PDA

View Full Version : Drawing and Using Magic with Music

Amilee
September 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Now I think that I've posted somthing like this before in which I wanted to know if there are any ways to use music, mainly vocal music to draw up and use energy. I know that Tibetian and Japanese monks and priests do this with their voices and with instruments (the Taiko being my absolute favorite...makes my very core vibrate..mmm).

Last time may people told me about Bardism and I still maintain an interest in this though I don't know anyone to talke to about this particular profession.

I keep dreaming over and over (I've had about 20 so far) of being able to call up energy and use it by singing. It's an amazing feeling and the thing is my brain really wants to relive that feeling in real life.

So, is it possible? I'm doing research on the internet as we speak but any help, links, or advice that you might have would help me greatly on my journey.

Plus, what gods or goddesses are associated with music? I know a few from the Greek pantheon which I'm closest to as two of my 3 worshiped gods/goddess' are from there.

Should I stick to the Greek or maybe move over to Celtic or another countries pantheon?

I just feel like this is where my magic is going to lie in the end. Scholarly wisdom (concerning supernatural, magical and pagan historical studies) and music magic.

~Elise~
September 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Words are power...so why wouldn't singing raise energy??? Have you seen a praise and worship service? Singing defintely raises power.

I would suggest that you look in the Greek pantheon for your music..muses, etc. google is your friend in cases like this, as is the search function on the site.

Elise

Teresa
September 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
The Power of most Chants lies in the vibrational tones as the words are pronounced. Of course it would work! :thumbsup:

You can sing a chant and raise energy and power.

Meadhbh
September 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Of course music can draw power. Like other people have said, words have power. So if I were you and I were interested in doing such a thing I'd either google the lyrics of some of the songs I like and see if any of them have a special meaning to me. You may also want to think about forming a song based on poetry or prose if you like. But do it its format most of the time poetry is easier. Or if you feeling like your ready for it you can write some of your own.

Xentor
September 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Several traditions employ chanting and drumming. The singing in Abrahamic churches and temples for instance is used to heighten both communal and religious experience. Buddhists and Hindi do the same. I suggest paying a visit to your local Buddhist temple.

Amilee
September 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
When the buddhists at the temple near me start chanting or when I walk by a temple I`m always drawn to it. It`s amazing. I mean how do they make it sound like that? It`s so...enthralling!

I`m all about vibration as I`ve been saying and there`s just somthing about deep notes or music in general that makes my entire body just vibrate with energy. It`s fantastic.

I`m so excited about looking into this so much deeper!

Just took a look at celtic bards yesterday and spent about an hour reading about their tradition! It`s very similar to what I`d like to do!:boing:

Tigerlily
September 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I am not a good singer but I love singing during rituals. I often write my own prayer songs and use them during rituals rather than finding something pre-made online. More special to me. When singing to the Goddess and the spirits, I don't think it matters if you're not in tune or if your song isn't perfectly written. As long as it feels good to you.

Ladybug1258
September 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Music definitely has a great deal of power, particularly for those individuals who are sensitive to it enough to feel it in their very bones. My soul fills with music when it's truly the kind I need at that particular point in my life or when I need to work on something. Nothing works better than music for filling a creative and power-filled void!

Find the tones that send you the greatest sense of power, allow them to vibrate throughout your body until the energy reaches it's zenith. Be sure to release it into the direction you wish it to go and to ground yourself afterwards.

Everyone has a different vibrational tone that works best for them. Mine is probably close to what yours is since I like those deep resonating tones as well. I find that music that contains these tones will give me chills, make my eyes tear up, my eardrums vibrate and my soul stirs in what an only be described as sheer bliss. It's a sea of pure sound that carries me away to a place all my own. It's a great meditation tool as well.

Amilee
September 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Find the tones that send you the greatest sense of power, allow them to vibrate throughout your body until the energy reaches it's zenith. Be sure to release it into the direction you wish it to go and to ground yourself afterwards.

And that, is exactly what I'm on the way to discovering right now. It's one of the first things I'm looking at.

I am not a good singer but I love singing during rituals. I often write my own prayer songs and use them during rituals rather than finding something pre-made online. More special to me. When singing to the Goddess and the spirits, I don't think it matters if you're not in tune or if your song isn't perfectly written. As long as it feels good to you.

I feel like my songs need to sound perfect when I sing to goddess but that's just me. I think this way because not only do I want to sing for her, but for others who happen to be listening as well. If I can tap their vibrations I can send more energy to my goddess.

'course thats just a theory.

Cat
September 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
My group used singing all the time for raising power. It works really well. I could probably do it alone too, though I've never tried.

Louisvillian
September 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I've never tried such a thing in practical application, but it does sound interesting and worthy of attempt. I might try it next time I do a Sabbat ritual (solitarily, of course).

I do know that, whenever I hear Beethoven's Ode to Joy, it definitely sounds and feels magical. :smile:

Amilee
September 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM
The thing is I KNOW there's a connection there....I'm just so damned shy...Singing outloud especially in this country where they're so reserved...Is, quite frankly, scary.

