PDA

View Full Version : Help for a mini rose bush

Faery-Wings
May 12th, 2001, 08:11 AM
I was given a mini rosebush last year from one of my students (I am/was a PreSchool teacher, SAHM now). A few weeks ago, it's branches started to green and it has gotten some new leaves, but nothing has happened since. It is in a pot, gets about 4-5 hours of sun and I have been watering it lightly with some miracle gro.

I'd hate to see it die. Is there hope for it?

Chris
:sunny:

Vinga
May 12th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Does it show any signs of dying? Brown leaves? Brown dry stems? If not, it might just be a slow grower ;). I have 5 rosebushes outside and two are almost covered in leaves, one has started to green and the other two look half dead although I know they should come around soon. As long as the leafs look green and healthy, I wouldn't worry. If you have the opportunity to move it outside, it might help (even if you leave it in the pot).
Good luck :)

idusty88
May 25th, 2001, 07:37 PM
According to a florist friend of mine, mini rosebushes are considered disposable plants and not supposed to live, grow or thrive for very long. But to be fair I once saw a ground cover plant in the shade of a wall to the west (here in the desert, it would need afternoon shade) which was beautiful and being visited by many small bees. I looked closely to see what it was and I was surprised to see that it looked just like a mini rosebush all sprawled out. For several years now I have watched this plant put out lots of little red roses in the spring and fall. I'm glad it wasn't disposed of!

Yvonne Belisle
May 25th, 2001, 07:42 PM
There are a lot of really good sites for mini roses. Just do a search on the net you'll find tons! Good luck.

Methanespirit
May 25th, 2001, 07:51 PM
We have generally found that roses, those beginning from stems only, take root best in cool weather (below 60 deg. F) and that the soil shold be somewhat fertilized and kept wet. As soon as our warmer spring days begin here, usually late March andmearly April, when the sun begins to heat up the ground, that any stem-stared roses soon loose their leaves and green. That they should be started by being burried in the mud horizontally with only a top sticking out above the ground. It required at least a year for one rose regular bush to be self-sufficient after being started from a branch. It was kept in the shade and watered almost daily.

Catey
May 25th, 2001, 09:18 PM
I found when I tried to keep these little beauties in the house and in the pot they always died on me. Soooooooo about 6 years ago I tried planting them in a very sunny spot outside in my garden. I still have them and they bloom every year. I do not think they like it inside :-)

Catey