PDA

View Full Version : Web of the Wyrd - What is it?

Pneumatikos
August 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I recently read about the web of the wyrd in the Witches Magickal Handbook. But what is it really? Just curious.

Thank you

David19
August 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Wyrd is, I think, roughly, Fate, but, that's more a Heathen (read: Asatru, Northern Germanic, etc) concept.

So, maybe, you could ask in the Asatru and Heathen forum (http://mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420) for a better, and detailed, explanation. I'm not a Heathen, so, I can't help that much :).

Solya
August 19th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Web of Wyrd is a concept I'm somewhat familiar with, but I think it'd definitely belong better in the forum David19 already named. :) With that said, I'll tell you what I know about it.

In Scandinavian mythology, there are three women called the Norns. (You might also recognise them as the three witches from Shakespeare's Macbeth.) Urd is the Norn of the past, Verdandi is the Norn of the present and Skuld is the Norn of the future. The Norns are depicted as weavers of a complex web. All actions of humans and other living beings are taken up into that web and the web is altered because of them. This is the depiction of cause and effect.

Wyrd itself refers to a complex relationship between free will and destiny. In our spirituality, we are asked to try and understand our Wyrd/fate through the understanding of time. Time itself is non-linear in nature and so past, present and future all exist in an 'eternal now'. You can see that in the depiction of the Norns, because all three of them weave at the same time and so weave the past and future at the same time as the present. The weaving of Wyrd itself shows that there's some 'higher plan' in life which we all adhere to.

The idea is that if we truly live hand in hand with our destiny, we are doing this out of our own free will. The two are therefore no longer mutually exclusive. It can be compared to a Christian saying "not my will but Yours be done" and putting his trust in God to lead him. That is the web of Wyrd in the simplicised form, at least. ;)

Pneumatikos
August 19th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Thank you David19 and Solya. You've told me a lot, and I am now even more curious. I will also post threads in other places. Is there any connection with astral projection? I seem to remember a connection between the web and visiting others while in a transcendental state. ...or that could just be the voices in my head again...(Joking) (maybe)

Solya
August 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Well, I guess you could see the threads that bind you to others as a formation of a web of sorts. It makes sense that you'd be able to navigate through that web astrally. I know I see everything that exists in the earthly reality in two ways: with my physical eyes (seeing what is there) and with my spirit eyes (seeing the threads of energy that hold everything together). Those threads I see with my spirit eyes consist of webs of sorts, but I also see them form a huge pattern. I guess that the web of Wyrd is the thing I see at that point, but if I start to pay attention to it I get really dizzy.

Lunacie
August 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Here's what I found by doing a Google

A modern representation of the Web of Wyrd, the matrix of fate (wyrd) as woven by the Nornir, the fates of Norse legend. The emblem, nine staves arranged in an angular grid, contains all of the shapes of the runes (http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/bldefblot.htm) and therefore all of the past, present, and future possibilites they represent.
The web serves as a reminder that the actions of the past affect the present and that present actions affect the future; all timelines are inextricably interconnected- in a sense, it is a representation of the tree of life.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefswyrd.htm
Click the link to see what the web of runes looks like...