PDA

View Full Version : itchy itchy doggie

Moonlite Faery
October 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Im really puzzled here...I can assume partially why we are having this problem, but the other, Im not sure what to do...First off, Im going through a divorce :( and although we have no human babies we do have furbabies. Athena my husky seems to be doing just fine, she gets concerned for me every once and awhile but other then that she has no physical problems to speak of. Isis, my mix, however, is not doing well. She has such itchy itchy skin. Earlier it was fleas, and they would both get flea baths every two weeks by me and I would scour them daily for any remainders- they were eating my poor girls alive >< I should also say that they are both on a Venison based diet for dogs with sensitive stomachs and skin, they were on the raw diet but I cant really afford that right now. Poor Isis is so itchy scratchy is is literally chewing her fur off on her belly and inner thighs, her skin there is also red and it looks like she is getting break outs of little red bumps. She also has cuts from her scratching so much. Id take her to the vet, but I just dont have the money right now to do that or I would have awhile ago. I did make her a special herb wash when I would give her a bath and it seemed to help a small amount. Im just not sure what to do, and until I get back on my feet I dont have much options in the way of foods either. Im willing to try anything I can afford, It really breaks my heart to see her doing this to herself :( I also heard from a friend that it could be breed related, though Im not sure, Ive never had any of the dogs that make up her mix save lab (she is rottie, pit, gsd, lab- at least thats what the shelter told us)

LadyMiki13
October 11th, 2008, 08:23 PM
My dog have been more itchy lately and I've been using hydrocortisone cream 1% and it has help slow down/stop the boys from scratching. You can get the generic kind it works just as well. Just put it on the raw/red spots.

These 2 sites are good for looking up health info on animals.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com

http://vetinfo.com

Alana

Xentor
October 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Check your other dog for red scratch marks and bare skin where the furr falls out. If both dogs exhibit these symptoms, chances are they're infected with skin mites. The vet has medication to counteract that. It isn't expensive here in the Netherlands, but I don't know what American vets charge.

In case you really can't take care of your dogs due to money problems, call the resque centers in your state. Our dogs' well-being should outweigh any pride issues on our behalf. (One of our neighbours had one of her dogs die because of money problems. Fortunately we were able to step in timely and save the other.)

Shanti
October 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Its probably still fleas. They are bad this year and with the hairier breeds of dogs they are harder to see.

Get a flea comb, they are cheap.

Go flea hunting.
A lot of dogs are allergic to fleas and one bite will cause an itchy reaction that leads to red skin, excessive scratching and everything you described.

Flea control is expensive, with or without a vet and its often takes months to rid the entire house, yard and dogs of fleas.
Winter is the biggest help as there will be no more outside to be picked up.

If you had fleas recently, they are in the outdoors waiting for a dog to come outside for a potty break!

One flea bite, thats all its take for an allergic dog to get the bad itches all over.

And dont ask me how to battle the fleas, I still am and have been battling them all summer.
We are in the country and cant treat acreage of land and our dogs work with livestock so they have to go into flea infested fields. We are waiting for winter and using flea combs every time we stop and sit for a minute.
The whole family is flea combing our dogs and cats.
Here in the country its a loosing battle till the fleas outside are gone for the winter.

Old Witch
October 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Get the flea comb, sounds like a flea allergy. My 13 year old dog who has bad kidneys can't have any flea remedies on her so it's comb, comb, comb!