another series that ran just in Australia as well...would have loved to see that one too!!! I hope he gets more work from Knights Tale....btw...it was a wonderful movie...I don't recommend it to any of the guys around...but if you like "chick movies" you'll love Knight's Tale....there was some cheezieness to it...(especially the first scene!!) but overall I thought it was wonderful...(heath looks very good!!!) :D I can't wait to buy it!!!! I had dreams about Heath after seeing this movie....(geez...you'd never know I was married by the way I talk about him!!! I sound like a 13 year old school girl!!) :D

Jazzmine
May 30th, 2001, 04:28 PM
That was a good series. It seems they always have a way of getting rid of the best shows. I really liked that one.:(

Apotheosis
May 30th, 2001, 05:22 PM
I like movies.

I love movies.

I just wanted to warn you. Half of my favorite movies of all time have subtitles. I enjoy long dramas with bizzare ending. I like creativity in direction and editing. I know what mise en scene means.

I really love movies.

The Blair Witch Project 1 and 2 are great films, the first much more so than the second.

The first film features an undeniably unique style, and excellent 'improv' acting, and utterly unobtrusive editing. You can buy that it is a documentary. If you can buy into it, it scares the bejesus out of you. First time I saw it I had my eyes half covered through the final scene, and drank half a bottle of 16 year old scotch to quel my nerves. (My movie viewing buddy of the day drank the other half). Oh, its very easy to criticise the film. If you don't like a challenging film, you will not like this. (Although the criticism of "If you've ever camped, you won't buy this" seems a bit off. What, they didn't capture the nuances of tent set-up?)

The second film scraps the unique style, and dips into the pool of regular old cinematograpy. It has nothing to do with the first movie at all. It is not a sequel. It is a story about the perceptions of an armada of sterotypical characters. As such, it becomes easy to identify with the happy crew, and the twisted psychological thriller than unfolds can really surprise you. The ending is about as dark as dark endings come. I was very disturbed by it all. It can be a rough ride, but offers a film that is rare to find - a film that highlights the darkness that rides in every persons soul. While really not half as daring as the first movie, and as such not half as rewarding, its a nice change of pace from the usual fare. My only gripe is that the subtitle, Book of Shadows, has exactly ZERO to do with the film. Oh, one mroe think, I've met Goths and Wiccans just like the ones in this movie. Considering the sort of people that would GO on the "Blair Witch Tour", I tottaly accept these people as realistic.

Dria El
May 30th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Apotheosis
(Although the criticism of "If you've ever camped, you won't buy this" seems a bit off. What, they didn't capture the nuances of tent set-up?)

No, actually, it was the echoing. If you've ever spent any time in the woods, you'd know that with as loud as that was, you would have seen them.

Dria El

Apotheosis
May 30th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dria El

No, actually, it was the echoing. If you've ever spent any time in the woods, you'd know that with as loud as that was, you would have seen them.

Dria El

Uh, I'm sorry, seen who?

Dria El
May 30th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Their friend(s) and whoever else that was doing the yelling, etc.

Dria El

Apotheosis
May 31st, 2001, 11:27 AM
That was the evil dark magic of the woods at work.

:-)

Dria El
May 31st, 2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Apotheosis
That was the evil dark magic of the woods at work.

:-)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Ok! I seeeeee! lol <shakes head>

Dria El

Apotheosis
May 31st, 2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Dria El

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Ok! I seeeeee! lol <shakes head>

Dria El

Laugh.

Suspension of disbelief has been suspended pending a review by a comitee.

MystyPines
June 7th, 2001, 01:37 PM
I have not seen either of the (2) Blair Witch movies. After seeing, The Craft years ago, I figured this would be another "hokie" set of movies. Does the Blair Witch 1 movie have anything to do with Witchcraft or Witches?

Apotheosis
June 7th, 2001, 02:18 PM
While there is a Wiccan character in Blair Witch 2, these movies are not about moden day Witchcraft, but instead about a haunting "witch" spirit.

MystyPines
June 7th, 2001, 02:25 PM
So does it depict the Witch in a negative way? Let me guess, she kills everyone? he he he, those darn Witches :D Actually, with regard to The Craft movie, I did like the woman at the new age bookstore charging the candle, she made some smart comments about 3-fold. That's about it. Oh, and I like that Catholic school girl skirt look with the black thigh hi's stockings, he he he.:eek:

eaglewolf
June 7th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by MystyPines
Oh, and I like .... black thigh hi's stockings

...mmm... black thigh high stockings... sorry!

:p

~ew

MystyPines
June 7th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Eaglewolf, lol, he he he. Hey I think I have a pic of me wearing that outfit, maybe I should post it with the Pic Thread, Nah, better not. ;)

eaglewolf
June 7th, 2001, 04:30 PM
I have to disagree with that whole "not posting" thing... but that's just me.

:D

~ew

Lucidia
June 7th, 2001, 04:35 PM
well i didn't see the first one... everyone i know said it sucked and i found out very quickly it was obviously not real (which was the only interesting possiblity IMHO).

i saw the second one with Kaylara... and i share her opinion on the movie.

Dawa Lhamo
December 6th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Eh, since the poll resurrected this, I might as well reply:

I just saw the first. I found it to be mildly frightening, just for that last scene in the basement. The whole movie I was thinking, "Just follow the damned river!!! It will eventually lead you out!!!" I was frustrated that they were so stupid.

One good thing about it though is that it makes for some fun jokes. Especially when you go camping at a Pagan festival not too long after it comes out. ^_^ You can bet we were hanging stick-men from trees and piling rocks and going "What the eff was that?"...witches in the woods... hehehe

Ah well...

Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

Astara Seague
December 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
those movies ...so stupid!:aburst:

serenarian
January 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I saw both movies when they came out, and I really liked them both. I thought they were bad from a witch's point of view, but the idea was interesting and the directors filmed the first one very cleverly indeed - they didn't tell the actors what to expect so a lot of the fear is real. The second one was a bit more 'Hollywood', so a bit different, and the Wiccan was a letdown - a bit of a flake, like others have said - but I think it was a logical progression from the first movie.

morningstar2651
January 7th, 2006, 02:33 PM
what is ur view on the blair witcvh movies. i think that the second movie was better. because it had a wiccan in it. :D 8O but thats me. so i would like to know how others felt about the movie.
I never watched the second one. The first one was over-hyped crap and made me physically ill with the shoddy camera work, the crappy acting, and the BS ending.