PDA

View Full Version : Discordianism: The Future

TheGrandInquisitor
November 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Let's face it. Discordianism is a 50 year old joke that's wearing a little thin. It is time for us to position ourselves for the current decade and plan for the future. The same old thing isn't working. The recent presidential election makes a very nice outline for throwing sand in the gears. At times in Discordia I feel I am in a painted bus going to a Dead concert. Then something like the BIP comes around and hope is born.
Where do we want to see Discordia in 5 of 10 years. Will we be plastering the same old posters on toilet doors? Certainly not spouting nonsense about pineal glands and such.
There is a wind of change blowing and the time is right for us to change. I almost see Discordia as a little fluffy right now. We have and do pride ourselves on being able to think for ourselves and to make our own decisions. But have we fallen into quicksand? Are we mired down in the way we've always done things? it has never been our goal to convince others we are right and our opinions are all that. It is our goal to get others to get their own opinion. To wake up. To stop being followers. To alter the status quo. Discordia is not a political organization although many of us are active in politics. It is more a loosely banded group with similar thoughts. A lot of the Discordians I know are above average intelligence and are very well informed on many subjects. Our numbers are small and we have always been looking to strengthen them, but recently only about 1 in 10 is 'getting' it. New members who show up just to follow and ride coattails are doomed to failure. Yes, we eat our own at times. Discordia needs individuals. Individuals who are unafraid to be their own person, Individuals who keep themselves informed and share information back and forth.
Individuals who think, plan and execute.
At our core most of have a passionate love for freedom and freedom of speech. No one person can speak for another Discordian. We are as varied as any other group of people. We tend as a rule to hate 'hive mind' activity.
However we do need to make some adjustments. Certainly not in lowering our standards but in the way we go about accomplishing things.
I am starting a freedom watchdog cabal here where I live. I am going to not attack each infringement of freedom individually but as a group. If we allow one infringement at the local level, where we can actually make a difference then we are opening the floodgates for more. I will defend things I personal don't support in the name of freedom. That's what freedom really is you know? The personal basic right of every individual to make their own decisions. There are other ways to bring Discordia into this new century and I want to hear your ideas.

Or kill me.

Little Billy
November 10th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Me, I'm just going to giggle as the grinning bastard does his thing.

Darth Brooks
November 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Setians also despise the "hive mentality" and we've also been known to eat our own. (Figuratively speaking, of course... :nonono:). And we could also use some changes in light of the twenty-first century. But I know that in our case, change can only come on an individual level...There simply are not enough Setians in the world to mastermind any sort of scheme for world liberation, plus we are all too busy following up on our own solitary initiations to really do anything together as a unified culture...Unless you're a Temple of Set member and you can afford to go to the annual Conclaves, which I understand are a lot of fun...But alas, more important things are at stake in today's world than get-togethers at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas...

Excuse me, I am derailing myself.

Anyway, I don't know if what we got is anything like what you got, but if it is, then the change will have to begin at an individual level. I like what you mention about starting your freedom watchdog group in your own neighborhood. That right there is an excellent idea and what I especially like about it is that it doesn't sound like a "Discordians only" thing. I find these things are usually more successful when one can get all sorts of people involved, instead of only one particular type of people. If I was in your neighborhood, I would join you. As it stands however, I think my current situation and location demand that I take a more occult (as in occluded) approach toward our common goal. There are an awful lot of people in my neighborhood who are terribly pissed off that Obama won, and given certain reactions which persisted for a time after I made the mistake of publicly criticizing Bush in my town, I'm none too interested in getting myself martyred.

Rowan Darkmoon
November 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I am not a Discordian, so I feel a bit weird posting here, but I think that it's important, like TGI said to work on the local level to espouse ideals of freedom.

I don't care on the Internet like I do in real life, I don't try to espouse the ideals that I fight for in my day to day life. I suppose that seems odd given the relative anonymity of the format(you would think that people would feel more free to do that), but I force myself in real life to combat that which I view as an impugning freedom because I hold myself more accountable. To me it feels more real, more effective.

