PDA

View Full Version : Drawing for the complete and utter beginer

KageMori
November 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
ive always loved to draw and do art ever since i was little but ive never been any good at it at all. ive always sucked and only ever been able to draw ugly little stick figures. but ive always wanted to draw. to be able to get the images and pictures in my head on paper in a way that writing never could do for me. to be able to do the illistrations for my stories they way i invision them that no hired artist could ever really do.
ive used diffrent kinds of 'how to draw' books over the years and so my art has improved some but not alot. but now after doing a bit of searching on amazon and stuff ive found a book that i hope will help me. ive read the reviews for it and everyone says its a really great book for begining artists and that they've improved alot on their art after using it and so i hope it will help me.
please wish me luck on my new artistic adventure. im gonna need all the help i can get!:toofless:

staticonthewire
November 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Good luck to you.

Is any of your work posted where it could be seen? It's rare that anyone is passionate about their art but still insists they see no merit in their productions. So I'd be curious to see what you're talking about...

KageMori
November 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
yea i got it posted.

staticonthewire
November 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, the single example you post is unpracticed, yes, but not dreadful. You need to work, is all. A thousand drawings from now, compare your skills then to your skills now.

Unfetter yourself. Draw with your eyes closed, with just a mental picture. Draw with your left hand if you're right-handed, with your right if you're a lefty. Draw while looking at your paper in a mirror.

Exercise with paint instead of pencils. Use no black. Allow yourself no outlines, only blocks of color. Push charcoal around on paper with your fingers. Cover a sheet with several colors and make an image with water, by removing color.

Draw abstracts. Let your hands move to music. Draw while standing up, sitting down, in the dark, outside, inside, in coffee shops and movies.

Experiment with technique. Pour ink on a paper and fold it or blow on it, and then draw into the abstract shapes that result. Put a sheet on top of a speaker and let the vibrations guide your ink or paint until you see something in it. Make collages. Try impasto or other sculptural techniques. Paint and write on your body. Use mystical tools and materials.

Explore digital options. Play with Inkscape, or Blender if you want to explore 3D modeling. Don't limit yourself to trad media - tear bits of paper and glue them on chunks of plywood, then draw on them.

Many of these exercises will make you uncomfortable, but just deal with it and keep working. They are all designed to break down mental barriers and let you understand form and color in new ways. The point is to make stunning visual images and then lead the results back into your love of drawing.

Set yourself an impossible goal of ten drawings or paintings a day, or twenty. Make sure you spend almost all your time on only one or two of these, and do the balance quickly.

Write the date and time and place of creation for every image on the back, and keep them in chronological order. Examine your progress once a week, once a month. Analyze when you were doing your best, try to replicate the circumstances.

Don't expect finished works at this point in your progress, you're all about practice for the next six months or so.

You clearly are suffering from no disability, your posted sketch demonstrates that. You simply haven't done it enough. You're the noob, is all. Be patient and disciplined and Get Good.

KageMori
November 13th, 2008, 01:05 AM
thanks for the tips. i'll be sure to give those a try.