PDA

View Full Version : Wood heat reminder!

Shanti
November 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Winter is upon us in the north.

If you heat with wood...remember to clean that chimney or stove pipe before and during the burning season!

My mate did an excellent job. Our stovepipe goes straight up with no bends.
The cap on top comes off and my mate can get the whole pipe scrubbed with the stove pipe brush and extensions.

We thoroughly clean the pipe, heat reclaimer, and stove at the start of the season, A wash and scrub down, then we maintain them monthly all through the winter.

Dont get burned....keep your pipes or chimney free from creosote!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a public message brought to you by...
Shanti the daily firestarter! :)

materra
November 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Winter is upon us in the north.

If you heat with wood...remember to clean that chimney or stove pipe before and during the burning season!

My mate did an excellent job. Our stovepipe goes straight up with no bends.
The cap on top comes off and my mate can get the whole pipe scrubbed with the stove pipe brush and extensions.

We thoroughly clean the pipe, heat reclaimer, and stove at the start of the season, A wash and scrub down, then we maintain them monthly all through the winter.

Dont get burned....keep your pipes or chimney free from creosote!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a public message brought to you by...
Shanti the daily firestarter! :)

QFT

You cannot mistake the roar of a cresote fire. Scares you half to death. Even after the roar is done you have to worry your roof will go.

Shanti
November 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
QFT

You cannot mistake the roar of a cresote fire. Scares you half to death. Even after the roar is done you have to worry your roof will go.
I have never heard the sound. I hope I never do.

Its sad when you hear of a fire, there was one up the road from us last year, and it could of been prevented with simple maintenance.

The people up the road from us kept there fire going all night as well as all day, we don't keep it going at night as I'm to frightened to, and they didn't keep the chimney clean. One night the chimney caught and the entire house was a loss. Luckily the people all got out safe.

We see the remains of that farm house still when we drive down the road.
It all could of been prevented. :(

madness
November 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
We see the remains of that farm house still when we drive down the road.
It all could of been prevented. :(

Dang, what a reminder to keep the chimney clean! :awwman:

banondraig
November 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Dang, what a reminder to keep the chimney clean! :awwman:

Seriously.

materra
November 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Yes, absolutely a sad reminder. We had to heat 24-7 as we didn't have a heat source back up. We had a stone lined stove and once every month to 6 weeks the fire would be left to go out and once it was cool enough my ex would clean the stove pipe. Funny, we heated with wood, my in laws heated with wood, my mom and dad did when we lived on the farm and not one problem. But the one time we rented a place and we had a fire because the landlord hadn't cleaned the kitchen wood stove in years. Fortunately everyone and thing survived but still, what a scary noise.

GEBS
November 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
Our fireplace is natural gas. :dis:
I miss the smell of real wood burning. I would trade the ease of flipping a switch to get fire for the wonderful smell of real fire any day.

Cindlady2
November 22nd, 2008, 06:17 AM
I lost 2 cousins to a chimney fire many years ago. My Aunt had been at my Uncle for weeks to clean it. Sad, sad story:(