PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Poledra
October 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Inspired by some posts in the Pantheism and Prayer thread, I was curious what everyone calls what they worship. I know many people have adopted the title "What Is" that was suggested by someone here (sorry, I forget who!!) and I think it is a wonderful descriptor. However, as I think that titles and labels help us define and conceptualise things I would prefer to have a number of different names to help me broaden my understanding.

So, what do you use? Maybe we can brainstorm some new epithets?

Poledra

TygerTyger
October 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm boring, I still use 'God'!

However, for myself I don't feel the need to have an image to pray to because God is more a feeling, something I sense rather than see or even know rationally.

I'm still somewhat ambivallent about praying but that's because I'm asking some personal questions of myself.

Heart of All
October 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
I generally use the All. I'm not sure I'm so into "What Is" because I think that puts too much emphasis on the present. While I do think it's important to appreciate the present, I very much do not believe that it's important to try to experience only the present. That's why I'm not a Buddhist. I want to appreciate the present through the lens of the future and the past. That's why I use the All--it includes everything that is, was, and will be.

Windsmith
October 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I've used "What Is" (which I stole shamelessly from Cheddarsox); I've used "All That Is." But I really dig "Cosmos," because it seems to me to encompass everything from the farthest reaches of space, whever those turn out to be, to the tiniest subatomic particle, whatever that turns out to be. It speaks to the underlying natural law of the universe, as well, with a timelessness that I think gets at HeartofMoon's well-taken point about past/present/future. Also 'cause I dig Carl Sagan.

Poledra
October 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM
That is an excellent point HeartofMoon, and one of the drawbacks I guess of What Is.

What about something that plays on the knowing/unknowable aspects? The Known Enigma, or something like that. Any ideas?

Poledra

Amilee
October 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM
The Collective?

Q?

Why mess with a good thing? If you're in a Pantheism religion they're gods and goddesses respectively.

They don't need political correctness.

But, each to their own.

Changing somthing that's worked for ages just to sound more...correct, dosen't sound right to me. But my opinion.

Agaliha
October 4th, 2008, 08:03 AM
No idea if any of these would work, just some ideas--

The Universe. The Cosmos. The One. The Source. The All. Timeless Being. The Light. The Great Wonder (?).

Uh....Hm.

Why mess with a good thing? If you're in a Pantheism religion they're gods and goddesses respectively.
I think you're confusing Polytheism with Pantheism, they are in fact quite different. Most (not all) Pantheists here don't believe in gods and goddess in the way you're probably thinking of.

Amilee
October 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I think you're confusing Polytheism with Pantheism, they are in fact quite different. Most (not all) Pantheists here don't believe in gods and goddess in the way you're probably thinking of.

Hohoho! And so I am! I stick by Q though. Q's a good un. Guess I should change my thingie too. BIG difference. :cutie:

Heart of All
October 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hmm...reading all these makes me feel really picky, for some reason.

I like the Cosmos, the Universe, the All, and perhaps the Source (though that feels a bit too much to focus on the origin, and not where it went with that.)

Some of the other ones, though, like "Timeless Being" "The Light" and "The One" seem to me not to fit with my conception. They sound to me more like names for a monotheistic deity--they seem sort of separate from it to me.

Other things I've used in the past: The Everything, the Inside and Outside.

Other ideas: The Entire, the Total, the sum of all balance

Eleisawolf
October 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I use "Most Blessed One" and "Great Mystery" because that's how I perceive my deity.

I use "Mother Earth" and "Father Sky" because that's how I often relate to the larger aspects of nature just from an earth-bound, human level.

I use "Great All" because that encompasses it for me.

I use "What Is" when I need to remember that.

I use "goddess" out of habit and when I want simplicity and need to not think so much.

Peace.

Poledra
October 5th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Ooo, I like the Inside and Outside!

Xentor
October 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM
what everyone calls what they worship.

I don't worship anything. I find it useless.

Kern
October 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Not really sure if I would be considered pantheist or polytheist or something else. I believe in an Ultimate source, what I refer to as the All, but I dont view it as a "god", just the origin of all things, spiritual and natural. And being that I believe in a balance of all things, I do believe in a femine spiritual force/goddess and a male spiritual force/god, both emanating from the All. I also believe in a spirit world, but I dont worship those spirits.

Dont know if that makes since.:weirdsmil

peggyelizabeth
October 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
per my usual fall reinvigoration of spirituality, I'm reading some of the newer posts and find myself wishing to post again, so..

I like Great Spirit.
Somehow, that describes for me how I feel about whatever it is and my relationship with it all in one easy phrase.

RavenStars
October 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I tend toward "All That Is" but I get so damn poetic about it that I can't leave that well enough alone. At the moment I add "All That Is, Was, and ever shall Be". Yeah it's christian, but it gets at the everything and all things. But I will admit that I use Goddess as well, not that she's sentient or anything, but I am a bit of a shit disturber about gender.

Mogget
January 4th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Inspired by some posts in the Pantheism and Prayer thread, I was curious what everyone calls what they worship. I know many people have adopted the title "What Is" that was suggested by someone here (sorry, I forget who!!) and I think it is a wonderful descriptor. However, as I think that titles and labels help us define and conceptualise things I would prefer to have a number of different names to help me broaden my understanding.

So, what do you use? Maybe we can brainstorm some new epithets?

Poledra

When I am praying (usually at a time of need) I pary to the Goddess - I need a smaler chunk than All That Is... however when I am just chuffed at the awesomeness of All That Is I tend to call it
"The Isness"...

Excellent for when you are unravelling out of yourself and joining the All - "How's The Isness?" "The Isness is great..."

*oonagh*
January 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I like Great Spirit.

as do i

cheddarsox
January 6th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I have a term I use, but I don't share it with others, it translates to "The All and the manner in which the all operates", but it's much shorter and "cooler".

That's what I "worship" and recognize as the Ultimate reality, in my head, but honestly, the more I live, the more I wonder if I'm not simply a shameless sun worshipper, because I find it very hard to care about anything or anyone when the sun is behind clouds for more than a day. That is a physical thing. I'm just drawn to it, I respond to it, I crave it. when it's gone I miss it with an ache.

so...sometimes it's really hard for me to tell. I mean philosophically, I know what I believe in my head, but other important parts of me just plain worship the sun.

I guess it all comes out in the wash, as both of those truths are part of What Is, part of the All, and clearly an interesting example of the manner in which the All operates.

I find it very interesting to observe myself, to see if and when my behavior matches the ideas about myself and life that I have in my head.

It would appear I worship sunshine, chocolate, sex and death, if my behavior is to be believed.

Sionnach le Fey
January 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Great Spirit, Cosmos, the All...I'm not fussed :)

Lunacie
January 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Chiming in from a Wiccan perspective (if I may), in personal workings I call them Mother and Father. In general I refer to it as The Divine. The Divine is composed of everything in the Universe, including us human beings. This is hard to put into words for me, it's more of an inner understanding.

Windsmith
January 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
it all comes out in the wash, ::reels:: Oh, cheddar, don't take this the wrong way, but I didn't think anyone but my mother said this! Wow!

It would appear I worship sunshine, chocolate, sex and death, if my behavior is to be believed.Can I get in on this? There comes a time when even the most universally-minded of Pantheists needs something a little more discrete and "graspable," and I can't think of a better list than what you've got right there.