PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Location

Fireheart
October 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
What do you look for in a good location to build a homestead? Is there some way to find a place where there are other people with similar lifestyles? With a local farmer's market or something where you can sell your produce and anything else?

madness
October 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Well, there's the ideal homestead location (which would be slightly different for each person) and then there's the homestead you end up buying because it's what's available. For me:

Ideal: 20 acres - 15 woods, 5 cleared in the middle of the lot. A year round creek. Sandy loam. Less than 30 minute drive from grocery, hardware store etc. Like minded neighbors.

What I got: 1.3 acres in a city. Hard clay soil. Neighbors that call the city on me about once a month.

But things really changed for me while I was looking for my homestead, so I'm actually really happy with what I got.

My parents recently bought a farm that meets nearly all of my requirements (it's now the family farm!). 17 acres of woods with 4 acres cleared. Sand. Two creeks, but they are only wet weather creeks. An organic farm just down the road. Convenience store is 5 minutes away, gorcery, hardware, feedstore, etc are about 15 minutes away. They just lucked out. Started looking for a place and found that one in a week.

Do you have any requirements? State, weather, soil type? You might look into intentional farming communities. There are a few that seem to be surviving well if you want to make sure you will be near like minded folks.

Fireheart
October 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Wow, your ideal sounds like my ideal!

I just really want seasons lol. I'd prefer somewhere in the mountains...not overly worried about distance from grocery stores etc...but I might when I actually get there :D

How can you find these communities?

Shanti
October 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Guess it depends too on your idea of what homesteading is.

For us its mini farming to supply what we need for our family.
So we are smack in farm country and where else would we want to be?
No worry about neighbors complaining about the goats and sheep's noise or smell nor the roosters crowing at all hours because thats common around here.

For us there is no such thing as a homestead community other than being in a farming area on ag land and thats what we have. :)

madness
October 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
How can you find these communities?

News about them pops up every once in awhile somewhere - either a PBS special or Mother Earth News or something. You can find some through google searching (try "intentional farming community"). They don't always fit everyone's idea of homesteading, but it might fit yours.

Glowingsun
October 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The best place is anywhere far away from a cemetary and indian burial grounds.

Tanya
October 26th, 2008, 11:21 PM
there are smallish communities all over.. and well really.. any place i have lived.. if you live there long enough.. you find those communities exist...

for me... well.. we were largely dominated by the fact that we are both professionals and thus needed to live somewhere where we both could find reasonable work...

in the US I tended to choose small college town environs as they tended to be a bit more liberal and have jobs I might want to work.

as far as place... well... I am really all about proximity to road. I always have cats and dogs.. I want to let them roam loose as long as they don't bug the neighbors.. I don't like scraping my buddies off the road so #1 for me was 'a long lane'

you can pretty much feed yourself on 5 acres intensly managed. The first homestead my parents had was 1 intensely GOOD acre of bottom land.. and that fullfilled nearly all our food needs (not all our food wants)

their second was 20 mostly forested acres..... and ithe cleared land turned out to be mine affected... so they really struggled there.. however.. they made up for it with hunting.. and still live there...and love the forest... but are less independent than they once were.

if you can.. find a place that's already got established trees and some sort of shelter.. we have started with bare paddock and it will be a long time before we have fruit... (this year we will be lucky to get 6 apricots and 5 apples) :( and its been nearly 4 years working on a house... we would NOT do that agian.. better to buy an old orchard with a crappy old house on it and fix it up...

I was offered a job once in Eastern KY and I really wanted to move there... but we couldn't find 1 place for sale that was both 'well off a road' and had 1 acre of flat land that wasn't mining affected...it was very disappointing... we descided we couldn't take the job.... because we couldn't find a place... :(

Xander67
October 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I plan on having one when I move out west. I am thinking of 100 acres though. Land is cheap. and with a wind power generator I will not need electric.