I use those ideas to align my moral beliefs with those of my actions because my religion is relatively that of my own creation, which I admit, and I refuse to blindly follow the espoused morality of the majority, but also refuse to be immoral.

Anyway, this is what I do, and it works for me, and I think it's good. So...now I'm leaving. :bolt:

GEBS
November 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM
However we do need to make some adjustments. Certainly not in lowering our standards

I have met some great people that are Discordians. And on the flip side I have met people that identify as Discordian with minds smaller than that of a gnat. Enlighten the gnats but don't embrace them until they get over the juvenile "I'm in it for the lulz" stage. There are some Discordians that I enjoy reading. I see well thought out responses. I see intelligence. I see people that pay attention to their surroundings on a local and global scale. Those are the people that should be the future of Discordia. Those people need to be on the forefront of waking up the rest of society. Not the gnats that give you guys a bad name.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I have not studied Discordia to the extent that I should if I am giving advice about how to move forward. Feel free to ignore me. Or not. I see Discordia much like Satanism. Think for yourself. Use your mind instead of just your mouth. I know Satanism is as misunderstood as much as Discordia (maybe more). People that take the time to do some research would be surprised at what they find. It just takes that first step to see beyond the public image.

Anyway, I'm tired so I ramble. Good luck to you.

TheGrandInquisitor
November 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I appreciate all of the responses. Rowan just because this is in the Discordian forum certainly doesn't exclude any input from non-Discordians.
GEBS you have nailed it. That is why our numbers are small.

Dr. Howl, that is why you are a beloved Discordian Saint.

Darth it has to be a local issue, but it can be organized over the 'net as well for maximum input.

Little Billy
November 24th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I have met some great people that are Discordians. And on the flip side I have met people that identify as Discordian with minds smaller than that of a gnat.

And sometimes they're the same people.

We sometimes have a tendency to idiocy. It's part and parcel of the disorder side of things.

On the other hand, we also tend to get a lot more creative after a spell of idiocy.

So just think of us as The Fool from any standard Tarot deck.

KarmaKanik
April 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Bump. Not enough interest isn't good enough reason to drop a thread like this.

C. Iulia Regilia
April 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
I think it's as modern as anything else. Discordianism is a method not a dogma, and no one says that you even have to revere the Discordia (actually I think it's a sin... or not). But I see it as I see the image of the laughing Buddha -- the idea is to laugh at the illusions around you and the illusions that you personally hold dear. It's not about even Eris. It just is.

Maybe it's the revenge of Jygalagg -- if you stay long enough you'll destroy all that your chaos created. (cookie for the reference)

Landra
April 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
I can classify myself only as "eclectic pagan" as far as my religious and cultural affiliations, but I do incorporate some Discordian ideals into my world view, or at least what I think of as being Discordian.

I love playing subjective reality against objective reality and making people question what's right in front of their faces. The grand truth of the universe is incomprehensible, and therefore irrelevant, so you might as well just make up your own truth as you go along.

There's something very ironic and a little confusing about trying to begin any organized effort within a philosophy based entirely on the concepts of disorder and chaos, but then again, isn't that kind of the point? If everything suddenly made sense, I would be truly perplexed.

Anyway, I think any legitimate effort in Discordia to improve the world would have to be conducted one person at a time. I've never actually seen a "Discordian group" and I'm still not sure it's possible for one to exist for the simple reason that the group dynamic tends to suppress individuality in proportion to the closeness of the organization and the scale of its goals.

However, I think every group should have a Discordian member, because chaos is the cure for stagnation, and stagnation leads to entropy.

So, I think the solution is simply this: Encourage every man, woman, child, talking animal and self aware robot you might happen to meet to open their eyes, use both sides of their brain at the same time, grow a backbones, and be themselves. If you follow the herd long enough you're bound to step in something unpleasant; that's just the law of averages.

To borrow from the movie Serenity, "I don't care what you believe, just believe." Walking through one's entire life and never wondering if there's a deeper meaning to anything isn't acceptable if you ask me.

May you find what you seek,
Landra