View Full Version : Are lolcats an authentic form of folk culture?

September 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
So a was reading the textbook for my Pop Culture Sociology class, and in the first chapter it talked about how some of the early pop culture theorists believed that mass produced pop culture had destroyed and replaced folk culture, folk culture being defined as culture spontaneously created by the people for the people.

I was thinking that this sounded a lot like lolcats and other forms of expression by internet users. I have read other definitions of folk culture which also define it as being tied to a specific place and to nature. Going by that definition it is harder to define any internet phenomena as folk culture, so I don't know.

Any thoughts?

I was also somewhat amused that one of those theorists believed that the constant stimulation provided by newspapers, public libraries, and jazz clubs was lowering the level of discourse and critical thought in society. I believe she was writing in the 20s or 30s. :hehehehe:

September 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
what i think is changing is our idea of 'place'
we can now physically move much more easily.. if anything destroyed folk culture I'lds say it was the airplane not andy warhol.

but that said I think 'folk culure is n't dying it is.. restructuring to be about interest groups.. look at us here? are we not a little society not focused on place but on interest or ideals.. that is the folk culure road ahead.. and pop culure feeds that.. look at Star Trek conventions! THAT is a unique culture evolving again.. focused on interest.. not place.. but still an authentically emerging group

I site also.. the Jedi.... a cultural group evolving FROM pop culture....

September 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
Things used to move a lot more slowly and the sluggish pace of innovation certainly made the sociologists job a lot easier

No wonder they like the old ways best

If you can't keep up, recategorize

September 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
I can haz folk kultur? Woot! ;)

September 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
While you can't make a clear distinction on whether lolcats are a distinct form of folk culture, there are things within the internet that could certainly be called a folk culture.

Look at Mystic Wicks as whole. We have a way of doing things here, that different then how others do things at their forum. Compare how they do things at several different forums that you go to on a regular basis, and you'll see what I mean. Could this not be called a culture of sorts?