PDA

View Full Version : "T" robe?

brymble
October 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Has anyone ever made one of those simple "T" robes for ritual use?

I can sew something more elaborate. But I don't really want to.

If anyone's made one of these robes, how's it look? Is it comfortable? Do the sleeves get in the way? Is it easy to attach a hood?

I don't want anything fancy, just a plain, simple robe with a hood for meditation. I thought, why not make one of those easy T-robes?

watersprite
October 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
IT depends on the fabric you are using, as to how hard it would be to make. Wit pure cotton, make it a size bigger that you normally wear, wash it in cold water and hang it to dry.other wise it will shrink up on you. I don't know how to attach the hood, as most of my robes like that are really long shifts to work around the house in. They are so cool and cozy!

RavenStars
October 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Your library might have "The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book" by Sharon Rosenberg and Joan Wiener. I've make all my robes using this. It shows how to take measurements and make your own T robe without a pattern. Super easy. As for sleeves you can actually make them fairly big and not have them in the way. Watch out for candles, of course :)

siannan 13
October 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
T robes are very easy to make. You can use an old large bead cloth, and dye it the color you wish.

hodds are more tricky to make, I didn't try.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3883/48198718al9.png

Lunacie
October 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM
The great thing about making your own robe is that you can make short sleeves, long flowing sleeves, or long narrow sleeves. Whatever you want. I don't think it's that hard to add a hood. But do make it a couple of sizes too beg. 1 - in case of skrinkage. 2 - so it can be slipped over normal clothes. 3 - so it doesn't bind in the shoulder/arms.

Here are some simple instructions...

http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowledge/makingrobes.html

brymble
October 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ok, I finished the T-robe, almost. Adding the hood was no trouble (I took theatrical costuming classes in college.) It only lacks a belt, eyelets, and lacings. I used a red bedsheet.

I figure I can add to it over time, a black stole with white embroidered symbols, or a darker, deeper meditation hood and a cloak, matching pouches to hold matches/lighter, oil, herbs for ritual so my altar's not cluttered.

Sequoia
October 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Cool project. I remember I made a full-length chemise for ren-fair / rituals when I was a teenager - I was SO proud and felt SO accomplished once it was finished! (I didn't have, and don't have, a sewing machine.)

Isn't it an awesome feeling to work in something you've made yourself?

~Elise~
October 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Our group has used this pattern for robes for years. Very easy to use and make.

Elise

Laoghaire
October 24th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Kick my in the bum ladies, because I really have to make me one of those this week. I have a ritual on Samhain... Can't sew... That will be interesting, to say the least...

brymble
October 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'll have Matt shoot me and post a picture if I can figure out how. It's comfy. I haven't done any ritual in it yet, but I slept in it last night and it's comfy!

~Elise~
October 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Kick my in the bum ladies, because I really have to make me one of those this week. I have a ritual on Samhain... Can't sew... That will be interesting, to say the least...

Most of my group couldn't sew either...BUT they each made their own robe. We had several sewing machines present, so there was never a long wait.

They can be personalized too...with embroidery, if the person knows how or using the bedazzler, etc.

Elise