Luckly tomorrow no one will be home in the house till late so I can try my first experiment. Finding my Chakra vibrations. I've got some singing bowl CD's and I've also found a few good ones on Youtube!

I'll letcha know how it turns out!

Teresa
September 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a great starting point. I am betting that in time you will also join in with a form of dance during your vocal vibrations. The combination of that or even beating a drum while chanting can bring about some wonderful peaceful energies which can revitalize you !:thumbsup: Practice and experiment with different combinations and see which you prefer. If you play any instruments also try using those and working with movement at the same time. :thumbsup:

You can create your very own unique rites for different things by doing this.

parallax
September 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
[quote=Amilee;3678614]Now I think that I've posted somthing like this before in which I wanted to know if there are any ways to use music, mainly vocal music to draw up and use energy....So, is it possible? I'm doing research on the internet as we speak but any help, links, or advice that you might have would help me greatly on my journey.
quote]

It is most definitely possible and one of the only ways I actually can do energy work.
I'm a big fan of spontaneous music and I either play my flute or chant or just plain sing during my devotionals.
I center myself in my upper chest and singing causes a physical sensation there that I can relate to grounding, centering, and pulling up energy.

Are you female? When women sing, we have a head voice and a chest voice. When singing in the head voice we can generally feel the resonation in our sinuses, throat, head...those areas. When we sing in our chest voice it resonates more in our throat and chest. I mean, it resonates throughout our whole bodies but those are the areas that we can feel it strongest. When we switch registers from head to chest there is usually a lot of tension in the notes, and vocalists can usually feel an actual switch, or click, or snap in their vocal chords as it drops. It takes a bit of work to learn to transition smoothly. I transition around a "B" and have found that A, G, F, and E are pretty good notes for me to get a nice, tense, resonation that I can pull on. Since all voices and vocal chords are different, you will have to play around to find out where your voice resonates the best for you. Depending on what I'm doing, I sometimes like to hit the higher notes to get a nice, open, ringing vibrato.
If you are not female, I really can't help you as I don't know male vocal chord anatomy that well.
I rarely sing actual words or songs, often just humming and singing sounds and letting the music carry through me. I do sing a lot of chants from my tradition throughout rituals but if I'm singing to raise energy to sacrifice I just vocalize. I've got a few melodies that I tend to work with but have never bothered to write them down, for me, I want it to be just between me and the gods right now. To keep it pretty much out of the human world since it's just for them.

Music is hugely involved in religion and worship and if it's something that interests you so much I strongly suggest you study it in many contexts. The Catholic church has done a LOT with music over the years and it's where I think I developed such an integration of worship and music. I still sing sacred Catholic music because it invokes such strong emotions in me. I mean Schubert's Ave Maria? I swoon. And you've mentioned there is a temple near you that catches your heart, talk to them about their music!
Oh man, hahaha just thinking about music improves my life :)

*~Amora~*
October 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
If you haven't felt called by the Hellenic deities, and you have made offerings to them and lived in accordance with Hellenic values, then you might consider exploring another path.

Among those in which I have felt the resonance of music is the Heathen path. Their songs are quite moving. But then, I have some Norwegian ancestors who I think were Norse.

However, if I were you, I would look to my ancestry to guide me. See what gods your ancestors may have worshiped. You may feel more connected that way. Blood calls to blood, and gods often desire to claim the children of their followers (in my experience).

Sequoia
October 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Music and chant most definitely raise energy - one person alone singing or thousands together, it all will have an effect. Maybe slightly related: when I'm doing energy work for/on someone I know who is a musician, I find that his energy responds most when I hum or softly vocalize tones along with the energy work that I'm doing. The vibration of the sound directs the vibration of the energy and makes it affect his SO much better.

Even humming quietly can help raise and direct energy. With music, your inner self will help you attune yourself to the correct tones and such... if that makes ANY sense. Follow your instinct. Let your instincts guide your music. Let the flow of the energy guide your tones.

Music is a wordless expression that we sometimes feel the need to add subtitles to. IMNSHO. Some of the most powerful music there is, is lyric-less.

Recordings can help you, if you fall into their rhythm and sound. But I personally believe that making your own music is the most effective raiser of energy. Whether you sing or play an instrument... it's going to be there.

Let us know how your practice goes! :)

Philosophia
October 10th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Here are some links:

Music Magic (http://w3.iac.net/~moonweb/archives/KOTO/SS1/SS1.html)
Music Magick (http://www.geocities.com/silver_birdy36/musicmagick.html)
Using musical tones to activate your energy centers or Chakras (http://www.squidoo.com/meditationmusicmp3)

Amilee
October 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Whoot! All helpful so far. Just a quick update, I've discovered I like music that's cheerful as opposed to sad music even when I'm depressed. I don't know why.

When it's raining I prefer ballads. That's just my self observation.

Just made a list of stuff I can do musically too and that's Singing, Advanced Piano and the Irish Penny Whistle (just a bit) But still! Gee! I love music.

Oh and of course the beautiful singing bowls!!