PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article for gay Christians

David19
August 29th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I thought I'd publish this here, as I've been reading an interesting article. It's called:

On the Ethics of St. Paul (http://thegodabovegod.com/index_files/Jim%20West%20Articles/On%20the%20Ethics%20of%20Saint%20Paul.htm)

The author addresses some misconceptiosn about Paul, notably the homophobia.

It's got a lot of interesting point, and, IMO, is well-researched, it's not like he just pulls it out of his ass, he uses actual historical sources and historians (and not psuedo-historians and New Agers).

Here's the part I found really interesting, it's from the end of the article:

Paul believed that a true moral ethic would be established when people put God first in their lives. Paul did not believe that this true morality could be reached by simply abstaining from and condemning homosexuality, or fornication. Paul understood that the acts of homosexuality and fornication were not at the root of the real problem in human nature. He recognized that the real problem was rooted in a lack of priorities: in a fundamental lack of understanding of what God’s nature really is, and in a lack of understanding the proper place of pleasure in human existence. Simply abstaining from and/or condemning homosexuality does not in itself make one a Godly person. Whereas a truly Godly person might be caught in a homosexual tryst–just as Jesus was portrayed in the Gospel of John, or as David and Jonathan in the books of Samuel.

The truth behind all of this is that true, divine Love transcends all conventions. All true Gnostics understand this without becoming slaves to vice. The shocking truth is that when two men love one another with a pure heart–the two become an image of the Divine. The problem however is that this divine love cannot be revealed before the eyes of those who are uninitiated, who lack gnosis. Aspiring gay Christians today would do well to heed Paul’s wisdom. According to Paul, gay Christians aren’t condemned because of gay sex which is lawful. They condemn themselves because they flaunt the liberty of the Gospel before the eyes of the uninitiated, by which they turn the liberty of gnosis into a stumbling block

BTW, the author is a Gnostic Christian, and he's wrote some other interesting articles, which you can find, and read, here (http://thegodabovegod.com/index_files/CCG%20Research%20Staff%20Archive.htm). I think he's linked, or, at least, his articles are hosted at Coffee, Cigarettes and Gnosis/Aeon Byte (http://thegodabovegod.com/), a Gnostic Christian radio show, which has some interesting shows, and, also, has some, IMO, pseudo-authors, historians, etc on as well.

What are your thoughts?.

ninurta2008
May 20th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Though I am straight, interesting article, I need to read into this more. I will get back to you on it!:thumbsup:

David19
May 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Though I am straight, interesting article, I need to read into this more. I will get back to you on it!:thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy them :).

Bix
May 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the article, I'll have to mull over it before I really respond.

ninurta2008
May 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Reading about Paul in the Gospel of Mary ( I think it was Paul), he sounded judgemental, here he sounds wise, telling people they need better priorities. That is true, the problem is people need to solve their priorities.

David19
May 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Reading about Paul in the Gospel of Mary ( I think it was Paul), he sounded judgemental, here he sounds wise, telling people they need better priorities. That is true, the problem is people need to solve their priorities.

That's true, the article also offers a new opinion on some of Paul's verses that have been used to justify the persecution of LGBT Christians and of women, and other minorities too. There's also some evidence that might point to Paul either being Gnostic or having Gnostic ideas.

john.a
May 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I'd be interested to know who the author of this article is and what his background is. =) Particularly, I'm interested in where he believes in the Gospel of John there is a homosexual tryst in which Jesus participates.

Other than that, what he has mentioned may apply to the beliefs of a gnostic Christian, but they certainly do not apply in many Christian traditions. Judging from the stereotypical gnostic, gnostics and many mainstream Christian traditions differ on God's nature, the idea and definition of love and divine Love and the idea and definition of "gnosis." Our theological interpretation of sexuality therefore differs.

It is interesting to note the section warning gnostic Christians from sharing their knowledge with the uninitiated. According to what I've read about gnostic Christianity, they may have been Christians who, while active in different denominational Churches, identified themselves as a higher, spiritual elite with knowledge of which the masses knew nothing. This section of the article seems to imply that this still exists in several modern gnosticisms. =)

David19
May 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'd be interested to know who the author of this article is and what his background is. =) Particularly, I'm interested in where he believes in the Gospel of John there is a homosexual tryst in which Jesus participates.

Other than that, what he has mentioned may apply to the beliefs of a gnostic Christian, but they certainly do not apply in many Christian traditions. Judging from the stereotypical gnostic, gnostics and many mainstream Christian traditions differ on God's nature, the idea and definition of love and divine Love and the idea and definition of "gnosis." Our theological interpretation of sexuality therefore differs.

It is interesting to note the section warning gnostic Christians from sharing their knowledge with the uninitiated. According to what I've read about gnostic Christianity, they may have been Christians who, while active in different denominational Churches, identified themselves as a higher, spiritual elite with knowledge of which the masses knew nothing. This section of the article seems to imply that this still exists in several modern gnosticisms. =)

The author is a Gnostic, I think he was saying the warning is for LGBT Gnostic Christians not show their love in front of the uninitiated (i.e. those who don't have Gnosis), it's also good advice in general - don't show your love in front of the people who hate you. You can read his other articles here (http://thegodabovegod.com/index_files/CCG%20Research%20Staff%20Archive.htm).

ninurta2008
July 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
If Melchizedek was a good godfearing jew, then why did he have such a pagan name? King Zedek or the god of Justice of the canaanites