PDA

View Full Version : Silk spider...?

KageMori
September 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
a few days ago i was outside doing laundry when i bumped into a spider web. just a touch though not enough to destroy the web and when i looked up i saw this HUGE yellow and black spider nearly the size of the palm of my hand.

i freaked out but left it alone for a while. i was scared to death, i dont like spiders cause im afraid of getting bit and poisend. we have a lot of venomus spiders around my house, mostly black widows and stuff. but this was the biggest spider ive ever seen. after a couple days my nephew comes over and i tell him to come look at this spider. i ask him to give me the shovel because i was going to kill it.

im wasnt going to leave a spider that big around the house when we often have a baby around and risk the baby getting bit if he were to stumble upon it. well i miss and my nephew then takes the shovel and he mangages to kill it.

well just a bit ago i did a search for yellow and black spiders and one type that came up was a silk spider. im thinking now that, thats what this was because they had similar web types. i dunno for sure though but how on earth did a silk spider, if thats even what it was, find its way to my house. ive never seen a spider like it before.

scorpiochick77
September 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've seen them big ol' buggers around here alot but the webs are usually high in the trees/ bushes, etc. As long as they stay away from me then they'll live to see the light of another day.:lol:

Dr. K
September 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Honestly more spiders........_inabox_

Garnet Heart
September 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Could it have been a garden spider? They're black and yellow, the females are fairly big (2-3" in diameter, including the legs).

Here's some info with a picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_garden_spider

They're fairly common in the lower 48 states but thankfully non-aggressive and unlikely to come indoors.

I remember this one place I worked outdoors, they would build webs on tall grasses in open fields. It was a bit creepy, but I never got bitten, and when the dew collected on the webs it was really very beautiful.

Old Witch
September 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
There are two really venomous spiders likely to kill or make you really sick in the US, the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse and neither are likely to be hanging out in a web...
You probably killed a Golden Garden spider or one of her close relatives, all being very beneficial arachnids

)O( ~ Khara~ )O(
September 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
From your description and where you live, I am going to presume it was one of these....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Siochain/bananaspider.jpg

A Banana Spider or Huntsman Spider. They are huge and scary as all get out, but relatively harmless (if any spider is truly harmless for those of us with arachnaphobia). They are all over FL. They especially like treetops and will build a canopy in groups. Scared the crap out of me first time I saw it.

scorpiochick77
September 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM
From your description and where you live, I am going to presume it was one of these....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Siochain/bananaspider.jpg

A Banana Spider or Huntsman Spider. They are huge and scary as all get out, but relatively harmless (if any spider is truly harmless for those of us with arachnaphobia). They are all over FL. They especially like treetops and will build a canopy in groups. Scared the crap out of me first time I saw it.

That's one big ass spider there! Thankfully it's not venomous and doesn't like coming into homes.:thumbsup:

KageMori
September 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
no that wasnt it. im still leaning towards silk spider because of how the web looked. now that im fairly positive about what it was i feel bad for killing it.

forestrangergrrl
September 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Could it have been a garden spider? They're black and yellow, the females are fairly big (2-3" in diameter, including the legs).

Here's some info with a picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_garden_spider

They're fairly common in the lower 48 states but thankfully non-aggressive and unlikely to come indoors.

I remember this one place I worked outdoors, they would build webs on tall grasses in open fields. It was a bit creepy, but I never got bitten, and when the dew collected on the webs it was really very beautiful.

that was my immediate thought when i read the op. golden garden spiders (and the other orb spiders) are all quite beautiful and can get very large. their webs often have a zig-zag pattern in the middle that has mystified scientists for a while now. most think it's to either attract prey or to allow the web to be more visible so it's not destroyed by larger animals (and humans! lol). an old wive's tale about the 'writing' in the web was that certain people could read it and tell the future.

misty
September 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I was about to suggest Garden Spiders too. We had one that made her home on the side of our house last year.

KageMori
September 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
that web looks like the same one the spider made. maybe it was a garden spider then.