PDA

View Full Version : learning oil painting

halfwaynowhere
September 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
So I was talking to someone yesterday about oil painting, and how my friend is supposed to be working on a series of paintings for me, but hasn't even started yet. So she suggested that I learn to oil paint, and do them myself.
The thought had never crossed my mind, but now I'm starting to think that might be a pretty cool idea. Then again, I'm not very good with drawing and painting and stuff... Like, I can draw things if I have a picture or something to work from, and the paintings I want are actually based on some of my photographs, so it might not be a bad idea to try learning. But I've never ever tried working with oils. Is it something I might be able to teach myself from things like online tutorials, or would it be better to have someone actually there to teach me? My friend who does the painting could try to teach me, but I don't think that would work very well... She's tried to teach my things before, and it never worked... like guitar. She tried several years ago to teach me, and finally i just taught myself from online tutorials.

So, any tips for someone who has absolutely no experience with oil painting on how to get started? A list of required supplies (bare minimum, as I'm on a very low budget) would be nice, too. Because I really have no idea what to do...

SilverClaw
September 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I had no experience whatsoever when I started oil painting almost 5 years ago, my husband gave me two techniques for texture and that was it.

I painted I never drew before hand especially since I was painting on wood, when it is canvass I sometimes draw ahead of time so I know where I am putting everything especially if it is small and detailed.

My first several paintings were just landscapes and abstract pieces till I felt confident to move on from there.

The paints I buy come in a set that cost close to 15 dollers they have the basic colors. (I get them at Staples or London Drugs.) When you do bigger projects that is when it may be smart to go buy the bigger tubes that cost 4 dollers each. I also keep an eye out on Doller store sales and Wal-mart for paint supplies to

I also got given as a birthday present a set that invluded 30 tubes of paint and all the brushes, pallet and linseed oil. So if your serious about painting and want to save money that would be one way to go.

As for other supplies pallets, brushes ( as for how many you get that is up to you or what type) canvasses or wood ( that is what I use alot when I do not have canvasses). And I find either an art easel full one or a table top one helps to especially when it comes to having a place to dry.

Also remember the one cool thing about oil paints is if you make a mistake it is easy to alter or change things completly. Depending on the heat in your house oil paints can take 6 days to dry complelty, or longer if you use thinners and such.

Also try to make sure you have a dust free environment. One thing I found is dust attaches to the paint then it is all fuzzy looking. So having something you can use to cover it as well.

Also here is a link that has more on supplies. (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-oil-paint-oil-painting-supplies.html)Some of the things in there I do not find necessary but I thought I would post it anyways. Also I have books on oil paintings so if you want me to look up anything particular just let me know. :)

Have fun and look forward to seeing your work :D

Godess_luna_light
September 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I tought myself to oil paint its easy and its fun. As far as "teaching" the art...... art is what you want it to be it's what you feel it's in side of you. Hey if you wanted you could plop your hand in a gallon of paint smear it on news paper and call it art. I will say this when painting with oil, EXSPECALLY with black opean a window or door it can be a bit smelly, and black takes the longest to dry. I have found that if you thin the paint with a little thiner it will dry quicker. The thicker you layer it on the slower the drying process. What ever you do have fun at it, I always do.

Hope Ive helped a bit........:thumbsup:

Hear is one of the first oil paintings I did. It took me about 3 weeks from start to finish, a lot of drying time.

SilverClaw
September 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I tought myself to oil paint its easy and its fun. As far as "teaching" the art...... art is what you want it to be it's what you feel it's in side of you. Hey if you wanted you could plop your hand in a gallon of paint smear it on news paper and call it art. I will say this when painting with oil, EXSPECALLY with black opean a window or door it can be a bit smelly, and black takes the longest to dry. I have found that if you thin the paint with a little thinner it will dry quicker. The thicker you layer it on the slower the drying process. What ever you do have fun at it, I always do.

Hope Ive helped a bit........:thumbsup:

Hear is one of the first oil paintings I did. It took me about 3 weeks from start to finish, a lot of drying time.

YES make sure you are in a well ventilated area or you can find yourself feeling stoned after awhile. And that is not necessarily a fun way to paint... Ventialtion is the main reason I oil paint during the spring- fall when the doors can still be opened as well. Or in some case actually go paint outside.

the paint with a little thiner it will dry quicker. interesting I always found it the other way around I guess it depends on how you use it.

Also another thing I forgot to add above about how long a painting takes to dry I guess would also include how much paint you use on it thickness wise.

GEBS
September 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM
mol paints with oils. I'll see if I can get him in here to give you some tips.

halfwaynowhere
September 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM
well, i went to my friend's house today and she did manage to teach me a bit (although mostly I just did my own thing). I ended up finding a picture in a magazine and trying to recreate it. I don't think its too bad, a bit impressionistic, but not terrible, especially for my first try.
Mostly I want to do things like flowers, and animals... not people. but of course, my first painting ended up being a person. oh well. I've got a bunch more ideas I'd like to try out on my own... Working with my friend is kind of limiting, because she has more experience with it, but I don't think she's actually that much better. She just knows how to work with the paint better... But I feel like when i'm around her, i can't try many things that she didn't teach. So I'm going to have a lot more fun when I work on my own. I definitely want to pursue this and try to get better!
anyways, here is a really bad webcam shot of my painting... i'll pull out my camera and get better pictures tomorrow...

