PDA

View Full Version : Ganesh is the son of...?

Godgifu
October 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Shiva and what mother?

Originally reading Kali-centric texts, I'd read he was the son of Kali. Later I read the Mahabharata whih declares his mother was Paravati. I think I've heard Lakshmi also named elsewhere.

Is there any real agreement on this, or is it another one of those regional things?

BenSt
October 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hello,

well Kali is a form of Parvati... and so most people agree he is the son of Parvati and Shiva.

I think the reason he might be connected with Lakshmi is because he is a God of wealth, and is worshiped along side Lakshmi... but is not her son.

Cobalt
October 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Toby has the right of it. Though Ganesh is only Shiva's son (by most stories I've read) because Parvati (who has an aspect as Durga, from whom Kali emerged during Durga's battle against Mahisha as well as some other places) is his wife. I've read a couple of different versions of his origin (though dominant one seeming to be a battle against Bhanda when Devi created Ganesh to assist her), and he has more to do with his mother Devi (in her various aspects) than with Shiva.

However, because everybody loves Ganesh, Vaishnavite Hindus also revere him. He's Vishnu's nephew, which is enough of an excuse to include such an all-around spiffy deity. So whether your worship is oriented toward Shiva (who has Ganesh as a pseudo-adopted but much-loved son) or Vishnu (his uncle), you would be in keeping with Hindu practice to give a nod to Ganesh every time.

BenSt
October 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I think it also goes back to the fact that Ganesha was given prominent place in the majority of Hindu schools as the remover of obstacles and is worshipped before any other God. I would suppose because of the importance of his sect, the Ganapatyas.

Baobabtree
November 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Namaste Godgifu.

Originally reading Kali-centric texts, I'd read he was the son of Kali. Later I read the Mahabharata which declares his mother was Paravati. I think I've heard Lakshmi also named elsewhere. Generally speaking in standard Hindu mythology Ganesha is the son of Parvati, however since Durga and Kali are both considered forms or expansions of Parvati, Ganesha could just as well be called their son too. Now, in standard Hindu mythology Ganesha is usually seen as being the nephew of Lakshmi (this idea is prominent in Southern India) or even her brother in some folk traditions (this idea is particularly popular in Bengal and North-east India, but I don't think this is backed by the standard orthodox religious texts), but in Shakta philosophy where all the goddesses are seen as being forms of one great goddess (Mahadevi), Lakshmi could technically also be called Ganesha's mother. Things become even more complex in theological systems where all the God's are seen as being aspects of one supreme being, yet these relationships between the individual devas are still held as being somewhat important as the play (lila) of God.

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Anubis RainHawk
November 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM
This'll solve everything!

Sister Unity--The Story of Ganesh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg28ZNhd0Bw

Enjoy! ^_^