PDA

View Full Version : 1st day of school

WitchOfEndor
September 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thought I'd share pics of my girls. Katie is 13 & has Aspergers syndrome & Charlotte is 9 & has PDD-NOS . As some of you've read about my fight with the schools over both my lovely Autistic girls, the fight continues.

Invidosa
September 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
your girls are gorgeous!!

Lunacie
September 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thought I'd share pics of my girls. Katie is 13 & has Aspergers syndrome & Charlotte is 9 & has PDD-NOS . As some of you've read about my fight with the schools over both my lovely Autistic girls, the fight continues.

They are beautiful girls! Wish I had the know-how to post piccies of my neurologically challenged granddaughters here too.

I don't remember seeing anything from you on the problems with your school system, we're having some problems as well. Can you share a link to those threads so we can talk a little bit, don't want to derail this thread. Unless you're good to have the discussion here?

WitchOfEndor
September 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM
We can talk about it here Lunacie, no worries about it high jacking the thread. It may have more impact when someone can put a face to Autism anyway :)

Lunacie
September 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The "face" of Autism ...

... I mentioned in another thread that you can't tell by looking at someone that they're deaf, they have to ask you to speak so they can watch your lips to tell what you're saying. Similar with ASD - it isn't obvious by looking at a person so we have to ask for a little consideration at times.

So, what's the problem with the school your girls go to?

WitchOfEndor
September 10th, 2008, 05:41 AM
http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=194307 this is some explanation. Too lazy to type it out. LOL

WitchOfEndor
September 10th, 2008, 05:42 AM
http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=193180 another thread

Tabby
September 10th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Gorgeous girls!

WitchOfEndor
September 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Katie was treated horribly last year by her peers. I wanted her sent to the Autism school we have here but the district has fought me on it cuz Katie does excellently academically & is'nt a behavior problem. Does'nt matter that she comes home puts on her PJs & refuses to go anywhere from the crippling anxiety she know suffers from since last years horrible experience. They've offered somethings to help her so we are waiting till October to see if there is any improvement. Unfortunately because of the severity of her anxiety we start her on Celexa this morning. Hopefully it will help. I'm not thrilled with having to medicate but we've tried everything else. She loves her teachers & is very excited about her classes so that has helped her a little. There is sooo much potential is this sweet girl, I'll be damned if the system is going to screw her over.

Lunacie
September 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Okay, I've refreshed my memory. :hehehehe:

Sorry to hear your daughter feels so negative about going to school. I'm afraid my oldest granddaughter will feel that way when she hits middle school - she's in the fifth grade now - and she has only been tentatively diagnosed with ADHD. She's supposed to see a therapist on Friday that will be more helpful than our regular guy therapist. We love him, but Katlin is at an age where she might relate to a woman better. Been trying to see her for a month and her schedule has been sooo chaotic.

Meanwhile, the youngest who has a tentative diagnosis of Autism, has already had two serious overload/meltdowns in school and we're only a month into the school year. The last one she got so frustrated and angry that she threw her shoe at her teacher and hit her in the face. I'm guessing her shoe had come off for some reason and the teacher was trying to help her get it back on. She's never been one of those kids who takes off her shoes all the time (like her mommy and me :hehehe: ).

She only had to do one day of in-school suspension but we asked the special ed teacher who works with Nove Mber part of the day in the regular classroom for an IEP update meeting. The next day the principal called to talk to my daughter about the shoe throwing and anger and she "suggested" having a meeting. Sort of pizzed my daughter off and she told the principal that she had already asked the teacher for a meeting! The principal seems to be better at issuing orders than at listening to her staff.

The meeting isn't until next week, and it seems the special ed teacher is going to keep an eye on the situation until then. But she is new this year and doesn't know what she's facing in this principal. She says she is going to recommend that Nove Mber have her own aide (we call them au paires or paras here), if not full time then for the subjects she has the most trouble with. She's still young enough that the other kids don't find her too weird so the social thing hasn't gotten too bad. But she took a swing at a kid in the lunch line last week for teasing her.

WoE, have you looked into finding an advocate for Katie to help you deal with the school there and get them to understand how difficult the social aspect is for your beautiful daughter? We're waiting to see how things go at our meeting next week before deciding whether to look for an advocate ourselves.