SilverClaw
September 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM
That is awesome great work :thumbsup:

So I'm going to have a lot more fun when I work on my own. I definitely want to pursue this and try to get better! I am the same way and I do wish you the best in your painting :D

halfwaynowhere
September 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM
thanks, ravens eye.
I showed the painting to my mom this morning, and she was like "ooh, a barbie!" She loves barbies. Then she said it would be fun to frame it in a fancy gold frame, and hang it in a barbie ballroom, with barbies around it, dressed in the same period... my mom can be silly sometimes. Its an 8X10, so I guess the size would work for a portrait of some rich lady handing in the grand ballroom or something...

My mom won't let me use turpentine in the house... so i'll have to do any oil painting outside. makes me sad.
I did buy an inexpensive paint set yesterday. still need brushes, and more importantly, canvases! But i had so much fun yesterday, and even though I know this first piece isn't great, i feel like its not as hard as I had initially imagined...
So I'm going to wait until the end of next week, and if I have any money left by then, I'll buy brushes and canvases, I have an idea for a series of paintings I'd like to do for my room...

SilverClaw
September 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
thanks, ravens eye.
I showed the painting to my mom this morning, and she was like "ooh, a barbie!" She loves barbies. Then she said it would be fun to frame it in a fancy gold frame, and hang it in a barbie ballroom, with barbies around it, dressed in the same period... my mom can be silly sometimes. Its an 8X10, so I guess the size would work for a portrait of some rich lady handing in the grand ballroom or something...

My mom won't let me use turpentine in the house... so i'll have to do any oil painting outside. makes me sad.
I did buy an inexpensive paint set yesterday. still need brushes, and more importantly, canvases! But i had so much fun yesterday, and even though I know this first piece isn't great, i feel like its not as hard as I had initially imagined...
So I'm going to wait until the end of next week, and if I have any money left by then, I'll buy brushes and canvases, I have an idea for a series of paintings I'd like to do for my room... As for moms being silly well we can do that sometimes it is what keeps us young lol :D

And as for the turpentine I do not use the stuff in my house at all either just because of my three kids .

Well I do look forward to seeing your paintings.

And hopefully if I can get photoshop back on my computer I can post some of the ones I have done and hope to finish this week :)

SilverClaw
September 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
by the way can you not get canvasses at your local dollar store?

GEBS
September 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Try Turpenoid (http://www.weberart.com/products/art_materials/mediums/med_pg1.html). mol uses it.

An odorless, very volatile, thin, colorless, turpentine substitute, Turpenoid® has the same painting properties and drying time as turpentine but is free from the strong characteristic turpentine odor.

halfwaynowhere
September 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
by the way can you not get canvasses at your local dollar store?

i don't know if they have them at the dollar store... don't think i've seen them... someone did mention going to big lots, which is a discount store. She said they had two sizes of them, both square, that were nice and thick... so I'm going to look there, especially since I want to use squares.

Still, I'm super broke at the moment... I'm 1/4 through the semester, and still haven't bought my textbooks yet! So those come before art supplies, unfortunately...

SilverClaw
September 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
i don't know if they have them at the dollar store... don't think i've seen them... someone did mention going to big lots, which is a discount store. She said they had two sizes of them, both square, that were nice and thick... so I'm going to look there, especially since I want to use squares.

Still, I'm super broke at the moment... I'm 1/4 through the semester, and still haven't bought my textbooks yet! So those come before art supplies, unfortunately...

Ok what sizes are you looking at getting?

halfwaynowhere
September 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Ok what sizes are you looking at getting?

I've got an idea for a series of four squares, hopefully about 10" each... But I've got a whole bunch of ideas, and am now starting to look at my empty walls and envisioning them covered with paintings of all shapes and sizes, lol...

SilverClaw
September 18th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I've got an idea for a series of four squares, hopefully about 10" each... But I've got a whole bunch of ideas, and am now starting to look at my empty walls and envisioning them covered with paintings of all shapes and sizes, lol...
:lol: well Awesome that is the best way to be :D You will certainly not be bored then :D

darkwhispersdale
October 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
anyways, here is a really bad webcam shot of my painting... i'll pull out my camera and get better pictures tomorrow...

What a great painting for a first attempt. My first attempt with oils was very poor.

staticonthewire
October 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM

There are turpentine substitutes that are designed to smell less strong than the real thing; that might solve your indoor/outdoor problem. The substitutes are almost odorless, but it's important to remember that they are still volatile, so ventilation remains important.

I haven't found them to be any different in use, so if it's just a question of your mom's nose, this might do the trick.

Here's a link for one brand:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz004/42/

Philosophia
October 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I sometimes paint in oils though it can be harder than acrylics.

Here is a forum page that goes into detail about turpentine substitutes:

http://forum.portraitartist.com/printthread.php?t=383&pp=40

SilverClaw
October 16th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I sometimes paint in oils though it can be harder than acrylics. For myself I find it the other way around.