PDA

View Full Version : Meditation with Tinnitus

Loukhos
August 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I have tinnitus (ringing sound) in my right ear. I have always wanted to start meditating but I just can't seem to ignore the ringing in my ear; it is so irritating that I just can' sit and do nothing. It's fairly loud; I used to be able to tune it out if I had white noise in the background, but it is louder now and that doesn't work anymore. I can generally tune it out when I'm busy, but when I'm trying to meditate, or sleep I just can't ignore it.

Does anyone with tinnitus have any pointers how to get past the ringing so I can start meditating?

Thanks!

Lunacie
August 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have ADHD and have a very difficult time in meditating. Focusing on breathing just seems to make everything (including the mild tinnitis I have) more bothersome. Focusing on a visual like walking down a set of stairs and counting them as I go, or visualizing climbing a set of stairs that change colors (like a rainbow or the chakra colors) helps.

But what I find most helpful is to do a Guided Meditation from tape or Active Meditation while walking or doing something boring and repetative like mowing the yard. Even a rocking chair can help to focus the mind on being still and allowing us to hear the voice of the divine.

I bought a simple cassette recorder to use for Guided Meditations during our group rituals. I used a ritual I found online and even though it took a couple of tries to get it right (the first recorder was screwey and had to go back to the store so I had to try again), when I sat down with the group during the ritual inside the Sacred Circle and listened to the tape, the fact that I was already familiar with the meditation didn't seem to make any difference. It was a good experience.

sleeping
August 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
i have mild tinnitus also, and it can be quite distracting.

what might be good, though, is instead of tuning out a constant sound, tune into it. listen to it and what makes it up and perhaps try to, in your mind, turn it into another sound or concentrate on 'pulling it apart' so to speak. From there you might be able to adjust to it, or piece together some silence for yourself.

when i hear sounds, or feel something when i am trying to concentrate, or at any other time, i'll stop and try to hone in on the feeling or sound and see what makes it up. Sometimes it doesn't work, but at times it helps a little.

Astara Seague
August 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
i have mild tinnitus also, and it can be quite distracting.

what might be good, though, is instead of tuning out a constant sound, tune into it. listen to it and what makes it up and perhaps try to, in your mind, turn it into another sound or concentrate on 'pulling it apart' so to speak. From there you might be able to adjust to it, or piece together some silence for yourself.

when i hear sounds, or feel something when i am trying to concentrate, or at any other time, i'll stop and try to hone in on the feeling or sound and see what makes it up. Sometimes it doesn't work, but at times it helps a little.
I was going to suggest that as well
although I dont have tinnitus it makes sense that something like that would work:thumbsup:good suggestion sleeping

Loukhos
August 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thank you for the replies. Maybe meditation will help me deal with the tinnitus as well. It's been getting under my skin lately.

sleeping
August 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
thanks, Astara.

i hope you do manage to figure something out, Loukhos.
good luck

aluokaloo
August 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have a suggestion, how about tuning into it instead like a tuning fork? or maybe try to meditative with heavier sounds/music, sometimes I meditate with heavy metal music, that might block it out. just suggestions. good luck.

WulfcwenStar
August 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have pure tinnitus in both ears a high pitched ringing that never goes away. I sometimes use music to meditate to as this helps tune down the tinnitus, other times I tune into the ringing and allow it sweep over me thinking of tiny high pitched bells or wind chimes.Sometimes if it is windy outside I allow this to be part of my meditation I can concentrate on that and tune down the tinnitus that way.
It is not an easy thing to live with and I sympathise with you it can drive me to distraction when it changes pitch and gets louder. It is also causing hearing problems as I cannot always hear what people say when in a noisy environment, eg TV is on, Music playing, kettle is on, or someone (DH) walking in front of me talking to me, or on a busy street. Yup tinnitus can be a real problem. White noise does nothing for me except to drive me up the wall.