PDA

View Full Version : Banondraig's stray thoughts thread

banondraig
October 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Just because my mind likes to wander, I came up with a couple of questions y'all might be able to answer:

1) Would it be feasible or worthwhile to convert an old car into something that can be drawn by horses? You would of course take the engine block out to lighten it first.

2) Is there such a thing as organic powdered milk?

Other people please feel free to post weird questions here. :weirdsmil

madness
October 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
1) Would it be feasible or worthwhile to convert an old car into something that can be drawn by horses? You would of course take the engine block out to lighten it first.

I recall something about this but for the life of me I can't remember where. Something about rubber inflated tires being the worst thing for horses to try to pull. I'm sure it could be done, but it might not be all that great!

2) Is there such a thing as organic powdered milk?

I don't know if it's available to consumers at the grocery, but I do know that Stoneyfield Farms makes most of their organic yogurt from organic powdered milk produced in New Zealand. So it's out there...whether it's easy to buy or not, I can't say! Seems like they ought to have it at Whole Foods or something.

banondraig
October 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hmmm . . . must check Whole Foods. I want to get some powdered milk to have on hand for baking, but I can do without rBGH. *shudder*

CzechWoods
October 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
just stay away from chinese organic milk powder, unless you want a taste in kidney stones ...

banondraig
October 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
just stay away from chinese organic milk powder, unless you want a taste in kidney stones ...

Oh, if it says "made in China", it goes back on the shelf, whatever it is. Chinese-made stuff is cheap because quality costs.

madness
October 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Isn't that sad! I wish that we had less made in China crap at every store. Do you know that you can't buy a single anvil pruner or limb lopper at Home Depot or Lowe's that isn't made in China? The only "local" (ACE hardware franchise) hardware store near me just closed down. Sigh.

watersprite
October 28th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Isn't that sad! I wish that we had less made in China crap at every store. Do you know that you can't buy a single anvil pruner or limb lopper at Home Depot or Lowe's that isn't made in China? The only "local" (ACE hardware franchise) hardware store near me just closed down. Sigh.

Seems like we could find an American company that sells farm implements made by Americans, or just sharpen the old ones during a moratorium of all things "made in CHINA."

banondraig
November 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Does bamboo make good firewood?

CzechWoods
November 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Does bamboo make good firewood?

i am sure it does burn, but it burns pretty fast.

it does even not make good spanking canes ...:toofless:

banondraig
November 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Can quinoa be grown in the Southern/ Mid-Atlantic states?

madness
December 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
When I was looking at different things to plant, quinoa was crossed off the top of the list because it didn't like really hot temperatures. I think maybe over 90F. It is still on my "try one day list" though so what I read must have made it sound somewhat possible. But it was over 100F for more than 40 days last summer. So that wouldn't have been good...

banondraig
December 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Rats. I was really into that idea, because I'm allergic to grasses, and you can't eat buckwheat every day.

Is zone 6 warm enough for amaranth?