PDA

View Full Version : Ladybug Invasion

Elistariel
November 1st, 2008, 03:52 AM
I know that apart from covering the outside of my entire house with caulking, they won't stop coming in.
I'm okay with that.

What I would like help/opinions on is what to do with them. They only (as far as I know) come into my office/computer room late at night when this is the only light in the house that is on. I catch them by hand and put them into a plastic container (old beta fish container) and set them free in the morning.

The first 4 nights I just caught 3 or 4. I'd dab a little nail polish on them, to mark them. Each night got a different color. Tonight I've caught 9. None of them are marked. So I know it's not the same ones over and over.

So, do I just keep them in the container and get a collection of dead ladybugs. (Ew, but they are pests here), or do I just keep doing what I'm doing? Does anyone else have this problem?

Aos Si
February 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Ladybugs hide out in my house all winter. They don't do much to bother me. They don't fly everywhere or collect in the lights. They pretty much like to clump together on my cement laundry room floor. The first time I noticed them I thought it was a big black spot. Upon closer inspection it looked like 100 of them all huddled. It grossed me out, but I decided to pretend I didn't see it and let them be.

I enjoy seeing one here and there walking along the wall. Reminds me of the warm weather to come.

If they do anything harmful, I haven't noticed yet. I don't see dead ladybugs all over the house or spots where they went to the bathroom, so I'm happy to share my home with them.

*GrumpButt*
February 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I get them all in my house too.I always catch them and let them go. IF I could figure out what they eat, I'd let some of them stay. :P

Aos Si
February 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
OK, I know this is not spelled right, ladybugs eat aphids.

SphinYote
February 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
OK, I know this is not spelled right, ladybugs eat aphids.

No. You got it.

However, I wonder if these are actually lady bugs or the Asian beetles, which look exactly like lady bugs but are an invasive species.

We have swarms of them here, and when they get hungry they will bite people and leave some pretty good sized welts.

The vets have also had to remove them from the mouths of animals (particularly dogs) who try to eat them, as they seem to like latching on to the inside of the mouth.

Just posting to tell people to be aware if they have pets.

Yote

Aos Si
February 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that. I will have to research that. Beetles that look just like sweet ladybugs. Hope not.