PDA

View Full Version : Help with number recognition

SilverClaw
October 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Ok I need some help. Sakura is getting behind in certain aspects of math.
She knows how to count but when it comes to the numbers and matching them up to the written number she is having issues.

Example one = 1 and the same with if she has an object she knows there is one object but cannot show me on her hand how many unless she has a number chart or help.

We keep practicing with flash cards and work sheets, but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice.

GEBS
October 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Do you try having her count real items? Pennies helped me when I was little. It was easier than flash cards or anything on paper.

SilverClaw
October 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Yes we do that as well and she is good at that. But when a work book asks her to match the number with the object. Or to match the number to the written number that is when we have issues.

GEBS
October 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Does she work on the computer? I know there are some cute sites for kid's math.

I always had issues with numbers. I was good at math but the numbers always confused me. I am dyslexic.

Can she write her numbers? I always did it backwards.

SilverClaw
October 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Does she work on the computer? I know there are some cute sites for kid's math.

I always had issues with numbers. I was good at math but the numbers always confused me. I am dyslexic.

Can she write her numbers? I always did it backwards.

Ya she can do 1 2 3, but when it comes to writing she does not know what they are just yet. And Thank you for reminding me she should have an account set up for math via the academy we are registered through for their schooling.

SilverClaw
October 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I do not think I would be so worried about this but I am sick of my inlaws comparing her and in their own about way insulting me because she is not learning anything according to them I try not to let this bother me, but you know I do try my best to make sure she succeeds but they do not seem to get not all people learn the same way.

GEBS
October 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Homeschooling is a tough job. If they have never done it they have no idea what you put into it.

She'll get there. Don't worry. Like you said, not everyone learns the same way. Or at the same pace.

watersprite
October 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I do not think I would be so worried about this but I am sick of my inlaws comparing her and in their own about way insulting me because she is not learning anything according to them I try not to let this bother me, but you know I do try my best to make sure she succeeds but they do not seem to get not all people learn the same way.

You know, I often find the first folks to criticize your kids are the worst at criticizing their own, and they are little monsters.

My Mom collected a LOT of pennies and glued them to cardboard next to the number they represented. She wrote the numbers, and the word for the numbers, then glued the pennies on. He turned out to be dyslexic, but the teachers just called him lazy when he couldn't get his letters and numbers. I am 5 years younger than him and I taught him how to read. I had a lot of patience.

SilverClaw
October 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Homeschooling is a tough job. If they have never done it they have no idea what you put into it.

She'll get there. Don't worry. Like you said, not everyone learns the same way. Or at the same pace.My inlaws do not like anything that goes against what they view as "normal" and no they never homeschooled their kids they all went to public school.

And thank you I do take pride though in the fact she has made progress with her sounds and letters so I know she will get the math eventually to I just wish I did not have pressure from the inlaws or social worker.

You know, I often find the first folks to criticize your kids are the worst at criticizing their own, and they are little monsters. Well the inlaws are good at doing it to thier own to. And what annoys me more is FIL does not care that she hears what he says I posted about that inccident here and dam that does make me made she enough esttem issues.

My Mom collected a LOT of pennies and glued them to cardboard next to the number they represented. She wrote the numbers, and the word for the numbers, then glued the pennies on. I was going to do something simlar with some foamy things we got.

I am 5 years younger than him and I taught him how to read. I had a lot of patience. Yes patience is the key it is just to bad people do not seem to have much of it these days.