View Full Version : Bilbo has been put to sleep :-(

October 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Tuesday the 7th of October, my baby boy, Bilbo (the Rat) had to be put to sleep :goodgrief :foh: :wah:

I am absolutely devestated!!! Bilbo was truly one-in-a-millon and everyone loved him. He had the most wonderful, soft, loving personality and everyone was so drawn to him. Even all at the vets used to say what a lovely boy he was and apparently "he's one of the favourites here" (words of my vet).

Bilbo was old. He was over 3, and a couple of months ago he got cancer :( He suddenly got a huge lump, the size of a golf ball, and had to have it removed. He made it through the big operation and got better pretty fast, but sadly started to get ill again a couple of weeks ago. He kept flicking his head back to the right side and started to loose the use of his front legs :( He couldn't hold his food properly and started to go off balance quite bad.

We took him back to the vets and they gave him a course of medicine but it didn't work. I knew he was dying and asked the Universe to be kind and take him peacefully in his sleep but it never happened so I had to make the decision for him to be put down :wah:

The last couple of days of his life his little legs were that bad that I had to hold his food for him and I was doing this on-and-off all day and even in the early hours of the morning for him. It was so sad to watch and the amount of weight he lost in those last two days was massive.

Me and my Mum took him to the vets on tuesday and that's when he passed. They said there was nothing more they could do for him as they thought the cancer had spread to his brain :( and the best thing we could do for him now was have him put to sleep as the quality of his life had gone down so much and it was obvious he wasn't happy (and neither were we seeing him like that).

So yeah, little Bilbo has crossed over to the Otherworld and I'm truly heart-broken. I keep crying all the time, especially when I first wake up and see his cage not in my room anymore, and the same when I go to bed at night. I feel lost. I just want him back!!!

I'm sorry, I'm really rambling now.

Is there any way to make this any easier. I feel heart-broken! I loved his soooooooooo much and we were soooooooooo close.

*A very, very sad Kristy*

Here's a pic of the little man before he got sick :)

***R.I.P BILBO***

Shawn Blackwolf
October 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your dear friend , Kristy...

Yet , he could not have had a better mistress , during his life...

And that , I believe , he shall carry with him , on his journey...

The sustenance of soul you shared with him...:uhhuhuh:

And that , my friend...was , and is , a very good thing...

Blessings , and Hugz...may you soon rest easier , and your
heart find peace ...:uhhuhuh:

Crystal Willowtree
October 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
:hugz: Im sorry for your loss

October 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
My sympathies.

October 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Darlin. I know how it feels. :hugz: I hope that you take comfort in the fact that he's in a better place now and not only that. He knows that you loved him and you know that you were loved by him. :hugz:

October 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I am so sorry you have to go through this :hugz:

Willow Rosette
October 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Ohhh honey Im sorry. I just put my little ratter to sleep a couple of weeks ago so I know how heart breaking it is to loose them.

My heart breaks for you. :hugz:

October 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM

October 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys, it means a LOT :hugz:

I'm feeling a little better today, though obviously it's still really new and has only been a few days and I miss him like mad :(

I think about him all the time. He is so missed!

October 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

October 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
AWWW! Poor Bilbo!
He was one of those lucky souls to get a loving person in his last incarnation!
I am sorry for your loss, though.

October 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I've decided that I'm going to get two more ratties. I miss baby Bilbo that much and feel lonely without him so I'm going to look for two girls next week. I've always owned boys so I'm going for a change this time. They will be named Billy and Bo after Bilbo :smile: and again, I'm going to look for white and grey rats, similar to Bilbo.

Though they will never take his place, I think getting new ones will be a good thing for me right now. Plus, I know they will be coming to a loving home!

October 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss, but overjoyed that you are opening your heart and your home to 2 more little friends.

I'm not sure if you've heard of this, but you might want to visit this site : http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
there's a beautiful poem called "Rainbow Bridge" that has helped many pet owners through difficult times. There are many such poems, all of them very touching, and I can send some of the to you if you'd like. They're definate tear-jerkers, but so sweet.
If you're the kind of person who enjoys a physical object to remind you of a loved one (not, I'm sure, that you'd need any reminders) you may want to look into cremation, or snipping some fur if you still have the body. There's a woman who makes small resin molds in a rat shape, and she can put in a pinch of ash or hair. You can have it made into a pendant for a necklace, or just as a figurine. It's a nice memorial.
Her website is http://fureverkeepsakes.angelratdesigns.com/

Good luck with your new babies and may Bilbo have swift paws across the bridge.

October 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
he sounds like he was an amazing ratter. So sorry for your loss. Its really hard to see them going downhill like that... I'm sure he's happy that you gave him such an awesome life, and that you had the courage to do the best for him even when it was heartbreaking.

October 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM
awww, i'm so sorry for your loss, i know the pain of losing a furbaby, my thoughts are with you... *hugs*

October 11th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Hugs to you and peace to Bilbo.

Do not feel too badly about loosing your friend. His time would have been near even without the cancer. Some types of creatures are only meant to be with us for a short burst of love and sorrow. Rats are one of those creatures. When I had the Pet Store and recommended rats for a first pet, I also told the parents they could be a teacher about death since they only live about 3 years.
Bilbo was at his end and I'm sure he was happy to give his life and lessons to you. Have as much fun and love with your new friends! :)

I miss my pet rats too. They can be such good an loyal friends!

October 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry for your loss of Bilbo.

Good luck with your next rat pack.

There's no way to make death easier but you were there for him and took good care of him. It's always easy to look back and say what if. Just remember the good times you had and I found it helps to write down some of the good things that have happened.