View Full Version : Bye Bye Blondes?

Kaylara
September 27th, 2002, 02:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2284783.stm

Kaylara

Illuminatus
September 27th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Two brown eyed people CAN give birth to a blue-eyed child, if they both have the gene, and both happen to be passed onto the child.

As populations mix, recessive genes manifest less frequently.... of course, the blue-eyed-blonde couples of finland are going to have blue-eyed-blonde children - two partners with recessive traits manifested must automatically pass on those traits, since they don't HAVE any dominant ones. My mother has blue eyes... she doesn't have a gene for brown eyes... if she did, that gene would have taken over and made her eyes brown.

Just because it's a recessive gene doesn't mean it's going away. It has the same chance of being passed on as any other gene. It has a lower chance of the trait being exhibited, but that's a different matter from passing on.

- Ill

Nina
September 27th, 2002, 04:37 PM
I'm rare! I'm special! I'm going to be extinct!!!!!!

Nina
September 27th, 2002, 04:39 PM
I'm rare! I'm special! I'm going to be extinct!!!!!!

Get your blonde while you can!!!

Illuminatus
September 27th, 2002, 05:18 PM
No Nina, you're not dying out.

Morgandria
September 27th, 2002, 05:21 PM
*laughs* I'm a redhead - as recessive as they come. Also, I have green eyes - again, recessive. I am made up, actually, of primarily recessive genes. I discovered this during gene testing in biology. Lucky me - I get to be the only redhead in the family. :)

-M.

Illuminatus
September 27th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Do your parents share any of your recessive traits?

Morgandria
September 27th, 2002, 11:08 PM
My mother has brown hair and brown eyes, my father brown hair and grey eyes.... I don't know about the other traits, as I didn't get a chance to test them, also.

-M.

Nina
September 28th, 2002, 02:36 AM
Both my parents have brown hair and brown eyes. The only other blondie in the family at the moment is my grandfather on my mother's side.

Must have been a slow news day yesterday...!

edited to remove evidence of sheer stupidity (well, it was early in the morning when I wrote it...)

Alaiyo
September 29th, 2002, 02:34 PM
It's one of the things that they put out there to get people going. Just like last decade it was that there was this thing about black men being an endagered species and that there weren't enough Black men to go around for Black women. The result? Some actually bought into it. Some white supremist actually used that news to further show how wrong interrracial marriage was and some dumb Black people believed it.

Illuminatus
September 29th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Morgandria
My mother has brown hair and brown eyes, my father brown hair and grey eyes.... I don't know about the other traits, as I didn't get a chance to test them, also.

-M.

See, you're living proof. Recessive traits can hide behind dominant ones for generations before coming out to play. It doesn' t mean they're going away!

Alaiyo
September 30th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Sigh...a future where one of two things will happen:

A) natural blondes with blue eyes will be persecuted and destroyed as aberrations of evil

OR

B) they will become the tyrannical minority and develop a cult that we must worship based on their goddess, Barbie.

Illuminatus
September 30th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Remember that in the land of Barbie, Ken is King.

)O( ~ Khara~ )O(
September 30th, 2002, 09:55 PM
All of my grandparents had dark hair, 3 blue eyed and one brown. My mother is Irish on both sides she has thin brown hair and blue (almost navy) eyes, my father is half irish half cherokee thin black hair, brown eyes. I have thick red curly hair and green eyes, my husband is seminole and irish, thick brown hair and blue eyes.

From this I have one child with thick straight red hair, freckles and blue eyes, one with green eyes and thick curly white blonde hair who tans like his grandfather and a peaches and cream daughter with fine bright red curly hair and green eyes. I think you get what the Goddess blesses you with!

Illuminatus
October 2nd, 2002, 11:32 AM
The original article was a prank:

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1001SCIENCE-MEDIA-BLONDS-UN-DC.html

Illuminatus
October 2nd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O(
All of my grandparents had dark hair, 3 blue eyed and one brown. My mother is Irish on both sides she has thin brown hair and blue (almost navy) eyes, my father is half irish half cherokee thin black hair, brown eyes. I have thick red curly hair and green eyes, my husband is seminole and irish, thick brown hair and blue eyes.

From this I have one child with thick straight red hair, freckles and blue eyes, one with green eyes and thick curly white blonde hair who tans like his grandfather and a peaches and cream daughter with fine bright red curly hair and green eyes. I think you get what the Goddess blesses you with!

It's a roll of the dice, each time. By adding up the traits manifested by your parents and grandparents, you get to see about HALF the dice. This is because you only get HALF of your genes from each parent - 23 chromosomes from your father, and the other 23 from the mother.

The other half of your parents chromosomes are hidden. For each dominant trait which you see, there could be anything hiding behind it - another dominant one, or a more recessive one.

For example - I have brown eyes. I don't know what my recessive gene is, because it didn't manifest. It could be ANY of the colors which fall below Brown - Blue, Grey, Green, Hazel. Or it could be another brown. Only genetic testing would tell me for absolute certain.

You however, are a bit more transparent. Green eyes are a recessive trait. The only thing Green beats is Grey. So, your recessive gene must be one of those two. Same with your hair. Black beats Brown beats Blonde, which beats Red. So, if you have Red hair, both your hair genes must therefore, by default, be red ones.

Genetics and probability are fun!

Illuminatus
October 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Actually, I lied. My recessive trait cannot be brown. Like I said above, ancestory lets you see half the dice, but sometimes that's enough.

Dad has brown eyes, mom has blue ones. My sister and I were both born with brown eyes.

Our brown eyes came from our father. That's the only place they could have come from, since Mom doesn't have a Brown gene. If she DID have a brown gene, here eyes would have been brown and not blue (since brown beats blue).

So, I know pretty much for certain that my dominant gene came from dad, and my recessive one came from mom. Since mom's eyes are blue, the only genes she could possibly give me are Blue and Weaker. So, my recessive trait is either Blue, Green, or Grey.

My maternal grandparents both had blue eyes, and a lot of her first cousins have blue eyes as well. So, it's likely that mom's gene's are double blue. Likely, but not certain.

- Ill

Elistariel
October 3rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
genes huh? The whole blonde dying out is rediculous. I agree there may be less of them, but that doesn't mean they're dying out. Genes don't work that way.
Anyways, just for the "record" here are my genes
I have brown hair and green eyes
Dad had black hair blue eyes
Mom had brown hair green eyes, she also started going grey when she was 18. I have a pic of her before I was born, and she has white in her hair, she had to have been less than 23.
Mom's sis was redhead
At least one of Dad's sisters was blonde.
I think paternal grandma was redhead.
Paternal cousin also a redhead, his sister is sandblonde (from what I remember).
So, when it comes to hair colors, I have every one. I don't believe we only carry 2 of each.
As for eye color, all I know are green and blue.

Phoenix Blue
October 3rd, 2002, 08:34 PM
"For the record," this story is a hoax: "International Media Caught by Dumb Blonde Joke (http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s690838.htm)"

Illuminatus
October 4th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix_Blue
"For the record," this story is a hoax: "International Media Caught by Dumb Blonde Joke (http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s690838.htm)"

Thanks Pheonix! I mentioned that 5 posts ago, so techincally you were the last one to find out :)
:cool::cool::cool::boing::cool::cool::cool: