PDA

View Full Version : Getting pregnant

blueangel
August 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM
My fiance and I have agreed that we'd like a baby quite soon after we're married but I'm worried I won't be able to become pregnant. I've got PCOS and don't have periods normally so my doc thinks I don't release eggs. Has anyone else still become pregnant naturally with this sort of thing? It's bothering me but I know the doc won't do anything until we've been trying for a long while e.g. one year unless we pay for it, but it seems daft to pay for it if it can happen on its own.

I've been living with this worry for about 8 years but since children weren't on the cards before it wasn't too bad. Now I'm worrying, whihc is stupid but maybe there's somethings I could do to encourage myself to get pregnant?

Seren_
August 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I used to work for a local newspaper and my colleague (who I job shared with) had PCOS. She was a member of a local PCOS group and we covered them as a feature in the paper. Most of the women had children - it was a struggle for most of them to conceive (some had no trouble at all), but they all advocated a particular sort of diet that was apparently very beneficial for women with PCOS - it helped them lose weight, as well, as it's very difficult to do.

Jamie Oliver's wife has PCOS, I'm sure, and they have kids...

If you're worried, talk to your doctor. He or she might be able to put you in touch with a local support group and if you ask, they can do tests to see whether you're ovulating or not (although they might not do it straight away, they might wait until you've been actively trying to conceive for a while). Perhaps your doctor might suggest going on a treatment for PCOS? A friend of mine has it and I think it was a hormone therapy she took when she was first diagnosed, to help regulate her periods and hormone levels. She never wants to have children, though, so she didn't see the point in continuing it. If you let your doctor know you're thinking of trying to conceive, they'll be able to advise you on the best course of action. It's never too early to talk to your GP.

Good luck :hugz:

cyndianna
August 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Do you have periods at all?
If you do, there's a good chance!
I have PCOS. My periods are 45 days to 160 days apart. I also have two daughters. They are 41/2 years apart. There was a lot of trying in between (and THAT was an emotional roller coaster for me). Since then, no babies- and my "baby" is 10. Because I already have two, I just figure that it's the Lady's will that am done having children. blueangel, relax, don't worry, and try for a year. If it doesnt' happen on its own, get the help available to you.
I seem to get some help by taking evening primrose oil ervery day, and also 2-3 cups of raspberry leaf or female toner teas.
Also, moderate exercise seems to help with keeping the periods going, I'm not sure why.

Brightshores
August 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I have PCOS and also have a healthy 5 month old son. I hadn't had a natural period for 10 years before my son was conceived, and hadn't had any period at all for 1 1/2 years.

I conceived through a combination of using a fertility monitor (expensive but totally worth it), the medication metformin, and losing weight and (trying to) following a low-glycemic-index diet.

Check out www.soulcysters.net (http://www.soulcysters.net) - a very helpful site for women with PCOS.

It is possible, and you can do it. :hugz: Good luck to you - please feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

synopa
August 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I have it, so far I dont have children. But I know several women who do. I take metformin. I would love to hear the diet the second poster mentioned. Ive heard of it before but never any details.

Ceres
August 11th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I was told I didnt ovulate regularly by a doctor when I was 19. It was taking a long time for me to conceive (13 months) My periods were long - about 37-40 days. My partner wasnt even tested. When we split up and I went to marry someone else, I told my present husband we could forget BC because I dont ovulate very often and wouldnt ya know it? I was pregnant in 2 months. After that I got to know my own body and after a little research discovered how to find out when I ovulate and I was able to conceive on cue the next times. The doctor never bothered explaining and of that :rolleyes:

RainInanna
August 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have no advice, just wanted to let you know we are here to support you and listen if you need to talk/worry/complain/rant/etc. The ladies here are great :)

moonchild
August 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I don't know anything about PCOS but there is a really good book about conceiving out there called Take Charge of your Fertility which talks about all the stuff no one tells you about in TTC. it is an awesome book and may be able to help with charting and such.

blueangel
August 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Wow! Everyone you're so kind! Just reading through the posts has made me feel better, and the title of that website 'Soul Cysters' made me laugh out loud! It looks really positive so thanks again.

Moonrise
August 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I have been a host on a fertility board for a few years now, as well as dealing with fertility issues myself following a tubal reversal.
PCOS does interfere with ovulation because there is an increased level of testosterone which interferes with estrogen.
Estrogen is needed to grow the eggs to maturation in the follicles.
If eggs do not grow, they will not be released. If they are not released (no ovulation) then there is no progesterone produced by the corpus luteum (sac left over after the egg erupts) and it is the progesterone from the corpus luteum that builds up the uterine lining. The build up of uterine lining is then shed about 14 days after ovulation (period) if no pregnancy occurs.

I have seen many many women become fertile with PCOS.
Fertility monitors can be great, but costly and not often recommended with PCOS, reason being because fertility monitors detect the rise and fall of certain hormones. With PCOS, your body will gear up to ovulate sometimes multiple times in one cycle, but due to the hormonal imbalance, ovulation will not occur.
Soo... you can get multiple peak readings on the monitor.
A less expensive measure is taking your temp every morning when you get up and recording it on a site like fertilityfriend.com.
This will not tell you so much when you WILL ovulate when you have PCOS, but if you combine its use with opks or a fertility monitor or even just on its own, it will tell you for sure when you DID ovulte, because after ovulation, your basal body temp spikes up and stays elevated until you get your period, or stays up if you are pregnant.
Metformin and clomid are two different ways of helping ovulation occur.
OFten the doctor will try you on clomid first, for five days, either days 5-9 or 3-7. This Clomid is estrogenic and should help your body grow those eggies :D
Metformin is also used with much success to regulate cycles. And neither of these meds his horribly expensive.
Best of luck! TTc is such a roller coaster ride for the emotions!