PDA

View Full Version : anyone making jam and pickles

BearDancing
August 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I am doing tons of it....my favorite jam is raspberry jelly or pincherry jelly

my favorite pickles are beet pickles....I have a great recipe if anyone is interested...actually I was very late last year and I pickled my beets in late Sept and they were great.....usually do them mid Aug....:boing:

banondraig
August 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I've been wanting to, but don't have the equipment as yet.

)O( ~ Khara~ )O(
August 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I pickled 8 jars of hot peppers. Only ended up with 10 jars of sauerkraut this year. I am debating whether to take the kimchi out a bit early as I'm afraid it will end up really really hot!

I didn't do cucumber or beet pickles this year, had a massive amount last year and still a lot left..

misty
August 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
A few years ago I was a jam and jelly making fool :). I need to do some this fall if I have time.

Skatha
August 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I've been thinking about trying my hand at jam/jelly making this fall. If anyone has any good/easy recipes, I'd be incredibly greatful!!! I'm a jam/jelly addict! I love all kinds, so any recipe will make me happy! Thanks!

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I've been wanting to, but don't have the equipment as yet.

You do not need much....pot to boil....jars/lids to put the jam in and a seive if you are making jelly....I use old pillow cases (clean) to strain the pulp from the juice....

this afternoon am picking some pin cherries for jelly...all those yuckie tasting berries make great jam...I never would have thought to make pin cherry, choke cherry or cranberry (highbush) but my mom did and they are great....they are so sour and bitter off the tree....

My dad picked me a ton of cranberries one year and I made juice....I mixed it with ginger ale and ice for a nice summer drink...

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I've been thinking about trying my hand at jam/jelly making this fall. If anyone has any good/easy recipes, I'd be incredibly greatful!!! I'm a jam/jelly addict! I love all kinds, so any recipe will make me happy! Thanks!

for any kind of jelly you just have to crush the berries and then seive them through a collender (can add about 1/2 cup of water if you want)....use some cheesecloth(three thick) or an old pillow case to put the berries in...then in the collander...over a pot and just let them drip...do not squeeze as that will make the jam cloudy for some reason...just be patient and let them drip....whenI do plums or apples (gently boil first with some water) it takes 3 days for it to drip because there is soooo much...I use a broom stick and tie the pillow case onto the stick and hang it over a big pail....cover the whole thing with an old sheet or something because if you have any fruit flies...or flies they will get into the pail...or if you like protien in your jelly go for it...

after you get the juice...get a package of certo from the store...follow the directions...very easy boil add sugar and certo then put into cleaned jars..
put all the sugar recommended as it will not set....if you want less sugar make the freezer jam it is even easier....

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM

maybe I can send you a jar or two when I get them all done....or does anyone want to swap a jar or two.....

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I pickled 8 jars of hot peppers. Only ended up with 10 jars of sauerkraut this year. I am debating whether to take the kimchi out a bit early as I'm afraid it will end up really really hot!

I didn't do cucumber or beet pickles this year, had a massive amount last year and still a lot left..

what is kimchi????

Skatha
August 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Thank you so much for the tips! I'd love to try a jar of your home made goodies! Here's a totally weird and silly question: when you strain the berries through a pillowcase, is there a chance that the taste of detergent will get on them? :hehehe: I'm such a wierdo when it comes to silly things like that!

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I never have...but to make sure....put it through the rinse cycle megga times until you feel good about it....or boil it...

I will help you make jam...any questions just ask or PM me

alwaysfallingup
August 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I just finished my first round of canning. I did salsa, relish, and spaghetti sauce. I also went over to my Nana's and learned to use the pressure canner so that I can lots of things that I couldn't do in a hot water bath. I've been freezing some of my veggies (peppers, onions, etc) and am planning on making apple butter, strawberry jam, and canning some more diced tomatoes and sauce in the next week or two.:thumbsup: I feel so industrious!

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Loving canned tomatoes...mine are not red yet...wah wah:weirdsmil

halfwaynowhere
August 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I've done a lot of jellies, and recently I've made mulberry jam, apricot jam, and peach jam. Delicious.
I really want to try my hand at pickles next... Just have to get around to it...

A preserved foods swap would be really interesting...

Skatha
August 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I never have...but to make sure....put it through the rinse cycle megga times until you feel good about it....or boil it...

I will help you make jam...any questions just ask or PM me

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

BearDancing
August 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I've done a lot of jellies, and recently I've made mulberry jam, apricot jam, and peach jam. Delicious.
I really want to try my hand at pickles next... Just have to get around to it...

A preserved foods swap would be really interesting...

Am loving those jellies...yum yum...

Arinya
August 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I made sweet pickles last week. So so so easy and delicious! Not traditonally canned though, so they'd only last a few months and have to be refridgerated. But still, fantastically yummy and simple to do.

)O( ~ Khara~ )O(
August 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
what is kimchi????

Kimchi is fermented vegetables. It is a Korean "delicacy" now, was once the only way they could store their vegetables and was something mainly the peasants ate.

This placehttp://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/UltimateKimchi.html has a great explanation and a decent recipe.

I "pickle" mine the same way I make my sauerkraut. I used a lot of different hot peppers though, so I bring it out and into jars earlier than I do the kraut.

Brigid Rowan
August 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Kimchi is yummy.

And so is apple butter.

I actually was telling Hubby last night how I used to (pre-Hubby) make chutney in the fall, enough to last all year. He was suitably impressed, and Im feeling inspired to do it again, thanks to this thread.

I used to do apple butter in a huge, 100 yo cauldron, over two days, the first day being over a fire outdoors...it was great fun, and usually netted about 50 mason jars of apple butter. The chutney was around 10-12 jars.

banondraig
August 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
mmmm . . . apple butter . . .